ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Construction 2019 - 2021

MikeHoncho69

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2018
It doesn't appear that Lester Quinones, Trendon Watford or Anthony Harris will be signing with IU. Obviously, I could be wrong, and I'm perfectly fine eating crow if so. However, if Archie and the staff miss out on all three, what direction do you all think they'd go in?

I haven't heard any news about bringing in a grad transfer shooter, which makes me believe Archie may bank the additional two scholarships remaining. Assuming there are no transfers or NBA declarations after next season, IU would have four scholarships available.

Thoughts?

Reactions: palos6637
It doesn't appear that Lester Quinones, Trendon Watford or Anthony Harris will be signing with IU. Obviously, I could be wrong, and I'm perfectly fine eating crow if so. However, if Archie and the staff miss out on all three, what direction do you all think they'd go in?

I haven't heard any news about bringing in a grad transfer shooter, which makes me believe Archie may bank the additional two scholarships remaining. Assuming there are no transfers or NBA declarations after next season, IU would have four scholarships available.

Thoughts?
Harris is who we have the best shot with so hopefully we add him. After that who knows

Hard to tell, next year is not a great year in state so do not see the need to bank them for next year, would like to have several open for the 21 class however.

Hard to tell, next year is not a great year in state so do not see the need to bank them for next year, would like to have several open for the 21 class however.
Agreed on the 2020 in-state prospects. Seems like Anthony Leal is the only legitimate candidate IU would consider. Possibly Trey Galloway?

Either way, it will be a massive failure by Archie if he fails to bring in an excellent shooter, whether that's one of the 2019 kids or a grad transfer.

Reactions: viviard
Harris is who we have the best shot with so hopefully we add him. After that who knows
Harris would be looking at major minutes as a freshman, so that's one advantage IU would have over North Carolina. Our guard rotation is looking relatively weak for 2019-20 (Phinisee, Durham, Green and Franklin), so Harris would certainly step right in to a rotation spot right off the bat.

Harris would be looking at major minutes as a freshman, so that's one advantage IU would have over North Carolina. Our guard rotation is looking relatively weak for 2019-20 (Phinisee, Durham, Green and Franklin), so Harris would certainly step right in to a rotation spot right off the bat.

I just don't see us plucking a kid from ACC country that UNC is offering. I also don't necessarily agree about next year's group. I think if RP and AD really come in this summer working on strength and their shots and push one another, that could be a really solid backcourt... not star potential, but solid. Green also if he works and can improve his decision making could be the best of the bunch. I'm sure Harris would get his minutes in that group, but I'm just saying I don't see it as a hopeless backcourt without additions. Certainly we could use some added depth, and competition never hurts.

Reactions: RowdyHoosier
Phinesee and Franklin have the most upside. I'm afraid Green's decision making will never improve or be consistent.

Reactions: DotheDew12
Phinesee and Franklin have the most upside. I'm afraid Green's decision making will never improve or be consistent.

Think folks are overlooking Durham. I thought he was by far our most improved player and Dakich raved about his work ethic. He went from a kid I never wanted to shoot as a freshman to arguably our best outside shooter... which admittedly was as bad as it's ever been. Still, if he showed that same level of improvement from last year, as I said, I see him as being a really solid player. No way I'm expecting a freshman in Franklin to come in and overtake him, but hoping he can be a rotation guy.

Think folks are overlooking Durham. I thought he was by far our most improved player and Dakich raved about his work ethic. He went from a kid I never wanted to shoot as a freshman to arguably our best outside shooter... which admittedly was as bad as it's ever been. Still, if he showed that same level of improvement from last year, as I said, I see him as being a really solid player. No way I'm expecting a freshman in Franklin to come in and overtake him, rbut hoping he can be a rotation guy.
i think Franklin shot a higher % 3pt than any of the reurning guards. I know it's a transition from HS to the B1G, but Franklin has the potential to contribute immediately and upgrade IU's perimeter 3pt shooting. Also this seems backwards but Franklin's decision making as a Freshman may be better than Sr. Green. If so, Franklin may get more playing time than initially thought. Durham continuing to improve also gives IU improved 3pt shooting. Green shot the ball well at the end of the season, so he should focus on being a catch and shoot player. When Green forces drives and makes poor decisions with the ball is when he gets into trouble. Green finished strong when Romeo was out of the lineup on injury. So i am optimistic Green continues to shoot well, and Green leaves the PG playmaking and decision making to the PGs.

Last edited:
Would like to see CAM bank them, unless he can come up with a sure winner this late in the game. Play the 8-10 guys that you've got, and spend some time on development.

Tired of just filling scholarship slots with warm bodies, like Priller. Not surprised Moore and Forrester left, nobody wants to sit and watch the team lose.

I HIGHLY doubt he will bank any scholarships. He needs to win and he needs to win now. There’s no reason to save them for the next coach to use. I don’t know who we get, but I’d be shocked if they’re not used.

Thoughts?
We may get Harris still but Watford is not happening. I think we need a grad transfer guard.

Reactions: IULouie
I HIGHLY doubt he will bank any scholarships. He needs to win and he needs to win now. There’s no reason to save them for the next coach to use. I don’t know who we get, but I’d be shocked if they’re not used.

Like you said he cannot afford to bank any as it is crucial he wins this year. We are not is a honeymoon situation anymore were we can miss the tourney again and everyhing is just fine.

Reactions: cryano
Would like to see CAM bank them, unless he can come up with a sure winner this late in the game. Play the 8-10 guys that you've got, and spend some time on development.

Tired of just filling scholarship slots with warm bodies, like Priller. Not surprised Moore and Forrester left, nobody wants to sit and watch the team lose.
6'11" Joey Brunk is an upgrade.

He has just as much opportunity at UNC to play early as he does IU.

STFU up for once ..

Reactions: Btownboom1976
I see the roster construction as having two possibilities:

1. As it stands today, they have more questions than answers. If the roster remains as it is success comes down to the health of a couple players and how big of a jump some of the younger guys can make. Can't imagine Archie will risk standing pat hoping it works out with what he's got.

or, the more likely option....

2. The possible additions of one or two shooters that can actually play - preferably one of them being a PG. As much as I would like to see them add Watford you wonder how they can work him in with DD, Race, Brunk, and TJD. Some mention Hunter as a 3/4 but the plan from the start was having him as a 3 and sometimes 2. That is not likely to change.

Seems likely they add at least one more to the roster for next season. Question is, can Archie afford to wait too long if there is an available grad transfer that can help?

Green's 3-point shooting increased from 34% his sophomore year to 41% his junior year. Durham's 3-point shooting increased from 29% to 35% (was in the 40s until he hurt his shooting hand). Rob shot 31%, and he does have a pretty shot and seems like a hard-worker, so I wouldn't be surprised if he improves to at least upper 30s. Franklin shot 39% this year from 3...but being a freshman, will probably shoot worse. Plus, we will most likely have a healthy Jerome Hunter who was the third player to win a Gold Jersey (after Morgan and Langford); at the time, Archie said he won the jersey because of his shooting in practice.

Whatever happens with these three big recruits, there's still hope...

you forgot anderson

1. As it stands today, they have more questions than answers. If the roster remains as it is success comes down to the health of a couple players and how big of a jump some of the younger guys can make. Can't imagine Archie will risk standing pat hoping it works out with what he's got.

2. The possible additions of one or two shooters that can actually play - preferably one of them being a PG. As much as I would like to see them add Watford you wonder how they can work him in with DD, Race, Brunk, and TJD. Some mention Hunter as a 3/4 but the plan from the start was having him as a 3 and sometimes 2. That is not likely to change.

Seems likely they add at least one more to the roster for next season. Question is, can Archie afford to wait too long if there is an available grad transfer that can help?
That's a great question. That's why I'm surprised I haven't heard a single thing about Archie meeting with any grad transfer candidates. Obviously, there could be things going on behind the scenes we don't know about. However, you'd think we'd know it if he had met with any candidates.

why ever bank schollies in this era? take a chance on one of the 700 kids in the transfer portal and hope you land someone who helps. if he doesn't, you still have that scholarship available for the next season so you haven't lost anything. building teams through transfers is the wave of the future until the ncaa does something about it

Reactions: Pryght and ufo33
I don't necessarily consider him to be a pure guard. He's more of a small forward in my opinion, but to each his own.
perhaps. i thought he was 6'5" but iu has him at 6'7", which i doubt. regardless, i am not counting on a significant contribution from him next season but remain hopeful

Green's 3-point shooting increased from 34% his sophomore year to 41% his junior year. Durham's 3-point shooting increased from 29% to 35% (was in the 40s until he hurt his shooting hand). Rob shot 31%, and he does have a pretty shot and seems like a hard-worker, so I wouldn't be surprised if he improves to at least upper 30s. Franklin shot 39% this year from 3...but being a freshman, will probably shoot worse. Plus, we will most likely have a healthy Jerome Hunter who was the third player to win a Gold Jersey (after Morgan and Langford); at the time, Archie said he won the jersey because of his shooting in practice.

Whatever happens with these three big recruits, there's still hope...
It's difficult for me to say Jerome Hunter will be a surefire asset next season due to the injury he sustained last year. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed. I'll wait until we get an official update from the program regarding his status.

perhaps. i thought he was 6'5" but iu has him at 6'7", which i doubt. regardless, i am not counting on a significant contribution from him next season but remain hopeful
Same here. I'm originally from the South Bend area, so it's cool to see a hometown kid play for the Hoosiers.

why ever bank schollies in this era? take a chance on one of the 700 kids in the transfer portal and hope you land someone who helps. if he doesn't, you still have that scholarship available for the next season so you haven't lost anything. building teams through transfers is the wave of the future until the ncaa does something about it
Do you take issue with the grad transfer policy? I don't blame a kid for taking advantage of a new opportunity if he has earned his undergrad degree.

Do you take issue with the grad transfer policy? I don't blame a kid for taking advantage of a new opportunity if he has earned his undergrad degree.
i take issue with how it is primarily being used. most players are using it for basketball, not to further their education. most are actually taking undergraduate level courses and not completing, or even attempting to get a masters degree

If Watford is worried abt not seeing the floor bc of Race Thompson...he wont feel confident going to any school...

Same to be said for Brunk, although I dont think he will play same spot as Brunk, Davis, and TJD for most of the time, so thats a non-issue...

i take issue with how it is primarily being used. most players are using it for basketball, not to further their education. most are actually taking undergraduate level courses and not completing, or even attempting to get a masters degree
I thought that grad transfers had to go to a school that offered a grad program that was not offered at their current school.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
I'm not meaning to be combative, but do you have proof a majority of these kids aren't taking graduate level courses or receiving graduate level degrees?

If Watford is worried abt not seeing the floor bc of Race Thompson...he wont feel confident going to any school...

Same to be said for Brunk, although I dont think he will play same spot as Brunk, Davis, and TJD for most of the time, so thats a non-issue...
I'm not even considering Watford as a possibility for IU at this point. I checked over at 247Sports, and their so-called "experts" seem to think LSU is the favorite now that Will Wade has been reinstated by the university.

I'm not meaning to be combative, but do you have proof a majority of these kids aren't taking graduate level courses or receiving graduate level degrees?
i just read about it yesterday. espn. the ncaa is kicking around some ideas forcing transfers to show some progress towards a graduate degree. latest idea got shelved but apparently the ncaa is unhappy with the current system

I thought that grad transfers had to go to a school that offered a grad program that was not offered at their current school.
i think so too but evidently the courses the players take are not being scrutinized. maybe it is not regulated at all

Transfer Portal is the (new) One-And-Done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT