ADVERTISEMENT

SAT ACT

mcmurtry66

Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2019
Those with high school kids. Apparently a study was done re the Ivy plus schools and high school gpa is a lousy predictor of college ability and standardized scores were a much better predictor. I was talking to a teach at my daughter’s school. Sounds like the pendulum may swing back

Sign up for those review courses. Cheaper than the amorphous college prep services

Those with high school kids. Apparently a study was done re the Ivy plus schools and high school gpa is a lousy predictor of college ability and standardized scores were a much better predictor. I was talking to a teach at my daughter’s school. Sounds like the pendulum may swing back

Sign up for those review courses. Cheaper than the amorphous college prep services
Gee, who could have predicted that?

GPA means absolutely nothing in High School these days. I had a 3.9. Pretty impressive eh?

Not really, in many advanced courses an A earned you a 5.3.

Up until Covid the ACT/ SAT scales were in peril. Prep courses and the like had gamed the system where you average good student was getting up in the 1400’s and 30’s and the really good students were getting 33+, 1500+ Ivy type scores.

Now for the first time in maybe ever the scores are coming down. So that’s a win I guess?

Up until Covid the ACT/ SAT scales were in peril. Prep courses and the like had gamed the system where you average good student was getting up in the 1400’s and 30’s and the really good students were getting 33+, 1500+ Ivy type scores.

Now for the first time in maybe ever the scores are coming down. So that’s a win I guess?
interesting

Kinda does depend upon the school you intend to go to for college. My son graduated last June and applied to several schools. Most applications actually had the SAT / ACT score section as "optional". Kinda got the impression that you could put it down if you thought that your score was good enough to be better than average, but if you got a low score, you could keep it off.
Now, it's possible that practice will be discontinued because a lot of colleges were understanding to the fact that the Covid years did a number on kids and set them back a bit. So that may only apply for another year or two.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
GPA means absolutely nothing in High School these days. I had a 3.9. Pretty impressive eh?

Not really, in many advanced courses an A earned you a 5.3.
Then the scope of your GPA changes, and the value of the classes you take should factor in. They didn't have weighted grades in the late 80's, or at least Carmel didn't. I think colleges know how to adjust how to adapt for coursework and weighted grades.

The flip of it is the NCAA only values 4.0 grade scale, so regardless of if the HS adjusts grades for strength of class, to the NCAA an A is 4.0. A B is 3.0. There is no +/-. So a B- is infinitely better than a C+ but the same as a B+.

Here comes Dartmouth. Ivy League institutions are clearly not what they once were.

The New Hampshire school said it was making the move based on new research showing that, at Ivy League and other highly selective schools, standardized test scores help predict first-year college performance—even better than high-school grades do.

“I’ve become less convinced that [test] optional is working for us at Dartmouth,” said Lee Coffin, vice president and dean of admissions and financial aid. “We’re reanimating the policy based on evidence.”

https://www.wsj.com/us-news/educati...-requirement-in-first-for-ivy-league-fde9ddfb

Here comes Dartmouth. Ivy League institutions are clearly not what they once were.

The New Hampshire school said it was making the move based on new research showing that, at Ivy League and other highly selective schools, standardized test scores help predict first-year college performance—even better than high-school grades do.

“I’ve become less convinced that [test] optional is working for us at Dartmouth,” said Lee Coffin, vice president and dean of admissions and financial aid. “We’re reanimating the policy based on evidence.”

https://www.wsj.com/us-news/educati...-requirement-in-first-for-ivy-league-fde9ddfb
For all of those looking for a Hail Mary this is welcome news

This is a good thing. Sure, kids from wealthy families will have an advantage in access to expensive SAT prep classes, but I’m pretty sure that will always be the case. Regardless, kids from wealthy families have an enormous advantage in gaming the admission process in all other areas. Prep high schools, AP courses, internships, rec letters, etc. As imperfect as they are, standardized test scores are where the middle and lower class kids have a chance.

That's about as surprising as an article I read a year or so ago where doctors said that people in the hospital do a lot better when they get good rest. Yet they come in an wake you up to take your temperature when you've not even been running a temperature.🙁

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT