ADVERTISEMENT

Roe overturned. Be kind

I think a lot of states will now codify the right of a woman to obtain and abortion-not Indiana but many states will start the process.
Republicans control 30 state legislatures, so "a lot" may be a stretch.

Indiana Governor Holcomb has already called for a special legislative session for Hoosier tax relief, so the session can also now deal with a new abortion law.

Reactions: vesuvius13
So do this essentially over turn any of those "personal freedom" ruling that the 14th is the basis of? IANAL so I have no idea if any exist but id have to think if they do they are all in jeopardy know.

I would think a great deal of ruling are just based on interpretations of the constitution.

Again I don't know. I am honestly just asking questions to the lawyers here.
That’s how I see it. The original constitution is set in stone. The subsequent rulings are not. At least this is how I’m viewing it being interpreted. So the basic rights.

Of note too. This doesn’t actually outlaw abortions. It just leaves it to the states. Some people don’t understand this part.
What happens if 40 states outlaw abortion? 45? 23?

My early prediction is a shift in “rights” from privacy to health care.
Easier to use a health care right to get an abortion protection than a privacy right.
Easier to get “right to health care” recognized as a right - maybe even as a Constitutional amendment - than a right to privacy Also.

But a couple of hundred million US folks just decided to study some Constitutional law and get political.

What happens if 40 states outlaw abortion? 45? 23?

My early prediction is a shift in “rights” from privacy to health care.
Easier to use a health care right to get an abortion protection than a privacy right.
Easier to get “right to health care” recognized as a right - maybe even as a Constitutional amendment - than a right to privacy Also.

But a couple of hundred million US folks just decided to study some Constitutional law and get political.
I’m not sure. Some of this is over my head. I’m kind of neutral on this. I can see both arguments. It’s a very complicated issue.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think a lot of states will now codify the right of a woman to obtain and abortion-not Indiana but many states will start the process.
Unless the newly minted Republican Congress outlaws it nationally later this year.

Can't wait for the nullification arguments.

That would be career suicide I think.
Why would it be career suicide? That's kind of been a large subset of the GOP's mission for the last several decades. Why would they stop with just overturning Roe?

They're beholden to the very rich donors filling their coffers. Not the overwhelming majority of Americans who support some form of legal abortion.

Unless the newly minted Republican Congress outlaws it nationally later this year.

I would think politically this is not good for Republicans? Some of the 50/50 areas may swing blue? It will certainly be a Dem rallying cry this fall.

Reactions: larsIU
Would it? SC just turned the entire midterms into a referendum on abortion.

4/6 justices voting to overturn were put in position by presidents who didn't win the popular vote.
I’m saying nationally outlaw. I would think that would get very ugly. Of course some states will outlaw.

Would it? SC just turned the entire midterms into a referendum on abortion.

4/6 justices voting to overturn were put in position by presidents who didn't win the popular vote.
And maybe not here on this board, but there is some spiking of the football on this issue with people proclaiming this is why they elected Trump and kept supporting Mitch McConnell.

Though they'll claim it, this isn't a win for the larger MAGA crowd. This is a win for the people who held their nose and voted for Trump to keep Clinton from appointing justices.

If there is a silver lining here, maybe that crowd will let Trump take the fall for all the January 6 BS since they don't have any use for him anymore.

Abortions aren’t. It was an argument that it infringed on personal freedom. It never specifically mentions abortions.
The underlying premise of the Roe Court was that a right to privacy extended to a woman's right to abortion. The privacy right was not explicitly stated in the Constitution, but was said to exist in the the language of the Bill of Rights and in particular, the 14th Amendment. The Court had been extending this privacy right for several years through a series of cases prior to Roe. The concept was highlighted by the famous "penumbra phrase" of Justice Douglas in Griswold.

Yes this too. It’s a structural part. No structure in the constitution for abortions. There is one for the second amendment.
But what does the 2nd Amendment mean? Many states in the early 1800s had laws making concealed carry illegal.

In the antebellum period, several states had laws banning the carrying of concealed weapons. 7 5 Ohio's language is fairly typical: "[W]hoever shall carry a weapon or weapons, concealed on or about his person, such as a pistol, bowie knife, dirk, or any other dangerous weapon, shall be deemed guilty.' '1​
...​
Indeed, Virginia's legislature was so concerned with concealed weapons that the application of the state's ban on the weapons was rather broad. In Virginia, it was against the law for a person to "habitually or generally keep or carry about his person any pistol, dirk, bowie knife, or any other weapon of the like kind.., hidden or concealed from common observation."'8 ° Under the Virginia law, if a person was tried for "murder or felony" and used a concealed weapon to commit the murder or felony, he could still be charged under the concealed weapon law, even if the jury acquitted him of the murder or felony because of self-defense. 8' A second wave of more restrictive regulations went even further, prohibiting the sale of concealed weapons. An 1837 Georgia law criminalized the sale of concealed weapons, effectively moving toward the complete prohibition of this class of weapon."' A similar statute was enacted by Tennessee in 1838.183 The Supreme Court of Tennessee upheld the law, declaring that "the Legislature intended to abolish these most dangerous weapons entirely from use.""​

For some reason when we look at what the founders meant when they wrote the 2nd amendment we immediately ignore all the laws that were passed. Scalia said we could look at the laws of the first 100 years, why aren't these laws considered? Did the court yesterday in any way mention them?

We have taken the amendment far afield of what the states thought it meant in 1800. Boston had a law at that time making storing a loaded weapon in your home illegal. Any chance that law gets approved today?

I’m saying nationally outlaw. I would think that would get very ugly. Of course some states will outlaw.
There's an election coming. Abortion just moved into the top two issues (economy #1). The Republicans should be thanking their lucky stars the economy's in the shitter or else they'd get slaughtered this November.

Of course maybe I'm wrong.

However, abortion is legal in Florida. How does DeSantis deal with this as he expands his national profile amongst Republicans? Will there be pressure on him to get the FL legislature to ban it?

What a mess.

The underlying premise of the Roe Court was that a right to privacy extended to a woman's right to abortion. The privacy right was not explicitly stated in the Constitution, but was said to exist in the the language of the Bill of Rights and in particular, the 14th Amendment. The Court had been extending this privacy right for several years through a series of cases prior to Roe. The concept was highlighted by the famous "penumbra phrase" of Justice Douglas in Griswold.
I get all that. It’s interpretive depending on which side you choose. I’m not here to argue for or against, as I see both arguments. Im pretty ignorant on some of this.

I would think politically this is not good for Republicans? Some of the 50/50 areas may swing blue? It will certainly be a Dem rallying cry this fall.
I think it will not make one bit of difference. The avid abortion supporters always vote and they are already voting democrat. Independents are far more concerned about the current economic issues. Baris has said it will have zero impact. None. Everything you just said is a myth but thats fine let dems keep focusing one things that do not involve kitchen table issues.

And the majority just lit it on fire

There's an election coming. Abortion just moved into the top two issues (economy #1). The Republicans should be thanking their lucky stars the economy's in the shitter or else they'd get slaughtered this November.

However, abortion is legal in Florida. How does DeSantis deal with this as he expands his national profile amongst Republicans? Will there be pressure on him to get the FL legislature to ban it?

What a mess.
We are in a mess that just got messier.

Reactions: larsIU
Uh the 2nd amendment. No amendment protecting abortion.
We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled. The Constitution makes no reference to abortion, and no such right is implicitly protected by any constitutional provision,

That's a strong possibility. The ruling minority will probably try to make it happen.

What a mess.
We'll see, polling the last few months does not reflect that and we have been expecting this decision since the leak.

We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled. The Constitution makes no reference to abortion, and no such right is implicitly protected by any constitutional provision,
We have thousands of laws that a just based on an interpretation of the constitution. That the constitution makes no direct reference of. They should all be overturned?

That's the place it should be or pass a federal law (very unlikely I know). Abortion in most countries is legal because the legislature passed a law making it legal and not by the courts.

We'll see, polling the last few months does not reflect that and we have been expecting this decision since the leak.
Now it's real. And Thomas had to go and write this as well. Jesus dude, give the Dems even more fodder.

Reactions: Bill4411
But what does the 2nd Amendment mean? Many states in the early 1800s had laws making concealed carry illegal.

In the antebellum period, several states had laws banning the carrying of concealed weapons. 7 5 Ohio's language is fairly typical: "[W]hoever shall carry a weapon or weapons, concealed on or about his person, such as a pistol, bowie knife, dirk, or any other dangerous weapon, shall be deemed guilty.' '1​
...​
Indeed, Virginia's legislature was so concerned with concealed weapons that the application of the state's ban on the weapons was rather broad. In Virginia, it was against the law for a person to "habitually or generally keep or carry about his person any pistol, dirk, bowie knife, or any other weapon of the like kind.., hidden or concealed from common observation."'8 ° Under the Virginia law, if a person was tried for "murder or felony" and used a concealed weapon to commit the murder or felony, he could still be charged under the concealed weapon law, even if the jury acquitted him of the murder or felony because of self-defense. 8' A second wave of more restrictive regulations went even further, prohibiting the sale of concealed weapons. An 1837 Georgia law criminalized the sale of concealed weapons, effectively moving toward the complete prohibition of this class of weapon."' A similar statute was enacted by Tennessee in 1838.183 The Supreme Court of Tennessee upheld the law, declaring that "the Legislature intended to abolish these most dangerous weapons entirely from use.""​

For some reason when we look at what the founders meant when they wrote the 2nd amendment we immediately ignore all the laws that were passed. Scalia said we could look at the laws of the first 100 years, why aren't these laws considered? Did the court yesterday in any way mention them?

We have taken the amendment far afield of what the states thought it meant in 1800. Boston had a law at that time making storing a loaded weapon in your home illegal. Any chance that law gets approved today?
The storing law does apply today. If I have a gun on my nightstand and just anyone picks it up(children) and shoots themselves or anyone else I’m probably getting charged. Again I’m not here for or against I’m stating how I can see the interpretation of these issues from both sides.

What a mess.
I'm not sure the economy is really all that bad. The stock market has been on an up-tick this week, commodity prices: grain and oil are down. The Russian invasion was a shock to the world's economy but adjusts are being made.

I'm not sure the economy is really all that bad. The stock market has been on an up-tick this week, commodity prices: grain and oil are down. The Russian invasion was a shock to the world's economy but adjusts are being made.
Yeah, but it won't correct by Sept/Oct so it will remain #1 unless there is significant improvement. Nobody I've seen thinks that's happening anytime soon.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
That's the place it should be or pass a federal law (very unlikely I know). Abortion in most countries is legal because the legislature passed a law making it legal and not by the courts.
That's where the dems made a mistake as they could have codified it pretty easily over the last 50 years but chose not relying on Roe and now, we find ourselves in a real mess.

Yeah, I was going to point out this very point.

Don't say it should be up to the states when they literally just overturned a state law about guns.

Kind of comes off as hypocritical.
You can’t be serious? One of those rights is discussed in the Bill of Rights.

Look I’m a wishy washy conservative when it comes to abortion - but you’re a smart guy and shouldn’t spit out talking points.

Look I’m a wishy washy conservative when it comes to abortion - but you’re a smart guy and shouldn’t spit out talking points.
Not just in the list, literally the second one.

My question is this....Are voters smart enough to understand the ramifications of each state deciding their own path for abortion? Is that something we want as a nation?

B/c abortion is just the first step. Then will come anything else not specifically codified within the Constitution. I don't see how this debate ends without an amendment.

My question is this....Are voters smart enough to understand the ramifications of each state deciding their own path for abortion? Is that something we want as a nation?

B/c abortion is just the first step. Then will come anything else not specifically codified within the Constitution. I don't see how this debate ends without an amendment.
That actually seems like the intent. I believe a lot of voters want some things left to the states, local.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT