ADVERTISEMENT

Russia... Kissinger

NPT

Aug 28, 2001
What do you think of Kissinger's view on the war in Ukraine? I know it's easy to want to bring Russia to its knees but I would hate to think that it would end up in chaos over there with all of those nuclear weapons. However, I just don't see any way out for Putin.... they need to come up with something so he doesn't have to look like the ass that he is.

What do you think of Kissinger's view on the war in Ukraine? I know it's easy to want to bring Russia to its knees but I would hate to think that it would end up in chaos over there with all of those nuclear weapons. However, I just don't see any way out for Putin.... they need to come up with something so he doesn't have to look like the ass that he is.

Negotiation for peace is a good idea.

Kissinger's reference to WWI is interesting: it's a 100 years ago at this point. Not sure how relevant it is. That was really a different world, with different concerns.

But he's obviously correct that a fall of Moscow would create a power vacuum. For the US, I think we might be more worried about what happens on the eastern edge of Russia, not the West because of China. Not sure about natural resources, etc. but we would obviously need to be concerned about who controlled those. Nukes are the existential issue.

In general, though, Kissinger is 99. Time to leave the stage.

Kissinger will be an interesting figure for historians to dissect, but I doubt they will treat him kindly.

His WW1 analogy is wrong in one regard, as the war dragged on and the losses mounted to catastrophic levels, the nations involved had to double down to justify the cost. Russia is going through that. The blame on Wilson is marginal at best.

I would love for Ukraine and Russia to negotiate a settlement. We cannot do it for them. But the reality on the ground is any deal right now would favor Ukraine. Russia will not accept that. So like in so many wars, they will push for the favorable position at which point Ukraine will not accept.

Even if Russia takes the entire country, how many decades will pass before they show a profit?

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta

Before I read the article: Unfortunately, we live in the real world, where what is right must sometimes bow to what is smart. If there is a way to allow Putin out of this with some dignity and save the world a bunch of death and destruction, we should strive for it. HOWEVER, I would not be willing to go to Ukraine and demand they make concessions to allow that to happen. That's our job, not theirs.

Kissinger will be an interesting figure for historians to dissect, but I doubt they will treat him kindly.

His WW1 analogy is wrong in one regard, as the war dragged on and the losses mounted to catastrophic levels, the nations involved had to double down to justify the cost. Russia is going through that. The blame on Wilson is marginal at best.

I would love for Ukraine and Russia to negotiate a settlement. We cannot do it for them. But the reality on the ground is any deal right now would favor Ukraine. Russia will not accept that. So like in so many wars, they will push for the favorable position at which point Ukraine will not accept.

Even if Russia takes the entire country, how many decades will pass before they show a profit?
..'any deal right now would favor Ukraine'...

Could you please explain this statement?

..'any deal right now would favor Ukraine'...

Could you please explain this statement?
Ukraine is in physical possession of almost all the territory Russia wants in their land grab. Ukraine will not sign a deal that forces their troops to abandon Ukrainian held lands. So any deal right now results in Russia launching a war, suffering up to 100,000 killed or wounded, and gaining almost no territory.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Ukraine is in physical possession of almost all the territory Russia wants in their land grab. Ukraine will not sign a deal that forces their troops to abandon Ukrainian held lands. So any deal right now results in Russia launching a war, suffering up to 100,000 killed or wounded, and gaining almost no territory.
Boris and Natasha are laughing at your rank ignorance.

Don't feel bad though, you're not alone.

Boris and Natasha are laughing at your rank ignorance.

Don't feel bad though, you're not alone.
I know you believe everything your Russian handlers tell you, so what do they tell you is wrong? Does Russia actually occupy most of Ukraine.

I know you believe everything your Russian handlers tell you, so what do they tell you is wrong? Does Russia actually occupy most of Ukraine.
You claimed a lot as fact earlier..why are you doubting yourself? Your Bandera handlers can help you out.
Or, you can find retired Marine officer and former nuclear arms inspector Scott Ritter on YT. Or retired former Security Advisor and Cavalry officer and strategist COL Douglas Macgregor..
They MIGHT know a little bit about what they are talking about. Or former Navy veteran Patrick Lancaster.

Or choose the blue pill. It's all the same to me.

You claimed a lot as fact earlier..why are you doubting yourself? Your Bandera handlers can help you out.
Or, you can find retired Marine officer and former nuclear arms inspector Scott Ritter on YT. Or retired former Security Advisor and Cavalry officer and strategist COL Douglas Macgregor..
They MIGHT know a little bit about what they are talking about. Or former Navy veteran Patrick Lancaster.

Or choose the blue pill. It's all the same to me.
Or I can read ISW every single day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT