ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Dolson Signed a Three Year Contract in May 2024

Tammany Hall

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2010
Interesting IU didn't announce this. That's weak. It took a records request to get the info. See link below.

IndyStar Article

When this contract was signed in May there were obviously no actual improved results (as in wins) in the two major sports. However, it appears the Cig hire, NIL boost that helped our '24 Bball class and hopefully future classes, and general fundraising results were enough. I can only guess.

This contract is an ~80% raise and brings Scott's comp more in line with similar schools in the B1G. That's not unreasonable.

Personally, I think Scott is okay and now a net positive. He came in with no experience outside of IU (imo an outside hire would have made more sense) and probably made some mistakes early. Aside from that he's done a good job setting up our very important NIL structure/collectives, FB is trending up and he likely deserves most of the credit there, and he has always been a good fundraiser. On the BBall side, it's so political I don't know what's going on, except that it's too political.

Just my opinion, others may see it differently and that's fine. Interesting piece of news though.

I'm a huge fan of Dolson. In my mind:

1) He has consistently supported the WBB program, which now appears to have consistent momentum in both the short and long term.
2) The Cig hire looks to be a brilliant move and keeps us relevant in our most money-making sport. We'll see how the season goes along, but the team is playing nasty, smart, well-coached football.
3) Academics appears to be on track for our athletes, even in the era of NIL.
4) A resurgence in the success of our Olympics sports - we had 20 in Paris (tied with 20 in 1976 for second-most in our history; first was 23 in 1968).

I agree with IUgradman - the Woody hire increasingly looks like it was made by people above Dolson; it looks like Dolson has about as much say in that decision as he does in that to hire Whitten (next to zero). Not sure how Woody's going to play out, but this season should tell us everything we need to know in my opinion.

I'm a huge fan of Dolson. In my mind:

1) He has consistently supported the WBB program, which now appears to have consistent momentum in both the short and long term.
2) The Cig hire looks to be a brilliant move and keeps us relevant in our most money-making sport. We'll see how the season goes along, but the team is playing nasty, smart, well-coached football.
3) Academics appears to be on track for our athletes, even in the era of NIL.
4) A resurgence in the success of our Olympics sports - we had 20 in Paris (tied with 20 in 1976 for second-most in our history; first was 23 in 1968).

I agree with IUgradman - the Woody hire increasingly looks like it was made by people above Dolson; it looks like Dolson has about as much say in that decision as he does in that to hire Whitten (next to zero). Not sure how Woody's going to play out, but this season should tell us everything we need to know in my opinion.
Good post.

Interesting IU didn't announce this. That's weak. It took a records request to get the info. See link below.

IndyStar Article

When this contract was signed in May there were obviously no actual improved results (as in wins) in the two major sports. However, it appears the Cig hire, NIL boost that helped our '24 Bball class and hopefully future classes, and general fundraising results were enough. I can only guess.

This contract is an ~80% raise and brings Scott's comp more in line with similar schools in the B1G. That's not unreasonable.

Personally, I think Scott is okay and now a net positive. He came in with no experience outside of IU (imo an outside hire would have made more sense) and probably made some mistakes early. Aside from that he's done a good job setting up our very important NIL structure/collectives, FB is trending up and he likely deserves most of the credit there, and he has always been a good fundraiser. On the BBall side, it's so political I don't know what's going on, except that it's too political.

Just my opinion, others may see it differently and that's fine. Interesting piece of news though.
It is odd the university didn't announce this. Any thoughts as to why?

It is odd the university didn't announce this. Any thoughts as to why?
Not sure. Quick search indicates schools usually announce this sort of thing.

In May when this was signed we were coming off bad football and basketball seasons. I can only guess it was easier for IU to keep quiet on it. Imo they should be transparent and announce it and explain their rationale. But, big picture this is not a big deal.

IndyStar Article

Scott is the man for the job and always has been.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT