ADVERTISEMENT

Rabjohns says Carey will get a chance to make his pitch for the job….

I think Carey could make a strong case for OC anywhere. Not sure about HC. I'd be OK with him as HC, but I know many wouldn't.

We need a home run hire everyone can get behind. Find a Kalen Deboer. A proven winner and I don't really care at what level.

The last 2 HC's selected without a search didn't work out so great, albeit Lynch was a unique circumstance (that said, you simply don't hire Bill Lynch--you make him interim and then do a search).

IU has never been a strong enough program for there to be a good shot the right guy is already on staff. That was my problem with Allen from day one. Why not do a search? The chance that we had the right guy to lead the program already on staff somewhere was between slim and none. The program hasn't been successful enough for that to be a reasonable belief. Here they're doing a search but if they land on Carey, my point still stands.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think Carey could make a strong case for OC anywhere. Not sure about HC. I'd be OK with him as HC, but I know many wouldn't.

We need a home run hire everyone can get behind. Find a Kalen Deboer. A proven winner and I don't really care at what level.
Agree. Don’t want him Mediocre at best. Imperative for this hire to get us out of football hell.

My hope is that they are giving him the respect of an interview to not burn the bridge. I’ve admittedly wished for bringing in a defensive coach like Manny Diaz and see if we can retain Carey and Fuentes both to head the offense. Pipe dream, I know.

All the 'woe is us, half the team in the portal!" stuff on here shows 19 out of 20 of us posters wouldn't have anywhere NEAR the stomach to make a coaching, change, even when 19 out of 20 of us were campaigning for it. What did people think would happen? If I'm a player, I'm in the portal, just to cover my bases.

At least Dolson had the nerve to make the move, even if this message board doesn't.

But, the fact that there haven't been just one or two clear candidates and already rumblings that we will get one of our top targets is concerning. Makes me think Dolson didn't have his ducks in a row. Which is the most important part of this, not just the firing.

Hopefully the above is wrong, and Dolson had just a few guys in his sights and he's just nailing down the contract details with one of them. A

Anything else would be a woeful, awful performance by him.

Carey is not going to get the job because of his affiliation with Tom Allen. The question will be "if you wanted Rod Carey you could have saved 15 million and kept Tom Allen." That and fan sentiment makes him an impossible hire. That being said he might actually be the guy with the highest upside for IU football. He is really experienced, was really good at NIU, and has dramatically improved everything he's touched at IU including the offensive line last year, the offense this year, and Sorsby this year. He clearly is a high level coach. My guess is he'll end up the OC at a MAC school next year and do really well and then get another head job. l Would love a new coach to keep him and Bostad and even Tucker who did a great job developing the receivers. Doubt any of that will happen unless somebody who is not a head coach is hired.

All the 'woe is us, half the team in the portal!" stuff on here shows 19 out of 20 of us posters wouldn't have anywhere NEAR the stomach to make a coaching, change, even when 19 out of 20 of us were campaigning for it. What did people think would happen? If I'm a player, I'm in the portal, just to cover my bases.

At least Dolson had the nerve to make the move, even if this message board doesn't.

But, the fact that there haven't been just one or two clear candidates and already rumblings that we will get one of our top targets is concerning. Makes me think Dolson didn't have his ducks in a row. Which is the most important part of this, not just the firing.

Hopefully the above is wrong, and Dolson had just a few guys in his sights and he's just nailing down the contract details with one of them. A

Anything else would be a woeful, awful performance by him.
I like half of your post :). Dolson had the nerve to fire Allen which due to the buyout, I didn't think he would so props to him for that. I will also say the Dolson does a really good job of getting donations to fund buyouts of Miller and Allen which is probably how he got the job in the first place. I think anyone getting concerned that we don't have rumblings on candidates at this stage is premature - we fired Allen on Sunday, today is Tuesday. To me the key date is December 4 because that is when portal opens and I think you need to have a coach in place by then to maximize what you can get out of portal

I'm not concerned about half of our team being in the portal. If your a player, that just makes sense right now. And, at the end of the day, we won 3 games with these guys.

I like half of your post :). Dolson had the nerve to fire Allen which due to the buyout, I didn't think he would so props to him for that. I will also say the Dolson does a really good job of getting donations to fund buyouts of Miller and Allen which is probably how he got the job in the first place. I think anyone getting concerned that we don't have rumblings on candidates at this stage is premature - we fired Allen on Sunday, today is Tuesday. To me the key date is December 4 because that is when portal opens and I think you need to have a coach in place by then to maximize what you can get out of portal

I'm not concerned about half of our team being in the portal. If your a player, that just makes sense right now. And, at the end of the day, we won 3 games with these guys.
Hope you are right.

I guess it's reasonable to first assume most of the internet stuff is pure clickbait, then to assume Dolson didn't have a plan at all or that his plan A,B,C fell apart right away. He has done some good things, it's true.

Only concern is that when Dolson fired Archie he thought he had Stevens. But then oops. Hope he learned from that experience and has really verified the interest in the job by his top candidates this time around and also has a Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C that would all be good choices. Is this what the "search firm" helps with? Did we have one in the Archie replacement?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT