ADVERTISEMENT

Republican anti-vaxers are stalling US race to herd immunity

But it’s still new, not approved by the fda, and made by some companies with rough track records. I think with the benefit of time passing more people will grow comfortable with them. That said if I were 20 something and cognizant of the Covid survival rates altruism is the only reason I’d get it. The flip side is that less and less get follow up shots or bother keeping up with it annually
That is exactly what is so frustrating. If you're in your 20s. You probably aren't going to die from Covid, but you can transmit it to someone who has a good chance of dying very easily. Or pass it to someone else who does it.

Every drug company has been sued. This vaccine is more effective than the measles vaccine and SLIGHTLY less effective than the polio vaccine. The idea that this hasn't been tested is simply wrong, which the epidemiologist explains in the Last Week segment.

All people are doing by not getting vaccinated is pushing this thing further and further down the road. And then people will keep complaining about wearing masks. If people would just go get the stupid vaccine, this thing could be over very soon. Instead, we have misinformation.

That is exactly what is so frustrating. If you're in your 20s. You probably aren't going to die from Covid, but you can transmit it to someone who has a good chance of dying very easily. Or pass it to someone else who does it.

Every drug company has been sued. This vaccine is more effective than the measles vaccine and SLIGHTLY less effective than the polio vaccine. The idea that this hasn't been tested is simply wrong, which the epidemiologist explains in the Last Week segment.

All people are doing by not getting vaccinated is pushing this thing further and further down the road. And then people will keep complaining about wearing masks. If people would just go get the stupid vaccine, this thing could be over very soon. Instead, we have misinformation.
No one said it hasn’t been tested. It’s not fda approved. The drug companies have been sued, and lost for concealing important data. They lie in plain English. To make money.

Again in time people will feel more comfortable. But when you turn on the news and see these companies are hit with billion dollar judgments. B as in billion. Then read 15 million were contaminated. Then read it’s not FDA approved. On and on it creates reservations for some who were already anxious

Now tether all of the above to survival rates for most people and you see why reaching herd immunity will be hard. And this says nothing of young libs, organic soccer moms, tuskegee inculcated, or insane trump bleachers

I too want everyone vaccinated, but recognize it’s unrealistic. We have so much info at hand today that we can all find support to justify almost anything. Look at that crazy dr atlas trump rolled out. Guy was if not a chair a full prof at Stanford

Last edited:
No one said it hasn’t been tested. It’s not fda approved. The drug companies have been sued, and lost for concealing important data. They lie in plain English. To make money.

Again time people will feel more comfortable. But when you turn on the news and see these companies are hit with billion dollar judgments. B as in billion. Then read 15 million were contaminated. Then read it’s not FDA approved. On and on it creates reservations for some who were already anxious

Now tether all of the above to survival rates for most people and you see why reaching herd immunity will be hard. And this says nothing of young libs, organic soccer moms, tuskegee inculcated, or insane trump bleachers
Well, the best scientists in the world are telling us it's safe. And it's DEFINITELY safer than getting Covid. Again, zero people have died from the vaccines. 600,000 Americans have died of Covid. The idea that they just threw this stuff together is just plain wrong, as explained in detail by the CDC.

Well, the best scientists in the world are telling us it's safe. And it's DEFINITELY safer than getting Covid. Again, zero people have died from the vaccines. 600,000 Americans have died of Covid. The idea that they just threw this stuff together is just plain wrong, as explained in detail by the CDC.

And so have drugs that have gone through the entire fda approval process. This was emergency use. Listen I agree with you. People need to do it but you have a blind faith in doctors and scientists that belies hundreds of billions of dollars in judgments against them. From what? Negligence. It’s still putting foreign substances in your body - not everyone trusts private companies and bureaucracies and doctors implicitly like you. Mistakes happen. Contamination happens. All sorts of shit. People have autonomy over their body. I want everyone vaccinated but if someone doesn’t want it it’s their choice

People are worried about what's in the vaccine but could care less what they get at fast food restaurants.

"Ice machines are notoriously difficult to clean, making them veritable petri dishes. A 2010 study found that 48 percent of soda fountains at fast food restaurants contain coliform bacteria, commonly found in feces. Microbiologists from Hollins University don't know how it gets there, but they think it may come from dirty cleaning rags or unwashed customer hands."

And that is just for the soda. You know everything they put in your food too?

Here's an excerpt about french fries
The humble potato, fried in a vat of simmering oil, and finished with a sprinkling of salt. What could be simpler? Apparently, quite a lot. Fast-food fries often have more than 15 ingredients, including sugar and artificial coloring. They also have preservatives like sodium acid pyrophosphate and tert-butylhydroquinone, which in high doses has been linked to vision problems.

how does it make sense to be worried about what's in the vaccine, which has nothing new in it and has been tested, when those same people stuff food into their body without a second thought of what is in it? Are we really saying that the food industry is more trustworthy than our doctors? Or is this just because of politics getting in the way of common sense?

Last edited:
Reactions: largemouth
People are worried about what's in the vaccine but could care less what they get at fast food restaurants.

"Ice machines are notoriously difficult to clean, making them veritable petri dishes. A 2010 study found that 48 percent of soda fountains at fast food restaurants contain coliform bacteria, commonly found in feces. Microbiologists from Hollins University don't know how it gets there, but they think it may come from dirty cleaning rags or unwashed customer hands."

The humble potato, fried in a vat of simmering oil, and finished with a sprinkling of salt. What could be simpler? Apparently, quite a lot. Fast-food fries often have more than 15 ingredients, including sugar and artificial coloring. They also have preservatives like sodium acid pyrophosphate and tert-butylhydroquinone, which in high doses has been linked to vision problems.

So tell us again about all those worries about what's in the vaccine, which has nothing new in it and has been tested.
I agree but I also understand shit happens. The composition is only one part. It’s production, handling, storage, on and on. You do know 15 million j and j were contaminated right? It’s comforting that safety precautions identified the mistake but again a mistake happened.

Myth: The COVID-19 vaccine is not safe because it was rapidly developed and tested.​

Fact: Many pharmaceutical companies invested significant resources into quickly developing a vaccine for COVID-19 because of the world-wide impact of the pandemic. The emergency situation warranted an emergency response but that does not mean that companies bypassed safety protocols or didn't perform adequate testing.

Mayo Clinic will recommend the use of those vaccines that we are confident are safe. While there are many COVID-19 vaccine candidates in development, early interim data are encouraging for the Pfizer vaccine which likely is to be the first authorized for emergency use by the FDA in the late December/early January timeframe. This vaccine was created using a novel technology based on the molecular structure of the virus. The novel methodology to develop a COVID-19 vaccine allows it to be free from materials of animal origin and synthesized by an efficient, cell-free process without preservatives. This vaccine developed by Pfizer/BioNTech has been studied in approximately 43,000 people.

To receive emergency use authorization, the biopharmaceutical manufacturer must have followed at least half of the study participants for at least two months after completing the vaccination series, and the vaccine must be proven safe and effective in that population. In addition to the safety review by the FDA, the Advisory Committee on Immunization has convened a panel of vaccine safety experts to independently evaluate the safety data from the clinical trial. Mayo Clinic vaccine experts also will review the available data. The safety of COVID-19 vaccine will continue to be closely monitored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the FDA.

Myth: The COVID-19 vaccine is not safe because it was rapidly developed and tested.​

Fact: Many pharmaceutical companies invested significant resources into quickly developing a vaccine for COVID-19 because of the world-wide impact of the pandemic. The emergency situation warranted an emergency response but that does not mean that companies bypassed safety protocols or didn't perform adequate testing.

Mayo Clinic will recommend the use of those vaccines that we are confident are safe. While there are many COVID-19 vaccine candidates in development, early interim data are encouraging for the Pfizer vaccine which likely is to be the first authorized for emergency use by the FDA in the late December/early January timeframe. This vaccine was created using a novel technology based on the molecular structure of the virus. The novel methodology to develop a COVID-19 vaccine allows it to be free from materials of animal origin and synthesized by an efficient, cell-free process without preservatives. This vaccine developed by Pfizer/BioNTech has been studied in approximately 43,000 people.

To receive emergency use authorization, the biopharmaceutical manufacturer must have followed at least half of the study participants for at least two months after completing the vaccination series, and the vaccine must be proven safe and effective in that population. In addition to the safety review by the FDA, the Advisory Committee on Immunization has convened a panel of vaccine safety experts to independently evaluate the safety data from the clinical trial. Mayo Clinic vaccine experts also will review the available data. The safety of COVID-19 vaccine will continue to be closely monitored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the FDA.

In impt ways a vaccine is different than drugs, obviously - but the history of these companies calls into question their veracity. again, i'm all in for the vaccines. i trust they're fine. but many things can go wrong that often we don't learn about until many years later with these drug companies. if people have reservations i don't blame them. to me any reservations are overwhelmed by the need for us all to get vaccinated, but the point remains

And so have drugs that have gone through the entire fda approval process. This was emergency use. Listen I agree with you. People need to do it but you have a blind faith in doctors and scientists that belies hundreds of billions of dollars in judgments against them. From what? Negligence. It’s still putting foreign substances in your body - not everyone trusts private companies and bureaucracies and doctors implicitly like you. Mistakes happen. Contamination happens. All sorts of shit. People have autonomy over their body. I want everyone vaccinated but if someone doesn’t want it it’s their choice
I don't have a blind faith. I do know what Covid does to people. We have a lot of data on that. 600,000 dead Americans.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
I'd like to correct the record of my earlier comment, after reviewing recent polling.

It now does appear that it is mostly Republican morons who refuse to be vaccinated.

Some 43% of GOP voters indicate they will never take the vaccine (22% of independents, 5% of Dems say the same).

I'd like to correct the record of my earlier comment, after reviewing recent polling.

It now does appear that it is mostly Republican morons who refuse to be vaccinated.

Some 43% of GOP voters indicate they will never take the vaccine (22% of independents, 5% of Dems say the same).
yeah many of the crazy soccer moms could be republicans

All it took was Trump saying to take it and his sheep would’ve followed...but that was of course too much to ask.

I know of an old lady who’s now had both strains. This 2nd one put her in the hospital for 5 days. Says she “might” consider the vax now. Massive right wing religious nut. Need I say more...

how does it make sense to be worried about what's in the vaccine, which has nothing new in it and has been tested, when those same people stuff food into their body without a second thought of what is in it? Are we really saying that the food industry is more trustworthy than our doctors? Or is this just because of politics getting in the way of common sense?
Couldn’t care less. ;)

I don't have a blind faith. I do know what Covid does to people. We have a lot of data on that. 600,000 dead Americans.

Would rather have blind faith in the vaccine than blind faith that I won't become another number in the covid pandemic.

yeah many of the crazy soccer moms could be republicans
Normal anti vaxxers run a political gambit, including soccer mom's. Think people likely to buy into Jenny McCarthy or Gweneth Paltrow add in luddites and general distrust everything crowds.

COVID adds in single issue anti vaxxers, people who have other vaccines but not this one. That group tends to be Republican.

There are polls in my link that show approximately 50% male Trump voters who won’t take the vaccine. It’s almost twice as many as Dems.

Your workplace is probably highly educated. Those are the people who look at the numbers and get the vaccine. If someone is getting their “news” from Tucker Carlson, you’re probably not going to be vaccinated.
Refusal rates among African Americans has improved from 41% to 24% which is close to white Americans at 20% and Latino at 24%.

White collar Trumpers are getting vaccinated it is the blue collar variety that are sticking with "freedom".

Normal anti vaxxers run a political gambit, including soccer mom's. Think people likely to buy into Jenny McCarthy or Gweneth Paltrow add in luddites and general distrust everything crowds.

COVID adds in single issue anti vaxxers, people who have other vaccines but not this one. That group tends to be Republican.
yeah that makes sense

That's bullshit or a lie. I know 6 people with long covid. If you want to meet one and get punched in the face for that remark just ask.
Are they at the Cecil Hotel? Believe me I’m sure they’re far more frightened of your creepy ass than Covid.

Last edited:
That's bullshit or a lie. I know 6 people with long covid. If you want to meet one and get punched in the face for that remark just ask.

But faux news told him that is the case. They wouldn't lie.

Do you hunt or fish for your own food?
Do your fruits and vegetables come out of your own garden?

I think his stats are pretty close, maybe more like 96%, give or take. It’s just personal experience, but I work with or know at least 30 people that have had COVID. The two worst cases lost taste and smell and said it was like a bad cold. The rest had very minimal symptoms. None of those I work with even missed a day because they could telework.

lmao grover. go to the cdc website and look up hospitalization rates, particularly by age

Ok grover, the link you posted and then removed said 3% for 18-49 (goes higher for older age ranges). That's just hospitalization. Some people have had long term complications from covid that didn't necessarily require hospitalization but would be far worse than just getting a cold. So that would make the percentages even worse for your argument.

So yea, nice try. even your link didn't back up your 1%.

Ok grover, the link you posted and then removed said 3% for 18-49. That's just hospitalization. Some people have had long term complications from covid that didn't necessarily require hospitalization but would be far worse than just getting a cold.

I removed it because it was old. 2020. Again go to the cdc website and you can find your data. if you back out those with pre-existing conditions the percentage is even less. for people under 50 in good health i guaranteed hospitalization rate is less than 1 percent

Ok grover, the link you posted and then removed said 3% for 18-49 (goes higher for older age ranges). That's just hospitalization. Some people have had long term complications from covid that didn't necessarily require hospitalization but would be far worse than just getting a cold. So that would make the percentages even worse for your argument.

significantly less than 1 percent

Working here.
I thought you were scared of fast food and ice machines

No, I said people who won't get the vaccine for fear of what's in it but then turn around and eat fast food and get fountain drinks are hard to understand. Won't trust the medical profession with a vaccine but trust the food industry with their food.

I removed it because it was old. 2020. Again go to the cdc website and you can find your data. if you back out those with pre-existing conditions the percentage is even less. for people under 50 in good health i guaranteed hospitalization rate is less than 1 percent

Unless the 2021 data is separated between vaccinated and unvaccinated, the data should skew downward with vaccinated people being even less likely to have much in the way of symptoms.

As vaccination numbers slide, experts are now beginning to believe COVID will be with us for years to come. What is it with the Mason-Dixon Line and stupidity? I know that's rude, but look at the states where more people are vaccinated. California has turned their entire situation around. Minnesota is amazing. Of course, Illinois would look just like Indiana if we didn't have Chicago. Look at Ohio. What is wrong with those people?

So now we're going to hear these people whine about the virus because they're either too uninformed or they want to own the libs or whatever their stupid reasoning is...so the same people who gave us Donald Trump are going to give us COVID for another decade. It's astonishing and dispiriting.

map-1050.png
hh

But what about people's freedom to spread covid as they please?

As Bill Nye said yesterday:

“This idea that everybody has the freedom to do anything is—we all know that's not exactly right. You can't yell ‘fire’ in a crowded theater if there's no fire and so on. You can't drive on both sides of the road even though you pay taxes on both sides of the road.”

These idiots have just decided what "freedom" is.

And as Nye says: “Everybody on the other side, it's not fair to make me wear a mask. it's not fair to make me get vaccinated,” he said. “Well, it's not fair to everybody else if you become an incubator for a new Covid variant."

At some point, this should become a legislative and national defense issue. The government needs to "provide for the common defense" and "promote the general welfare" of the country. Not let the lunatics run the asylum.

As Bill Nye said yesterday:

“This idea that everybody has the freedom to do anything is—we all know that's not exactly right. You can't yell ‘fire’ in a crowded theater if there's no fire and so on. You can't drive on both sides of the road even though you pay taxes on both sides of the road.”

These idiots have just decided what "freedom" is.

And as Nye says: “Everybody on the other side, it's not fair to make me wear a mask. it's not fair to make me get vaccinated,” he said. “Well, it's not fair to everybody else if you become an incubator for a new Covid variant."

At some point, this should become a legislative and national defense issue. The government needs to "provide for the common defense" and "promote the general welfare" of the country. Not let the lunatics run the asylum.
Health matters are largely state concerns. Constitution, commerce, federalism blah blah blah

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT