ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Construction 2019 - 2021

If Watford is worried abt not seeing the floor bc of Race Thompson...he wont feel confident going to any school...

Same to be said for Brunk, although I dont think he will play same spot as Brunk, Davis, and TJD for most of the time, so thats a non-issue...
Davis/Brunk at the 5
TJD/Race at the 4
Hunter/Smith/Anderson at the 3
Franklin/Green/Durham/Hunter/New Recruit or Grad Transfer at the 2
Phinisee/Franklin/new Recruit or Grad Transfer at the 1

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Transfer Portal is the (new) One-And-Done.

I wonder if coach Miller regrets taking 2 one and dones for this year? I realize that everyone thought that our shooting was going to be vastly improved this year because of Romeo and Fitzner, but it seems to have been a short sighted approach.

i think so too but evidently the courses the players take are not being scrutinized. maybe it is not regulated at all
It's possible that a new grad transfer may need to take some undergrad pre-req's if he's pursing a grad degree in a different field.

i just read about it yesterday. espn. the ncaa is kicking around some ideas forcing transfers to show some progress towards a graduate degree. latest idea got shelved but apparently the ncaa is unhappy with the current system

But a big issue is that some of these schools aren't retaining some of these players for their 5th years. Someone like Max Bielfeldt redshirted as a freshman and graduated with a year of eligibility left and Beilein more or less told him, "You had your four years, we don't have a scholarship for you".

What is Bielfeldt supposed to do in that situation? Quit college basketball with eligibility remaining?

But a big issue is that some of these schools aren't retaining some of these players for their 5th years. Someone like Max Bielfeldt redshirted as a freshman and graduated with a year of eligibility left and Beilein more or less told him, "You had your four years, we don't have a scholarship for you".

What is Bielfeldt supposed to do in that situation? Quit college basketball with eligibility remaining?
Max is a Hoosier now.

Max is a Hoosier now.

I know. I was explaining his situation at Michigan.

Max was in Michigan's program for four years and earned a degree, but by redshirting as a freshman he had another year to play. Beilein told Max there wasn't a scholarship for his 5th year (as a grad student).

The grad transfer rule is the only rule that favours the student and for that reason I would hate to see the NCAA tamper with it.

Granted, there is a big difference between a P5 bench player taking their talents elsewhere and the Valpo example old cougar brought up in a different thread where a 5th year senior central to the team was “harvested” by MSU.

didn't max go for an mba at kelly? one of the problems with the current set up was illustrated about a mid major coach. he lost his lead scorer and best player that he developed for 3 years. as a result, his team had a poor season and the coach was fired. this is happening frequently now and coaching careers can be ruined as a result. it can work the other way, of course, where a player from a big 5 program transfers down for more minutes. what i hate to see, knowing the tremendous amount of work that goes into it, is a player you have developed for 3 years leaving and the developing coach not getting to benefit from all the hard work he has done. it is a quandary, for sure

Last edited:
We could see an increase in Mid Major grad transfers being harvested that can immediately contribute at a P5 Confderence Team. Grad Transfers could become the new One-and-Done.

Reactions: Dugger-Hoosier
Harris would be looking at major minutes as a freshman, so that's one advantage IU would have over North Carolina. Our guard rotation is looking relatively weak for 2019-20 (Phinisee, Durham, Green and Franklin), so Harris would certainly step right in to a rotation spot right off the bat.
That's just silly to say. The guards listed have a great deal of potential and we may see significant improvement this coming year. I wonder what people thought of Tommy Coverdale and the backcourt he played with? Most probably wrote them off just as you have done here.

I wonder if coach Miller regrets taking 2 one and dones for this year? I realize that everyone thought that our shooting was going to be vastly improved this year because of Romeo and Fitzner, but it seems to have been a short sighted approach.
fitzner cost us nothing but i think miller did a poor job of assessing his talent

Reactions: .Gerdis
That's just silly to say. The guards listed have a great deal of potential and we may see significant improvement this coming year. I wonder what people thought of Tommy Coverdale and the backcourt he played with? Most probably wrote them off just as you have done here.
Tom Coverdale could aleays shoot and make good decisions with the ball, and was Indiana Mr. BB. We currently do not have a Indiana Mr. BB at guard on the roster.

Reactions: Dugger-Hoosier
didn't max go for an mba at kelly? one of the problems with the current set up was illustrated about a mid major coach. he lost his lead scorer and best player that he developed for 3 years. as a result, his team had a poor season and the coach was fired. this is happening frequently now and coaching careers can be ruined as a result. it can work the other way, of course, where a player from a big 5 program transfers down for more minutes. what i hate to see, knowing the tremendous amount of work that goes into it, is a player you have developed for 3 years leaving and the developing coach not getting to benefit from all the hard work he has done. it is a quandary, for sure

Missing my point. I know Max used the best of his grad transfer options and its intended purpose. What am I saying is, if the NCAA eliminates the grad transfer route, you’re going to see guys like Max get left in the dust by their old schools. A coach doesn’t have to honor a players 5th year just because they have eligibility left.

And I agree, it sucks for some of the smaller schools, but if a player has graduated from one school and has eligibility remaining, he should be able to explore other avenues. Works the same way with regular grad students. There’s no rule that states you have to get your graduate degree at the same school you got your undergrad from.

Green has talent shooting the ball, but horrible talent in decision making, which cancels out his shooting if he makes too many poor decisions with the ball. I can see improving your shooting mechanics, but with only 1 year remaining I don't see how he can suddenly improve his decision making that is so embedded into his game from all his years of playing.

Hhjgjjkhhhdjxhxjxjxjzjshsjsjsjzjzjsjzjshshshzhzhzbzbzzbzbzhzzhxhxhdjdhedhxhxhdhdhdhxvxbdhxdudjxhdvdhxhxjdjzjfhxxjfhddndjxndhxhdusuxnxdjwnxmxjdxhsjsjdxn’zmxjdmmxxk .&.:73;&:&.&.’xncxjxxzkxkxjxkcjxkxjdxmxmxmzzmnxnxnxnxnjxxncnxn’ nnzmxjdjxnxndjdjxjxjfjcbcnxnxjcjxnxnxjxjxjxdkxjxjxjxjxxjxjxjxnxjdjxjxjxjxjxxjxjdjdjzjszjzjzjz
He has just as much opportunity at UNC to play early as he does IU.
Really since they are the favorites to land Cole Anthony.

Jon did IU go watch Windham this weekend or still planning to? Not my first choice of the guards we are looking at but if we miss on others not a bad back up I guess local kid.

Missing my point. I know Max used the best of his grad transfer options and its intended purpose. What am I saying is, if the NCAA eliminates the grad transfer route, you’re going to see guys like Max get left in the dust by their old schools. A coach doesn’t have to honor a players 5th year just because they have eligibility left.

And I agree, it sucks for some of the smaller schools, but if a player has graduated from one school and has eligibility remaining, he should be able to explore other avenues. Works the same way with regular grad students. There’s no rule that states you have to get your graduate degree at the same school you got your undergrad from.
i did not miss your point. you missed mine. i don't have any problem with the grad transfer rule per se. i have a bit of a problem with the way it is being taken advantage of. it's perfect for a guy like max

fitzner cost us nothing but i think miller did a poor job of assessing his talent

Just how did Archie do a poor job assessing his talent?

He was a 40% career 3 point shooter. How could Archie have known that his shot would go south even on WIDE open shots?

Sure, he was not a physical presence. I don't think he was brought in here to do anything but shoot.

That’s possible.

It’s also possible Miller could have never foreseen having Langford with a bad thumb on his shooting hand, losing Hunter for the entire year, having Race & DeRon out/limited for extended periods of time and having his best defensive guard (Phin) less than 100% during a significant portion of the conference regular season. Not to mention having your best shooter (statistically) out on suspension during part of the same period and your other guard (Durham) having his finger from his shooting hand bent perpendicular to his other fingers (he has raised his shooting % into the low 40’s before the injury).

If you’re trying to tell me Miller should have somehow known all of that before he decided on Fitzner, I call bullshit. No way he - or anyone else - could have anticipated all of that.

That’s possible.

It’s also possible Miller could have never foreseen having Langford with a bad thumb on his shooting hand, losing Hunter for the entire year, having Race & DeRon out/limited for extended periods of time and having his best defensive guard (Phin) less than 100% during a significant portion of the conference regular season. Not to mention having your best shooter (statistically) out on suspension during part of the same period and your other guard (Durham) having his finger from his shooting hand bent perpendicular to his other fingers (he has raised his shooting % into the low 40’s before the injury).

If you’re trying to tell me Miller should have somehow known all of that before he decided on Fitzner, I call bullshit. No way he - or anyone else - could have anticipated all of that.[/QUOT

Blackman, OG, Juwan, Creek...etc...
Injuries are part of the game. Every team faces them.

That’s possible.

If you’re trying to tell me Miller should have somehow known all of that before he decided on Fitzner, I call bullshit. No way he - or anyone else - could have anticipated all of that.

Every team faces injuries but indeed this was bizarro world level. That said, Fitz was recruited as a shooter.

Blackman, OG, Juwan, Creek...etc...
Injuries are part of the game. Every team faces them.
ALL of those together? At one time?

With a roster that had a slim margin of error to begin with?

OK, I’ll bite - name me another college basketball team with a comparable roster make up that had the injuries that IU had this year was successful enough to make the NCAA? I’ll wait . . .

ALL of those together? At one time?

With a roster that had a slim margin of error to begin with?

OK, I’ll bite - name me another college basketball team with a comparable roster make up that had the injuries that IU had this year was successful enough to make the NCAA? I’ll wait . . .
I am an IU fan only - so I dont really follow when back-ups and practice players from other teams get injured, but most teams deal w injury and issues.

That’s possible.

what the hell is wrong with you?

Just how did Archie do a poor job assessing his talent?

He was a 40% career 3 point shooter. How could Archie have known that his shot would go south even on WIDE open shots?

Sure, he was not a physical presence. I don't think he was brought in here to do anything but shoot.
well for one, his shooting form sucks. two, he didn't really play enough to register any significance from his shooting % his previous 2 seasons. three, he couldn't get meaningful playing time in his weak conference even as his got older, stronger, and wiser. then what, he's going to come into the rough, tough, big ten and make a difference? but as i said, hey, no big loss.

I'm not even considering Watford as a possibility for IU at this point. I checked over at 247Sports, and their so-called "experts" seem to think LSU is the favorite now that Will Wade has been reinstated by the university.
if he wants to play for a cheat i would not want him at iu. i wish he would come out publicly and say lsu is out for the obvious reasons

The grad transfer rule is the only rule that favours the student and for that reason I would hate to see the NCAA tamper with it.

Granted, there is a big difference between a P5 bench player taking their talents elsewhere and the Valpo example old cougar brought up in a different thread where a 5th year senior central to the team was “harvested” by MSU.
just look at what that mooney kid did for texas tech this year. that dude was the shit and he transferred in out of south dakota or state, i think

Reactions: IULouie
what the hell is wrong with you?
What the hell is wrong with you?

You said this:

Did you ever think in assessing Fitzner that Archie envisioned him and what he could bring to the team with most of those guys not being hampered/lost to injury?

Let’s make this simple: say Romeo doesn’t injure his thumb and Jerome is able to play. Both of those guys would have given us more of a threat from the perimeter - which impacts how the defense plays guys like Fitzner. Instead of getting confidence in what he was doing, he has to adjust to being THE outside threat and the corresponding defense.

Again, Archie may have just poorly evaluated him. But for you to supposedly be a coach and not understand this is beyond me.

I am an IU fan only - so I dont really follow when back-ups and practice players from other teams get injured, but most teams deal w injury and issues.
Then do a little research.

Google is a good place to start. Search for teams that made the NCAA tournament after losing players to injuries.

One team, just one. That’s all you got to find. A team with a similar roster makeup, a team that had a OAD play all year with a torn ligament in his shooting hand and a promising freshman who had just been cited by the coaching staff for outstanding shooting is lost for the year.

“most teams deal w injury and issues” . . . will not disagree, but will disagree to the extent. Do you really think none of that mattered? And if you don’t, tell me of the team that overcame all of THAT and still made the tournament.

Again, I’ll wait . . .

Reactions: speroni
Every team faces injuries but indeed this was bizarro world level. That said, Fitz was recruited as a shooter.
If you look at his numbers at St. Mary's there was (IMHO) every reason for Archie to believe Fitzner could contribute as a complimentary piece. I can't see any scenario where Archie would have brought Fitzner in thinking he'd have to be a major contributor.

If you look at his numbers at St. Mary's there was (IMHO) every reason for Archie to believe Fitzner could contribute as a complimentary piece. I can't see any scenario where Archie would have brought Fitzner in thinking he'd have to be a major contributor.
Considering the year before he came to IU Fitzner had 40% 3PT, that doesn't sound like a dodgy assumption. On the other hand, Nick Zeisloft had a 35.5% 3PT his last year at Illinois State, which had many of us scratching our heads.

Considering the year before he came to IU Fitzner had 40% 3PT, that doesn't sound like a dodgy assumption. On the other hand, Nick Zeisloft had a 35.5% 3PT his last year at Illinois State, which had many of us scratching our heads.

Nothing wrong with a 35.5% 3 pt percentage, especially if he was a primary scoring option. That equates to better than a 50% 2 pt shooter, and it was against college level defenders. I'd feel much better about that than a 38-40% HS 3 pt percentage, which is why I'm not counting on Franklin being an excellent outside scoring threat this coming year. I think Damezi was in a similar range his senior year of HS and that didn't translate well at all.[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with a 35.5% 3 pt percentage, especially if he was a primary scoring option. That equates to better than a 50% 2 pt shooter, and it was against college level defenders. I'd feel much better about that than a 38-40% HS 3 pt percentage, which is why I'm not counting on Franklin being an excellent outside scoring threat this coming year. I think Damezi was in a similar range his senior year of HS and that didn't translate well at all.

That's why I go back to the injuries and how they impacted Evan's role on the team.

Nick came in and had Yogi to play off of, had Troy as a threat to drive. That created good 3-pt shot opportunities . . . if good shooters get good looks and get on a roll, they gain the confidence to be an effective contributor.

IMHO Evan never gained the confidence of playing in the B1G because defenses knew IU didn't have any other 3-pt threats; ergo, he didn't get to play off of guys the way Nick did. Just another issue in a year where many things went wrong.

That's why I go back to the injuries and how they impacted Evan's role on the team.

Nick came in and had Yogi to play off of, had Troy as a threat to drive. That created good 3-pt shot opportunities . . . if good shooters get good looks and get on a roll, they gain the confidence to be an effective contributor.

IMHO Evan never gained the confidence of playing in the B1G because defenses knew IU didn't have any other 3-pt threats; ergo, he didn't get to play off of guys the way Nick did. Just another issue in a year where many things went wrong.

I agree, and never was that bent out of shape about Fitzner for that reason. He was a disappointment, but he was a 1 year grad xfer... it was a reasonable gamble. Unlike Priller or Gelon, he didn't tie up a scholly for 4 years and were even bigger gambles. It was reasonable to try to fill a specific need and now we have the spot back.

I agree, and never was that bent out of shape about Fitzner for that reason. He was a disappointment, but he was a 1 year grad xfer... it was a reasonable gamble. Unlike Priller or Gelon, he didn't tie up a scholly for 4 years and were even bigger gambles. It was reasonable to try to fill a specific need and now we have the spot back.
No matter anyone's stance on Fitzner, Miller did the right thing bringing him in last season. It was no secret there was a major need for perimeter shooting, and Fitzner just happened to be a 6'10" career 40% shooter from beyond the arc. You absolutely cannot fault Miller for signing him, particularly given that Fitzner was never going to be a 4-year warm body such as Gelon/Priller.

Was there some high level recruit beating down the door to come to IU when they took on fitz for 1 year. Didn't work out but seemed low risk not tying up a schollie for 4 years on a project player.

I keep seeing Smith being moved to the bench but don't think his role will decrease especially if he shows any kind of improvement in his game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT