ADVERTISEMENT

Rice committed

Then why are you arguing that the NCAA has power and money in regards to the NIL?
From what I have read, the courts eliminated the NCAA's control over NIL.
They did. The last nail was the Tennessee WV lawsuit. They got the injunction almost immediately. NCAA can’t fight this. To many schools and states to fight.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Student Athletes, Be True to your School, Fight for the Cream and Crimson, Hail Purdue, Shake Down the Thunder - all just a fading memory now.

Here’s the fact, Jack:

Then why are you arguing that the NCAA has power and money in regards to the NIL?
I linked the proposal from the NCAA which member schools (all of them) will vote in. The current situation will not remain. There will be some regulation and transparency IMO. Don’t like it, don’t like it. As I’ve said, we shall see.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
The NCAA has the biggest chunk of money to dole out to members.

That isn’t in accordance with the initial intent or rules. I’ll have to research current rules, but anyone that approaches this with the attitude of “$X million is available and I’m going to spend all of it” is a fool.
I am starting to think you might be as naive as any of the unrealistically optimistic youngsters hanging around here. The “initial intent or rules” was bastardized about 2 minutes after they posted them. Clean got dirty and dirty got dirtier.
No issue. I still haven't seen anything saying the coaches control it. Have you?
You won’t find evidence of a lot of shady sh*t. That’s what makes it shady.

I am starting to think you might be as naive as any of the unrealistically optimistic youngsters hanging around here. The “initial intent or rules” was bastardized about 2 minutes after they posted them. Clean got dirty and dirty got dirtier.

Yeah. I was born yesterday. 🤔

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I linked the proposal from the NCAA which member schools (all of them) will vote in. The current situation will not remain. There will be some regulation and transparency IMO. Don’t like it, don’t like it. As I’ve said, we shall see.
Just because it’s voted in doesn’t mean it will happen. The ncaa is dead. The SEC and B1G are more powerful than anyone. That’s where all the money is.

Just because it’s voted in doesn’t mean it will happen. The ncaa is dead. The SEC and B1G are more powerful than anyone. That’s where all the money is.
They have already formed a group to discuss "significant challenges" in college sports.

It's conceivable they could decide to leave the NCAA, start their own association and run their own tournament. I don't think that will happen, but they might use the threat as leverage.

Here we go with opinions stated as if they’re facts. I said we shall see.

I don't know the $1.2M, someone else posted that.

It's very hard to figure out the exact numbers, you have to triangulate and estimate and listen to what people say. If people don't believe it that's fine, I just think it's interesting to discuss and try and figure it out.
I also get a very strong feeling NIL numbers will fluctuate depending on the players you have, and are in the running to get. If Cooper Flagg were to open his recruitment up, for some reason, and IU were a finalist, that would effect what our "NIL budget is", as an example. I also wonder if the NIL value a kid brings with them to college factors in? Olivia Dunne commands multi millions, and she's a gymnast. Does that mean LSU's women's gymnastics NIL budget is multi millions?

Lots of "grey area" when establishing NIL money capabilities. Seems to me like the numbers that are usually reported are referencing the collectives. In reality, its an organic number that will ebb and flow each year. And if you're a program that has an active billionaire, NIL money could be relatively "limitless". To use Cooper Flagg as an example...How much would Tyson fork over for Arkansas to land a kid like that, if he were available and interested? A guy like that's pledged amount could change overnight in this situation.

I also get a very strong feeling NIL numbers will fluctuate depending on the players you have, and are in the running to get. If Cooper Flagg were to open his recruitment up, for some reason, and IU were a finalist, that would effect what our "NIL budget is", as an example. I also wonder if the NIL value a kid brings with them to college factors in? Olivia Dunne commands multi millions, and she's a gymnast. Does that mean LSU's women's gymnastics NIL budget is multi millions?

Lots of "grey area" when establishing NIL money capabilities. Seems to me like the numbers that are usually reported are referencing the collectives. In reality, its an organic number that will ebb and flow each year. And if you're a program that has an active billionaire, NIL money could be relatively "limitless". To use Cooper Flagg as an example...How much would Tyson fork over for Arkansas to land a kid like that, if he were available and interested? A guy like that's pledged amount could change overnight in this situation.
There is a committed amount (generally the collectives), which is great, because a coach knows it's there and they can tell recruits they have the committed funds to meet a recruit's NIL ask -- which almost every recruit will ask about before a visit. This committed amounts from the collectives (and maybe a few businesses outside the collective that understand how this works) is what people usually quote when they say a program has $X amount NIL.

I could see the committed amount going up. If Cooper wanted to go to Arkansas and they had used up their committed NIL, I'm sure Cal would call Tyson and ask for more. There does seem to be some fluidity to it as you said, so personally I look at as very broad estimates. Others may look at it differently.

The above is for normal basketball/football players.

Then there are people with large followings: Caitlin Clark, Livvy, maybe some big time QBs, etc. that have deals with companies that are typical marketing arrangements where the company gets a ROI from the exposure/association the athlete provides. These likely don't count when people reference as school's NIL capability. Caitlin's deals with State Farm and Gatorade aren't part of Iowa's "NIL commitment" since they aren't ongoing commitments to be used for future players or other players, it's CC only.

Just some observations. It's interesting stuff and there isn't much info out there.

You won’t find evidence because anything is legal now, as long as the contract is written correctly.

Everyone knows this is pay for play with no cap. But, in the contract there will be some legalistic mumbo jumbo explicitly stating that any funds are not for performance or playing a sport. It’s just compensation for image and likeness.

As far as being shady, as you state, since there is no legal or illegal barrier, it’s all just a matter of where it falls on the dirty scale.

The good news is that it’s a sliding scale that is easily measured. If a program has boosters paying $10 million they are dirtier than a program that has boosters paying $100,000. Are they 100 times dirtier? Maybe? Maybe more.

The only thing tricky for fans is we don’t know exactly what the boosters are paying. So, how much dirtier is (say) Illinois than (say) Illinois State, one can only guess.

I disagree because they wouldn't be getting any funds at all without playing for the university and disclosure is coming:

I don't want this to operate like a legalized version of the illegal under the table pay for play that existed at the dirty universities.
How much do you make? Please post, since you wouldn’t be getting funds if you weren’t a former gov’t employee. Taxpayer money still funds what you do, no? So post your last 4 years salary, practice what you preach…you know, to keep sunlight on our military contractors who badly need disinfecting.

How much do you make? Please post, since you wouldn’t be getting funds if you weren’t a former gov’t employee. Taxpayer money still funds what you do, no? So post your last 4 years salary, practice what you preach…you know, to keep sunlight on our military contractors who badly need disinfecting.
No, and I’m not a military contractor. Don’t know where you got that idea since I’ve never said that. Except for military retirement, I’m not paid by taxpayers. When I was in the military you could have looked up exactly what I made, including allowances and specialty pay. You you can even look up my retired pay. Knock yourself out. Our players are getting NIL pay because they play basketball for a public university. Transparency is necessary in those situations. It’s coming. Reportedly 20 states already require disclosure, not all of it public - yet.

No it’s not. Most faculty, coaches, and public officials aren’t in unions.

These players are getting paid NIL money to play basketball for public institutions (with private school exceptions, but they are also members of the NCAA), and there are strings, including transparency in compensation, that come with that.

Also, the compensation of the executives and BODs of publicly owned companies is disclosed by law (if you can buy stock in it, it’s publicly owned).
I saw a Twitter post that several coaches reported Ballo wanted $1.2 mil. Who knows if it’s true but the number does seem reasonable.

If NIL is contributed by a non-profit collective do they have any public disclosure requirements?

It seems to me that now closer to the Euro club system and incidental that team sponsors are universities.

Jontay Porter was not only betting against The Raptors but also the under on his own point total and claiming an injury so he played just a few minutes. If he needed a few thousand he should have asked his brother.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT