ADVERTISEMENT

I’m starting to get the feeling it’s gonna be….

BayernFan

Hall of Famer
Sep 4, 2001
Tristan da cunha
Chuck Martin. Can’t go wrong with Miami (OH) right?? 16 years of HC experience in Michigan and Ohio. OC at ND in 2012 when the Irish took a 12-0 record into the BCS championship Game. Then took over a floundering Miami program and brought it to respectability and has a 10-2 team now. Familiar with Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio recruiting.

Chuck Martin. Can’t go wrong with Miami (OH) right?? 16 years of HC experience in Michigan and Ohio. OC at ND in 2012 when the Irish took a 12-0 record into the BCS championship Game. Then took over a floundering Miami program and brought it to respectability and has a 10-2 team now. Familiar with Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio recruiting.
I can hardly contain my excitement.

Martin would be better than Tom Allen, but not the best hire in my estimation. To his credit he seems to have gotten it together this year, but it took for ever to get here. To say it was a slow build is understatement. At ND he was a terrific DB coach, and thoroughly mediocre as an OC. He's an above average recruiter and he's smarter than Tom Allen. But I don't rate his as high as Jason Candle. Both teams have similar talent and Candle has done a lot more with it.

Reactions: red hornet
Why are you getting the feeling its him?

Reactions: JBT Assoc
No inside into. He just seems to check off boxes that I think IU has in mind.

Plus IU likes that Miami Ohio thing on the resumes. Pont, Mallory, Hoeppner. Especially when the chips are down.

Plus it’s said he has an “interesting” personality. lol.

Miami University. Oxford, OH.

University of Miami is in Florida.

Miami U. grads hate: Miami (OH) or Miami of Ohio.

(Much like University of Indiana drives IU people up a wall.)

Deland McCullough! Welcome back back back again! Definitely would take the OC job. Hahahaha

Candle, Martin, And Hart in that order. Successful head coaches, in the MAC , have done well Moving on . Candle is an offensive coach with a good staff. Toledo is a Blue Blood program and Candle has lifted it even higher. Martin is a proven commodity as a head coach. I love Mike Hart. He could do the job if we gave him enough $ to build a staff. Sadly, we won’t. Go with Candle if we are lucky enough to grit him.

Reactions: red hornet
Mike Hart could probably recruit like a boss. Just don't think he's experienced enough...This job needs a proven winner, IMO.

Reactions: iulb and bang63
Why would he leave a winning situation?

Do you think we would be better off with a coach with recruiting ties to Florida or Texas?

Bayern is having the time of his life with this circus. He lives for these times. He'll be bummed when the finally do pick someone.
Remember in 2004 when IU almost hired Tim Murphy, Harvard head coach? Well he’s still available and still at Harvard. Just won another Ivy League Champiobship.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleMark
Martin would be ok, but I’m hoping for a more splashy hire and a HC with more success.
I prefer to look at the coaches in conferences like the MAC or Sunbelt in terms of their conference records. I think it's important to consider that these guys are often faced with the pressure to fund their programs ( and sometimes their school's entire athletic program) by serving as cannon fodder for P5 teams outside of the conference schedule. They also are more likely to groom a good class by taking their lumps playing young players, developing them into a formidable team as upperclassmen, and then completely rebuilding when they leave. If they're lucky, they make it to the in-conference part of the schedule without having their best players beat to hell in those early road games against the big boys from the SEC, B1G, Big 12, ACC, and PAC schools.

Reactions: bang63 and 76-1
Candle, Martin, And Hart in that order. Successful head coaches, in the MAC , have done well Moving on . Candle is an offensive coach with a good staff. Toledo is a Blue Blood program and Candle has lifted it even higher. Martin is a proven commodity as a head coach. I love Mike Hart. He could do the job if we gave him enough $ to build a staff. Sadly, we won’t. Go with Candle if we are lucky enough to grit him.

No way to Mike Hart.
If he’s so good, let Michigan hire him when Harbaugh leaves after this year. He’s right there and ready to step in and he’s a legacy there. Let him take the UM job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT