ADVERTISEMENT

Reneau is coming back ….

Uh huh.

Remember —- Woodson broke out the knee pads and the check book to keep TJD around for a couple more wins a year ago or so.
Said so openly.
It was his “number one priority” to buy that kid back.

Not to look at the future. To buy today.

So are we surprised that this foul machine with the moment to moment incredulous countenance is returning to this dumpster?

No.

How’s this strategy workin out?

Stay tuned.

Woodson got 6 million. He is blowing it fast. It would take 3 million plus to keep ware. First word out or MR's mouth about his return was NIL so I am guessing woodson payed a pretty penny to keep him.
He wants them to get the word out. Malik is doing his job. He’s buying a team.

If it is true that Leal had his NIL tripled, MR must be making close to 7 figures.
I would think at least a million and galloway 500k at least. So MM will want north of a million easily to stay. Woodson is not in a position of strengh he is desperate to keep players so they can get massive raises out of IU imo. But its not woodsons money so what does he care.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Guess it's a start..But gosh he clogs the paint a bunch ..And is slow to pass.
But down low he is solid...Still needs a better 17 ft jumper...

So much for my worries/theory on him looking elsewhere to improve his draft stock...ha ha.

Its great news. He's flawed...but he'll be 18 and 8 flawed, which is something any coach should be able to work with.
is he 18 and 8 flawed on what looks like a good basketball team, not sure those stats travel well on a real team

No and no. Word is he was ready to decommit back in December already but wanted to wait and see what would happen with Woodson. That ship has sailed.
He just signed in November after taking a long time to decide. Why would he be ready to decommit just a few weeks later?

Reactions: nichlee
I would think at least a million and galloway 500k at least. So MM will want north of a million easily to stay. Woodson is not in a position of strengh he is desperate to keep players so they can get massive raises out of IU imo. But its not woodsons money so what does he care.
Woody has quite the setup. Big NIL to get players, he got a raise so he is comped around 10th in the country, and he’s got a lot of friends looking out for him.

• Sad
Reactions: Bucket Getter
It sounds like leal got three times as much this year so I am guessing MR would have to at least get double to come back. Just what I am assuming.
Wasn’t some of that NIL money given to Leal for advertising? In that case, Woodson wouldn’t be involved in how much Leal got.

Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
CMW better be getting many bigs in the portal, cuz I dont want MR starting next year! He is only good for 4-5 dumb touch fouls a game and 3-4 turnovers/game! His IQ is close to Troy Williams level! I thought it would be best for him to get a fresh start somewhere else! His only worth is 2-3ft from the basket on offense! I dont want this offense running through him at all next year! Sry, but im probly the biggest hater of MRs game on here! Not saying he’s a bad kid, but he is not a good bball player! Oh well, if he sucks like he did this year, he and CMW can hit the same train outa town!

Reactions: Bucket Getter
CMW better be getting many bigs in the portal, cuz I dont want MR starting next year! He is only good for 4-5 dumb touch fouls a game and 3-4 turnovers/game! His IQ is close to Troy Williams level! I thought it would be best for him to get a fresh start somewhere else! His only worth is 2-3ft from the basket on offense! I dont want this offense running through him at all next year! Sry, but im probly the biggest hater of MRs game on here! Not saying he’s a bad kid, but he is not a good bball player! Oh well, if he sucks like he did this year, he and CMW can hit the same train outa town!
I know it’s dangerous to pass any sort of judgment by watching body language, but it sure looked like MR blamed his teammates even more than Woody. Every single foul he acted like someone else did something that caused it. I’m not a fan. Did he improve from his first year? Sure. But damn, that can’t be the do all, end all. Can it?

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
A lot of, IMO, slander going on here about Coach Woodson buying players. Unsubstaniated, unless some poster wants to offer the info, in which case I'll continue to call it BS.

Ever hear of the NIL?
Or as it should be called - Salary!

I just don't know how open the staff can be since it really isn't the university that controls the money.

It sounds like leal got three times as much this year so I am guessing MR would have to at least get double to come back. Just what I am assuming.
Okay thanks. It will be interesting to see how everything ends up and understand all the emotions. Glad to be going to the women's game on Sunday.

So will MR instruct everyone on the proper deployment of the "jazz hands" defense? I guess it is possible he may learn to play defense without fouling but I will wait for him to show me before I get very excitied about his return.

Liam left IU for more money. For basketball he is what IU needs. He would get a ton of shots.
How do you know he left for more money? We're a bad team with a coach with a ton of question marks, who didn't make the tournament, and purportedly didn't keep in touch with his top and only recruit for months after he committed. If you thought you might be only playing a year or 2 of college ball, wouldn't you want it to be at a school with a great shot at making the tournament and possibly getting to a F4 or NC? What if year 1 might be a struggle and year 2 might be dealing with a new coach and a rebuild? Especially if you could get similar $$? If anything, as our only recruit and with our NIL warchest, it's likely any other team would have a hard time matching IU's best offer for LM. Hate it and would've loved it if he'd stayed, but I don't blame the kid a bit.

You wonder why people give you a hard time, and this is why. Saying sh*t about a kid that you don't know is gossip. Not a good look for a pastor.

How do you know he left for more money? We're a bad team with a coach with a ton of question marks, who didn't make the tournament, and purportedly didn't keep in touch with his top and only recruit for months after he committed. If you thought you might be only playing a year or 2 of college ball, wouldn't you want it to be at a school with a great shot at making the tournament and possibly getting to a F4 or NC? What if year 1 might be a struggle and year 2 might be dealing with a new coach and a rebuild? Especially if you could get similar $$? If anything, as our only recruit and with our NIL warchest, it's likely any other team would have a hard time matching IU's best offer for LM. Hate it and would've loved it if he'd stayed, but I don't blame the kid a bit.

You wonder why people give you a hard time, and this is why. Saying sh*t about a kid that you don't know is gossip. Not a good look for a pastor.
You got a point. I had heard he was heading to Kansas. So I assume, possibly falsely, that they had more NIL money.

There was the interview and when he was asked about Woodson’s offense someone starts snickering.

Reactions: BigMobe and kkott
You got a point. I had heard he was heading to Kansas. So I assume, possibly falsely, that they had more NIL money.
They probably do have more, but we're at least in their ballpark (remember, we got MM from KU), but they also have a lot more horses to feed. If we're both sitting at 5million, they're dividing theirs between 5-6 top players. We might be dividing by 3-4. I don't think they'd be able to offer significantly more $$ than us, and my guess is, we could offer more unless they got a particular donor who really wanted LM there badly. But, the point is, you don't know so don't say it was for money. I appreciate that you recognized that and owned it.

If I were LM or his parents, there are tons of concerns regarding IU that have nothing to do with $$. In fact, my guess is that we could be on the higher end of programs that could pay him.
This entire conversation makes me wanna throw up. What a f-ed up world we’ve created.

If I were LM or his parents, there are tons of concerns regarding IU that have nothing to do with $$. In fact, my guess is that we could be on the higher end of programs that could pay him.
Really these NIL deals are life changing for many but still peanuts compared to the NPV of a rookie contract. First have to maximize the likelihood of being drafted and then NIL.

IUs offense this year scared McNeeley away, that should be a fairly obvious assumption.

Its also why Knecht, Timberlake, Harper, Fland, etc... didn't end up choosing IU. There are other ancillary reasons at play too, I'm sure. Woody's lack of urgency and attention, maybe, or an overall B10 style of play image issue, possibly. But in the end, these higher level kids are gonna get big money packages at any of their schools. They're going to get playing time wherever they go. They all have aspirations to get that big NBA first round draft pick contract, though. Its enormous, life changing money, way bigger than any NIL package they'll be offered. And its been all of their primary dream since they started seriously playing basketball.

They're all going to analyze game film. They're all going to dig in to it all, and see how they'd fit. And the primary driver for their decision is whether or not their time playing for that program is going to put them in a better position to achieve their NBA dreams.

I agree. I understand how important the NIL money is, especially to families that do not have much, but I think Woodson/our disarray/Woodson’s press comments are a negative to recruits.
You would have to survey a few hundred recruits or ask current players.
It would be interesting to hear this past year players talk about it - in 20 years.

Reactions: papawboog
NIL shouldn’t have significant impact on top recruits with high likelihood of being drafted.
RIght. What kid is going to worry about making a million dollars today, vs a couple hundred thousand at another school when they might make millions in a few years. Wait, what? Almost all of them will!

If you're hungry, you don't care about the cheeseburger (sorry, if you're younger than 50, you may not get the Popeye reference!) that might or might not be repayed next week, you want the damn sandwich now, regardless of what meals you're eating next week! Do you know many people that aren't hungry for several hundred thousand dollars? Hint: you do and it's most of them!

RIght. What kid is going to worry about making a million dollars today, vs a couple hundred thousand at another school when they might make millions in a few years. Wait, what? Almost all of them will!

If you're hungry, you don't care about the cheeseburger (sorry, if you're younger than 50, you may not get the Popeye reference!) that might or might not be repayed next week, you want the damn sandwich now, regardless of what meals you're eating next week! Do you know many people that aren't hungry for several hundred thousand dollars? Hint: you do and it's most of them!
I dont agree that a top recruit with high likelihood of being drafted will not have multiple offers of about the same NIL. None of them will be trying to steal from Popeye’s. $500k here, $700k there no big deal if here looks to maximize your daft prospects and there is feeding MR down low.

Last edited:
IUs offense this year scared McNeeley away, that should be a fairly obvious assumption.

Its also why Knecht, Timberlake, Harper, Fland, etc... didn't end up choosing IU. There are other ancillary reasons at play too, I'm sure. Woody's lack of urgency and attention, maybe, or an overall B10 style of play image issue, possibly. But in the end, these higher level kids are gonna get big money packages at any of their schools. They're going to get playing time wherever they go. They all have aspirations to get that big NBA first round draft pick contract, though. Its enormous, life changing money, way bigger than any NIL package they'll be offered. And its been all of their primary dream since they started seriously playing basketball.

They're all going to analyze game film. They're all going to dig in to it all, and see how they'd fit. And the primary driver for their decision is whether or not their time playing for that program is going to put them in a better position to achieve their NBA dreams.
Not saying you’re wrong, but wouldn‘t McNeeley have studied IU’s offensive and defensive schemes before he committed? In other words, isn’t it unlikely that he did so only after committing?

There are so many sources of money available to top players now that CMW will need a whole lot more than say $6 mil to buy success (say even sweet sixteen performance).

Your premise and point makes sense...and I guess we'll see how strong the NIL money variances play a role...here very soon.

I hope you're right. But I don't think, for the top guys...the guys that have legit NBA chances, and/or are legit P5 difference making prospects... I don't think the a couple hundred grand difference, when you're talking about mid 6 figures plus...will end up being the deciding factor for most of them. There's likely a diminishing impact on a "couple hundred grand" difference, the larger the floor level offers are. I would guess we'll be fishing for guys in the 4-500K plus ponds. I very strongly doubt if that level of player gets a roughly 500K NIL package from a school that plays a favorable style, and has great prospects of winning, etc... that they'd choose a school that has a package of 700K ish, that is a bad overall fit with questions on how good the team will be. 100K to 300K...different story maybe.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Not saying you’re wrong, but wouldn‘t McNeeley have studied IU’s offensive and defensive schemes before he committed? In other words, isn’t it unlikely that he did so only after committing?
I would bet a hundo that a lot of the discussions with McNeeley during his recruitment were focused on JHS's successes, and how they offense would change dramatically when TJD leaves, etc...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT