ADVERTISEMENT

Sage v Cuban

When I rag on legal training I do so in the context of running a business. It’s very different and of little aid. But legal training and practice absolutely trains your brain to think differently. On that I agree with coh
That's what I thought going in. When I went to law school, I signed up for all the electives that would be useful for a business career.

It meant shit. None of that training was helpful. Going to the various Indiana.gov department websites is far more useful than having any of that training. I have a login for both the Courts portal and the DOL portal. Guess which one I use more.

Bullshit. Those clients are simply happy you got the judgment they wanted from other people who did have that training.
Those clients have choices. You think when mas hired floor he didn’t have other choices for his business. A hundred other firms champing at the bit? Law is insanely competitive and clients hold the purse strings. They are who judge

Those clients have choices. You think when mas hired floor he didn’t have other choices for his business. A hundred other firms champing at the bit? Law is insanely competitive and clients hold the purse strings. They are who judge
None of that is responsive to the point I'm making or the topic we were discussing.

COH has this insane idea that the lawyerly thought process is superior to other thought processes. He's wrong. It's not only not superior, it's probably inferior. At the very most, it's average, on par with other ways of examining the world.

Engineers are strange fellows, but they are definitely smart. Like mathematicians who understand the real world exists.
I reached point in my office that I sent all new Engineering clients to subordinates in the office. They all wanted to tell me how versed they were in the tax code. I always wanted to say “why the heck are you here then?” Of course I didn’t.

None of that is responsive to the point I'm making or the topic we were discussing.

COH has this insane idea that the lawyerly thought process is superior to other thought processes. He's wrong. It's not only not superior, it's probably inferior. At the very most, it's average, on par with other ways of examining the world.
Yeah I couldn’t disagree more. It forces you to be creative. It teaches you to interact with all types of people often during stressful conditions in an adversarial setting. It forces you to look at a problem from every angle. It exposes you to more things than any other field. You want to try a med mal case. You better understand the meds as well as a doctor. A construction case. The engineer. Etc.

Yeah I couldn’t disagree more. It forces you to be creative. It teaches you to interact with all types of people often during stressful conditions in an adversarial setting. It forces you to look at a problem from every angle. It exposes you to more things than any other field. You want to try a med mal case. You better understand the meds as well as a doctor. A construction case. The engineer. Etc.
I don't think we will find accord on this. I understand what you are doing and thinking, but my opinion is that it's all an illusion, and you are just coming up with phantasms to explain why your own education is so valuable. I don't think it is. I think we were all snookered.

Were Simpson’s attorneys extremely intelligent or just con men?

I don't think we will find accord on this. I understand what you are doing and thinking, but my opinion is that it's all an illusion, and you are just coming up with phantasms to explain why your own education is so valuable. I don't think it is. I think we were all snookered.
Shit and that’s not even addressing the ability to read and analyze complex laws and apply precedent etc. again I think the training is invaluable.

Where I think the deception or “snooker” comes in is that life has career paths for the most part abd if you later decide the niche of law isn’t for you transitioning to another career isn’t easy as it seems incongruent. You want to work for lily in sales? Become a director and later vp? Why didn’t you go to biz school. Non lawyers don’t know what to think.

Shit and that’s not even addressing the ability to read and analyze complex laws and apply precedent etc. again I think the training is invaluable.

Where I think the deception or “snooker” comes in is that life has career paths for the most part abd if you later decide the niche of law isn’t for you transitioning to another career isn’t easy as it seems incongruent. You want to work for lily in sales? Become a director and later vp? Why didn’t you go to biz school. Non lawyers don’t know what to think.
That's a good point, but isn't it also true that only like 40-45% of trained lawyers actually practice law? Obviously there are other avenues. I'm only talking about the intellectual training. I found law school fascinating. And also difficult, which means something, because other forms of schooling were pathetically easy. I don't think it was worthless. I learned a lot. I just think, in hindsight, it wasn't the best mode of thinking ever invented. I wish I had gotten a biology Ph.D. instead.

That's a good point, but isn't it also true that only like 40-45% of trained lawyers actually practice law? Obviously there are other avenues. I'm only talking about the intellectual training. I found law school fascinating. And also difficult, which means something, because other forms of schooling were pathetically easy. I don't think it was worthless. I learned a lot. I just think, in hindsight, it wasn't the best mode of thinking ever invented. I wish I had gotten a biology Ph.D. instead.
I finished the coursework for a ph.d. The thesis for the master’s was a pain and I was told by my chair that a dissertation could take four years. So instead of doing it I left and went to law school. Never do I regret not getting a doctorate. I wish I would have gotten my mba while in law school or just went to business school instead of law. But I firmly believe law school and the practice shapes your brain in ways like practicing any other skill does. One of which is to be objective even when contrary to your emotions

Why Biology and not Physics?

That's only for Western thought, of course. Add in Laozi and the Upanishads and Sun Tzu for a more rounded philosophical training.
Thanks another screenshot. I spend about 3 hours on the road when I play golf at Evansville. Rather than reading The Cooler & posting, I am going to look for an audio book.

Well that explains it. I had you pegged for Physics.
Smart people have said that the most important question in the world is "Why is there something rather than nothing?" I agree that's an important question, and it's decidedly a physics question. But the more interesting question for me is a biological one: "Granted that there is something, why do I experience it as a living being?" That question is everything to me.

You'd think with my left-dominated brain physics would make more sense, but I just love biology. Life fascinates me more than quasars.
that career path can be whack too. my ex's brother got his ph.d. in nuclear physics from mit. guy was a star. finished and did a post doc at mit. then went to work at los alamos for a few years. then coincidentally did his last post doc at iu. some of the guys who were involved in getting the dept "to the next level" were mit guys. he ended up having a personal conflict with the guy he reported to and it essentially cock blocked him. sweet guy. no common sense. but a brilliant scientist. but you'd think an mit ph.d. in nuclear physics you could write your own check. his brother with a b.a. who went to work at the power company on a referral from his club soccer coach has had a more successful career - certainly financially

Reactions: stollcpa
@Aloha Hoosier obseesive hatred evinces emotion. To pretend otherwise is stupid. To feign like he’s emotionless is stupid
I never said I was emotionless. We all have emotions. I’m an even keeled kind of guy and emotions just aren’t a big driver in my decision making process. I think most of it is just the way I am, but it’s also honed by military training. You just can’t let the crew see you “sweat” in stressful situations and they didn’t. A good leader needs to stay calm and make logical and reasonable decisions. Tests have confirmed what I knew which is that my decisions come from the logic and reason part of the model, not the emotion part.

Hate isn’t the right word for what I think about Trump. He’s very much driven by his emotions rather than reason, logic and discipline. He’s mentally unstable IMO, and he’s just unfit to be Commander in Chief. I believe my assessment is logical and not emotional.

You can think what you want.

I never said I was emotionless. We all have emotions. I’m an even keeled kind of guy and emotions just aren’t a big driver in my decision making process. I think most of it is just the way I am, but it’s also honed by military training. You just can’t let the crew see you “sweat” in stressful situations and they didn’t. A good leader needs to stay calm and make logical and reasonable decisions. Tests have confirmed what I knew which is that my decisions come from the logic and reason part of the model, not the emotion part.

Hate isn’t the right word for what I think about Trump. He’s very much driven by his emotions rather than reason, logic and discipline. He’s mentally unstable IMO, and he’s just unfit to be Commander in Chief. I believe my assessment is logical and not emotional.

You can think what you want.
i think you're driven by emotion re trump and lack the self-awareness to recognize it. otherwise you wouldn't spend all day every day pointing out actions of his that are no different from those of harris/walz

I’ll also add that it reflects low self awareness to not recognize those emotions. People with low self awareness often overestimate their capabilities. The actual dunning-Kruger effect
The thing is that I’m very self-aware. It’s actually a strength. Don’t get emotional about it.

The thing is that I’m very self-aware. It’s actually a strength. Don’t get emotional about it.
you're demonstrating your lack of self-awareness right now. you don't see it.

no one spends all day attacking dbm if they aren't emotional about the issue. you just aren't self-aware.

I don't have the same flowery view of legal training you guys have. I think you're deluding yourselves. I think scientists are better at thinking than we are. I mean, they are just as big of assholes, but I think their thought process is superior.
Dbm said he was a lawyer . . .

Smart people have said that the most important question in the world is "Why is there something rather than nothing?" I agree that's an important question, and it's decidedly a physics question. But the more interesting question for me is a biological one: "Granted that there is something, why do I experience it as a living being?" That question is everything to me.
I started with your first question. I think I need a full gummy!

that career path can be whack too. my ex's brother got his ph.d. in nuclear physics from mit. guy was a star. finished and did a post doc at mit. then went to work at los alamos for a few years. then coincidentally did his last post doc at iu. some of the guys who were involved in getting the dept "to the next level" were mit guys. he ended up having a personal conflict with the guy he reported to and it essentially cock blocked him. sweet guy. no common sense. but a brilliant scientist. but you'd think an mit ph.d. in nuclear physics you could write your own check. his brother with a b.a. who went to work at the power company on a referral from his club soccer coach has had a more successful career - certainly financially
I get in trouble on here measuring success with money.

I agree. Scientists are the best. Engineers are right there too.
Great. I was a Navy Engineer as my primary specialty. The training was 8 hours a day, five days a week for four months. Then OJT on the ship on the way to official qualification. If I had it to do over again, I’d have gone nuclear engineering. My secondary specialty was weapons, which is more fun. 😉

Great. I was a Navy Engineer as my primary specialty. The training was 8 hours a day, five days a week for four months. Then OJT on the ship on the way to official qualification. If I had it to do over again, I’d have gone nuclear engineering. My secondary specialty was weapons, which is more fun. 😉
What a crock! You should have led with Once Upon a Time!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT