ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic coaching list….

Offensive Efficiency​

Dusty May FIU 2024 12th currently.
2023 15th. 2022 67.

Chris Beard Ole Miss Texas 2024 currently 84th 2023 33, 2022 86.

Bruce Pearl Auburn currently 14th
2023 131, 2022 63.

Mike Woodson Indiana currently 168th 2023 52, 2022 150.

Sanctimonious doesn't fit you well, you just look like an ass. My statement stands. Hopefully, you and those who agree with you will never be in a position where we have a 3 year rotation and the dismal state of candidates that comes with constant turnover. Doesn't seem like you can recognize that though.

And you call me an ass! Wow, totally unaware aren't you?

You made a statement that I disagreed with and said so but you once again, were totally clueless to my reference so I helped you out.

Unless you have a crystal ball, you have no basis to make your statement.

Would love Beard, but as discussed in a previous thread, if Whitten said “no on Fitz” to Dolson, then have to believe it would be “no”on Beard also.

So, let’s take a look at Fitz’ good friend, Chris Collins. He was one of my hot takes back when Archie got hired in ‘17. Has really shown a penchant for adapting to his personnel having lost some of his better recruits in Kopp, Nance and Young over 2 seasons while then getting them into the tourney with Boo Buie, Ty Berry and Audige last year. He’s made Nicholson a serviceable pick/roll big too, who seems content with his role. Not to mention finding an instant portal starter like Langborg from Princeton. Unless they collapse, they will make the tourney a second year in a row, which is pretty big accomplishment at a place where that’s never been done. And finally, he lets his assistants actually coach. Not just recruit.

Offensive Efficiency​

Dusty May FIU 2024 12th currently.
2023 15th. 2022 67.

Chris Beard Ole Miss Texas 2024 currently 84th 2023 33, 2022 86.

Bruce Pearl Auburn currently 14th
2023 131, 2022 63.

Mike Woodson Indiana currently 168th 2023 52, 2022 150.
Maybe they should do what the Cubs did, hire him and then inform Woody, lol

Last edited:
Reactions: ndhuntington
Would love Beard, but as discussed in a previous thread, if Whitten said “no on Fitz” to Dolson, then have to believe it would be “no”on Beard also.

So, let’s take a look at Fitz’ good friend, Chris Collins. He was one of my hot takes back when Archie got hired in ‘17. Has really shown a penchant for adapting to his personnel having lost some of his better recruits in Kopp, Nance and Young over 2 seasons while then getting them into the tourney with Boo Buie, Ty Berry and Audige last year. He’s made Nicholson a serviceable pick/roll big too, who seems content with his role. Not to mention finding an instant portal starter like Langborg from Princeton. Unless they collapse, they will make the tourney a second year in a row, which is pretty big accomplishment at a place where that’s never been done. And finally, he lets his assistants actually coach. Not just recruit.
I could see Whitten screwing it up as well. She'd prolly be all for keeping Woodson 2-3 more years with below mediocre results than hiring a good coach. I mean... You can already tell.

I could see Whitten screwing it up as well. She'd prolly be all for keeping Woodson 2-3 more years with below mediocre results than hiring a good coach. I mean... You can already tell.
What role does she have in hiring a basketball coach? I was under the impression that decision would be made by the BOT and the AD?

Guess you weren’t around when Herbert inserted himself into the hiring of Sampson due to the “optics” of having fired Davis.
Yes I was around but I didn’t know the president of the university made the ultimate decision.

I imagine she has to sign off on the coach that Dolson picks. She can be as involved as she wants, from very (Herbert) to little (McRobbie).

However, it seems Quinn Buckner and his buddies pick the coach as of three years ago.

IU athletics is such a joke.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I imagine she has to sign off on the coach that Dolson picks. She can be as involved as she wants, from very (Herbert) to little (McRobbie).

However, it seems Quinn Buckner and his buddies pick the coach as of three years ago.

IU athletics is such a joke.
Bingo. And jist have a feeling Whitten wont want anything to do with Beard. Even though charges were dropped. Loony whacko administration has always been and will continue to be the reason this program will suck going forward.

Last edited:
I think Whitten was the force behind either forcing, or providing cover, for Dolson in football. I believe our next coach will be a good hire. She's not weak.
But coach isn't going anywhere for another year. No school would ditch him already. None. If he turns it around he stays, otherwise gone near end of next season. So coach speculation needs to be anticipating who's available in March 2025.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
I think Whitten was the force behind either forcing, or providing cover, for Dolson in football. I believe our next coach will be a good hire. She's not weak.
But coach isn't going anywhere for another year. No school would ditch him already. None. If he turns it around he stays, otherwise gone near end of next season. So coach speculation needs to be anticipating who's available in March 2025.
Then IU can struggle for 2 more years of this type of Mike Davis basketball.

Chris Holtmann is on the hot seat so is Kenny Payne the more Indiana waits on Woodson the better the chance May, Beard, or Pearl leave. Lousville and Ohio State are good jobs.

Chris Holtmann is on the hot seat so is Kenny Payne the more Indiana waits on Woodson the better the chance May, Beard, or Pearl leave. Lousville and Ohio State are good jobs.
Yet they dont think of this. OSU and UL dont have the loons IU does making the decisions so they will fire and hire while we stick with Woodson and go 13-16 7-13 next year. Its why losing out is way better in the end then winning 4/5 more games. People just think about this weekend, when they need to think about next year and beyond.

Reactions: ndhuntington
Bingo. And jist have a feeling Whitten wont want anything to do with Beard. Even though charges were dropped. Loony whacko administration has always been and will continue to be the reason this program will suck going forward.
Yea. It doesn’t seem like she would like Beard for obvious reasons — probably won’t click and I’m sure she views her role as protecting IU’s image. Hire him and she gets a lot of questions she doesn’t want. Beard would have to push for the job, and that doesn’t seem likely.

The Cignetti search and hire was pretty good. Gives me some hope.

That said there is something institutional about IU athletics that is more than the President. Bad hires, no accountability, meddling — it’s has screwed us up for 30 yrs.

Yea. It doesn’t seem like she would like Beard for obvious reasons — probably won’t click and I’m sure she views her role as protecting IU’s image. Hire him and she gets a lot of questions she doesn’t want. Beard would have to push for the job, and that doesn’t seem likely.

That said there is something institutional about IU athletics that is more than the President. Bad hires, no accountability, meddling — it’s has screwed us up for 30 yrs.
Auburn and Houston (ranked top 10) are quite content with their coaches....neither of which would be accepted at IU. St. John's isn't ranked..but they too are likely quite satisfied. IU might be empty-handed...but no dirt under the fingernails...so I guess we are setting pretty?

Cignetti hasn't won a game here yet, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
Auburn and Houston (ranked top 10) are quite content with their coaches....neither of which would be accepted at IU. St. John's isn't ranked..but they too are likely quite satisfied. IU might be empty-handed...but no dirt under the fingernails...so I guess we are setting pretty?
Exactly.

Should have hired Pitino in early 2000s (he was interested). Should have not self-reported Kelvin for something so petty and tried to work with him to fix some of his issues (like it or not, this is how it works) because he’s is a great coach. There are a bunch of other should haves too. Oh well.

Jay Wright is retired. He's 62, and by retiring has already said "I'm done with coaching." He has all the money he will ever need. Why would Jay Wright come out of retirement back to the grind of a HC job to try to execute a rebuild that 5 coaches since RMK have been so far unable to do?

I honestly don't know why Woodson did it other than out of a sense of duty. I don't think he would have done it for any other program.
He wouldn’t have ever been asked anywhere else as far as a high major program

• Haha
Reactions: GThomas
He wouldn’t have ever been asked anywhere else as far as a high major program
So true. But he once donned an IU uniform, which makes him uniquely qualified to coach the Hoosiers ... or so Dolson thought.

I seriously doubt if Pres Whitten made any sort of “move” regarding Allen but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if she took the opportunity last fall to tell the AD she was, let’s say, rather underwhelmed with the overall performance of the football program.

Given the comparatively much greater historical success of the basketball program, I can’t imagine she’s very pleased with its performance either.

I respect everyone’s comments here, but to me it is obvious that IU should have hired Alford in 2000. He’d have been our Matt Painter. I understand that his record at Iowa, UCLA, etc was good but not great, but I think he did as well as Painter would have done uf Purdue hadn’t hired him. It’s not as good for IU now as it would have been in 2000, but it’s still the right hire.

I'm with you. I'd sacrifice this season if it brought about a coaching change. Short-term pain for long-term gain.
They should have done that 20 years ago.

You know what they say…”the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT