ADVERTISEMENT

Reneau- terrific game

He's a better scorer in the post and a better shooter from outside. Those are 2 big things.
I gave you a better shooter, but that is vs someone who never took an outside shot. On the outside shooting scale, TJD was basically a 0, maybe a 1, I'd say Malik is like a 5-6 on a 10 pt scale. He's better at that, but still in the NBA world, not anything special. Better scorer in the post? For real?

I gave you a better shooter, but that is vs someone who never took an outside shot. On the outside shooting scale, TJD was basically a 0, maybe a 1, I'd say Malik is like a 5-6 on a 10 pt scale. He's better at that, but still in the NBA world, not anything special. Better scorer in the post? For real?
By never taking an outside shot TJD cemented to scouts that he had no potential for range. MR has shown that he has some range, so the potential is there for increased production through volume.

TJD has him on explosiveness (TJDS spin move was elite), overall quickness, D, rebounding. He also really progressed passing out of the post, something that MR has time to get better at.

Offensively MR came in raw, but he seemed to have an arsenal of offensive moves, and decent footwork (on O).

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
By never taking an outside shot TJD cemented to scouts that he had no potential for range. MR has shown that he has some range, so the potential is there for increased production through volume.

TJD has him on explosiveness (TJDS spin move was elite), overall quickness, D, rebounding. He also really progressed passing out of the post, something that MR has time to get better at.

Offensively MR came in raw, but he seemed to have an arsenal of offensive moves, and decent footwork (on O).
Reanu's shooting is OK, but it's not something NBA teams will get excited about. He gets open shots at this level because teams give that to him because he's a very good post scorer. Now that he's making them, they'll start to defend it more, and he won't get those open looks in the NBA where they are used to post guys who can shoot. His NBA future is basically the same as TJD's except he's not the rebounder or defender TJD is, nor as smart in bball terms, so he has limited NBA appeal. I think he has less NBA appeal than TJD, and he was the 2nd to last pick, which means Reanu isn't attractive to NBA teams at the moment. If he worked on the rebounding, defending and passing like TJD did, then he would have some appeal because he can also hit open looks. But, that's a lot to work on and isn't happening this year. If he tried to go this year, he'd either have to play his way up as a free agent or maybe find a team that agrees they'll take a chance on him with a late 2nd round pick.

Reanu's shooting is OK, but it's not something NBA teams will get excited about. He gets open shots at this level because teams give that to him because he's a very good post scorer. Now that he's making them, they'll start to defend it more, and he won't get those open looks in the NBA where they are used to post guys who can shoot. His NBA future is basically the same as TJD's except he's not the rebounder or defender TJD is, nor as smart in bball terms, so he has limited NBA appeal. I think he has less NBA appeal than TJD, and he was the 2nd to last pick, which means Reanu isn't attractive to NBA teams at the moment. If he worked on the rebounding, defending and passing like TJD did, then he would have some appeal because he can also hit open looks. But, that's a lot to work on and isn't happening this year. If he tried to go this year, he'd either have to play his way up as a free agent or maybe find a team that agrees they'll take a chance on him with a late 2nd round pick.
I’m not disagreeing with any of that, but….

I’m hestitant to compare a soph to TJD when he was drafted. TJD was 1st team AA? So, he was clearly better. But MR is young, will get better, and much more with him is based on potential.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
MRs bball IQ level isn’t very good! Too much laziness and turnover prone. I for one dont even think he will sniff an NBA roster. May get an invite to Dleague, but be will probably at best play overseas once he’s done at IU.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
What I love about Malik's game right now on the college level is he has a go to move. That hook shot is hard to block. Watching him got me to think about Dwight Howard. He was a freak of an athlete. But with all those years in the NBA what is his go to move? I don't think he had one.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Another big game for Reneau. 26pts, 14 rebounds and a block. Good work tonight. Glad to see him show leadership along with Gallo and Leal tonight.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT