ADVERTISEMENT

Racist July 4th attack at Lake Monroe

Why? Was it not state property? Isn’t anyone allowed to use state recreational areas? Heck I am a resident of FL now but pay nonresident access fees to go to state parks when I come back to Indiana. I don’t understand what is your point.
You know exactly my point, why don’t you go hang out in pinellas county at midnight;)

Are statues racist? Is the statue of Frederick Douglas racist?

Does BLM care about black lives? I’ll completely disagree with the stated reasons why people are protesting in this country. Sure sounds good though.

Australians in the mix of course!!

We don't know who tore down the statue of Douglass or why.

As to are statues racist, of course they can be. That's exactly why some of them were put up. I know you know the history of why there are so many confederate statues (more than Union statues) and their sudden appearance as Jim Crow laws were struck down. If a burning cross can be racist, a statue can be.

Reactions: travlinhoosier

As to are statues racist, of course they can be. That's exactly why some of them were put up. I know you know the history of why there are so many confederate statues (more than Union statues) and their sudden appearance as Jim Crow laws were struck down. If a burning cross can be racist, a statue can be.
What about a statue of a burning cross? o_O

Why? Was it not state property? Isn’t anyone allowed to use state recreational areas? Heck I am a resident of FL now but pay nonresident access fees to go to state parks when I come back to Indiana. I don’t understand what is your point.

The area they were going to is private property. Long ago it was the area of a water slide. There was a gathering there to watch the lunar eclipse and the owner of the property gave the people permission to be there.

The area they were going to is private property. Long ago it was the area of a water slide. There was a gathering there to watch the lunar eclipse and the owner of the property gave the people permission to be there.

Ok. I can get it somewhat if they were in fact trespassing on private property, although initial reports indicated otherwise. Regardless, their response was inappropriate and should have been handled in a more rational manor. Especially since there did not appear to be any intention of wrongdoing by the guy trespassing. Why not call the DNR or county sheriff if you have people trespassing on private property?

I still have property in southern Indiana and have to have deer hunters ran off it routinely in the fall. More often than not, they are people that don’t know the property line and leave when told. Others, know they aren’t supposed to there and become belligerent at which point we let the authorities handle it. Don’t get me wrong...when I encounter them, I’m packing a weapon but not once in 50+ years have I felt like I might have to use it.

Last edited:
Ok. I can get it somewhat if they were in fact trespassing on private property, although initial reports indicated otherwise. Regardless, their response was inappropriate and should have been handled in a more rational manor. Especially since there did appear to be any intention of wrongdoing by the guy trespassing. Why not call the DNR or county sheriff if you have people trespassing on private property?

I still have property in southern Indiana and have to have deer hunters ran off it routinely in the fall. More often than not, they are people that don’t know the property line and leave when told. Others, know they aren’t supposed to there and become belligerent at which point we let the authorities handle it. Don’t get me wrong...when I encounter them, I’m packing a weapon but not once in 50+ years have I felt like I might have to use it.

Yep, by all we know the guys in the video were specifically trying to create a problem. It was not their property so they had no right to stop Booker. We do not know what happened before the cameras started recording and I was led to believe there was a discussion on the confederate flag. Not the all white one that they used to end the war, but the other one. So we don't know what was done during that part. But at the moment it is a bad look for the White guys. Even if something was said earlier, it doesn't justify their reactions or their racist words.

Yep, by all we know the guys in the video were specifically trying to create a problem. It was not their property so they had no right to stop Booker. We do not know what happened before the cameras started recording and I was led to believe there was a discussion on the confederate flag. Not the all white one that they used to end the war, but the other one. So we don't know what was done during that part. But at the moment it is a bad look for the White guys. Even if something was said earlier, it doesn't justify their reactions or their racist words.
Do you know what are the expected charges?

Do you know what are the expected charges?

Nope. The DNR is investigating and hasn't turned it over. Continuing my "I am not a Mark" theme, I am not sure what charges would fit. I see a lot of Facebook posts to call the prosecutor and demand action, I'm not about to do that as I have no idea what the action options are.

A friend knows the person that was hit by the car last night, he said that she suffered a concussion but is doing OK.

WXIN has a vidoe showing the beginning. The passenger gets out and removes a scooter blocking the road. They get back in, the driver accelerated quickly hitting people on the other side.

IANAM* bit the defense of being surrounded and frightened seems like it will be hurt by the video.

*I am not a Mark

This is where the insidiousness comes in. The videos of the Fields attack in Charlottesville clearly showed that he was facing the protestors and parked with his engine revving, prior to accelerating and driving right into the people who were basically walking in and along the quiet deserted street coming towards him.

It's a downtown street which had parked cars and no vehicular traffic by design. It was part of the prescribed route the authorities designated for that group of protestors to follow to return to their staging area.

The reason they were able to get such a clear view of events was that state police helicopters were hovering over the 2 groups, and were able to capture surveillance film of the whole sequence. That's something bystanders would not have known to record since people were just walking and joking, totally oblivious to any impending danger...

If you watch the full unedited video you see Fields gun it into the crowd, people scatter and then people start banging on his car. He then backs up at a high rate of speed with a crowd of people chasing after him. What happened on right-wing and worse media sites was that the video they used was edited to start with people banging on his car and him backing up. The narrative was of course that the "mob" attacked him and he panicked.

The disinformation had to have been deliberate, just like the infamous Biden tape that edited down an hour-long question and answer period into a brief edit where Biden seemed to be "admitting" his role in getting the Prosecutor (Shokin) fired. Doing that allows you to frame your own description of events, facts be damned. When you're working with an audience desperate for confirmation bias, then you don't have to worry about anyone doing any fact-checking on their own...

Last edited:
I bet those that still read the basketball boards know this. The HT has this paragraph in a story about protests in Bloomington again tonight:

They also condemned two local incidents involving the mistreatment of Black residents that occurred earlier this month, including a July 1 incident involving Black Indiana University basketball players at Lake Monroe.​

Truth be known, my feelings toward the confederate flag and most any statue symbolizing the war effort in the south is that of resistance. They lost. Symbols mean different things to different people, that ambiguity isn’t lost on me.

With that being said, its bordering lunacy at this point. According to our now strict and stringent guidelines of life, the only statues that should remain are of Jesus Christ himself. There is no perfect man which brings me to my next point.....

Someone on the board recently made a statement refuting flags, symbols, statues altogether. I immediately thought it was a crazy idea. Maybe they’re right, maybe they wrong?

Our flag, massive baggage right there. A glimpse into our brief history, the goad and the bad. Should we dismantle it? Should we trash it and run from those things? Should we honor it?

Truth be known, my feelings toward the confederate flag and most any statue symbolizing the war effort in the south is that of resistance. They lost. Symbols mean different things to different people, that ambiguity isn’t lost on me.

With that being said, its bordering lunacy at this point. According to our now strict and stringent guidelines of life, the only statues that should remain are of Jesus Christ himself. There is no perfect man which brings me to my next point.....

Someone on the board recently made a statement refuting flags, symbols, statues altogether. I immediately thought it was a crazy idea. Maybe they’re right, maybe they wrong?

Our flag, massive baggage right there. A glimpse into our brief history, the goad and the bad. Should we dismantle it? Should we trash it and run from those things? Should we honor it?

Honestly I have no answer except I think people that have never had a seat at the table in our country now demand one. I think if we bring them in and have a good faith discussion on our symbols we might do a whole lot better. People who feel ignored tend to grow more bitter.

We seem to be afraid of the conversation.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
This incident was front and center on Joy Reid’s segment of MSNBC tonight. She interviewed the Mayor of Bloomington, who did a decent enough job. Altogether, it was a bad look for Bloomington though. She brought up the racist past of the area, pointing out that in the 1920’s nearly 1/4 of males in Monroe County were members of the Klan. The segment also showed the protests on Monday, which made me proud. God, I love Bloomington and it’s unfortunate a few idiots put a great town in such a bad light.

Saw on ABC Nightly News tonight (yes we hit the big time) that the FBI is involved and investigating it as a possible hate crime...And on Fox 59 they just showed pics of the people in the car from last night,as well as their complete license plate...

But these guys may even be more brazen than our Pittsboro Punks...

So these 7 guys from Wash State were harassing a Black family on a beach in Oregon on the 4th of July. But these guys took it to a completely different level, because they decided to attack the cops who responded to the couples' request. This is bizarre- a bunch of guys with Russian/Eastern European names giving Nazi salutes and shouting white power...

"Police said that the men allegedly yelled racial slurs at a black family and used Nazi salutes while people spent Independence Day on the beach in Lincoln City, southwest of Portland.

The men have been arrested on suspicion of charges including riot, disorderly conduct, interfering with police and possession of illegal fireworks, according to The Oregonian.

Police said that officers had to form a barricade between the group and the family to allow them to safely leave the beach, the report said.

According to the newspaper, the group of men then allegedly challenged police to a fight and set off illegal fireworks."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/seven-men-arrested-shouting-racist-183749548.html

Whoda thunk it? Russian Nazi methheads playing on a beach in Oregon...

Honestly I have no answer except I think people that have never had a seat at the table in our country now demand one. I think if we bring them in and have a good faith discussion on our symbols we might do a whole lot better. People who feel ignored tend to grow more bitter.

I don’t think people want a conversation about symbols. They want obedience. Meanwhile, any attempt to carry on a conversation about BLM puts people’s jobs, property, and even lives in danger.

Saw on ABC Nightly News tonight (yes we hit the big time) that the FBI is involved and investigating it as a possible hate crime...And on Fox 59 they just showed pics of the people in the car from last night,as well as their complete license plate...

But these guys may even be more brazen than our Pittsboro Punks...

So these 7 guys from Wash State were harassing a Black family on a beach in Oregon on the 4th of July. But these guys took it to a completely different level, because they decided to attack the cops who responded to the couples' request. This is bizarre- a bunch of guys with Russian/Eastern European names giving Nazi salutes and shouting white power...

"Police said that the men allegedly yelled racial slurs at a black family and used Nazi salutes while people spent Independence Day on the beach in Lincoln City, southwest of Portland.

The men have been arrested on suspicion of charges including riot, disorderly conduct, interfering with police and possession of illegal fireworks, according to The Oregonian.

Police said that officers had to form a barricade between the group and the family to allow them to safely leave the beach, the report said.

According to the newspaper, the group of men then allegedly challenged police to a fight and set off illegal fireworks."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/seven-men-arrested-shouting-racist-183749548.html

Whoda thunk it? Russian Nazi methheads playing on a beach in Oregon...

And some of you refuse to believe the death penalty is a good idea... here they are:

mugshots_1593982148037.png

Never had a seat at the table, Marv? Barack Obama was twice President.

This incident was front and center on Joy Reid’s segment of MSNBC tonight. She interviewed the Mayor of Bloomington, who did a decent enough job. Altogether, it was a bad look for Bloomington though. She brought up the racist past of the area, pointing out that in the 1920’s nearly 1/4 of males in Monroe County were members of the Klan. The segment also showed the protests on Monday, which made me proud. God, I love Bloomington and it’s unfortunate a few idiots put a great town in such a bad light.
And especially since none of these yahoos are even from Bloomington.

when the guy moved the scooter out of the middle of the street, protesters started jumping on his car way way more so than he drove into anyone.

and wouldn't let go.

protesters basically tried to commandeer the guys car against his will, because they decided he had no rights, and they were in charge of him and everybody else..

let's also note this was a mass spreader event, he was old, and they were literally a threat to his life. (of which the selfish self righteous punks could care less).

protesters in search of a cause are out control, have absolutely zero respect for others, and are totally missing the big pic of what's wrong with things today, because the media and others are channeling them in the direction they want them channeled, and away from all those men and women behind the curtain.

Dem swing votes switch to GOP with every out of control protestors/rioters video that comes out.

on a side note, i now notice a lot of the videos i now see of the incident are editing out the protestors jumping onto the car and hanging on rather than being hit, as his running into them is a better story i guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: jet812

any arrests?

This all smells like shit to me, and may well end up backfiring spectacularly.

That such a longtime local activist individual just was randomly assaulted by innocently walking along a Monroe county trail... which is reported as a "lynching" by the victim himself on Facebook.

Well... that sets my BS detector of understanding random numbers off the charts.

Some people will buy anything if it's their flavor.

I'll wait and see... if I were a gambler (I am)..... I'd bet on the current news being bullshit.

As someone who lived - and loved - living in Bloomington for 6 years. 25%+ of that town is filled with literally insane people.

Last edited:

That such a longtime local activist individual just was randomly assaulted by innocently walking along a Monroe county trail... which is reported as a "lynching" by the victim himself on Facebook.

Well... that sets my BS detector of understanding random numbers off the charts.

I'll wait and see... if I were a gambler (I am)..... I'd bet on the current news being bullshit.

As someone who lived - and loved - living in Bloomington for 6 years. 25%+ of that town is filled with literally insane people.

I get what you mean that the involvement of an activist raises some questions. But even activists can be attacked. I do not think there is a lessening of probability for activists. Bloomington people may have recognized him, but this did not involve locals.

My understanding was there was an initial encounter, then Booker went back to talk to them to "smooth things over". That led to what we see recorded. I doubt most people would have gone back the second time.

So maybe he went back to entice them to act, maybe he was earnest and that extra interaction set them off. If either of those scenarios are true, it does not fundamentally change the narrative. Even if they warned him they would kill him and he went back, it is still their fault.

I am willing to personally wait on the investigation in the event Booker or someone in his party made physical contact first. But there are not many scenarios where they come out in favor of the aggressors in the video. I would not think anyone would be dumb enough to play those parts in a completely staged video. But people do crazy things.

Add in the Dee Davis incident, and now the one involving IU players I cannot find anyone talking about, and it has been a bad July.

Nope. The DNR is investigating and hasn't turned it over. Continuing my "I am not a Mark" theme, I am not sure what charges would fit. I see a lot of Facebook posts to call the prosecutor and demand action, I'm not about to do that as I have no idea what the action options are.

A friend knows the person that was hit by the car last night, he said that she suffered a concussion but is doing OK.

Just a guess...but Intimidation, assault and criminal confinement.

Ugh...Joy Reid is the furthest thing from an objective reporter. I bet that was awful

Did she mention that the fatass rednecks had no connection to IU and do not even live in Btown?

This whole situation pisses me off to no end.

My BS detector went off from the get go. Starting with the video starting with the confrontation already in full aggro mode of the red necks, this guy being an activist, only having one side of the story, no arrests, no major news picking it up....

Sure those red necks are despicable people but the whole thing reeks of a set up.

Marvin, I haven’t heard of an incident involving basketball players but a week or two ago a boat with some IU football players was video phoned yelling at a boat of Trump supporters. Like the video posted in this thread, we don’t see what led up to the incident and threads on the football board have been deleted. Video is still on Twitter as far as I know and you may be able to find it by searching.

Marvin, I haven’t heard of an incident involving basketball players but a week or two ago a boat with some IU football players was video phoned yelling at a boat of Trump supporters. Like the video posted in this thread, we don’t see what led up to the incident and threads on the football board have been deleted. Video is still on Twitter as far as I know and you may be able to find it by searching.

I will look, bit I know the HT mentioned 2 other racial incidents with one involving IU basketball players. But they may have it wrong.

We’ll need more than this to hear the whole story. Either way those rednecks have probably been fired and rightfully so for their language on that video.

It’s odd to me that:
  1. Booker felt scared for his life yet didn’t run once freed and instead tried to provoke that fat hillbilly into calling him the N word
  2. Booker was there with five friends and these friends stood idly by while he was held against a small tree and only then started filming?
  3. There weren’t any arrests made on scene if there were five witnesses supporting booker’s account vs those of drunken red necks
the whole thing stinks

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Hell, let it go, nobody got hurt, just some locals letting off some steam!

We’ll need more than this to hear the whole story. Either way those rednecks have probably been fired and rightfully so for their language on that video.

It’s odd to me that:
  1. Booker felt scared for his life yet didn’t run once freed and instead tried to provoke that fat hillbilly into calling him the N word
  2. Booker was there with five friends and these friends stood idly by while he was held against a small tree and only then started filming?
  3. There weren’t any arrests made on scene if there were five witnesses supporting booker’s account vs those of drunken red necks
the whole thing stinks

What do you theorize happened, was it staged? I do not have an answer to 1). To 2), it does not surprise me someone would wait to start recording. Do you record every encounter? 2And we do not know the friends. They might be real life characters from Big Bang Theory, people whose only contribution in a physical altercation is bleeding profusely. 3) this is state DNR. I am sure they are trained police BUT I also do not think this is their area of specialty. They may be more careful to cross their Is and dot their Ts.

I agree we do not know nearly everything and something may be amiss. But I am not willing to commit hard core "hang them" or "Jesse Smollett" based on what we know. Bit unless these guys are willing to risk jail, I cannot see how staging is likely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT