ADVERTISEMENT

Ramsey is bad

Ramsey did not have a good game. Just from a coaching standpoint I don't think any one player gives me any great expectations.

Reactions: Lillyr66
Ramsey is part of the reason we had to come back!

Sure he is the reason. IU was so far down the usual conservative play calling loosened up and what do you know . . . touchdown! The game is tied, IU has the ball on what should be the final drive for a winning score (only needed 3) and poof . . . back to total conservatism and three runs up the gut . . . punt . . . 70 yard strike . . . game over. Peyton is part of the reason for the come back and he was a big part of the reason IU was playing from behind all night. IU lost to the youngest team in the conference who had not won a conference game this year . . . there can be no excuses.

Reactions: iulb
Ramsey isn't great but he isn't terrible by any measure. He didn't call the play last night but he did throw the two best balls I have seen from him all year. That deep strike over Hale's shoulder was a thing of beauty.

Reactions: ESalum86
Ramsey isn't great but he isn't terrible by any measure. He didn't call the play last night but he did throw the two best balls I have seen from him all year. That deep strike over Hale's shoulder was a thing of beauty.

He had a couple of nice ones in the 4th quarter. Unfortunately he missed on a couple in the 1st that resulted in field goals instead of touchdowns. He also threw a very bad pick in the 4th.

Reactions: IUgradman
He had a couple of nice ones in the 4th quarter. Unfortunately he missed on a couple in the 1st that resulted in field goals instead of touchdowns. He also threw a very bad pick in the 4th.

I couldn't see what happened on that INT and didn't watch a replay. That looked awful, did he slip or did a wet ball slip in his hand?

I couldn't see what happened on that INT and didn't watch a replay. That looked awful, did he slip or did a wet ball slip in his hand?

I didn't see him slip. I couldn't say whether the ball slipped in his hand but he forced a ball into coverage and it wasnt a good throw. At that point a field goal wouldn't have been bad and would have negated the need to go for 2 and would have given IU the lead on the next td.

He didn't slip and the ball didn't slip out of his hand. FS1 followed up with a clip of Ramsey and the coaches and the receiver having a discussion about the route (on the Minn int). Miscommunication on the route. Courtsense, I agree the throw to Hale was spectacular. However, many of his other throws were behind receivers just enough to prevent the catch and/or any yards after on those that were completed. One throw (to Westbrook I think) over the middle was so high, Westbrook made an awesome catch but could have been out for the season had the defender been there for a solid hit as he came down. I've been backing PR all season and the coaches' decision to play him over Penix. Despite the great throws during the comeback, PR did not play well for 3/4 of the game imho.

I sometimes wonder if there needs to be more tough love from coach Allen. I'm all for team unity but the coaches aren't your buddies.

Perhaps. I despise Dantonio and yet, he is a winner. I can't stand Harbaugh and yet, he is a winner. Every time I hear someone singing Urban's praises (I live in FL and some here still rue the day he left) I feel sick and yet, he is a winner. I think Coach Allen is a great guy and a great example for the IU football players and fans and yet . . . . .

Reactions: IUgradman
Perhaps. I despise Dantonio and yet, he is a winner. I can't stand Harbaugh and yet, he is a winner. Every time I hear someone singing Urban's praises (I live in FL and some here still rue the day he left) I feel sick and yet, he is a winner. I think Coach Allen is a great guy and a great example for the IU football players and fans and yet . . . . .
We had a guy that no one liked. He was mean to players and caused trouble around town. He led us to 2 consecutive bowl games. We fired him.

He has no anticipation. By the time he realizes a receiver is open, so does the Defense.

He does best on timing or just post routes.

Even when he completes passes, the receivers are covered so well they don't get good yards-after-catch. He just waits too long to throw.

I'll give him one thing - he can run a little bit. Need to call more designed running plays for him.

He has no anticipation. By the time he realizes a receiver is open, so does the Defense.

He does best on timing or just post routes.

Even when he completes passes, the receivers are covered so well they don't get good yards-after-catch. He just waits too long to throw.

I'll give him one thing - he can run a little bit. Need to call more designed running plays for him.
I agree and that’s what I noticed his biggest issue is. He has no pre-snap anticipation. You hit the nail on the head. I was looking for the right words and anticipation is the key word. Minnesota was lining up all night in the most obvious defenses. They disgused nothing. They rarely blitzed. The ran 3 coverages and didn’t adjust, and Ramsey still rarely anticipated where to go with the football. Morgan on Minnesota was anticipating. Morgan was calling some of his own audibles. Morgan new where to go pre-snap. And that’s a redshirt freshman backup. That should raise questions about the QB coach even more so than Ramsey IMHO. The fact that Ramsey doesn’t have to ability to audible or recognize obvious coverages pre-snap should raise questions about the QB coaching room, especially when a redshirt freshman on the other team is doing all of those things.

He didn't slip and the ball didn't slip out of his hand. FS1 followed up with a clip of Ramsey and the coaches and the receiver having a discussion about the route (on the Minn int). Miscommunication on the route. Courtsense, I agree the throw to Hale was spectacular. However, many of his other throws were behind receivers just enough to prevent the catch and/or any yards after on those that were completed. One throw (to Westbrook I think) over the middle was so high, Westbrook made an awesome catch but could have been out for the season had the defender been there for a solid hit as he came down. I've been backing PR all season and the coaches' decision to play him over Penix. Despite the great throws during the comeback, PR did not play well for 3/4 of the game imho.
Accurate assessment of Ramsey

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT