Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2002
.. on the way back from a meeting.

And so it begins.

May you live in interesting times .....

And so it begins.

Depending on how and on what she campaigns, she could be the antidote to Trump for the GOP. Question is, would Trump nip her in the bud?

And so it begins.

Depending on how and on what she campaigns, she could be the antidote to Trump for the GOP. Question is, would Trump nip her in the bud?
This. The perfect antidote.

The primary would be ugly, of course. But man oh man, can you imagine those two squaring off against each other? She would eat Trump alive.

Try 2024. She has no chance again Trump in 2020. 0%.

She wants to distance herself from Trump before running in 2024. There is probably also more to the story of her resignation than we are aware of as the timing is very odd.

And so it begins.

Might be that she's getting independent enough to buttress a Trump 2020 campaign by replacing Pence as the VP candidate. She'd be a more viable successor, at least politically, than Pence, IMO. Haley would be 52 in 6 years, and Pence would be 65 - which isn't too old, but it seems to me he's already looking pretty darned emasculated politically for a presidential run. Haley would give the Trump administration a chance to extend for at least +4 and maybe +8 years.

Pence was absolutely essential to Trump evangelical support and Trump knows that. Trump founnd the perfect stooge in Pence. I don't see Trump dropping Pence.

Reactions: meridian

She wants to distance herself from Trump before running in 2024. There is probably also more to the story of her resignation than we are aware of as the timing is very odd.
Why do you see the timing of her resignation as odd? Seems perfectly timed . . . she's not leaving until the end of the year, which means that she's leaving just as the crap is about to hit the fan, if there's anything to the Mueller investigation. And if the GOP craps out in any significant way - losing the house, for example - she won't have to live through governing with a divided congress . . . seems to me the perfect time to go, if she wants to remain independent of Trump to any degree.

Might be that she's getting independent enough to buttress a Trump 2020 campaign by replacing Pence as the VP candidate. She'd be a more viable successor, at least politically, than Pence, IMO. Haley would be 52 in 6 years, and Pence would be 65 - which isn't too old, but it seems to me he's already looking pretty darned emasculated politically for a presidential run. Haley would give the Trump administration a chance to extend for at least +4 and maybe +8 years.

The speculation I've read is that after Lindsey Graham is given a cabinet position, Haley will take his Senate seat. That makes the most sense to me.

Pence was absolutely essential to Trump evangelical support and Trump knows that. Trump founnd the perfect stooge in Pence. I don't see Trump dropping Pence.
That, and he needs Pence to help move his legislative agenda along in congress . . .

. . . but I think Trump might be figuring he can take a risk with evangelicals because their loyalty would be to Trump more so than Pence by 2020. Pence has served his function, and in true Trumpian fashion once Pence's help has been provided and absorbed by Trump it'll be time for Trump to move on to the next political trend - women.

Reactions: iuwclurker
Why do you see the timing of her resignation as odd? Seems perfectly timed . . . she's not leaving until the end of the year, which means that she's leaving just as the crap is about to hit the fan, if there's anything to the Mueller investigation. And if the GOP craps out in any significant way - losing the house, for example - she won't have to live through governing with a divided congress . . . seems to me the perfect time to go, if she wants to remain independent of Trump to any degree.

What's odd is that it was very abrupt. Her own staff wasn't aware? Pompeo and Bolton were unaware?

Normally, you don't suddenly resign... And normally that would be announced after November.

She doesn't govern, so that's irrelevant to her duties. Cogress has no oversight of her role at the UN. Heck, Pompeo is ignoring his meetings with Congress.

The speculation I've read is that after Lindsey Graham is given a cabinet position, Haley will take his Senate seat. That makes the most sense to me.
That does seem reasonable, if Graham takes a Trump cabinet position.

Why would Graham do that?

What's odd is that it was very abrupt. Her own staff wasn't aware? Pompeo and Bolton were unaware?

Normally, you don't suddenly resign... And normally that would be announced after November.

She doesn't govern, so that's irrelevant to her duties. Cogress has no oversight of her role at the UN. Heck, Pompeo is ignoring his meetings with Congress.
Haley seems to like to control her narrative. She probably told no one, maybe not even her husband.

Reactions: toastedbread
That does seem reasonable, if Graham takes a Trump cabinet position.

Why would Graham do that?

Some other Haley speculation is that her Chief of Staff wrote that op ed. He was previously caught undermining Trump through Pence. He is a professional pollster who serves as a Chief of Staff at the UN. She is known to be the most politically ambitious person in the entire country.

Whatever the exact circumstances of this decision, it's clear that it somehow relates to her presidential ambitions.

Why wouldn't he? Sure seemed like he was auditioning for AG during the Kavanaugh hearings. He's also gone from someone who claimed to stand up to Trump to a total ass licker.
My sense was that Graham (a) knew that politically he'd have to vote to confirm Kavanaugh's nomination, and (b) he saw the GOP prosecutor about read to catch Kavanaugh's more sensitive parts in a ringer and went ballistic to draw attention to himself and off of Kavanaugh . . . .

Reactions: UncleMark
My sense was that Graham (a) knew that politically he'd have to vote to confirm Kavanaugh's nomination, and (b) he saw the GOP prosecutor about read to catch Kavanaugh's more sensitive parts in a ringer and went ballistic to draw attention to himself and off of Kavanaugh . . . .

Thats all true. But you have to look at his behavior more broadly. He has become a total Trump sycophant.

Who's the 10 and who's the 0? Man, that is one washed-out, haggard look.

merlin_145070952_7b9d720c-ba3e-4dc6-8fb2-a7fe27efa71b-threeByTwoLargeAt2X.jpg

Sorry, chump, u can't touch this.

Her age gives her plenty of time. I always thought Obama jumped the gun. He could have let Hillary be president 4 or 8 years and then cakewalked into the presidency with a lot more experience. Selfish beyotch, now he gets to retire young and surf Hawaii all he wants.

All of the above.

She’s extremely ambitious.

She’s very close to Pence, and his obvious future VP choice. If he stumbles, she’s the front runner.

She’s a very talented politician.

She finds Trump’s appeals to racist nativism abhorrent.

She, or her staff chief most likely wrote the NYT op ed piece.

She wanted the State Department, but Pompeo has won that battle.

There’s no upside to staying, and now is the perfect time to get out.

Reactions: pdtkkg
Sounds like she may need some private sector money

https://outline.com/7CMvTS

In her resignation letter to President Donald Trump, she wrote: "As a businessman I expect you will appreciate my sense that returning from government to the private sector is not a step down but a step up."

Haley's finances have received attention in the past, notably how they see-sawed before she became governor 2010.

Her family earnings swayed from $65,700 in 2004 to $40,300 in 2006 to $196,300 in 2009 when she got a job with Lexington Medical Center.

Last year, the Haleys managed to reduce some of their debt by selling the shopping center that once housed Nikki Haley parents' clothing store, Exotica International.

Sounds like she may need some private sector money

https://outline.com/7CMvTS

In her resignation letter to President Donald Trump, she wrote: "As a businessman I expect you will appreciate my sense that returning from government to the private sector is not a step down but a step up."

Haley's finances have received attention in the past, notably how they see-sawed before she became governor 2010.

Her family earnings swayed from $65,700 in 2004 to $40,300 in 2006 to $196,300 in 2009 when she got a job with Lexington Medical Center.

Last year, the Haleys managed to reduce some of their debt by selling the shopping center that once housed Nikki Haley parents' clothing store, Exotica International.

How delicious will it be when the first female president of the U.S. will be Nikki Haley and not one of the soulless, brainless dolts such as Harris, Warren or Gillibrand? And, to further the good times, how about routing one of the young guns such as Kerry, Bernie or Uncle Joe, those wacky (then) octogenarians? Will some of the usual suspects come out of the woodwork and say there's a special place in Hell for any woman who doesn't vote for a woman or that any woman not voting for Haley is a traitor to her gender?

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
This. The perfect antidote.

The primary would be ugly, of course. But man oh man, can you imagine those two squaring off against each other? She would eat Trump alive.
Don't bet on it.
Trump has the "religious" fanatics, white supremacists, and other nutcases behind him. :(

She didn’t sound at all today like she was distancing from Trump. On the contrary, she praised him over and over again.

Reactions: herrli
WAPO:

Notoriously fearful of media leaks, Haley has long micromanaged her own image and career and has kept extraordinarily close counsel, discussing major career moves only with her family and a clutch of key advisers. During her 2010 gubernatorial campaign, she kept her own schedule, pecked out emails late into the night and personally monitored comments on her Facebook page.

Katon Dawson, former chairman of the South Carolina Republican Party, said Haley’s whirlwind resignation was probably deliberate.

“She’s certainly not confused,” Dawson said. “What you saw was vintage Nikki Haley.”​

How delicious will it be when the first female president of the U.S. will be Nikki Haley and not one of the soulless, brainless dolts such as Harris, Warren or Gillibrand? And, to further the good times, how about routing one of the young guns such as Kerry, Bernie or Uncle Joe, those wacky (then) octogenarians? Will some of the usual suspects come out of the woodwork and say there's a special place in Hell for any woman who doesn't vote for a woman or that any woman not voting for Haley is a traitor to her gender?
Your snark aside, Haley strikes me as a very serious threat to Democrats as soon as she runs for president. If Democrats don't figure out how to get out of their own way and focus on jobs and the economy, I think she'd steamroll anyone they nominate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT