ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Progress

Hoosier_Hack

All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2011
What is everyone’s take on what is happening up at Purdue in comparison to IU? They have seen a real impact in a very short period in their recruiting. Why haven’t we? I think we have improved but no where near the results as PU in such a short time. Any thoughts on why?

They opened a state-of-the-art football only facility last year and paid top dollar for a good coaching staff. IU has the worst football facilities in the Big Ten as well as the lowest paid coaching staff.

and apparently the worst poster in the Big Ten lol (as long as we are overly exaggerating)

I highly doubt we have the worst football facilities, especially with the biggest weight room.

They opened a state-of-the-art football only facility last year and paid top dollar for a good coaching staff. IU has the worst football facilities in the Big Ten as well as the lowest paid coaching staff.

That top dollar coaching staff is only getting a combine $200k more than IU's staff (3.4M vs 3.2M), and a good chunk of that difference is a nepotism payment to Brian Brohm, who wouldn't be making anything close to his $425k anywhere else but on his brother's staff.

I heard that in some "Warren Central Circles" the RUMORS (definitely not facts until anything is announced) was that David Bell was leaning PU and that he may make a decision sooner rather than wait to the end of the season.

I personally don't think any kid should be chastised for any final choice they make, but I DO hope that he considers waiting to see how the season starts. Ex: If he waits until first 5 games of season are over, Purdue could be anywhere from 2-3 to 4-1 (they won't win at Nebraska, could lose at home any of Northwestern, BC, Missouri). IU could be yes 2-3 but also 4-1/5-0 if they were to upset MSU at home and win the ones we think they can. Point being, if IU were 5-0 with big MSU win and PU were 2-3 with losses to NU & BC & Neb, those would look like two very different trajectories.

I have no reason to think he doesn't like IU as well, but maybe he had let some of the Brohm pixie dust get sprinkled on him. Just hope he keeps an open mind, as he could slide right into an IU starting role if he came next year.

That said, I think IU is still off to a good start, and if season goes well (i.e. Bowl game) things will take care of themselves. Until the kids SIGN THE PAPERS things are very fluid in FB recruiting.

What is everyone’s take on what is happening up at Purdue in comparison to IU? They have seen a real impact in a very short period in their recruiting. Why haven’t we? I think we have improved but no where near the results as PU in such a short time. Any thoughts on why?

Wilson made similar "progress" at the same time point with his 2013 class, which was ranked 4th in the conference. At this point, it is hard to tell if the uptick will/can be sustained, or if its more of a one year aberration.

That top dollar coaching staff is only getting a combine $200k more than IU's staff (3.4M vs 3.2M), and a good chunk of that difference is a nepotism payment to Brian Brohm, who wouldn't be making anything close to his $425k anywhere else but on his brother's staff.
Would like to see some facts on this. Not saying you are wrong.

At some point academics and campus aesthetics must be worth something to recruits. I don’t think all recruits base their entire decision on gamerooms and jacuzzis.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
I’m not sure IU’s facilities are the “worst in the BiG 10” (until their updates in a few years, Illinois’ aren’t at IU’s level, and neither are Rutgers, from what I’ve seen). But in this perpetual arms race, it’s possible for IU to have very solid facilities and still be in the bottom third of the conference. Just the way it is right now.

I can think of three reasons that Purdue is having success on the recruiting trail. Brohm. Brohm and Brohm. The guy can float out coach which is obvious to the kids.

Reactions: fpeaugh
How in the hell could IU's facilities be in the bottom of the Big Ten?? I absolutely do not believe that statement. The North Endzone is not even 10 years old and the South Endzone project is sparkling new. The weight room, just 6 years ago, was the largest in the country.

What I would do is slash the basketball budget in half. Allocating that kind of budget to basketball simply doesn't make sense.

Bottom line is Purdue cares more about football. They made the big investment and the big hire. We’ve settled...hoping on a miracle. You reap what you sow.

As season approaches you are ramping up your negativity under guise of “just the facts.”

Why you are still an IU fan is perplexing. But to say they “care more” is silly talk. Between weight room, new stadium, new S&C coaches, you still say that with a straight face?

If IU has a great year, please don’t act like you were supportive all along as you consistently have not been in a major way.

Reactions: 76-1
How in the hell could IU's facilities be in the bottom of the Big Ten?? I absolutely do not believe that statement. The North Endzone is not even 10 years old and the South Endzone project is sparkling new. The weight room, just 6 years ago, was the largest in the country.

What I would do is slash the basketball budget in half. Allocating that kind of budget to basketball simply doesn't make sense.

The South Endzone is for all sports. The football locker room is a dump as are the players’ lounge and coaches’ locker room. The weight room is shared among all sports which sends the message that football doesn’t matter anymore than golf.

Basketball is already nickel and dimed and Archie had to beg for needed facilities upgrades. IU spends too little on athletics, not too much. Cut the budget for basketball and a .500 season would be the new normal.

I’m not sure IU’s facilities are the “worst in the BiG 10” (until their updates in a few years, Illinois’ aren’t at IU’s level, and neither are Rutgers, from what I’ve seen). But in this perpetual arms race, it’s possible for IU to have very solid facilities and still be in the bottom third of the conference. Just the way it is right now.

Purdue has arguably the best football facility in the Big Ten. They do not have more money than IU. They prioritized football, plain and simple.

Reactions: fpeaugh
You can say they have worst facilities in college football does not make it a fact. It is simply untrue.
gradman comes up with some crazy stuff.
tenor.gif

Reactions: limestonecowboy
The South Endzone is for all sports. The football locker room is a dump as are the players’ lounge and coaches’ locker room. The weight room is shared among all sports which sends the message that football doesn’t matter anymore than golf.

Basketball is already nickel and dimed and Archie had to beg for needed facilities upgrades. IU spends too little on athletics, not too much. Cut the budget for basketball and a .500 season would be the new normal.
The condition of the weight room was a topic of some whispers by some high school coaches among others during camps in June.

Reactions: IUgradman

The locker room, players lounge, coaches locker room are going to be remodel/expanded into the former dining hall once the season is over. Team and position meeting rooms and weight room are getting a face lift too. You talk as if IU has stopped investing in football, its an ongoing process.

What new facilities did Archie need to ask for? Cook hall is only 7 years old and locker room renovation was planned before Archie stepped foot on campus.

Purdue has arguably the best football facility in the Big Ten. They do not have more money than IU. They prioritized football, plain and simple.

Purdue did not prioritize football, they are just making up for not investing in facilities in the last 20 years. Yes, they have a nice shiny new facility, but with the exception of the football only weight room, what Purdue has inside their facilities, IU has had for 10 years or is in the process of getting.

what's wrong with sharing the weight room? get the fb team in there with the volleyball team, asap. that'll make you work hard.

The locker room, players lounge, coaches locker room are going to be remodel/expanded into the former dining hall once the season is over. Team and position meeting rooms and weight room are getting a face lift too. You talk as if IU has stopped investing in football, its an ongoing process.

What new facilities did Archie need to ask for? Cook hall is only 7 years old and locker room renovation was planned before Archie stepped foot on campus.

Purdue did not prioritize football, they are just making up for not investing in facilities in the last 20 years. Yes, they have a nice shiny new facility, but with the exception of the football only weight room, what Purdue has inside their facilities, IU has had for 10 years or is in the process of getting.

Yes, the locker room and lounge will be updated, but will they be made comparable in quality to what our peer schools have? The budget for the renovation has already been cut. The administration is content to provide the bare minimum necessary for its sports teams. Nothing shiny, groundbreaking or trend setting.

Everything Purdue has football facility-wise is better than what IU possesses. Lounge, meeting rooms, training rooms, coaches offices, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnsyRick

That is nowhere true, dude. They didn’t even invest in their complex as much as IU has with the past two. IU will have upgraded locker rooms next year. There are other facilities around the Big Ten with much higher price tags than $65 million. That complex just got them to a competitive level. There are other programs that have ponied up way more cash on projects than this and you are proclaiming it as the best in the conference?

You should look at what Minnesota is did with their athletes village. It blows that performance complex out of the water.

Reactions: limestonecowboy

One thing more people in Indiana care about basketball than they do football. When you can get barely 35,000 for a football game and the basketball team can get around 13,000+ for a practice should show you where the fans priorities are. Why damage one of the sports that has actually won something of importance over a program that in my 40+ years of watching IU sports has been the worst in the big ten.

I hate seeing these football only fans blaming everything that is wrong with the football program on the basketball program. If more people would support all teams and not just one or the other maybe we would have a better football program. I don't pay attention to other programs that much but I doubt there is more friction between fans than we have here at IU.

One thing more people in Indiana cares about basketball than they do football. When you can get barely35,00 for a football game and the basketball team can get around 13,000 for a practice should show you where the fans priorities are. Why damage one of the sports that has actually won something of importance over a program that in my 40+ years of watching IU sports that has been the worst in the big ten.
I hate seeing these football only fans blaming everything that is wrong with the football program on the basketball program. If more people would support all teams and not just one or the other maybe we would have a better football program. I don't pay attention to other programs that much but I doubt there is more friction between fans than we have here at IU.

The only problem with this is that it is simple economics. No school in the Power 5 can sustain itself on basketball alone. People have been trying to preach that for years and it is not feasible. Fans may not give two shits about the football program but they should want it to do well and need the investment. It’s simply the truth. Wisconsin built their basketball facilities on the back of football success and they have now surpassed IU in basketball. They have better success and attendance. You need to hope and pray that football succeeds. It’s good for basketball. More and more supposed “football schools” have populated the basketball top-25 the past decade.

Saying that Indiana “cares more about basketball” is great but what does that really mean? The past success is ancient history. You think MSU discards one sport for the other? They have done more in this conference the last 20 years than IU as had Wisconsin. Saying “yeah but we are passionate and they aren’t” certainly hasn’t meant anything in the results column. IU is like 2-22 against Wisconsin on the hardwood and it’s not changing just because our fans are supposedly “crazy for basketball.”

The only problem with this is that it is simple economics. No school in the Power 5 can sustain itself on basketball alone. People have been trying to preach that for years and it is not feasible. Fans may not give two shits about the football program but they should want it to do well and need the investment. It’s simply the truth. Wisconsin built their basketball facilities on the back of football success and they have now surpassed IU in basketball. They have better success and attendance. You need to hope and pray that football succeeds. It’s good for basketball. More and more supposed “football schools” have populated the basketball top-25 the past decade.

Saying that Indiana “cares more about basketball” is great but what does that really mean? The past success is ancient history. You think MSU discards one sport for the other? They have done more in this conference the last 20 years than IU as had Wisconsin. Saying “yeah but we are passionate and they aren’t” certainly hasn’t meant anything in the results column. IU is like 2-22 against Wisconsin on the hardwood and it’s not changing just because our fans are supposedly “crazy for basketball.”
I want all IU sports to be the best but if I could only have one it is basketball. When I say we care more about basketball I showed the comparison how basketball can actually sell out for a practice and IU needs to play OSU to get a sellout for football. I have been a football an for over 40 years and remember UW and NW being laughing stocks in both sports and got lucky with hiring some good up and coming coaches. we have to be able to do the same because IU will never be able to bring in a big name coach. To me it appears that the athletic department has put a lot of money in the football program and the facilities looks a lot better than it use to.

Yes, the facilities are better but given how awful they were it would be almost impossible for them not to be improved. And every other school is upgrading facilities as well. The rest of the conference is not standing still.

One thing more people in Indiana care about basketball than they do football. When you can get barely 35,000 for a football game and the basketball team can get around 13,000+ for a practice should show you where the fans priorities are. Why damage one of the sports that has actually won something of importance over a program that in my 40+ years of watching IU sports has been the worst in the big ten.

football only fans? you can't be serious. there are many many more iu basketball only fans than football only fans. therein lies the rub.

what makes you think purdue's recruiting class is so good.

That is nowhere true, dude. They didn’t even invest in their complex as much as IU has with the past two. IU will have upgraded locker rooms next year. There are other facilities around the Big Ten with much higher price tags than $65 million. That complex just got them to a competitive level. There are other programs that have ponied up way more cash on projects than this and you are proclaiming it as the best in the conference?

You should look at what Minnesota is did with their athletes village. It blows that performance complex out of the water.
I don’t consider Purdue’s football facilities to be the best in the BiG 10, but they’ve surpassed IU. That doesn’t mean IU has poor facilities, only that schools like Purdue have caught and passed them, which is what happens in a large conference where members are flush with cash and willing to spend it during this windfall period of Big10 distributions. As I said earlier, IU has very nice football facilities that likely rate somewhere in the bottom third of the conference. No disgrace in that, but the perceived advantage doesn’t exist.

I want all IU sports to be the best but if I could only have one it is basketball. When I say we care more about basketball I showed the comparison how basketball can actually sell out for a practice and IU needs to play OSU to get a sellout for football. I have been a football an for over 40 years and remember UW and NW being laughing stocks in both sports and got lucky with hiring some good up and coming coaches. we have to be able to do the same because IU will never be able to bring in a big name coach. To me it appears that the athletic department has put a lot of money in the football program and the facilities looks a lot better than it use to.
Neither of those schools “got lucky” in their coaching hires. Your comments are wholly inaccurate.

Welll if Purdue didn’t prioritize football then why the recruiting bump? That is more rhetorical than anything... I just don’t get it.... Wilson did have a class in 2013 but it wasn’t in the top 25.... I’m not saying they will finish there but it sure looks like they will.... it’s the coach in my opinion. If they get their upset win in the Big this year look out.

Welll if Purdue didn’t prioritize football then why the recruiting bump? That is more rhetorical than anything... I just don’t get it.... Wilson did have a class in 2013 but it wasn’t in the top 25.... I’m not saying they will finish there but it sure looks like they will.... it’s the coach in my opinion. If they get their upset win in the Big this year look out.
Purdue probably won't be in the top 25 after every one signs because some of the other top schools will get more 4 and 5 star uncommitted players.

So you knew that Barry Alavarez was going to be a great coach when they hired him
I know that an outstanding football guy (Pat Richter, Wisconsin’s AD) went to four outstanding football guys (Hayden Fry and Lou Holtz, on whose staffs Alvarez coached, and Bob Devaney, his college coach and Tom Osborne, his OC in college)and found an outstanding coach. That’s four HOF college coaches who recommended and endorsed Alvarez. So yeah, if you followed college football, you had a really good sense he was going to do very well.

Last edited:
Actually, Rutgers is in the middle of a building cycle. Rutgers is near completion of a new practice facility that will house both men and women basketball as well as wrestling and gymnastics. Attached to the facility will be a state of the art medical and research center in a joint venture with Rutgers and Barnabas Health Care called the Barnabas Health Athletic Performance Center. This was accomplished through $100 million fundraiser with money coming from the private sector and the state giving a tax break to help jump-start the project. Both facilities should be open by the end of the school year. Another project that just broke ground is the new academic center across from the football stadium. It's called the Gary, and Barbara Rodkin Center for Academic Success as the Rodkins donated the first $10 million ( total cost $30 million) to the building of the center and should be completed sometime next summer. In 2017 Rutgers opened a new indoor practice facility for baseball and softball. It contains a complete infield with multiple hitting cages and area for pitchers to throw. The teams can now practice year round.
Last year Rutgers opened a new grass and turf practice facility for football to replace their old facilities. The Towers (husband & wife) donated $8 million to pay for the entire facility. They run a hedge fund for an NYC company, and they have no ties to the school. The Towers are encouraging other local businesses in the NY/NJ area to join in building Rutgers Athletics. At the same time as the new football practice fields opened, Rutgers opened their new weight rooms. The Gartuttis donated $3 million towards the new football weight room and $1.65 for the new basketball weight room. At the end of this football season, Rutgers will remodel the locker rooms and expand the football center as soccer and lacrosse move into their new temporary facility as stated by AD Hobbs the press conference for the new Academic Center. AD Hobbs hopes to start on a new indoor practice field for football within the next 2 to 3 years, but that depends on well the new round of fundraising goes.
The AD for Rutgers came aboard three years ago and said by 2020 he wanted to upgrade most of the major sports and start addressing the Olympic sports by then. It's all part of the school's $1 billion overall master plan for expansion through 2030 campus-wide. There is a lot of activities going on at Rutgers right now, and the average B1G fan isn't aware of it.

As season approaches you are ramping up your negativity under guise of “just the facts.”

Why you are still an IU fan is perplexing. But to say they “care more” is silly talk. Between weight room, new stadium, new S&C coaches, you still say that with a straight face?

If IU has a great year, please don’t act like you were supportive all along as you consistently have not been in a major way.

you think only IU fans post here.

i highly doubt fpeaugh is an IU fan, and he can spare me the false indignation.

Reactions: Hoosiers Rising

Purdue upgraded their training facility big time because it needed it big time. Their new facility is as nice as IUs and many others but IUs 360-degree approach to developing student athletes with the development center in the SEZ and other locations again gives IU the advantage. This market leading approach is well beyond bricks an mortar as the vast majority of SAs will not earn a living in sports.

Ross Ade stadium however is way behind, I assume that will be addressed at some point.

You need to get to Btown to see the new facilities. Very very nice. Place doesn't even resemble the humble mass of even 10 years ago.

We have a 4 star and a bunch of 3 stars. We have an identical average star ranking as PU because they have a bunch of 2 stars. We also have more slots to fill.

Do people just not read? And when’s the last time we had a 4 star this early?

ADVERTISEMENT