ADVERTISEMENT

Roe overturned. Be kind

This is a country full of mature, responsible people who respect each others beliefs as it pertains to sensitive topics like abortion. I am sure the response will thoughtful, respectful and subdued.
But not a woman's right to choose.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Welcome to the world of The Constitution.
This is what this is supposed to be about. It will be made into a states rights debate. Already started with the second amendment. They struck down the NY gun law stating states don’t have the right to infringe but struck down Roe vs wade stating it is handled by the states.

So lawyers, will this set up a religious freedom case? A lot of Judaism believes specifically that life begins at birth and not conception. The court is granting very wide latitudes to religious freedom. Would they in this case if the argument is made that Judaism gives a woman the right to an abortion? The answer of course is no.

And you can see how different branches of Judaism believe here:

As of 10:00 this morning, abortion is illegal in Kentucky, Louisiana, and South Dakota.

The ramifications of this decision are enormous - and I am not just talking about abortion.
(e) Abortion presents a profound moral question. The Constitution does not prohibit the citizens of each State from regulating or prohibiting abortion. Roe and Casey arrogated that authority. The Court overrules those decisions and returns that authority to the people and their elected representatives. Pp. 78–79. 945 F. 3d 265, reversed and remanded.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
This is what this is supposed to be about. It will be made into a states rights debate. Already started with the second amendment. They struck down the NY gun law stating states don’t have the right to infringe but struck down Roe vs wade stating it is handled by the states.

Yeah, I was going to point out this very point.

Don't say it should be up to the states when they literally just overturned a state law about guns.

Kind of comes off as hypocritical.

Yes, no violent attempt to reverse a SC decision and overthrow the government here!
Well it’s happened, the Wicked Witch has put the blame on the reversal on Trump and Mitch McConnell.

Reactions: DANC
Yeah, I was going to point out this very point.

Don't say it should be up to the states when they literally just overturned a state law about guns.

Kind of comes off as hypocritical.
It’s not depending on how you view the constitution structurally. ( looks like the scotus thinks it’s not part of the constitution)Of note too. This doesn’t actually outlaw abortions. It just leaves it to the states. Some people don’t understand this part.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but isn't one granted by the US Constitution and one by a judicial ruling? Kind of the apples and oranges comparison. I'm 100% fiscally conservative, the social issues I think are issues everyone will have to answer to when their time comes so this is not a post to side one way or another on Roe v. Wade just pointing out the two instances in your post are very different.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I may be wrong but isn't one granted by the US Constitution and one by a judicial ruling? Kind of the apples and oranges comparison. I'm 100% fiscally conservative, the social issues I think are issues everyone will have to answer to when their time comes so this is not a post to side one way or another on Roe v. Wade just pointing out the two instances in your post are very different.
Yes. I’m just pointing out the argument that’s being pushed. One is structurally a part of the constitution.

Reactions: vesuvius13
(e) Abortion presents a profound moral question. The Constitution does not prohibit the citizens of each State from regulating or prohibiting abortion. Roe and Casey arrogated that authority. The Court overrules those decisions and returns that authority to the people and their elected representatives. Pp. 78–79. 945 F. 3d 265, reversed and remanded.
I think a lot of states will now codify the right of a woman to obtain and abortion-not Indiana but many states will start the process.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Abortions aren’t. It was an argument that it infringed on personal freedom. It never specifically mentions abortions.
So does this essentially over turn any of those "personal freedom" rulings that the 14th is the basis of? IANAL so I have no idea if any exist but id have to think if they do they are all in jeopardy now.

I would think a great deal of rulings are just based on interpretations of the constitution.

Again I don't know. I am honestly just asking questions to the lawyers here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT