ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Lonnie Mack

Bad year for music. As we lose these guys they're being replaced by asshats, strippers, game show contestants and boy bands.

There IS hope.... (3:23 in....)

and here....

McHoop

Last edited:
There IS hope....

McHoop
Man, not hating on the dude, but we've already had Kenny Wayne Shepard, John Mayer, Bonamassa and countless boring others.. White boy blues is dead and boring. Everyone thinks blues is what was played in Chicago from 55 onward, it's not. That era was the end of blues, it died.

fwiw - I rather listen to this kid than all of the above listed. He almost has it. He plays fingerstyle, real blues players don't use picks and he plays old style delta a bit, not well, but that's a great start. at least it's not stuck in Chicago. Nothing bores me more than Bonamassa and his style of overplayed white boy chicago not blues.

Chicago blues is a severely watered down version of Delta meant for white audiences to listen to. They've eliminated a majority of blues notes. Boring..

Delta, Texas, Piedmont, Stomp, are all superior forms of blues, but aren't played much anymore instead being replaced by Chicago style...especially by white players. I much prefer Taj Mahal, Gary Clark Jr, etc etc ... they get it.

This kid has hope ... he has a little funk to his playing but plays a bit mechanically, maybe because he's being interviewed and not actually performing, but man sounds like he needs better feel. At least he doesn't overplay like Bonamassa and Mayer..

Man, not hating on the dude, but we've already had Kenny Wayne Shepard, John Mayer, Bonamassa and countless boring others.. White boy blues is dead and boring. Everyone thinks blues is what was played in Chicago from 55 onward, it's not. That era was the end of blues, it died.

fwiw - I rather listen to this kid than all of the above listed. He almost has it. He plays fingerstyle, real blues players don't use picks and he plays old style delta a bit, not well, but that's a great start. at least it's not stuck in Chicago. Nothing bores me more than Bonamassa and his style of overplayed white boy chicago not blues.

Chicago blues is a severely watered down version of Delta meant for white audiences to listen to. They've eliminated a majority of blues notes. Boring..

Delta, Texas, Piedmont, Stomp, are all superior forms of blues, but aren't played much anymore instead being replaced by Chicago style...especially by white players. I much prefer Taj Mahal, Gary Clark Jr, etc etc ... they get it.

This kid has hope ... he has a little funk to his playing but plays a bit mechanically, maybe because he's being interviewed and not actually performing, but man sounds like he needs better feel. At least he doesn't overplay like Bonamassa and Mayer..
Love Gary Clark Jr. and agree on Bonamassa and Mayer.

Surprised you guys haven't mentioned Blake Mills. He's my current favorite, and is a mutherfuker on the guitar. His tone is amazing, and he's got incredible dynamics.
He's not blues per se, and in my book, I like him even more so for being an equal songwriter, as opposed to just a guitar slinger. (All you racist c*nts here will love the title of one of his albums "break mirrors", so there's added value for some you...)

Reactions: T.M.P.
I have seen Taj 4 times as well. I saw him perform in a large tent in Fairbanks, AK in 1994. Probably 20 people total, I sat on a bench perhaps 5 feet from his "stage." It was him, a piano, and a guitar. He played 2 shows and I went to both. Man it was great, other than my GF elbowing me in the ribs because she wanted to leave.

I have seen Taj 4 times as well. I saw him perform in a large tent in Fairbanks, AK in 1994. Probably 20 people total, I sat on a bench perhaps 5 feet from his "stage." It was him, a piano, and a guitar. He played 2 shows and I went to both. Man it was great, other than my GF elbowing me in the ribs because she wanted to leave.
Why the hell was he playing in a tent in Fairbanks for 20 people? And why the hell were you in a tent in Fairbanks?

I'm jealous. He's basically a blues history encyclopedia.

Surprised you guys haven't mentioned Blake Mills. He's my current favorite, and is a mutherfuker on the guitar. His tone is amazing, and he's got incredible dynamics.
He's not blues per se, and in my book, I like him even more so for being an equal songwriter, as opposed to just a guitar slinger. (All you racist c*nts here will love the title of one of his albums "break mirrors", so there's added value for some you...)
Like ....

first time I've heard him. Not bad, agree about his tone, it's deep and resonant, I hate thin guitar. I like his taste in what he considers blues too. Good voice. He gets my vote though I don't like some of his phrasing just a bit too much at times, not Joe Bonamassa too much, but a bit. Simple with feel, is always best when it comes to blues..

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe

I got da blues '
'Bout da blues
Gonna use my shoes
Ta pay some dues
How 'bout youse?
I got da blues.

Like ....

first time I've heard him. Not bad, agree about his tone, it's deep and resonant, I hate thin guitar. I like his taste in what he considers blues too. Good voice. He gets my vote though I don't like some of his phrasing just a bit too much at times, not Joe Bonamassa too much, but a bit. Simple with feel, is always best when it comes to blues..
That tube amp sounds really nice, great growl - he's got it dialed in nicely. Probably custom wound pickups too. Nice rig.

Edit: actually it obviously is a custom pickup, and he's yanked out the stock single coils. I didn't really even look at the guitar the first time through, was going on sound.

Last edited:

Vince Gill has a guitar like that

@Cream&Crimson : The local PBS station paid for him to come up. The viewer support for NPR and PBS was impressive in Alaska (not surprising) so he came up and did 2 shows at the local fair. I was living up there in those days, and wish I still was.

I also saw the Academy of St. Martins of the Fields up there. They are a renowned chamber orchestra from England.

@Cream&Crimson : The local PBS station paid for him to come up. The viewer support for NPR and PBS was impressive in Alaska (not surprising) so he came up and did 2 shows at the local fair. I was living up there in those days, and wish I still was.

I also saw the Academy of St. Martins of the Fields up there. They are a renowned chamber orchestra from England.

That's awesome.

My cousin lived in North Pole AK for many years.

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
That tube amp sounds really nice, great growl - he's got it dialed in nicely. Probably custom wound pickups too. Nice rig.

Edit: actually it obviously is a custom pickup, and he's yanked out the stock single coils. I didn't really even look at the guitar the first time through, was going on sound.

It has a tele headstock, but the body ... WTF is that? Okay so I looked it up. It's a custom built "Coodercaster".. the pickup was ripped out of another guitar.

Here's what I found ..

In an interview with the Fretboard Journal magazine, starting around the 33 minute mark, Mills says that Mike Cornwall, an LA-based guitar repairman and tech, built Mill's Coodercaster.

Cornwall was Mills' guitar tech when Mills was playing with Lucinda Williams, and the two built the guitar which Blake says is "obviously heavily inspired by the Coodercaster, (but) the neck pickup is different. The neck pickup was something that was in a guitar that Val McCallum had lent to me."

Mills describes the pickup being kind of mysterious; it took a lot of research to find where it came from. Mills goes on to say in the interview that the pickup "was on a single model of hollow body Guyatone guitars. The guitars themselves are not great instruments usually, so I don't have a lot of guilt about pulling the pickups out of them." Blake does not reveal the exact model Guyatone... Aside from the neck pickup, Mills said the guitar was "made from parts Mike found while we were on the road." The guitar has a telecaster neck, and the bridge pickup is "from a Valco" lapsteel inside the housing of a Lollar copy.

I've seen guys put tele necks on strat bodies. Those pick-ups are crazy looking! Don't know anything about Guyatone, I'll have to look that up. Coodercaster, lol.

I love guitar players who are really tone freaks though. I jammed for a while about 8 years or so ago with this one guy I found on bandmix.com, just looking for guys to get together and jam with as I was at the time. He had never played with other musicians - at all. But he could really play. He was in his 40s, single guy never married, and had played his whole life just as a hobby. Just played to records. It was fun playing with him, and maddening at the same time, and after a while it got a little old and I knew we could never play out because he took so long to get everything dialed in. He always brought two amps - a Matchless double twelve (I think) cab with tube head, and some other smaller boutique single speaker combo tube amp. And four guitars: Strat, Les Paul Custom, Wildcat hollow-body and a PRS. He had wound the pickups himself in the Strat and replaced all the rest from some guy who winds pickups as a business. It took him at least 5 minutes to dial in between songs. But he sounded like no other player I've jammed with. And he loved Rush and could play it note for note. I have listened to enough Rush to be able to get through a distant approximation and at least know the time signatures which is challenging enough. But he always wanted to play at least a couple Rush songs each time we played. So we accommodated him. Once we were thinking of a blues song to play, and one of us asked him if he knew Red House, and he ripped off a jaw-dropping version of it. But he eventually got frustrated I think, because sadly since he hadn't played with others through the years he couldn't adapt. But I miss his tone, would like to hear him play again.

It has a tele headstock, but the body ... WTF is that? Okay so I looked it up. It's a custom built "Coodercaster".. the pickup was ripped out of another guitar.

Here's what I found ..

In an interview with the Fretboard Journal magazine, starting around the 33 minute mark, Mills says that Mike Cornwall, an LA-based guitar repairman and tech, built Mill's Coodercaster.

Cornwall was Mills' guitar tech when Mills was playing with Lucinda Williams, and the two built the guitar which Blake says is "obviously heavily inspired by the Coodercaster, (but) the neck pickup is different. The neck pickup was something that was in a guitar that Val McCallum had lent to me."

Mills describes the pickup being kind of mysterious; it took a lot of research to find where it came from. Mills goes on to say in the interview that the pickup "was on a single model of hollow body Guyatone guitars. The guitars themselves are not great instruments usually, so I don't have a lot of guilt about pulling the pickups out of them." Blake does not reveal the exact model Guyatone... Aside from the neck pickup, Mills said the guitar was "made from parts Mike found while we were on the road." The guitar has a telecaster neck, and the bridge pickup is "from a Valco" lapsteel inside the housing of a Lollar copy.

Like ....

You're picky, but you're entitled to your opinion of course. I think the dude is outrageously good. His tone, his time, his feel.....feel for days. Cool changes, and he carries the tune while being virtuosic but tasteful underneath. Pretty outrageous.
He started as a side man with Tony Berg and Tbone, transitioned to making his own records, and is a producer now too. Think he just produced the latest John Legend record with Pino and Chris Dave. Can't wait to hear that, even though I'm not a John Legend fan. I just moved to LA, and he's pretty much in every musician's conversation around here. It's deserved I think.

You're picky, but you're entitled to your opinion of course. I think the dude is outrageously good. His tone, his time, his feel.....feel for days. Cool changes, and he carries the tune while being virtuosic but tasteful underneath. Pretty outrageous.
He started as a side man with Tony Berg and Tbone, transitioned to making his own records, and is a producer now too. Think he just produced the latest John Legend record with Pino and Chris Dave. Can't wait to hear that, even though I'm not a John Legend fan. I just moved to LA, and he's pretty much in every musician's conversation around here. It's deserved I think.
Just so happens he's playing in Indy tomorrow night, opening up for Mumford & Sons.

TMP would stick a sharp pencil in his ears after the opening act.

I love guitar players who are really tone freaks though
My buddy has a 3/4 sized beginners guitar that he completely ripped apart and rewired using top of the line components.. this thing screams. I was amazed how well it sounded. Of course we just tell him he now looks bigger on stage. He's about 5'6.... lol ..

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
Oh I didn't say he wasn't I just said there was part where I didn't like his idea. It only lasted a few seconds though, I think it was the first or second break. Just a bit too much on the dissonance, didn't really understand what he was going for and it just didn't work for me...

but regardless of what I like.... "like" and "good" are not always mutually exclusive. I'm not one of those people who can't separate the two. Yea, dude, I think he's wonderful, and I gave him more pluses and minuses. He's almost Ry Cooder good.

My buddy has a 3/4 sized beginners guitar that he completely ripped apart and rewired using top of the line components.. this thing screams. I was amazed how well it sounded. Of course we just tell him he now looks bigger on stage. He's about 5'6.... lol ..
Lol.

Pickup winding does make a huge difference and a good set of pickups can make a cheap no-name guitar sound really sweet. That guy I knew could tell you exactly how many winds is optimum for bridge/neck position on each type of body and for various playing styles. And I believe it, because his rigs all were amazing. There's nothing like a tube amp stage when it's just beginning to break up, with exactly the right amount of input coming in from the pickups. And I'm not a guitar player but love guitars. And I was a long-time power amp tech, so I like amps.

Would you consider Gill a "good" guitar player?

Who the hell wouldn't? One of my favorite concert moments was taking my son to a Clapton concert in Nashville several years ago and Vince Gill joined Clapton on stage for a 3 or 4 song acoustic set.

Who the hell wouldn't? One of my favorite concert moments was taking my son to a Clapton concert in Nashville several years ago and Vince Gill joined Clapton on stage for a 3 or 4 song acoustic set.
I'd rather listen to Vince Gill any day over Clapton.

I'd rather listen to Vince Gill any day over Clapton.
Depends on what they're playing.... Clapton, is amazing when playing fingerstyle blues, and he makes me feel better, because he misses bass notes at times, that I hit. Gotta have that thumb down...

I also play a mirco-tone bend on the riff for Oh Well that Peter Green does, that Jimmy Page can't do. So I have that going for me too. lol ...

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
Just so happens he's playing in Indy tomorrow night, opening up for Mumford & Sons.

TMP would stick a sharp pencil in his ears after the opening act.
I like bad closing acts with great openers... that way I can just leave and not fight traffic.

he carries the tune while being virtuosic but tasteful underneath.
I get that remark, it alone is a rare super power. Most virtuosos overplay, and only because they can. My friend John is that way. He's amazingly gifted, but at times... the fretboard is way too easy for him to play around on.

Depends on what they're playing.... Clapton, is amazing when playing fingerstyle blues, and he makes me feel better, because he misses bass notes at times, that I hit. Gotta have that thumb down...

I also play a mirco-tone bend on the riff for Oh Well that Peter Green does, that Jimmy Page can't do. So I have that going for me too. lol ...
I do like a lot of Clapton's blues playing but don't care for his radio stuff, at all, and never did.

I do like a lot of Clapton's blues playing but don't care for his radio stuff, at all, and never did.

Clapton has six phases. 1.Psychedelic blues guitar slinger. 2.GOD. 3.Country picker. 4.Singer songwriter. 5.Retro Blues Player. 6.Grown up musician.

I like stage 2, 3. I love stage 5. I can tolerate 1 and 6. I absolutely detest stage 4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT