ADVERTISEMENT

Rod Carey

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
This is what makes me mad. This guy is closing in on his 6th bowl game in 7 seasons and has had a lot of success at NIU. And hes a former IU player! Its sickening that we have so many guys available that we have a change to get but lets stick with our 2nd project HC in a row. Glass is delusional.

Reactions: td75
This is what makes me mad. This guy is closing in on his 6th bowl game in 7 seasons and has had a lot of success at NIU. And hes a former IU player! Its sickening that we have so many guys available that we have a change to get but lets stick with our 2nd project HC in a row. Glass is delusional.

I don’t want anybody even remotely connected to this program as a next head coach. I don’t want anyone with connections to the state running football at this university. All they know is losing . There is nothing to “understand” or “get” about our culture or style. All of this waxing nostalgic about “remembering Fish on the radio” blah, blah,blah. This state stinks overall for football. The kids don’t want to play for a school that loses anyway. It’s not the “flagship” school. It’s just a school that is in a Power-5 conference and pretty much sucks at it. It’s a complete laughing stock.
The three main guys on this staff (Allen, DeBord and Hagan) all have roots in this state. There is no history or understanding by any of them of what it takes to win at this level. Simply in over their heads but “remembering the good old days” of Indiana football and “state pride.”
Bring in the next coach from American Samoa if that’s what it takes.
The bottom line is that the people running this athletic department and this football program are TOO DAMN connected to the past and the state. Get a pair of fresh eyes with experience and pay them...a bunch.

I don’t want anybody even remotely connected to this program as a next head coach. I don’t want anyone with connections to the state running football at this university. All they know is losing . There is nothing to “understand” or “get” about our culture or style. All of this waxing nostalgic about “remembering Fish on the radio” blah, blah,blah. This state stinks overall for football. The kids don’t want to play for a school that loses anyway. It’s not the “flagship” school. It’s just a school that is in a Power-5 conference and pretty much sucks at it. It’s a complete laughing stock.
The three main guys on this staff (Allen, DeBord and Hagan) all have roots in this state. There is no history or understanding by any of them of what it takes to win at this level. Simply in over their heads but “remembering the good old days” of Indiana football and “state pride.”
The bottom line is that the people running this athletic department and this football program are TOO DAMN connected to the past and the state. Get a pair of fresh eyes with experience and pay them...a bunch.

I agree with this.

Our last head coach that coached at Northern Illinois was Bill Mallory. Bring him on.

Why hasn't Rod been picked up by a Power 5 program? He was a very good player for Mallory. One of the few IU players that I can remember that hailed from Minnesota.

PS..We might want to look at Rod a little closer. I just looked up his Northern Illinois record and he's 20 or so games ABOVE .500, with wins against Iowa, Purdue, Northwestern and Nebraska. He also has a 21-13 loss to number 1 Ohio State on his resume...!

Rod basically had similar success against the Big Ten schedule in the exact same time frame that Kevin Wilson had, and Rod operating at a very distinct disadvantage.

Last edited:
Until IU is willing to surround the head coach with good assistants it will not make a difference. The entire staff needs an influx of better more experienced coaches across the board. It really is ridiculous.

Carey's done well at N. Illinois but his teams have taken a step back from the peak they were at under Jerry Kill & Dave Doeren (and Carey's first couple years) to where they're good MAC teams as opposed to being threats to bust into a New Year's Day bowl game, etc..

Reactions: IUgradman
Maybe these rants serve as a catharsis for you, but they make you appear increasingly unhinged. You have no idea what Allen, Hagan and DeBord's "understanding" of winning is, and the old "open the checkbook and hire a great coach" argument is ludicrous. First, IU isn't in the market for a new HC and won't be unless and until Allen has several dismal seasons in a row. Further, what experienced, successful P5 HC would come here? We routinely make every "worst head coaching jobs in college football" list that's out there. And, with respect to successful mid-major HCs, there are at least as many who have failed after moving up to P5 ball as who have succeeded.

Allen will be given several years here. Let's hope he succeeds. And, if you have no hope, may I respectfully suggest you find another team. Why stick around if it's hopeless? The repetitive theme of your recent posts is becoming stale.

The fact that Allen will be given several years is exactly why, we are IU.

The same crap went on with Crean. Glass needs a quicker trigger.

C Crush, not stale at all to me. This "accept it or go elsewhere" proposition is silly. This is a message board not a university sponsored propaganda board. I have enjoyed reading your new thoughts. It is fair to changes one's mind and you have generally stated why the change has occurred. Fair enough. Others can disagree with you and not read your posts, but suggesting you find a new team is dumb and comes off as if folks think they get to determine who a fan might be and the makeup of a true IU fan. I call bull.

Allen is a bad coach but we aren’t going to get anyone better given how little the school is allowed to pay its football coaches.

Allen is a bad coach but we aren’t going to get anyone better given how little the school is allowed to pay its football coaches.

Hell. Just hire Rod Carey! I think he could at least make us a regular bowl participant. Is that too much to ask?

Others can disagree with you and not read your posts, but suggesting you find a new team is dumb and comes off as if folks think they get to determine who a fan might be and the makeup of a true IU fan.
He himself said he was "done" with IU football in another thread.

And I'm not trying to determine who a "fan" is, but "It [IU] is just a school that is in a Power-5 conference and pretty much sucks at it. It’s a complete laughing stock" isn't exactly textbook fan-speak. Lol.

It might just be "critical speak" from a fan and that is acceptable. Cubs fans were long suffering and many were done with the team about April of every year. Some things changed in ownership/management and hope was, and is, rekindled. No one has to set by and watch IU regress with a smile on his/her face and energetically ask "May I have another please." We can be fans and disagree as to prospects of success.

That is just a silly rational that anyone tied to IU is therefore a bad choice, especially if they've had success elsewhere. You jumped the shark after some disappointing losses, but don't go full speed ahead fbaugh!

Reactions: limestonecowboy
It might just be "critical speak" from a fan and that is acceptable. Cubs fans were long suffering and many were done with the team about April of every year. Some things changed in ownership/management and hope was, and is, rekindled. No one has to set by and watch IU regress with a smile on his/her face and energetically ask "May I have another please." We can be fans and disagree as to prospects of success.
Criticism is one thing. Saying a team sucks is quite another. He should go up to West Lafayette, as he's now in lockstep with Purdue fans.

In "lockstep with Purdue fans," now that seems a bit over the top. A handful of people on this board and at TOS hate to see this staff criticized, period. I hope IU football turns it around with this staff, but I am not holding my breath. I hope I am wrong in my evaluation and the program takes off. Regardless, I don't believe I will call someone a PU fan (or suggest he/she become one), if his/her position is different than my own and I will not blindly support aspects of IU's program that I feel are not furthering IU football, just because it is IU. You want to support all that is presently IU football, great. I won't suggest you are not a real fan because you support a position different from my own. I suspect we will see how this turns out in two to three years. That said I will still critique and support the concept of doing so on the board.

Maybe these rants serve as a catharsis for you, but they make you appear increasingly unhinged. You have no idea what Allen, Hagan and DeBord's "understanding" of winning is, and the old "open the checkbook and hire a great coach" argument is ludicrous. First, IU isn't in the market for a new HC and won't be unless and until Allen has several dismal seasons in a row. Further, what experienced, successful P5 HC would come here? We routinely make every "worst head coaching jobs in college football" list that's out there. And, with respect to successful mid-major HCs, there are at least as many who have failed after moving up to P5 ball as who have succeeded.

Allen will be given several years here. Let's hope he succeeds. And, if you have no hope, may I respectfully suggest you find another team. Why stick around if it's hopeless? The repetitive theme of your recent posts is becoming stale.

Let's clarify one thing. Crimson Crush is officially unhinged as he gets every year at about this same time.....and he is correct. Not that it matters. We'll just keep on with our guy who had little if any head coaching success at any level before Glass anointed him king after one good year a D coordinator. Hopefully Allen starts to figure things out but it doesn't look promising when you can't get the basics right.

By the way, saying IU sucks does not offend me either. Players and staff are generally, down deep, realistic about their performances. I suspect if you asked IU players and coaches (outside of an interview or public statement) how they played most of the Minn game, that is what you would hear. We sucked. Always surprised how honest most athletes will be in a one on one evaluation of team and self.

Criticism is one thing. Saying a team sucks is quite another. He should go up to West Lafayette, as he's now in lockstep with Purdue fans.

How else would you want me to describe this debacle? We do suck. I wanted badly to see Allen succeed because he seems like an upstanding guy but it’s becoming very clear to me that his LEO philosophy won’t get it done. We had the polar opposite with the last guy and that didn’t get it done either.
Maybe something in the middle? I’ve never seen anything but high fives and smiles on our sidelines. Our OL and DL are soft, play with no edge and appear to have quit on their coaches.
I want a team that is smart and looks like it knows what it is doing. I’m tired of seeing IU go into games sleepwalking from the start. That’s coaching. How do you not get up for a game? Iowa and Minnesota are examples where this team look like they just woke up from nappy time.
Scrap this LEO stuff and get some tough love going. Maybe a little less ass slapping and some more ass chewing will get their attention?
Good coaching could get more out of this bunch than we’ve seen. I know the defense is young but there is a philosophical / cultural issue at the top with the guy that hangs his hat on it. His defense last year with veterans tanked it the 2nd half of the year and are doing a repeat of that this year.
I think the early results are not promising at all with this staff. I kick myself for not heeding the warnings of others that saw it long before I could get my own head out of my ass.

The fact that Allen will be given several years is exactly why, we are IU.

The same crap went on with Crean. Glass needs a quicker trigger.
I will admit to being a lot less optimistic about this program and coaching staff than I was a week ago, but I still think Tom Allen deserves (and will get) two more years to right the ship. By that time it will be his recruits on the field and not as mistake-prone or overmatched freshmen and sophomores.

We still have an enormous talent deficiency in our jr. and sr. classes and our best athletes by far are first and second-year guys. Crawford, Jones, and Willis were really exposed Friday night. Our best d-lineman is a walk-on transfer from Western Illinois. Our upperclassmen on the O-line are horribly inconsistent to be generous.

But it cannot be denied that our defensive schemes for Minnesota were terrible (also being generous) and play-calling has been head scratching at times.

If you can't make a bowl game four years in and you can't by that time win a game or two you shouldn't win on paper, it's time to move on.

Anyone even bother noticing we had a few true freshman in the game on defense. Cam Jones, McFadden, and Williams were in there. I know Fitz a RS fresh was in there. The 2nd TD when Willis jumped and almost tipped the ball Cam would have been there to defend that play got completely picked. Should have been called too.

He did get fooled on some of those slants as the QB was optioning to the RB and he bit rather than peeled off into coverage. That left the slot wide open and he paid for it a few times. When he did line up properly he didn't take the middle away and again they picked on him.

Anyways down 31-15 Jones stripped the minny RB and IU recovered. Whoever said these guys quit? I hate calling names so I'll say stupid observation.

The next minny possession Fitzgerald gets a pick!

Anyways, Allen is playing youth on defense and you have to let that grow and develop. Both Ball and Riggins went down and thats a big hit. Its not an excuse it is what it is. jus sayin

The only positive on the offense was Ramsey in the second half took several deep shots downfield. Did not think he could do that as wet as that field was. Hopefully that continues.

Last edited:
Reactions: ESalum86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT