ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Pete Rose

So…what’s everybody think? Was it justice or injustice keeping him out of the HoF for life?

Think he’ll get in posthumously?
He was his own worst enemy and couldn’t get out of his own way, but I would have liked to see him in the Hall while he was alive.

It would have been good for the Reds and Cincinnati. I truly believed no one loved baseball more than he did.

I was a huge Reds fan growing up, and Pete Rose was a big reason for that.
He pissed all over the game of baseball, and did not belong in the Hall.
I hope he gets in within 5 years now.

Reactions: stollcpa
So…what’s everybody think? Was it justice or injustice keeping him out of the HoF for life?

Think he’ll get in posthumously?
Wow. Just heard this. Just got back from working out and my bride told me after I showered.

He lied and he was a pretty scummy guy around the city. But I don’t believe he ever negatively impacted the score of a game or its ultimate outcome.

The thing I always appreciated about Rose is that he got more out of his natural ability than any other athlete I can think about. Jordan had a higher ceiling and probably got as close to his as Rose did.

I think it’s a travesty that he was denied induction to the HOF while alive. Bart Giamatti is the ultimate villain to the west side of Cincinnati. Westsiders might tear down the Hall if they try something now.

Wow. Just heard this. Just got back from working out and my bride told me after I showered.

He lied and he was a pretty scummy guy around the city. But I don’t believe he ever negatively impacted the score of a game or its ultimate outcome.

The thing I always appreciated about Rose is that he got more out of his natural ability than any other athlete I can think about. Jordan had a higher ceiling and probably got as close to his as Rose did.

I think it’s a travesty that he was denied induction to the HOF while alive. Bart Giamatti is the ultimate villain to the west side of Cincinnati. Westsiders might tear down the Hall if they try something now.
💯

Compare that to Mantle. He never played sober. It’s hard enough to play slow pitch softball while in the bag. He’s in the discussion of best talents ever.

Pete was an ass but he competed

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Rose was one of the greatest batters ever. He agreed to the lifetime ban, case closed.

The two greatest hitters ever are banned. Thats life.
Man, that’s cold.

Rose always expected a reprieve and some form of redemption.

Had Rose been given the honor, after all these years, he would have cried at the podium for half an hour. And you can bet that the HOFers at the induction would have been right there with him. There might be a couple of hard asses who might have boycotted but I’m convinced the great majority would have supported him.

Last edited:
Reactions: stollcpa
Compare that to Mantle. He never played sober. It’s hard enough to play slow pitch softball while in the bag. He’s in the discussion of best talents ever.

Pete was an ass but he competed
If Mantle hadn’t had all of the knee problems over the years he would have all the records.

Read something recently that included a quote from him that if you took all the times he walked or struck out there were essentially seven years when he didn’t touch a baseball.

Reactions: Spartans9312
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericma...ose-should-never-be-admitted-to-hall-of-fame/ :

MLB Rule 21 provides that a player will be banned for life if he bets on a game in which he is involved. Here's the language of that Rule:

"Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible."
The Rule was put in place in 1927 after the Black Sox scandal of 1919, when eight Chicago White Sox were accused of throwing the World Series in exchange for money from gamblers. The scandal had the potential of toppling the game and MLB acted quickly by implementing Rule 21.

It is impossible for a player not to be aware of Rule 21. It's everywhere. It's posted in the clubhouse. It's in the shower. It's carved into soap. It's in the sandwiches. Every player every year acknowledges the rule in writing. The ubiquity of the rule underscores its importance. Rose knew the rule and broke it.

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericma...ose-should-never-be-admitted-to-hall-of-fame/ :

MLB Rule 21 provides that a player will be banned for life if he bets on a game in which he is involved. Here's the language of that Rule:

The Rule was put in place in 1927 after the Black Sox scandal of 1919, when eight Chicago White Sox were accused of throwing the World Series in exchange for money from gamblers. The scandal had the potential of toppling the game and MLB acted quickly by implementing Rule 21.

It is impossible for a player not to be aware of Rule 21. It's everywhere. It's posted in the clubhouse. It's in the shower. It's carved into soap. It's in the sandwiches. Every player every year acknowledges the rule in writing. The ubiquity of the rule underscores its importance. Rose knew the rule and broke it.
Wonder if that rule has been litigated. Rose settled if I remember right

I guess duty to perform means participates

MLB and the NBHOF&M are separate and distinct entities.

The latter passed a rule after all this went on with Rose which disqualified anybody on the permanent ineligible list from their ballots.

There’s no reason they couldn’t repeal that rule - independently of MLB’s rules.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT