ADVERTISEMENT

Ship has sailed on Marshall, Archie and Donovan (welcome Coach Alford?)

Blobby

Recruit
Mar 21, 2015
See below for the timeline for the notable jobs that have come open this year. It's a good illustration that any competent program that expects a job opening (Oklahoma State was blindsided by Underwood's departure after a good year, so they aren't in here) has their man identified well in advance and hires him as soon as he's available. I suspect LSU kicked the tires on someone who lost in the NCAA tourney on Saturday or Sunday before hiring Wade, but on the whole the announcement is ready the day after your guy loses in the tourney.

Given all of that, I think it's safe to say there's no way it's going to be Marshall, Archie Miller, Billy Donovan or of course Brad Stevens. Seems like IU is waiting for Steve to lose in the tourney and will hire him the next day. No way they'd drag their feet on hiring Marshall or Archie if they didn't have assurances from Alford that he would take the job. I guess it's possible that it could be Holtmann or Mack (or even Mike White from Florida, although that doesn't seem like a likely fit), but seems like a longer shot to me. Hiring the search firm to do background (CYA for Fred) on the Pierre Pierce matter makes sense.

Illinois hired Underwood one day after he lost in the NCAA tournament.
Mizzou hired Cuonzo one day after he lost in the NIT.
Washington hired Hopkins one day after Syracuse lost in the NIT.
LSU hired Will Wade four days after VCU lost in the NCAA tournament.
NC State hired Kevin Keatts one day after Wilmington lost in the NCAA tournament.

See below for the timeline for the notable jobs that have come open this year. It's a good illustration that any competent program that expects a job opening (Oklahoma State was blindsided by Underwood's departure after a good year, so they aren't in here) has their man identified well in advance and hires him as soon as he's available. I suspect LSU kicked the tires on someone who lost in the NCAA tourney on Saturday or Sunday before hiring Wade, but on the whole the announcement is ready the day after your guy loses in the tourney.

Given all of that, I think it's safe to say there's no way it's going to be Marshall, Archie Miller, Billy Donovan or of course Brad Stevens. Seems like IU is waiting for Steve to lose in the tourney and will hire him the next day. No way they'd drag their feet on hiring Marshall or Archie if they didn't have assurances from Alford that he would take the job. I guess it's possible that it could be Holtmann or Mack (or even Mike White from Florida, although that doesn't seem like a likely fit), but seems like a longer shot to me. Hiring the search firm to do background (CYA for Fred) on the Pierre Pierce matter makes sense.

NC State hired Kevin Keatts one day after Wilmington lost in the NCAA tournament.

yuck but i'll guess we'll have to make do :(

If we are to believe FG, there will be a whole slew of interviews. I never expected IU to have a new coach until the NCAA tournament was over and the playoffs in the NBA started to shake out.

I don't think Marshall wants to leave. I expect WSU to leave the MVC and he will be coaching on a bigger stage. If they go to the American Conference, Marshall can build up his schedule and get a more favorable draw in the NCAA and improve chances to advance.

Excuse me if I don't panic that IU didn't hire a guy like those 5 in one day.

It's either a complex negotiation, the candidate is still playing in the tourney, or both.

Last edited:
Reactions: asindc
I don't think Marshall wants to leave. I expect WSU to leave the MVC and he will be coaching on a bigger stage. If they go to the American Conference, Marshall can build up his schedule and get a more favorable draw in the NCAA and improve chances to advance.

That would definitely seem like a good move for Marshall. No way his team deserved a 10 seed this year.

Did all these schools have search firm working for them? I doubt it. Never say never. Both college coaches you mentioned are not supposed to be on the A list anyway. Donovan, like I said in the previous post, we probably won't hear anything before any decision is done on Alford.

Reactions: moneyadvisor
Not one of those teams are close to IU in regards to a basketball program. They can make a 1 day hire and fans love it. Again, Glass knows what's at stake. He can and should be able to take his time to get this right.

That would definitely seem like a good move for Marshall. No way his team deserved a 10 seed this year.
WSU can run up the score on lesser teams or grind out a win in the 60's. He really builds a team that can win in NCAA games. They play good defense and control the tempo with their defense as much as their offense. Keeping the game in the 60's against good teams allows them to choke the other team off at the end of a game and score using good offensive fundamentals.

I have just talked myself into wanting him more!

Reactions: IUPaterade724
WSU can run up the score on lesser teams or grind out a win in the 60's. He really builds a team that can win in NCAA games. They play good defense and control the tempo with their defense as much as their offense. Keeping the game in the 60's against good teams allows them to choke the other team off at the end of a game and score using good offensive fundamentals.

Yep, you just did the same to me as well. lol

I love Marshall as a coach, but IMO he is better at a smaller/less scrutinized school to get who he wants and run it his way not beholden to "Blood Blood" boosters or fans. I put him in the same category as Few at Gonzaga, enjoys not having the "Blue Blood" pressures.

At IU, I can see his recruiting being criticized. He looks for pieces for his system and buy into his philosophy. Top recruits don't always fit into that program.

IU needs someone that has navigated the "blue blood" program. \

Just my view.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
I love Marshall as a coach, but IMO he is better at a smaller/less scrutinized school to get who he wants and run it his way not beholden to "Blood Blood" boosters or fans. I put him in the same category as Few at Gonzaga, enjoys not having the "Blue Blood" pressures.

At IU, I can see his recruiting being criticized. He looks for pieces for his system and buy into his philosophy. Top recruits don't always fit into that program.

Just my view.

I don't discredit this view, it's very fair imo. Mark Few and Greg Marshall both have it made for life at their respective universities.

Reactions: Sope Creek

No way that it means that. Mark me down as happy we didn't already hire a coach because it means that IU is taking a long look at this and not taking the first one who is done coaching for the year. All the coaches that have been mentioned as the possible next coach are still out there so I see no reason to panic at all.

I think that teams that are built on defense are more likely to be built around 4-year players. And those team are vastly more fun to watch.

Being that Marshall and Archie Miller havent been named in any other openings kind of means they could be waiting around to see what Indiana does before they move on.

I think at this point it's obvious it's not going to be Alford.

Other than that, we're all just guessing, including you.

Just my view.
True. There would be people critical of him if he doesn't bring in 5 star recruits or McDonald's All Americans. Wisconsin, Butler, and others have done well with a system and expecting players will be at the school for 4 years. Teams can run up against a deeper and more athletic team in the tournament and fall short. He would need to step up the talent for the conference and for tourney success. I believe he could do that at IU.

What makes it obvious?
There is no way the university is going to want to deal with the Iowa baggage. UCLA had to deal with it, and it's already coming back around again now that his name is being mentioned for our job.

Just my view.
I think Marshall would make a great coach and his wife would probably fit right in with the rabid fans at AH. I don't know how he would recruit. I am less enamored with Alford as a coach and person but if he could recruit talent here like his latest class coming to UCLA, he is worth the risk.

True. There would be people critical of him if he doesn't bring in 5 star recruits or McDonald's All Americans. Wisconsin, Butler, and others have done well with a system and expecting players will be at the school for 4 years. Teams can run up against a deeper and more athletic team in the tournament and fall short. He would need to step up the talent for the conference and for tourney success. I believe he could do that at IU.

I agree, he is capable of doing it. I think if left alone, he could get IU to the Final Four. THe questions is would the powers that be (Alumni, Boosters, ect...) allow him to do it? He is a system guy and many times recruiting systems players don't always make big school fans giddy.

IMO, Miller is a better fit. I think Millers schemes can work better with the 5 star Burge Boy guys a place like IU expects. I think Miller is a great hire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT