ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Update and thoughts

Maybe the wheels have already come off. So you don’t consider upgrading talent on the roster in each season as part of the process of getting it done? Do you just wait until the end of the season and check yes or no on your getting it done assessment?
What are you talking about? We had a really ugly year. We have to fill about half our team via the portal. You think that’s a healthy program?

Reactions: Bucket Getter
You are convincing! He may not be aware of all that talent... damn, he may even be surprised if he is not aware IU hasn't made it to the rd. of 32 with it. I will report back to your parents basement and let you know. I hope you told your mom IU is winning the offseason!

You are convincing! He may not be aware of all that talent... damn, he may even be surprised if he is not aware IU hasn't made it to the rd. of 32 with it. I will report back to your parents basement and let you know. I hope you told your mom IU is winning the offseason!
At least I’m getting through to someone.

I'm sure there are other posts this could have gone under. But here's an update both with what has officially happened, and what seems very, very likely (Ballo and Carlyle)

Point guards - Rice, Cupps
Off/Combo guards - Carlyle, Galloway, Newton, Leal
Wings - Mgbako, Tucker
Bigs - Ballo, Reneau

3 spots left. What best helps enhance the group above?

I think anyone with 2 way versatility, anyone that can shoot and play defense, regardless of position, is who I'd be looking to add to this group, at this point.

Conwell would be at the top of my list.
Williams or Payne for some rim protecting depth. It'll be interesting if either of them still wants to come to IU when Ballo commits.

I think the official and imminent list above is very likely a solid NCAA tournament level team.

With our last 4, I'd like a shooter or 2 and 2-3 frosh - a big, a SG, and a wing - all lower 4 star or 3 star. Cannot build a program with new faces every year. Need those lower rated players to stay and develop.

But I know that is unlikely to happen, so give me Carlyle, Conwell, a big willing to come off the bench, and a flyer like Blazi.

• Haha
Reactions: Zero Credibility
What did your friend say about landing Bates, JHS, Reneau, Ware, Mgbako, Tucker, Rice, and Ballo? You are dismissing the trend of Woodson bringing in better talent at increasingly higher frequency.
And you're dismissing a first round exit, a second round exit and a not even in the show exit.

And you're dismissing a first round exit, a second round exit and a not even in the show exit.
Did you expect a S16 with Parker Stewart starting? Then a FF with a freshman pg and Miller Kopp? I’ll give you this year. Woodson messed up by relying on Xavier. If you were AD would you have fired Woodson after this season?

If we have Mgbako, Malik and Ballo on the floor for 25 mpg we'll have no tempo and get throttled on the defensive end because we still won't be able to defend the 3. 10 mpg max, with 3 guards around them is the only way to play Reneau with Ballo. Cupps needs redshirted.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
If we have Mgbako, Malik and Ballo on the floor for 25 mpg we'll have no tempo and get throttled on the defensive end because we still won't be able to defend the 3. 10 mpg max, with 3 guards around them is the only way to play Reneau with Ballo. Cupps needs redshirted.
I agree we will be inviting the other team to exploit us at the three. We can go smaller by subbing a guard for Ballo and moving Malik and Mgbako up. Also, if they miss two or three of those threes they will be down 10 because of the mismatches we have on the other end.

Cool story ..

• Haha
Reactions: kkott and sluggo69
I'm sure there are other posts this could have gone under. But here's an update both with what has officially happened, and what seems very, very likely (Ballo and Carlyle)

Point guards - Rice, Cupps
Off/Combo guards - Carlyle, Galloway, Newton, Leal
Wings - Mgbako, Tucker
Bigs - Ballo, Reneau

3 spots left. What best helps enhance the group above?

I think anyone with 2 way versatility, anyone that can shoot and play defense, regardless of position, is who I'd be looking to add to this group, at this point.

Conwell would be at the top of my list.
Williams or Payne for some rim protecting depth. It'll be interesting if either of them still wants to come to IU when Ballo commits.

I think the official and imminent list above is very likely a solid NCAA tournament level team.
I agree with Conwell and maybe the big NAIA FELLA.

The only kids that left weren’t playing or went to the NBA. Retaining the players you want is all that matters now. So to answer your question, yes.
That’s not a horrible point, but it’s not accurate either. This is far from a healthy program. How in the holy hell does a team with a top 10 everything miss a freaking 68 team tournament? Buying 5 one-year mercenaries is not a sustainable. (No offense to any of this year’s class)

I think it is ok to say given what i have read online we should win 25 games and make the sweet sixeteen. Those should be realistic expectations given the talent we are buying in players. You cannot buy all these top players and have low expectations.

I think it is ok to say given what i have read online we should win 25 games and make the sweet sixeteen. Those should be realistic expectations given the talent we are buying in players. You cannot buy all these top players and have low expectations.
Did you just accidentally tell that you are predicting a good season next year?

That’s not a horrible point, but it’s not accurate either. This is far from a healthy program. How in the holy hell does a team with a top 10 everything miss a freaking 68 team tournament? Buying 5 one-year mercenaries is not a sustainable. (No offense to any of this year’s class)
To your question, Xavier and Newton were injured and Gunn didn’t pan out.

Reactions: asindc
Sounding like Essegian is gonna happen.

Still sounding like Carlyle will happen this weekend.

If Williams is still visiting this weekend, I would think he's still in play. If we were to get him as well, we'd have to have the most talented roster in the B10...by a long shot. We already probably do, especially if Carlyle does come.

Will all the pieces play well together though? And can Woody make that happen?

When does the portal close? I wonder if we get Carlyle and Essegian, if we won't have any kids we thought were returning, end up entering the portal? Newton, Cupps, Gallo or Leal?

> Newton, Cupps, Gallo or Leal?

None of those guys are going to get a better deal anywhere else than they have here.

> Newton, Cupps, Gallo or Leal?

None of those guys are going to get a better deal anywhere else than they have here.
Maybe. Not sure we know that. Mason Gillis is getting attention at the highest levels.

Leal I would guess you’re right. The other 3…maybe? Also depends on what they want their role to be.

Gallo is getting squeezed in all this just as much as those others are. And if Tucker is any level of versatile 5 star wing, as his ratings indicate… I’m just not certain even Gallos PT is safe. Rice, Carlyle, Essegian, Tucker, Mack…Cupps as a true backup PG… there are only 120 minutes available for positions 1-3…???

Just a question for discussion. I don’t want any of them to leave.

it may not be about money. those guys may want to play, I absolutely see no role for Leal next season.
No way to know that for sure. But I will say D1 level basketball players are often wired a little differently, and I would think even more so for B10 level D1 players. And because of that, playing time could outweigh money for any of them??

Not saying an NAIA level guy, or D2 level guy isn't competitive, or that they don't care about playing time...Its just that level of fire and competitiveness that often is a major separator for kids at some point in their development, that determines whether they end up D1 or not.

Long winded way of saying you very well could be right, and with each portal signing, I would guess we're more and more likely to lose current guys to the portal.

When does the portal close? I wonder if we get Carlyle and Essegian, if we won't have any kids we thought were returning, end up entering the portal? Newton, Cupps, Gallo or Leal?
I believe the spring window to enter closes 5/1

Reactions: T.M.P.
No way to know that for sure. But I will say D1 level basketball players are often wired a little differently, and I would think even more so for B10 level D1 players. And because of that, playing time could outweigh money for any of them??

Not saying an NAIA level guy, or D2 level guy isn't competitive, or that they don't care about playing time...Its just that level of fire and competitiveness that often is a major separator for kids at some point in their development, that determines whether they end up D1 or not.

Long winded way of saying you very well could be right, and with each portal signing, I would guess we're more and more likely to lose current guys to the portal.
I hope it's not Newton. saw the dude play one time on one leg and was very impressed. was an espn showcase type game and he done very well against collier who was the top player in last year's class. I told someone at the time he looks like an SEC type guard. If we get Conner can't see Leal having a role. he might be fine with that wouldn't think he's getting that much NIL.

I hope it's not Newton. saw the dude play one time on one leg and was very impressed. was an espn showcase type game and he done very well against collier who was the top player in last year's class. I told someone at the time he looks like an SEC type guard. If we get Conner can't see Leal having a role. he might be fine with that wouldn't think he's getting that much NIL.
Newton, if he's close to being fully healthy, probably makes the most sense...but its all guesswork at this point.

I hope its not any of them. Just throwing out the possibility. If Essegian, Carlyle, and Williams were to all commit by this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised, at all, to see a current guy enter the portal.

But, also very possible they've all been talked to, and the expectations and reasons for adding portal kids has already been communicated. And them not entering the portal yet is a sign they're o.k. with the direction.

But, also very possible they've all been talked to, and the expectations and reasons for adding portal kids has already been communicated. And them not entering the portal yet is a sign they're o.k. with the direction.
Seems right. Current team meets with the portal players when they visit per social media. Need everyone rowing in the same direction as a program.

Agree, but some of the Cupps thoughts depend on his progress

Think about this -Leal will make more NIL than Clark will get from Fever for a season[not counting endorsements just contract per year]. That's dumb.

I would keep Newton and only Leal as 13th guy. The other 2 say sayonara to, We need bench shooters and rim protectors off the bench. Woodson has no Matt Roth's or Leary's on his bench and it costs him.

Think about this -Leal will make more NIL than Clark will get from Fever for a season[not counting endorsements just contract per year]. That's dumb.
That has more to do with the WNBA lack of drawing power, and less to do with Leal. While womens' college hoops appears to have gotten a boost for the short term...the WNBA may or may not get boosted outside of Indy. Its a product with a very limited market. Growing that market requires alot of cultural adjustments.

Maybe. Not sure we know that. Mason Gillis is getting attention at the highest levels.

Leal I would guess you’re right. The other 3…maybe? Also depends on what they want their role to be.

Gallo is getting squeezed in all this just as much as those others are. And if Tucker is any level of versatile 5 star wing, as his ratings indicate… I’m just not certain even Gallos PT is safe. Rice, Carlyle, Essegian, Tucker, Mack…Cupps as a true backup PG… there are only 120 minutes available for positions 1-3…???

Just a question for discussion. I don’t want any of them to leave.
Gallo is the lead recruiter for a lot of these guys, he ain't leaving!! One of my college roommates was at Sr night and he coached Trey in MS track, they talked after the game, Trey's line was I will find us some players--kid just wants to win, and is doing his best to get guys here that will help that

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT