ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Progress

Please believe whatever you want, but coaches, in and outside the program, have expressed concern about IU’s commitment based on the facilities. If you’d rather ignore that, that’s fine. And I never made a “gross generalization that a person must favor everything or nothing . . .”. That statement simple isn’t true.
are you and gradman the same person?

Who is saying facilities aren't a meaningful part of a recruits decision? But if you're a recruit and all of the schools you're looking at have good facilities, I doubt you sit down and make your decision based on which of those good facilities is the best. At a certain point, once you've passed some quality threshold with your facilities, there's no way it has a serious effect on recruiting.

I haven't personally seen the IU facilities, but from the pictures they appear to be comparable to most conference teams. The upgrades were needed to get IU to at least be in the conversation when it comes to football facilities.

Recruiting is a funny business. I can remember listening to Tommy Bowden, the then head coach at Clemson. He was recruiting a highly rated recruit wanted by many of the elites. The recruit ended up selecting Clemson, and Bowden wanted to know what it was that tipped the scales to Clemson's favor. Bowden thought the recruit would talk about something football related. Instead the recruit said that of all the schools he visited Clemson was the only one who had soft serve ice cream in the cafeteria.

I'm not getting to deep into this argument, but if a sport exclusive weight room was not important from either a use standpoint or perception standpoint, the IU basketball team wouldn't have their own facility, would they? They would be sharing the NEZ or other sports would be sharing their rooms at Cook. The fact that there is a basketball only facility for lifting plays into the negative recruiting that IU only really cares about basketball. Whether it is true or not (and to some degree I think it is) that is clearly a perception that is used against IU football in recruiting. For those wanting a direct quote from an potential recruit, that just isn't going to be a public statement by a recruit. It is something they will discuss with family and high school coaches. This negative recruiting against IU for not having a football only facility has been passed on by some pretty reliable sources on the other site. You don't have to like the other site to acknowledge the credibility of some of their staff. Like it or not, it is an issue. When you are already historically swinging from the back tees, why add another five yards to the hole?

You may not think it but it is true and recruits, their parents, and HS coaches have noticed and commented on the lack of a football only facility. Again, the top programs have their own facility. Should IU not emulate the behavior of the best programs?

The horse is dead Bob - stop beating it.

Any kid who is too good to eat with other athletes and lift weights in the same building as other athletes needs to go to Purdue.
I'm sick to death of such prima donnas who need a bunch of special treatment.

Screw them and their parents. Whiny needy bitchy snowflakes who think they are too special and too good to share a freaking building?

Really?

I'm not kissing any 18 years old ass to beg him to come play football at IU.

If he's too good for our crappy facilities, then buh bye.

Take 37 North and go fast.

Last edited:
You may not think it but it is true and recruits, their parents, and HS coaches have noticed and commented on the lack of a football only facility. Again, the top programs have their own facility. Should IU not emulate the behavior of the best programs?

Please believe whatever you want, but coaches, in and outside the program, have expressed concern about IU’s commitment based on the facilities. If you’d rather ignore that, that’s fine. And I never made a “gross generalization that a person must favor everything or nothing . . .”. That statement simple isn’t true.

Same folks who told Stevens and Johnson and Peters they were better off going to Penn State, Michigan and Clemson?

Were you guys there they day DiNardo had to PAINT the field?

We just spend a couple hundred million on football, basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, wrestling, field hockey - even the damn band is getting a building.

And folks wanna bitch that we didn't build every single sport a separate facility?

My daughter played field hockey. Why should she be treated like a second class citizen? Because some mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging OL at Purdue needs to be kept separate from normal people?

Sounds like we all wanna cry because we didn't get the biggest lollipop.

Reactions: UncleMark and 76-1
Uh,, I did get the biggest lollipop, and now I have TMJ.

Be careful what you wish for. ;)

Personally, if I'm a player having chow overlooking the football stadium I'd much prefer to have the option of sharing a table with a member of, say..., the women's diving team..., versus the same group of guys I've just spent half a day beating the hell out of..., but hey..., that's just me... Maybe the fellows up north prefer to be with the guys all the time..., to each his own...:D

Same folks who told Stevens and Johnson and Peters they were better off going to Penn State, Michigan and Clemson?

Were you guys there they day DiNardo had to PAINT the field?

We just spend a couple hundred million on football, basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, wrestling, field hockey - even the damn band is getting a building.

And folks wanna bitch that we didn't build every single sport a separate facility?

My daughter played field hockey. Why should she be treated like a second class citizen? Because some mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging OL at Purdue needs to be kept separate from normal people?

Sounds like we all wanna cry because we didn't get the biggest lollipop.

Every school in the conference has spent or is spending money on facilities upgrades. IU doesn’t get a cookie for doing the bare minimum. As for field hockey, it should not get the same treatment as football. It may not be PC, but football is the most lucrative sport in collegiate athletics and should get dirst dibs on facilities upgrades. A successful football program can pay for field hockey.

Be careful what you wish for. ;)

Personally, if I'm a player having chow overlooking the football stadium I'd much prefer to have the option of sharing a table with a member of, say..., the women's diving team..., versus the same group of guys I've just spent half a day beating the hell out of..., but hey..., that's just me... Maybe the fellows up north prefer to be with the guys all the time..., to each his own...:D
Lol I am thinking I wouldn’t mind sharing the weightroom with volleyball players in spandex.

Every school in the conference has spent or is spending money on facilities upgrades. IU doesn’t get a cookie for doing the bare minimum. As for field hockey, it should not get the same treatment as football. It may not be PC, but football is the most lucrative sport in collegiate athletics and should get dirst dibs on facilities upgrades. A successful football program can pay for field hockey.

The fact you call it a bare minimum reveals a lot.

As does the belief that IU doesn’t need to go above and beyond to make the football program. Doing what they’ve always done is very likely to get them the result they’ve always gotten.
Good God, how many times and ways are you going to say the same thing? Are you that fragile that you always have to have the last word?

Reactions: limestonecowboy
Good God, how many times and ways are you going to say the same thing? Are you that fragile that you always have to have the last word?
How many times are you going to push back and challenge it with opposing views? If you don’t want to discuss, please don’t respond.

We oughta just make Purdue join the NFL.
They are the best ever.
No one can compete.
They are the Raquel Welch of football now.
Everyone else should quit.
Just LOOK at that place..

b6a9c6d8a35f908f3925d1545cddacbba2f48d9a857c2f0e36aac02ce85756df.jpg

Reactions: 82IU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT