ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Lonnie Mack

Clapton has six phases. 1.Psychedelic blues guitar slinger. 2.GOD. 3.Country picker. 4.Singer songwriter. 5.Retro Blues Player. 6.Grown up musician.

I like stage 2, 3. I love stage 5. I can tolerate 1 and 6. I absolutely detest stage 4.

You might have forgotten his reggae phase, and his "stealing-from-JJ-Cale" phase......come to think of it, they're both just his theft phase.

You might have forgotten his reggae phase, and his "stealing-from-JJ-Cale" phase......come to think of it, they're both just his theft phase.
That was reggae? Who knew...

I can't remember if that was before or after his Don Williams phase, I know his stealing from JJ is during .. and would have happened during his country picker phase, when did ISTS come out?

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
ugh, yea ....
Most of your posts should be this succinct.

This was my way of saying - hey, I think he's a good guitar player, but I'm an uneducated boob who just happens to listen to a shit ton of music. I was looking for more insight from a man of your skills....

Most of your posts should be this succinct.

This was my way of saying - hey, I think he's a good guitar player, but I'm an uneducated boob who just happens to listen to a shit ton of music. I was looking for more insight from a man of your skills....

Okay

What can I say that you don't already know? He's good, and I like his style, one of the finest electric flatpickers in modern times. I just wish he wouldn't have went full retard. He should have went independent, he would have made more money, slower, but .. yea. He's in the later part of his career, where he's not a cash cow, so he has much more freedom musically. So this is probably the best time to see him. It'll be far more real than anything post PPL ..

Edit: he ended his contract with UMG recently (2012) and signed with Rounders. Fk yea! Now IS the time to see him. He saw the light.. and took off the asshat. I didn't know that.. thanks for asking Hoops..

I love the intro to Amie, it's one of my favorite acoustic pieces.

Last edited:
Hey read this ...

It's a decent article. It's dated but pretty good. Says a lot, about him and Nashville. I've always said any real musician who has signed with them in any way regrets it.

Notable things, he signed with his longtime band that has been around for 14 years, which was only a vehicle for a bunch of Nashville guys to play what they wanted. It says as much. @C-$ He calls modern country music "mind numbing" ... basically a fk you to Nashville.

Now I want to go see a Time Jumpers show. Why didn't someone tell me this was going on? It's like a long lost brother getting out of prison.

Last edited:
Hey read this ...

It's a decent article. It's dated but pretty good. Says a lot, about him and Nashville. I've always said any real musician who has signed with them in any way regrets it.

Notable things, he signed with his longtime band that has been around for 14 years, which was only a vehicle for a bunch of Nashville guys to play what they wanted. It says as much. @C-$ He calls modern country music "mind numbing" ... basically a fk you to Nashville.

Now I want to go see a Time Jumpers show. Why didn't someone tell me this was going on? It's like a long lost brother getting out of prison.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

I asked you about him because I have a perception of him as a musician, but totally get that I don't have the foundation to really know if it's valid or not. When I need someone to explain the triangle offense to me, I go to @FL33; when I want to learn about music, well, you've educated this moran more than you know.

Now, I'm going searching for some Saturday morning bluegrass to work by....

I asked you about him because I have a perception of him as a musician, but totally get that I don't have the foundation to really know if it's valid or not. When I need someone to explain the triangle offense to me, I go to @FL33; when I want to learn about music, well, you've educated this moran more than you know.

Might want to search for the local community radio station in Bloomington, WFHB.

They have a really good bluegrass and knowledgeable host do a Saturday morning show. It's on right now.

For Blues, look no further than Aardvark Blues Radio online. Though this is almost all music.

A story about Pure Prairie League and Vince Gill: there was a place in Cincy called the Ludlow Garage. The promoter there scored several huge acts to play there, including the Allmans who recorded a live album there. Vince Gill and PPL came to play there, and stayed at a local commune. They like the commune so much they stayed there for a few weeks, and Gill supposedly wrote Amie there.

Not sure how accurate any of this is, but there was a story on our local public radio station about the Ludlow Garage and this was mentioned.

A story about Pure Prairie League and Vince Gill: there was a place in Cincy called the Ludlow Garage. The promoter there scored several huge acts to play there, including the Allmans who recorded a live album there. Vince Gill and PPL came to play there, and stayed at a local commune. They like the commune so much they stayed there for a few weeks, and Gill supposedly wrote Amie there.

Not sure how accurate any of this is, but there was a story on our local public radio station about the Ludlow Garage and this was mentioned.
Not his song. It was written by Craig Fuller - PPL vocalist - about a girl from Ohio named Amie. So, the story may very well be true except who the writer is. Next time they mention it, call in and correct them. vbg

Reactions: burnthemallralphie

What's really cool, we haven't talked much about Lonnie, but almost everyone mentioned in this thread and many others were influenced by him as all guitarists were. Though I always say Miles Davis invented the modern solo, it was Lonnie Mack who showed them how to play it on guitar. Hell of a talent. Learned his chops while living in Indiana too...

Hey read this ...

This is funny. VG was my grandmother's favorite. She probably liked a lot of his Nashville stuff, but still... We went to see him for her 90th bday.

^^this guy ^^

Seriously though, I'm like you in that I listen to a bunch of different stuff. I don't know jack about music, though. This place has increased my appreciation of several things musically. Usually, after a typical TMP berating.... but still.

Reactions: T.M.P.
This is funny. VG was my grandmother's favorite. She probably liked a lot of his Nashville stuff, but still... We went to see him for her 90th bday.

^^this guy ^^

Seriously though, I'm like you in that I listen to a bunch of different stuff. I don't know jack about music, though. This place has increased my appreciation of several things musically. Usually, after a typical TMP berating.... but still.
Glad im useful for something

Wow dude that was a nice thing to say. Are you okay? vbg

Ugh, it's the OTF so ... go get a hug from IU Bigman.

nar8.gif

Every time I see this gif, I imagine it as IUBigman gives Warison a hug. It makes me laugh. I don't know why I think that - I'm guessing I was really stoned once.

Hey read this ...

It's a decent article. It's dated but pretty good. Says a lot, about him and Nashville. .

@C-$ ...

Did you read that article? Its very educational .. I'll make it easier for your 138 IQ to understand, since I have a 138.5 and all. After being with a Nashville Machine Label for 20+ years, Vince Gill signed with Rounder Records. It's basically known as the FK YOU NASHVILLE! label.

Here's what was said ..
Vince’s longtime band, the Time Jumpers, has signed with Rounder Records. The 11-member Western swing group formed 14 years ago as a way for musicians to gather and play their favorite songs, and have recently begun working on their debut studio album.

Why would professional musicians NEED a way to play their favorite songs? What could possibly be stopping them?

More..
Kenny Sears says. “We have all been fans of this label for a long time. The fact that they are excited about our project makes us twice as excited: lots of excitement! We’re very proud of this album; it’s the first time we’ve been able to record our own songs in a studio setting.”

The first time they've been able to record their OWN songs? Why?

More... and this one is telling ..

Vince says being with the Time Jumpers reminds him of when he was just beginning his legendary career. “We split up the money after the gig behind the amps, just like the old days,” the Country Music Hall of Fame member tells the Portland Press Herald. “I like to joke, ‘It’s the only time I play in Nashville where I get paid.’ Every other gig is a benefit. I just love playing music.

“I like to joke, ‘It’s the only time I play in Nashville where I get paid.’

More...
He recently called (modern country music) “mind-numbing.” “For me, [country music] lost its traditional bent pretty severely,” Vince recently lamented to Pittsburgh’s Post-Gazette. “I would love to hear someone write a song like ‘He Stopped Loving Her Today’ rather than ‘You’re hot. I’m hot. We’re in a truck.'”

‘You’re hot. I’m hot. We’re in a truck.'” < the stuff you listen to.

@C-$ ...

Did you read that article? Its very educational .. I'll make it easier for your 138 IQ to understand, since I have a 138.5 and all. After being with a Nashville Machine Label for 20+ years, Vince Gill signed with Rounder Records. It's basically known as the FK YOU NASHVILLE! label.

Here's what was said ..
Vince’s longtime band, the Time Jumpers, has signed with Rounder Records. The 11-member Western swing group formed 14 years ago as a way for musicians to gather and play their favorite songs, and have recently begun working on their debut studio album.

Why would professional musicians NEED a way to play their favorite songs? What could possibly be stopping them?

More..
Kenny Sears says. “We have all been fans of this label for a long time. The fact that they are excited about our project makes us twice as excited: lots of excitement! We’re very proud of this album; it’s the first time we’ve been able to record our own songs in a studio setting.”

The first time they've been able to record their OWN songs? Why?

More... and this one is telling ..

Vince says being with the Time Jumpers reminds him of when he was just beginning his legendary career. “We split up the money after the gig behind the amps, just like the old days,” the Country Music Hall of Fame member tells the Portland Press Herald. “I like to joke, ‘It’s the only time I play in Nashville where I get paid.’ Every other gig is a benefit. I just love playing music.

“I like to joke, ‘It’s the only time I play in Nashville where I get paid.’

More...
He recently called (modern country music) “mind-numbing.” “For me, [country music] lost its traditional bent pretty severely,” Vince recently lamented to Pittsburgh’s Post-Gazette. “I would love to hear someone write a song like ‘He Stopped Loving Her Today’ rather than ‘You’re hot. I’m hot. We’re in a truck.'”

‘You’re hot. I’m hot. We’re in a truck.'” < the stuff you listen to.

Thanks, buddy.

I'll look into it.

Clapton has six phases. 1.Psychedelic blues guitar slinger. 2.GOD. 3.Country picker. 4.Singer songwriter. 5.Retro Blues Player. 6.Grown up musician.

I like stage 2, 3. I love stage 5. I can tolerate 1 and 6. I absolutely detest stage 4.
So your favorite song is Forever Man? vbg

I'm happy to be free from the burden of infinite knowledge. It allows me to enjoy so much more of life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT