ADVERTISEMENT

Rice, leader of men.

I'm so sold on Rice and Carlyle. Hard to worry about Haralson when we have these guys.
For sure. Like this Mullins kid? I could care less. Sure, high 5 star and 4 star guys are good to have commit. But man, are they gonna be Rice??? Hell no. I am one that wants to play by the new rules and change it up.

No one can say the portal route doesn’t work because there is no data. Only muscleman has done it before the portal, and he did pretty dang good. He never had a transfer haul like we have tho.

a 10ppg+ scorer with 1-2 yrs college experience playing for a P5 team, who still plans to stick around for another 2+ yrs, is more appealing to me than a million dollar OAD who hasn't even been to his first day of class at IU. We're all still adjusting our mindsets in the new age of portal + NIL. But I am now realizing that the ole "locking down the state of Indiana" does not matter as much as it once did.

Granted, I do miss the days where kids (Alford, Bailey etc) grew up shooting FTs in their driveway, pretending they were playing for IU in the Hall and about to make two game-winning free throws....while their boom box played Mellencamp's Rain on the Scarecrow.

a 10ppg+ scorer with 1-2 yrs college experience playing for a P5 team, who still plans to stick around for another 2+ yrs, is more appealing to me than a million dollar OAD who hasn't even been to his first day of class at IU. We're all still adjusting our mindsets in the new age of portal + NIL. But I am now realizing that the ole "locking down the state of Indiana" does not matter as much as it once did.

Granted, I do miss the days where kids (Alford, Bailey etc) grew up shooting FTs in their driveway, pretending they were playing for IU in the Hall and about to make two game-winning free throws....while their boom box played Mellencamp's Rain on the Scarecrow.
Those days are gone. If IU is to become a "dream school" again, they'll have to stay up with all the things modern day kids pay attention to. And that's basically technology related things, NIL deals, allowing their players to have social media presence, etc...

As with most things, IU's coaching staff should always strive for the best possible blend of talent and experience they can achieve with their roster, every year. They have a number of guys on their roster now, that have been at IU now for multiple years. So all this "they're buying a team"...is largely BS. Basically, a school like IU should strive to find that best balance between talent and experience. They have the resources to largely do what they want. So find that balance.

It'll fluctuate from year to year, but I would think a decent guideline would be to return around half your roster every year, and replace and refresh half your roster ever year. And from the new guys coming in, have a decent mix and blend of likely multi year guys, and 1 and dones.

This seems to make sense, to me. And it happens to be exactly what Woodson has with this roster.

Reactions: Willdog7
I've long been a firm believer that having a guiding force as your PG, is basically essential to win big. I used to think the PG needed to be the traditional version, what usually comes to mind when you say "Point Guard"...pass first, defensive minded, vocal leader, etc... Obviously, that's not necessary. I do still think a team goes as their PG goes though. And that the PG needs to fit the team needs, and lead the team, not fight against its other good parts.

If Rice is a great "leader of men", and he fits in alongside our other talented players, this could be a special year versus what we've been used to lately.

Reactions: Willdog7

we did not have Mellencamp in the hood.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT