ADVERTISEMENT

Reneau- terrific game

Certainly worth a positive thread here.
Malik had a career high 34 points and 11 rebounds last night in a 100 point effort by the Hoosiers.

He was the offensive leader he needed to be and ended up with some eye popping numbers, particularly for just a sophomore.
Agree. Reneau has come a long way since the start of last year. Reneau’s footwork is amazing. His defense and passing are still a work in progress but he is one hell of an offensive PF.

Galloway since the Kansas game has been fantastic too. MM is looking better and better. Woodson really seems to have a handle on how to coach these guys up.

Agree. Reneau has come a long way since the start of last year. Reneau’s footwork is amazing. His defense and passing are still a work in progress but he is one hell of an offensive PF.

Galloway since the Kansas game has been fantastic too. MM is looking better and better. Woodson really seems to have a handle on how to coach these guys up.
His defense has come further than his offense in some ways. He had no fouls last week and he also guarded the perimeter yesterday. He switched instead of Sparks when sparks was getting torched. It happened when leal came in the game and it started that big run. He always had great footwork too. He just keeps getting better.

Putting the scoring output in perspective, TJD and Juwan Morgan had a combined 3 games scoring more than 34, Marco Killingsworth had 34 in the memorable Duke game, and Reneau now has a higher career high than Zeller, Thomas Bryant, Noah Vonleh, DJ White, James Blackmon, Yogi.... to name a few.

Certainly worth a positive thread here.
Malik had a career high 34 points and 11 rebounds last night in a 100 point effort by the Hoosiers.

He was the offensive leader he needed to be and ended up with some eye popping numbers, particularly for just a sophomore.
Yeah, I'm thinking there's no doubt we're going to lose Reneau to the NBA ASAP.

His defense, rebounding, ballhandling, footwork are all fantastic. He could get better on foulshooting though. Often, he is the one inbounding the ball or dribbling it all the way to our end. Not many weaknesses.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
In the longer run, it's better to have players that are good, but not so good that they leave the program just as it appears great things might happen if they stay. (See example below) Think of all the championships of one form or another lost because good player didn't hang around for one more year. It's depressing for loyal fans, the lack of continuity. This younger generation of fans won't be able to appreciate the difference, the current NIL bargaining/portal transfers being all that they've ever known.

Example: Edey, especially if he comes back for his Covid year. Anything short of a national championship and I think he returns because of unfinished business.

In the longer run, it's better to have players that are good, but not so good that they leave the program just as it appears great things might happen if they stay. (See example below) Think of all the championships of one form or another lost because good player didn't hang around for one more year. It's depressing for loyal fans, the lack of continuity. This younger generation of fans won't be able to appreciate the difference, the current NIL bargaining/portal transfers being all that they've ever known.

Example: Edey, especially if he comes back for his Covid year. Anything short of a national championship and I think he returns because of unfinished business.
I'd be surprised if that happened, but anything is possible I suppose.

The Villanova model. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Jay Wright stepped down when he did just as NIL was being implemented.

Last edited:
Reneau has become a beast around the basket. Uses almost a bulldog attitude to find a crease to get the ball to the rim. That's actually pretty amazing, because he certainly isn't going to jump over anybody like TJD did. And as good as his footwork has become, I still get a little anxious watching him. Double and Triple teams are coming and he simply must become a better passer. With his much improved 3 point shooting, his passing seems like the final piece of his puzzle.

He is only a set shooter on the perimeter.
He really needs to develop his passing game. TJD did and dramatically increased his value.
So he should stay and work on that next year. (wishful thinking?)

His defense, rebounding, ballhandling, footwork are all fantastic. He could get better on foulshooting though. Often, he is the one inbounding the ball or dribbling it all the way to our end. Not many weaknesses.
I don't know. Reneau is developing into a really good college post player, but what about his game translates to the NBA? He's a lot like TJD after his soph and junior year; imo. Very good college player, but nothing that translates to fantastic at the pro level. Shoots a little better than TJD ever showed in college, but not the rebounder or shot blocker TJD was. Don't think he'll have a very high grade in the NBA, and at best right now a mid to late 2nd round pick.

Had a career night with ware out and against a team that pushes the action both ingredients for success

Two things. Sample size is small on his development. If he can guard out on the perimeter like he did Friday will help his stock. Two..his passing. He gets those in check and plays consistently like he has lately he will start getting looks.

Reactions: BusdriverE
Reneau has become a beast around the basket. Uses almost a bulldog attitude to find a crease to get the ball to the rim. That's actually pretty amazing, because he certainly isn't going to jump over anybody like TJD did. And as good as his footwork has become, I still get a little anxious watching him. Double and Triple teams are coming and he simply must become a better passer. With his much improved 3 point shooting, his passing seems like the final piece of his puzzle.
It's good to have a guy who is a target for defenses because it opens up the scoring for some of our other talented players.
Making gains on 3s, just need to improve the defense. May help to have X on ball whenever he gets up to speed.

It's good to have a guy who is a target for defenses because it opens up the scoring for some of our other talented players.
Making gains on 3s, just need to improve the defense. May help to have X on ball whenever he gets up to speed.
I agree, but only if he can hit an open shooter.

He is only a set shooter on the perimeter.
He really needs to develop his passing game. TJD did and dramatically increased his value.
So he should stay and work on that next year. (wishful thinking?)
He doesn't need to be more than a set shooter. I'll be surprised if Reneau is around next year.

I don't know. Reneau is developing into a really good college post player, but what about his game translates to the NBA? He's a lot like TJD after his soph and junior year; imo. Very good college player, but nothing that translates to fantastic at the pro level. Shoots a little better than TJD ever showed in college, but not the rebounder or shot blocker TJD was. Don't think he'll have a very high grade in the NBA, and at best right now a mid to late 2nd round pick.
I couldn't disagree more. He'll be a valuable power forward in the league. One that can score inside and out.

He doesn't need to be more than a set shooter. I'll be surprised if Reneau is around next year.
If Reneau and Ware are able to go pro after this season then Indiana will have no chance at a 25 win season under Woodson, let alone a league championship.
Personally, I don't think IU has anyone good enough to go pro yet, but I guess we will see.

With 34 pts on top of 25 points in back to back games MR may play his way to a 1st round draft rating.
On top of his recent point production, Reneau is genetically blessed to have the NBA "look" facially. He commands a presence from afar. His reputation has found a way to precede him. The smoothness of his gait, the hardness cloaked in stature, the crowning glory in corn-rows atop the bulbous lips...Malik Reneau is not like me or you. Let me say today, he's an NBA ready dude now, if no one ever comes to ask of me until later. It's what I see, seen (as in saw) and will be seeing (having sawed the see, subsequently seen).

"Hello, Derik? This is Malik...Malik Reneau, who you once knew. Come wear the candy stripes with me, next season. Let's go make some NOISE!" I'm having too much fun making too much money with too much left undone. Come play with me where I am king and you, Sir, my Queen!"

If Reneau and Ware are able to go pro after this season then Indiana will have no chance at a 25 win season under Woodson, let alone a league championship.
Personally, I don't think IU has anyone good enough to go pro yet, but I guess we will see.
Ware is gone. I’d bet my house he’s top 20. He has everything they want.

I thought this was the last year of Covid extra year stuff. Geez are we gonna have 29 year old Iowa guys again?

his value would be significantly impacted if he could shoot on the move.
but my real point was that I want him returning for another year. we shall see.
He's a power forward. He won't need to shoot on the move. I hope he's around as well, just don't think it's very likely.

Reactions: steelyvan
He's a power forward. He won't need to shoot on the move. I hope he's around as well, just don't think it's very likely.
Lofton Jr. might be a good comp from recent drafts. Big body, lefty, good finisher, can shoot the ball, a little slow laterally, not an explosive leaper... If Reneau leaves though, it'll be more because he's just ready to leave Bloomington, than anything the NBA will provide him...in my opinion.

He'd be a 2nd rounder, at best...more likely undrafted. And the money he'd make, initially, would be less than what he could make in college even if he did make a team somehow.

In order of likelihood, knowing nothing about how much he enjoys Woody's program, and Bloomington...

1. Stays at IU
2. Transfers to another high paying NIL P5 school
3. Goes Pro

Lofton Jr. might be a good comp from recent drafts. Big body, lefty, good finisher, can shoot the ball, a little slow laterally, not an explosive leaper... If Reneau leaves though, it'll be more because he's just ready to leave Bloomington, than anything the NBA will provide him...in my opinion.

He'd be a 2nd rounder, at best...more likely undrafted. And the money he'd make, initially, would be less than what he could make in college even if he did make a team somehow.

In order of likelihood, knowing nothing about how much he enjoys Woody's program, and Bloomington...

1. Stays at IU
2. Transfers to another high paying NIL P5 school
3. Goes Pro
No chance he transfers. That makes absolutely no sense. He'll work his way to a late 1st early 2nd rounder and go, imo. There won't be many more polished scorers than Reneau.

No chance he transfers. That makes absolutely no sense. He'll work his way to a late 1st early 2nd rounder and go, imo. There won't be many more polished scorers than Reneau.
Hope so. If he works his way to being a consideration for first round, that likely means he dramatically improved his defense, passing, and rebounding. Which obviously would bode well for our team's success.

I don't see him putting himself in that position this year, however.

As for the transferring part. You never know. All it would take would be IF he's at all unhappy, or even apathetic towards IU...and some other school sweet talking him and offering him a big NIL package.

I think Malik back at IU next year is by far the most likely scenario.

Hope so. If he works his way to being a consideration for first round, that likely means he dramatically improved his defense, passing, and rebounding. Which obviously would bode well for our team's success.

I don't see him putting himself in that position this year, however.

As for the transferring part. You never know. All it would take would be IF he's at all unhappy, or even apathetic towards IU...and some other school sweet talking him and offering him a big NIL package.

I think Malik back at IU next year is by far the most likely scenario.
Isn’t 24 a weak draft class though? I’m actually asking as that’s relevant.

Ware is gone. I’d bet my house he’s top 20. He has everything they want.
In updated projections, Givony (the only one worth listening to) has him as the 22nd best prospect, Edey has risen to 14th (huge surprise) and Malik still isn't in the top 100.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I couldn't disagree more. He'll be a valuable power forward in the league. One that can score inside and out.
compare and contrast him to TJD; what NBA attributes does he have that's better than Trayce, and what was he, the 2nd to the last 2nd round pick? Not as athletic, not as good a rebounder or shot blocker. Outside shot is it and he's not a good or prolific shooter by NBA standards. Right now, he's just average by NBA standards. And, I'm not putting him down, just as Edey and TJD have shown, you can be a heckuva college player and not be that attractive to the pros.

I think he'll eventually play in the pros, but I think it will take another year for him to improve his draft value.

Reactions: T.M.P.
IU fans are funny, now Reneau is a 1st round pick. which according to most on here gives us 3. yet those same people would be happy as hell if we sneak into the tournament.
He'll probably make it next year ... maybe? Either late first or early 2nd IF he improves his game. Mgbako fell off the charts entirely, he was slated mid first early in the year. Hopefully he'll be back.

IU currently has one NBA pick on roster.

Last edited:
compare and contrast him to TJD; what NBA attributes does he have that's better than Trayce, and what was he, the 2nd to the last 2nd round pick? Not as athletic, not as good a rebounder or shot blocker. Outside shot is it and he's not a good or prolific shooter by NBA standards. Right now, he's just average by NBA standards. And, I'm not putting him down, just as Edey and TJD have shown, you can be a heckuva college player and not be that attractive to the pros.

I think he'll eventually play in the pros, but I think it will take another year for him to improve his draft value.
Much like TJD early on he doesn't have an NBA position currently. fwiw - early last year JHS wasn't on the top 100 either, he had fallen from the mid 2nd ... it wasn't until Jan he started moving up ..

Edey is currently slated as lottery ..

He's a better scorer in the post and a better shooter from outside. Those are 2 big things.

IU fans are funny, now Reneau is a 1st round pick. which according to most on here gives us 3. yet those same people would be happy as hell if we sneak into the tournament.
Not very deep thinking there. He doesn't have to be a 1st round pick now to be a late 1st round pick at the end of the year. Some are projecting continued improvement throughout the year. Reneau can score though. And he'll be able to score in the NBA. There's value in that.

And that's not true. Most that believe we have potential 1st rounders, believe IU IS a tourney team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT