ADVERTISEMENT

Remainder of the season---predictions

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
I'm a realist/borderline pessimist compared to most of you....but looking at the schedule, I think we have a realistic shot at going something like 12-8 in the conference.....

Contingencies/assumptions would be no new major injuries, continued up & down play by Rob (but no worse), and Race being ok.

Here's how I see it:

at PSU---Win
at OSU--Toss up
v. Purdue--Win
v. Iowa--Toss up
at Michigan--Win
at Minn--Loss
v. PSU--Win
at Purdue--Loss
at Illinois--Loss
v. MINN--Win
v. Wisconsin--Win

Some comments--

I've seen a few PSU games recently, and I think they have plateaued as a team......just not a very tough or tough-mined team, imo.

A week ago I would have had Wis as a TU, esp. with the addition of the Potter kid.......the Kobe King issue and blowing that game at Iowa doesn't look like old-school Wisconsin

Looking at probable wins & losses gets us to 11-7, with the TUs of Iowa at home and at OSU.

Thoughts??

I'm a realist/borderline pessimist compared to most of you....but looking at the schedule, I think we have a realistic shot at going something like 12-8 in the conference.....

Contingencies/assumptions would be no new major injuries, continued up & down play by Rob (but no worse), and Race being ok.

Here's how I see it:

at PSU---Win
at OSU--Toss up
v. Purdue--Win
v. Iowa--Toss up
at Michigan--Win
at Minn--Loss
v. PSU--Win
at Purdue--Loss
at Illinois--Loss
v. MINN--Win
v. Wisconsin--Win

Some comments--

I've seen a few PSU games recently, and I think they have plateaued as a team......just not a very tough or tough-mined team, imo.

A week ago I would have had Wis as a TU, esp. with the addition of the Potter kid.......the Kobe King issue and blowing that game at Iowa doesn't look like old-school Wisconsin

Looking at probable wins & losses gets us to 11-7, with the TUs of Iowa at home and at OSU.

Thoughts??

As someone who claims to be a pessimist, you're pretty optimistic and that's coming from an optimist myself. Here's how I'd lean.

at PSU---Toss up---leaning loss
at OSU--Toss up---leaning loss
v. Purdue--Win
v. Iowa--win
at Michigan--toss up---leaning win
at Minn--Loss
v. PSU--Win
at Purdue--toss up---leaning loss
at Illinois--Loss
v. MINN--Win
v. Wisconsin--Win

I think it's likely we go 10-10 in conference and if we can steal a road win 11-9.

Iowa isn't the same team on the road and they have shown to be human these last couple weeks even at home and I think that's another signature win we get in Bloomington. Took an epic meltdown by the Badgers to beat a shorthanded Wisconsin team Monday, battled with Rutgers, and again struggled to beat a shorthanded Michigan team.

Here's how I see it:

at PSU---Win
at OSU--Toss up
v. Purdue--Win
v. Iowa--Toss up
at Michigan--Win
at Minn--Loss
v. PSU--Win
at Purdue--Loss
at Illinois--Loss
v. MINN--Win
v. Wisconsin--Win

Some comments--

Thoughts??
at PSU - loss
at OSU - loss(don't think we sweep them)
v Purdue - win
v Iowa - win(maybe, but at home)
at Michigan - win
at Minn - loss
v PSU - win(they don't sweep us)
at Purdue - win
at Illinois - loss(ugly one at that)
v Minn - win
v Wisc - win

Not that I've put it in print, everyone one of these will be wrong.

Here's how I see it:

at PSU---Win
at OSU--Toss up
v. Purdue--Win
v. Iowa--Toss up
at Michigan--Win
at Minn--Loss
v. PSU--Win
at Purdue--Loss
at Illinois--Loss
v. MINN--Win
v. Wisconsin--Win

Some comments--

Thoughts??
Predictions are difficult because I am expecting some teams will fall off as the season winds down. We've seen suspensions and have seen OSU and UM fall off UM. Can they get it back together or are they having internal issues that will be hard to overcome? Were they over rated and not as strong in the tough conference part of their schedules?

On the positive side, We have played 2 good games against good opponents. The team that can take their game on the road will cruise into the NCAA with an improved seeding. I wouldn't call tonight's game a must win, but it will help separate us from OSU, UM, and purdue. We need to lock them into the bottom 7 and keep our record in the top half.

It is hard for teams to go an entire season without a slump or other teams take away what they do well. I expect this to be more difficult for teams not used to winning. I predict Rutgers and PSU to slip.

Predictions are difficult because I am expecting some teams will fall off as the season winds down. We've seen suspensions and have seen OSU and UM fall off UM. Can they get it back together or are they having internal issues that will be hard to overcome? Were they over rated and not as strong in the tough conference part of their schedules?

On the positive side, We have played 2 good games against good opponents. The team that can take their game on the road will cruise into the NCAA with an improved seeding. I wouldn't call tonight's game a must win, but it will help separate us from OSU, UM, and purdue. We need to lock them into the bottom 7 and keep our record in the top half.

It is hard for teams to go an entire season without a slump or other teams take away what they do well. I expect this to be more difficult for teams not used to winning. I predict Rutgers and PSU to slip.
Rutgers will slip. They can't play ever game at home. 16-5 record and 15-0 at home. They still have road games at UM, Maryland, OSU, WIsky Penn St and Purdue. Could easily run that stretch 0 and 6. Plus home games vs Maryland and Illinois. Their remaining schedule is brutal.

As someone who claims to be a pessimist, you're pretty optimistic and that's coming from an optimist myself. Here's how I'd lean.

at PSU---Toss up---leaning loss
at OSU--Toss up---leaning loss
v. Purdue--Win
v. Iowa--win
at Michigan--toss up---leaning win
at Minn--Loss
v. PSU--Win
at Purdue--toss up---leaning loss
at Illinois--Loss
v. MINN--Win
v. Wisconsin--Win

I think it's likely we go 10-10 in conference and if we can steal a road win 11-9.

Iowa isn't the same team on the road and they have shown to be human these last couple weeks even at home and I think that's another signature win we get in Bloomington. Took an epic meltdown by the Badgers to beat a shorthanded Wisconsin team Monday, battled with Rutgers, and again struggled to beat a shorthanded Michigan team.

Really concerned about Garza when we play them. Against Wisconsin, he got 9 fouls against Reuvers and Potter, two pretty substantial dudes size wise, as well as being smart players. And that doesn't include any other fouls he drew against forwards or centers. TJD and Brunk can't play him one on one without fouling. So we'll have to double him, without helping off of Frederick and Weiskamp.

You say 'epic meltdown' by Iowa v. Wisconsin.....I don't think it was that, as I watched it. I think Iowa took it from them, with a big assist from the refs. As Bardo said, that wasn't a game any other recent Iowa team would have won.

The team I'm less concerned about is Wisconsin. I thought with the addition of Potter they might be legit contenders. But they can't hold up to losing Kobe King, assuming he's gone. That's some adversity they don't have the talent to overcome.

I'd say winning at either PSU or OSU is a "must" is we want anything out of this year other than being a low-seed tourney team that loses in its first game.....

Anybody know if Thompson is back for tonight?

Rutgers will slip. They can't play ever game at home. 16-5 record and 15-0 at home. They still have road games at UM, Maryland, OSU, WIsky Penn St and Purdue. Could easily run that stretch 0 and 6. Plus home games vs Maryland and Illinois. Their remaining schedule is brutal.

The first Michigan game is at MSG, so their fans will very likely outnumber Michigan's....

They're 7-3 now. I think it's highly likely they lose at: MD; Wisconsin; and Purdue

I see them winning 2x v. Michigan & at home v. NW.

So that takes them to 10-6.

Then I think they have 4 toss-up games: at OSU; v. Illinois; at PSU; and v. MD

So I'd guess I see something like 12-8.

I definitely think that from here on out, their schedule is worse than ours.

We're very fortunate not to have to play Iowa & MSU away, for example.

You say 'epic meltdown' by Iowa v. Wisconsin.....I don't think it was that, as I watched it. I think Iowa took it from them, with a big assist from the refs. As Bardo said, that wasn't a game any other recent Iowa team would have won.

I mean they held a 12 point lead with under 7 minutes left and scored 2 points up until Trice hit a technical FT with 3 seconds left. They played not to lose rather than put the game away. Took the shot clock down on every possession and ended up taking bad shot after bad shot. Didn't force Iowa to work on the defensive end. Very uncharacteristic of Wisconsin.

at PSU - loss
at OSU - loss(don't think we sweep them)
v Purdue - win
v Iowa - win(maybe, but at home)
at Michigan - win
at Minn - loss
v PSU - win(they don't sweep us)
at Purdue - win
at Illinois - loss(ugly one at that)
v Minn - win
v Wisc - win

Not that I've put it in print, everyone one of these will be wrong.

I could see it except us winning at Purdue. I think they smoke us there. They match up very well against us at home. A win there would shock me.

I also think we'll beat PSU tonight, but would not be surprised if we don't.........I'm about 55% confident on that one.

Really concerned about Garza when we play them. Against Wisconsin, he got 9 fouls against Reuvers and Potter, two pretty substantial dudes size wise, as well as being smart players. And that doesn't include any other fouls he drew against forwards or centers. TJD and Brunk can't play him one on one without fouling. So we'll have to double him, without helping off of Frederick and Weiskamp.

The team I'm less concerned about is Wisconsin. I thought with the addition of Potter they might be legit contenders. But they can't hold up to losing Kobe King, assuming he's gone. That's some adversity they don't have the talent to overcome.
Garza is horribly weak on defense.

I agree about Garza and love how physical and aggressive he plays, which is why I don't think we'll ever have TJD on him, except for help or a switch. It'll be Brunk and Davis until we burn through 10 fouls and even then I think he might try Race on him vs TJD.

I mean they held a 12 point lead with under 7 minutes left and scored 2 points up until Trice hit a technical FT with 3 seconds left. They played not to lose rather than put the game away. Took the shot clock down on every possession and ended up taking bad shot after bad shot. Didn't force Iowa to work on the defensive end. Very uncharacteristic of Wisconsin.

I just think they have less margin for error than some recent Wisconsin teams......a little less talent and a lot less depth.

So they played classic Wisconsin ball for 33 minutes getting good shots and shooting out their ass......then Iowa pressed them.....and Price/Davidson couldn't hold up against Iowa's press, which was only average.....perhaps tired legs, due to lack of depth, perhaps mentally stressed, as the crowd got into it.

But the reasons I said Iowa took it with the ref's help is that Garza became ultra aggressive without ever being called for a foul, and Iowa drove very aggressively to the basket, getting calls each time. I didn't really see Wisconsin choke other than they became passive.

With the shooting being erratic, all games are toss-ups for me. Anybody remember the IU-Kent State game in 02? I would like to see that type performanceof again!

Reactions: ufo33
I agree about Garza and love how physical and aggressive he plays, which is why I don't think we'll ever have TJD on him, except for help or a switch. It'll be Brunk and Davis until we burn through 10 fouls and even then I think he might try Race on him vs TJD.

Wow, I like that plan a lot. Rotate Joey, Davis & Race every 3 minutes, go through 15 fouls, and stay glued to Weiskamp & Frederick.

I really like watching that Iowa team......Garza would be a top 3 all-time favorite of mine if he played for IU. I do thin his eyebrows are bizarre, however.

Last edited:
I'd say winning at either PSU or OSU is a "must" is we want anything out of this year other than being a low-seed tourney team that loses in its first game.....

Look for tweets first to see if there is mention of him warming up. Warming up doesn't guarantee he will play but it can show if he is wearing the dreaded dark sweats or street clothes. Fischer's coach's interview or injury update in the pregame is the best info we will have.

Fisch said Sunday he was walking around better at the game than he had at practice. I'm betting he will be available but not used.

Wow, I like that plan a lot. Rotate Joey, Davis & Race every 3 minutes, go through 15 fouls, and stay glued to Weiskamp & Frederick.

I really like watching that Iowa team......Garza would be a top 3 all-time favorite of mine if he played for IU. I do thin his eyebrows are bizarre, however.
Not a Fran fan however.

An injury report that I saw earlier says Thompson is doubtful for tonight's game. The notes include that he is not expected to be active due to a lower back injury.

at PSU W
at OSU W (against the reeling bucknuts) , close call. I am almost 50/50
v. Purdue. W (a week off, rivalry blasting )
v. Iowa. W
at Michigan. W

(I know I am predicting we win the next 5)

at Minn L
v. PSU W
at Purdue L
at Illinois L
v. MINN W
v. Wisconsin W. In a close OT game that we almost give away.

Here's how I see it:

at PSU---Win
at OSU--Toss up
v. Purdue--Win
v. Iowa--Toss up
at Michigan--Win
at Minn--Loss
v. PSU--Win
at Purdue--Loss
at Illinois--Loss
v. MINN--Win
v. Wisconsin--Win

Some comments--

Thoughts??

Well, this post didn't age well. I plead temporary amnesia.

Here's how I see it:

at PSU---Win
at OSU--Toss up
v. Purdue--Win
v. Iowa--Toss up
at Michigan--Win
at Minn--Loss
v. PSU--Win
at Purdue--Loss
at Illinois--Loss
v. MINN--Win
v. Wisconsin--Win

Some comments--

Thoughts??
Think you missed the first one...………..

An injury report that I saw earlier says Thompson is doubtful for tonight's game. The notes include that he is not expected to be active due to a lower back injury.
That's why they have steroid shots, WTF is wrong with our medical staff

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT