ADVERTISEMENT

Willie Mays

him and Griffey jr probably 2 best overall baseball players who ever lived
Say Hey Kid... I couldn't believe he was still alive honestly. I don't remember him at his prime, but plenty of people I trust said he was one of the best, so I'll go with that!

Last edited:
Old fossilized "boomer," here. Not many players left from my childhood years. Mayes was an incredible talent! Players from that era seldom, if ever, took a day off from an injury. Bob Gibson, Juan Marichal, etc., would duel it out and pitch 9 plus innings. It's the "iron men" of MLB that I remember, respect and appreciate their input into the game that so many of us love😥

Think of the HR #'s if Babe had practiced more personal physical fitness and Mayes had not been in the military nor the Negro League and that time was instead in the MLB.
Brooks at 3rd, Ozzie at SS, any combination of 3 at 2nd and Donnie "Baseball" fielding 1st.

Reactions: TerhuneHoosierfan
I don’t know if this is true or an old story embellishment. They used to say Ted Williams had 20/5 vision. He could see at 20 feet what normal vision could see at 5. They said he could read the name on the baseball as it came to the plate- Spaulding, Rawlings, etc.
I've heard similar and was told that his eyesight was one of the reasons he was such a good fighter pilot.

Heard those same stories. Also someone who earns RMK's respect as Williams did has made his mark for sure and for certain.

Reactions: ulrey
him and Griffey jr probably 2 best overall baseball players who ever lived
If Willie Mays and Willie McCovey had not had to play at Candlestick's deep fences, they both would've had even better HR totals. Mays could do it all at an elite level. Even better than Griffey Jr and Bonds. Offense,defense and everything in between. He was the elite of the elite.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT