ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Progress

It does. The lack of a football only facility feeds the perception that IU doesn’t take football seriously. Forcing the football team to share a weight room and training facilities with the field hockey team sends the wrong message. Cutting the Tallen Complex budget sends the wrong message.

If the Tallen Complex budget was actually cut, thats highly upsetting, but it’s the fanbase and not Glass/athletic Department that is sending the wrong message. Glass can’t spend money he doesn’t have

I have coached high school football in Florida for over 30 years and never once have I heard a kid complain about schools having to share their facility with other sports. I have had kids go to Michigan, Miami, Florida, Florida State, Virginia Tech, FIU, Colorado State, Ole Miss, LSU, Minnesota they have visited many other schools and it has never come up. Don’t know if you have ever seen the Hecht Center at Miami it is a complete dump but they seem to be doing ok in recruiting. FAU’s football building housed female sports Howard did that because of Title IX. Again you can talk about it being a huge factor but to most it is not.

Some of our fans must be living in a freaking cave. The Northwestern facility is now being called the gold standard of facilities in the U.S. and, yes, it is shared with other sports.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...-unparalleled-college-football-220858185.html

Reactions: Indianaftw and 76-1
So you have toured both facilities? What makes you say that Purdue has surpassed IU? Your opinion and you are just making shit up now. It’s a $65 million facility. There are schools that have built $160 million facilities.

While you are at it, go ahead and claim the Purdue’s basketball facilities have surpassed IU. The baseball stadium is better. Just go ahead and say it. Laughable.

Your hot take on this facility thing is based on no firsthand experience with the facilities.
Yes, I’ve either formally toured or personally seen facilities throughout the Big 10. The distinctions are obvious is you’ve seen them.

I am by no means a Purdue fan. But that new facility is very nice. The case can be made it is better than IU's. I guess it is what your expectations are. I have seen IU's also!
I guess you are entitled to your oppion of what is nice and what is not nice. The upgrades to the stadium were a necessity. It at least looks like a division one stadium. Not really sure why we are getting the quality kids from Florida with our shared weight room and poor coaches. Not taking anything away from Indiana high school football because I do believe the MICis am outstanding high school conference but I will take 3 stars from Tampa and Miami over a 4 Star from West Lafayette or from Michigan as I am sitting here watching St Thomas Aquinas run Dematha out of the stadium. So if we can’t win recruiting battles in Indiana because of facilities I will take kids from Florida.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
It does. The lack of a football only facility feeds the perception that IU doesn’t take football seriously. Forcing the football team to share a weight room and training facilities with the field hockey team sends the wrong message. Cutting the Tallen Complex budget sends the wrong message.
Lack of crowd in stands is more telling than a shared weight room

Last edited:
If you think Northwestern stadium or Purdue stadium or Rutgers or Maryland is better than Memorial then you are crazy

The exterior of Byrd Stadium looked in dire need of some repair. Crumbling brick and concrete. Tight concourses underneath. Rust on the fencing. Wasn’t impressed.

Reactions: 76-1
So does DECADES of losing and lack of institutional support.
Guess I have to apologize for wanting winning football and feeling that what we have been doing isn’t enough.
No need to apologize we all want the same thing. I think the administration is finally trying to fulfill their end of the bargain and pumping money into the program. True they are not putting the money that the Ohio States and Clemson’s and Alabama’s of the world are putting in. It is now time for fans to step up fill the stadium. Shown the same passion for football as they do for basketball and that will do more to negate the negative recruiting.

They opened a state-of-the-art football only facility last year and paid top dollar for a good coaching staff. IU has the worst football facilities in the Big Ten as well as the lowest paid coaching staff.
We spend money on putting trees in parking lots rather
than increasing coaches salary.

Reactions: IUgradman
If the Tallen Complex budget was actually cut, thats highly upsetting, but it’s the fanbase and not Glass/athletic Department that is sending the wrong message. Glass can’t spend money he doesn’t have

Tallen made a donation. Maybe he reduced it or IU decided to spend some of the money elsewhere. I don’t know, but the renovations that were announced have been scaled back.

We could build a bigger Jerry Dome, but none of that matters if we don't have the proper people in place. Another no bowl season will officially be the end of any momentum IU had the last couple of years. Anybody know if FG has any expectations on this season? He was quoted as having none for the basketball team.

I live in Bloomington. I see the facilities plenty. I was also recently in West Lafayette and saw Purdue’s facilities.

Get someone to let you inside the training facilities and go to a game to see the inside of the stadium, Very very nice.

I have been inside the PU training facility, it is very very nice. I went to the bucket game last year and Ross Ade is a dump with a brick wrapper. Their AV systems are three generations behinfpd IUs. IU put the last awesome scoreboard in left field of the baseball facility and it puts most D1 stadium boards to shame.

We could build a bigger Jerry Dome, but none of that matters if we don't have the proper people in place. Another no bowl season will officially be the end of any momentum IU had the last couple of years. Anybody know if FG has any expectations on this season? He was quoted as having none for the basketball team.

Link on that FG quote?

And I never said we are the doormat either, but again, take a look around the Big Ten and tell me who has worse facilities (not saying ours are bad, but everyone else has good ones too, and most are dedicated to football). Trust me , they use plenty against us, years of football neglect makes us an easy target. That is precisely why we need to eliminate as many negatives as possible.

Those "years of football neglect" are clearly and thankfully in the rear view mirror. Now you may not like the coach hire and that has yet to play out, but no one can accurately or objectively say that things haven't changed for FB at IU in a big way.

What is everyone’s take on what is happening up at Purdue in comparison to IU? They have seen a real impact in a very short period in their recruiting. Why haven’t we? I think we have improved but no where near the results as PU in such a short time. Any thoughts on why?
We have a 4 star and a bunch of 3 stars. We have an identical average star ranking as PU because they have a bunch of 2 stars. We also have more slots to fill.

Do people just not read? And when’s the last time we had a 4 star this early?
Just let it play out and we’ll see where they land. Both have multiple 4-stars left on the board. Based on the changes in signing days, you should see teams signing players earlier.

Those "years of football neglect" are clearly and thankfully in the rear view mirror. Now you may not like the coach hire and that has yet to play out, but no one can accurately or objectively say that things haven't changed for FB at IU in a big way.
I love CTA, have no issue with the hire, I love the improvements that have occurred, just looking for more. The “neglect’” may be in the rear view mirror, but it has left severe scars on the fan base. We need to win, and we need to give our staff every possible advantage, we cannot just keep up and think that will change our fortunes.

So you have toured both facilities? What makes you say that Purdue has surpassed IU? Your opinion and you are just making shit up now. It’s a $65 million facility. There are schools that have built $160 million facilities.

While you are at it, go ahead and claim the Purdue’s basketball facilities have surpassed IU. The baseball stadium is better. Just go ahead and say it. Laughable.

Your hot take on this facility thing is based on no firsthand experience with the facilities.
Yes, I’ve toured both, and Purdue’s facility is both superior and exclusive to football. Have you toured or ever set foot in either one?

Indiana should beat Purdue out for in-state talent 3 out of 4 times. Purdue simply does not have some great football program or tradition. Indiana should be a far easier sell, especially to Indianapolis area prospects.

All it would take is several top players from Indy to come down to Bloomington and have success to get the ball rolling. I'm talking the 4 and 5 star QB, RB, etc. Wilson was VERY close with the 2013 class. These kids would be legends in the state if they had big success.

I don't know why this can not happen??

No need to apologize we all want the same thing. I think the administration is finally trying to fulfill their end of the bargain and pumping money into the program. True they are not putting the money that the Ohio States and Clemson’s and Alabama’s of the world are putting in. It is now time for fans to step up fill the stadium. Shown the same passion for football as they do for basketball and that will do more to negate the negative recruiting.
I’m not asking for Alabama or Clemson facilities, but we need to be as good or better than Iowa or Purdue facilities. I’ve heard that FG has said he wants us to be at least like “Iowa good “ in football, well, we better have at least Iowa like tools to work with in order to get there, lord knows we are behind them in most metrics. Therefore, we need to have some advantages , some edge in order to catch up.
In fairness, what other fan base “fills” the stadium with our track record in the Big Ten ? The passion is there for basketball due to winning, and I don’t mean necessarily this year or last, but over time. In basketball we have a history of winning and a fan base that was built as a result. In football, we have a history of “tailgating” , students wear IU tailgate shirts, not IU football shirts on game day. That is due to history, the freshmen will learn it this year, and unless we start consistently winning , they will pass it is on to the freshman next year, and so on.
We need to give Tom Allen every possible advantage, that is all I want, because I believe he can win, but his path needs to be free of any obstacles we can clear.

I’m not asking for Alabama or Clemson facilities, but we need to be as good or better than Iowa or Purdue facilities. I’ve heard that FG has said he wants us to be at least like “Iowa good “ in football, well, we better have at least Iowa like tools to work with in order to get there, lord knows we are behind them in most metrics. Therefore, we need to have some advantages , some edge in order to catch up.
In fairness, what other fan base “fills” the stadium with our track record in the Big Ten ? The passion is there for basketball due to winning, and I don’t mean necessarily this year or last, but over time. In basketball we have a history of winning and a fan base that was built as a result. In football, we have a history of “tailgating” , students wear IU tailgate shirts, not IU football shirts on game day. That is due to history, the freshmen will learn it this year, and unless we start consistently winning , they will pass it is on to the freshman next year, and so on.
We need to give Tom Allen every possible advantage, that is all I want, because I believe he can win, but his path needs to be free of any obstacles we can clear.

Iowa arguably has the best facilities in the conference (Michigan has them on sheer size, but Iowa seems to be much better quality), and are probably aren’t too far behind Bama/Clemson

Indiana should beat Purdue out for in-state talent 3 out of 4 times. Purdue simply does not have some great football program or tradition. Indiana should be a far easier sell, especially to Indianapolis area prospects.

All it would take is several top players from Indy to come down to Bloomington and have success to get the ball rolling. I'm talking the 4 and 5 star QB, RB, etc. Wilson was VERY close with the 2013 class. These kids would be legends in the state if they had big success.

I don't know why this can not happen??
IU must have a transformative recruiter who can sell in state kids on the vision of being a part of building a championship program. Otherwise, I think too many kids with viable alternatives will go elsewhere. I know there’s a school of thought that says to get the best players, regardless of where they’re from, which I tend to agree with. Regardless, having a transformative recruiter would seem to be essential if Iu is to build a winning program. We’ll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: td75
We can compete and win with: a) the HC we have now; and b) the facilities we have now. The obstacle we need to clear is ten straight losing seasons (and 23 of the last 24). A winning season is the sole missing piece. If we break through this year, Allen and staff will sign an even better incoming class than the most recent one, and we will be well-positioned to take things to another level. We just need to win - - now.

I can easily sit here and argue that Kevin Wilson was extremely close to stringing together several very special seasons. If you look back and closely examine his tenure, you will notice that he was one Tom Allen away from bowling 4-5 years in a row.

The 2015 season is the year before Allen arrived. I can realistically make a case that if Allen was our DC that year, IU wins 10 games and their bowl to equal 11 wins. It can be done here, Wilson was that damn close.

I don't think Debord is the answer at OC. I will be excited if this team makes a small bowl game and Debord then hangs it up. Tom can then bring in a young, creative OC that will showcase an offense that is attractive to top recruits.

You didn’t answer my question.
Are you an IU season ticket holder and attend IU games for football.
Not currently a season ticket holder but attend roughly half of the games, home and away, using family tickets. Have had season tickets for most of the last few decades, though, which is why I’d so badly like IU to build a winning program. How about you?

I get optimistic every fall and think about how awesome it would be to win the East. When I actually take a step back and think about that, what a daunting task! I think we can beat one of the “big 4” but to take down all 4 or 3 of 4 in a season? I face reality. Hell... Bama would struggle year in and out with that. I know we have to walk before we run and who knows what the East will be in 3 years so instead of instant gratification, I’ll settle for slowly building and keep my optimism in check (for now).

The fact of the matter is the facilities are not as good as our competition, and that is a conscious choice made by the administration. We have a long way to go to catch up to the likes of Purdue, Minnesota, and Iowa.

I get optimistic every fall and think about how awesome it would be to win the East. When I actually take a step back and think about that, what a daunting task! I think we can beat one of the “big 4” but to take down all 4 or 3 of 4 in a season? I face reality. Hell... Bama would struggle year in and out with that. I know we have to walk before we run and who knows what the East will be in 3 years so instead of instant gratification, I’ll settle for slowly building and keep my optimism in check (for now).

Good post!! When you stated that Alabama would struggle to win the East division, reality quickly sets in. What a d!ckhead Delany is...!!!

How could the leaders of the Big Ten ever agree to this current alignment???

The fact of the matter is the facilities are not as good as our competition, and that is a conscious choice made by the administration. We have a long way to go to catch up to the likes of Purdue, Minnesota, and Iowa.

I would like to see pictures in a side by side format so we can truly see the differences between the programs. It's mindboggling to me, it really is, IU hasn't even cut the ribbons on the brand new South Endzone project!!!

However, if we are that far behind Purdue, Minnesota and Iowa, it's unacceptable. If it's a football weight room only issue, that seems very fixable.

I would like to see pictures in a side by side format so we can truly see the differences between the programs. It's mindboggling to me, it really is, IU hasn't even cut the ribbons on the brand new South Endzone project!!!

However, if we are that far behind Purdue, Minnesota and Iowa, it's unacceptable. If it's a football weight room only issue, that seems very fixable.

gradman and fpeaugh are trolls. don't feed them.

that said, facilities are nice, but when everyone has great facilities, which everyone does, having solid gold toilets instead of just gold plated ones isn't the difference maker most here make it out to be.

our stadium looks great 358 days a yr.

if we can make it look as great as other stadiums the other 7 days a yr, that will help perception.

that's where the administration is failing the program today, and where the "commitment" is totally absent.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT