ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic coaching list….

Yet they dont think of this. OSU and UL dont have the loons IU does making the decisions so they will fire and hire while we stick with Woodson and go 13-16 7-13 next year. Its why losing out is way better in the end then winning 4/5 more games. People just think about this weekend, when they need to think about next year and beyond.
Lol. Louisville has fired and hired their way into how many 20 loss seasons? Is it 2 or 3 in the last 5 years?

So you're saying that Louisville has made poor coaching hires over the past 20 years just like IU? Well, its nice to see we're not alone.
No, that's not what I'm saying. Nice straw man though.

Plenty of people thought we should hire Chris Mack. Worked out perfect. Just what Louisville hoped for, I'm sure.

Bruce Pearl 2.0 is at Indiana State right now, will they ever get this right ....

That’s a nice article you posted, thanks. I wanted to post a couple paragraphs from it here:

Last summer Schertz visited Florida Atlantic coach Dusty May, his friend of five years, in Boca Raton. The plan was to talk some ball in the morning, grab some food and meet a friend for pickleball. Ten hours in, both realized they were starving and hadn't left the office.

May says his friend is "as good as there is" as a coach, noting his "obsession with learning and growing." After his first season at LMU in 2009, Schertz spent a week with Bill Self's Kansas program. When it was time to meet with Self, the Jayhawks coach got pulled into a meeting and handed Schertz his playbook. "You couldn't have given me the Torah and it'd have been any better," Schertz says. He frantically took notes the next two hours.

And a few more:

Running Self's high-low offense, he made five straight Division II NCAA Tournaments at Lincoln Memorial. In

2014-15, his team went 30-3. The next September, he visited Brad Stevens and the Boston Celtics. He believed the five-out systems in the NBA were where the game was going. He scrapped his entire offense in October.

"My staff thought I was crazy," he says.

LMU won 34 games and made the national championship. Now in his third year at Indiana State, the Sycamores are likely headed for their first NCAA Tournament bid since 2011, and Schertz's five-out attack is the most efficient half-court offense in college hoops.

And a few more:

Running Self's high-low offense, he made five straight Division II NCAA Tournaments at Lincoln Memorial. In

2014-15, his team went 30-3. The next September, he visited Brad Stevens and the Boston Celtics. He believed the five-out systems in the NBA were where the game was going. He scrapped his entire offense in October.

"My staff thought I was crazy," he says.

LMU won 34 games and made the national championship. Now in his third year at Indiana State, the Sycamores are likely headed for their first NCAA Tournament bid since 2011, and Schertz's five-out attack is the most efficient half-court offense in college hoops.
the scary part about hiring a guy from a mid, mid major, is not can they coach and teach, but can they deal with administrating a major D1 program. Depending on your age, you may not remember Dan Monson, but he was the guy that put Gonzaga on the map and set the table for Mark Few. MN lured him away and I was sure they would become a monster and he fizzled. Same with the Butler coach at IA... Todd Licklighter. I have no doubt all those guys are great bball minds, but can they handle the demands of a major D1 program? This guy sounds fantastic though. A smart AD at a school like Indiana should be taking note and making some inquiries.

the scary part about hiring a guy from a mid, mid major, is not can they coach and teach, but can they deal with administrating a major D1 program. Depending on your age, you may not remember Dan Monson, but he was the guy that put Gonzaga on the map and set the table for Mark Few. MN lured him away and I was sure they would become a monster and he fizzled. Same with the Butler coach at IA... Todd Licklighter. I have no doubt all those guys are great bball minds, but can they handle the demands of a major D1 program? This guy sounds fantastic though. A smart AD at a school like Indiana should be taking note and making some inquiries.
Seems to me like the coaching ability is the most important thing. Administrative demands can, to at least some extent, be delegated to assistants and other program staff, or so I would think.

Seems to me like the coaching ability is the most important thing. Administrative demands can, to at least some extent, be delegated to assistants and other program staff, or so I would think.
I think you better have both in some mix. Obviously the bball knowledge is requisite, but the admin demands are huge and I think more often upend coaches. Coaches like Monson, Licklighter, Sampson and Miller didn't fail because they forgot how to coach. And, as the face of the program, I disagree that much of that can be delegated. Quite the opposite for the things I'm thinking of. You're the leader and face of the program. The AD and BOT will meet with you, boosters want to meet the coach, as do parents and coaches of recruits.

Reactions: .Gerdis and ams66
You're the leader and face of the program. The AD and BOT will meet with you, boosters want to meet the coach, as do parents and coaches of recruits.
Yes, as a leader they need to be in control. Imagine a booster paying a kid $2 million to play at IU. As coach, how do you control that situation? The booster may feel that they are entitled to a level of control, and perhaps they do have tremendous leverage with the player, or even the coach. Then there’s the media to deal with. Personality and ego issues. Off the court issues, etc.

It’s not just about back door cuts and help D.

Reactions: kkott
So is Woody the 5th best college coach in the state, behind this ISU guy, Matta, Painter, and Shrewsberry (in no particular order)? Sad times, man, sad times.
People keep forgetting all the huge advantages Woody has with top-5 NIL, big budget from athletic dept, facilities, great fans, etc. He is doing so little with so much.

Well, he didn't. But people keep repeating that myth. Davis resigned. And he wasn't forced out.
Yes, for the record, Davis did resign (after the blown at game at Penn State)… because he knew he was going to get fired soon. You can keep believing he wasn’t going to be forced out and that Herbert didn’t play a major role in Sampson coming too.

Please elaborate.
Tell us what your sources are saying.
hat I see on the court. IU is playing the best BB all years. Injuries are a part of the game. I was always taught next man up. I like what CMW is doing and learning the capabilities of his team. Its no longer just throwing it into Ware and Reneau. Leal. Walker ,Cupps and maybe Gunn will have to step up.

hat I see on the court. IU is playing the best BB all years. Injuries are a part of the game. I was always taught next man up. I like what CMW is doing and learning the capabilities of his team. Its no longer just throwing it into Ware and Reneau. Leal. Walker ,Cupps and maybe Gunn will have to step up.
Not sure about Gunn. His mannerisms indicate he’s got one foot out the door.

Reactions: Willdog7
Yes, for the record, Davis did resign (after the blown at game at Penn State)… because he knew he was going to get fired soon. You can keep believing he wasn’t going to be forced out and that Herbert didn’t play a major role in Sampson coming too.
Sorry, but that's not how it went down. Davis decided to quit and then the season went sideways.

The Penn State game was nearly two weeks AFTER Davis informed President Herbert he wanted to quit.

He had already planned to quit BEFORE the season went off the rails
. At the time of the initial discussion with the University President, IU was still ranked 22nd, still in a tie for 2nd in the Big 10, and had beaten 3 ranked teams plus Purdue. Of their 5 losses at the time of his decision to quit, 2 were against ranked opponents.

Below is an excerpt. You can find the full article in the IndyStar archives.

"Indiana president Adam Herbert said he had planned to wait until after the season ended to evaluate whether the 45-year-old Davis would return as coach next year, but Davis wouldn't wait.

Herbert said Davis initiated discussions before the Connecticut game on Feb. 4. They met again afterward and eventually agreed on an $800,000 buyout - a hefty price for an athletics department that has run a multimillion-dollar deficit in recent years. Davis was scheduled to earn about $800,000 with outside income over the final two years of his contract." ~Associated Press, originally published by the IndyStar.

Cignetti hasn't won a game here yet, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.
I agree that we should be cautiously optimistic. However I am not fond of arrogance and inflated egos. Like to see a bit of humility right now.

Josh Shertz a program builder like coach Cignetti
His win % at the D2 level was better than Bruce Pearl had at Southern Indiana and now if you take his overall win % he's with the likes of Roy Williams, Dean Smith, and Coach K. Anyone with a win % in the high .700 is a big time hire. Bob Knight had a win % of .702 and he was pretty darn good too.

His win % at the D2 level was better than Bruce Pearl had at Southern Indiana and now if you take his overall win % he's with the likes of Roy Williams, Dean Smith, and Coach K. Anyone with a win % in the high .700 is a big time hire. Bob Knight had a win % of .702 and he was pretty darn good too.
He's intriguing for sure. Would be a risk but we might be getting one of the best tacticians in the game. I think after the Archie and Woody debacles most are going to want a sure thing.

As things play out this season and perhaps next season, a coach on the rise is Amir Abdul-Rahim.
42 years old, he is in his 1st season at university of south Florida. And has them in 1st place in the American Athletic Conference. They finished 7th last season with a losing record.
He arrived from Kennesaw State where he coached for 5 seasons. His last season he took them to the NCAA tourney and also gave IU a good, close game in Bloomington.
Historically, I dont remember any coaching staff having success at those schools. Kind of a graveyard for coaches.
This guy has it figured out.

As things play out this season and perhaps next season, a coach on the rise is Amir Abdul-Rahim.
42 years old, he is in his 1st season at university of south Florida. And has them in 1st place in the American Athletic Conference. They finished 7th last season with a losing record.
He arrived from Kennesaw State where he coached for 5 seasons. His last season he took them to the NCAA tourney and also gave IU a good, close game in Bloomington.
Historically, I dont remember any coaching staff having success at those schools. Kind of a graveyard for coaches.
This guy has it figured out.
Kennesaw State = Pam Whitten connection. Basketball is an afterthought at those schools compared to Football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT