ADVERTISEMENT

I’m starting to get the feeling it’s gonna be….

No way to Mike Hart.
If he’s so good, let Michigan hire him when Harbaugh leaves after this year. He’s right there and ready to step in and he’s a legacy there. Let him take the UM job.
If Hart is considered for the job, I would hope IU would insist on a clause requiring a $100 million buyout from UM should he decide down the road to bolt for Ann Arbor. Find out if he's serious about being the football coach at IU or just looking for experience that might be helpful in getting the HC gig at Michigan.

If Hart is considered for the job, I would hope IU would insist on a clause requiring a $100 million buyout from UM should he decide down the road to bolt for Ann Arbor. Find out if he's serious about being the football coach at IU or just looking for experience that might be helpful in getting the HC gig at Michigan.

I don’t think there’s serious interest there. He just has a brief IU connection. That’s why he’s on the list.

Remember in 2004 when IU almost hired Tim Murphy, Harvard head coach? Well he’s still available and still at Harvard. Just won another Ivy League Champiobship.
Good for Murphy. If he would have gotten the IU job in ‘04 he most likely would have been fired by ‘09 with a decimated career W-L record.

I have no idea if Hart would be good or not but he left IU for UM before the 2021 season. Compare and contrast the direction of the two programs since.

I have no idea if Hart would be good or not but he left IU for UM before the 2021 season. Compare and contrast the direction of the two programs since.

I don’t believe there is any correlation. Michigan is Michigan and always recruits elite stars.
Hart’s departure had little to do with IU’s downturn and had minimal impact on Michigan’s rise the last 3 seasons.

Reactions: bang63
If we go with someone with no HC experience I would rather take a gamble on Frye or JaMarcus Shepherd at UW. Both are known as really good recruiters. Shepherd even more so. Syracuse hired Fran Brown, who was the DB coach at GA, but is one of the best recruiters in the country. Maybe that is the way to go in the NIL world.

Reactions: CraigHo
If we go with someone with no HC experience I would rather take a gamble on Frye or JaMarcus Shepherd at UW. Both are known as really good recruiters. Shepherd even more so. Syracuse hired Fran Brown, who was the DB coach at GA, but is one of the best recruiters in the country. Maybe that is the way to go in the NIL world.
He's a position coach. Dude never even got to be an OC anywhere. That he is even being interviewed has made me lose all faith in this process.

He's a position coach. Dude never even got to be an OC anywhere. That he is even being interviewed has made me lose all faith in this process.
Tell that to Syracuse who just hired a guy that has never been more than a DB coach. Sometimes a guy just blows you away in an interview. No harm in giving him an interview. This is your rare chance to interview people from the outside and picking their brain.

Tell that to Syracuse who just hired a guy that has never been more than a DB coach. Sometimes a guy just blows you away in an interview. No harm in giving him an interview. This is your rare chance to interview people from the outside and picking their brain.
No, that's not what interviews are for. Jesus Christ. Also, Good for Syracuse. I look forward to their next coaching search in 3-4 years

Reactions: iulb
I prefer to look at the coaches in conferences like the MAC or Sunbelt in terms of their conference records. I think it's important to consider that these guys are often faced with the pressure to fund their programs ( and sometimes their school's entire athletic program) by serving as cannon fodder for P5 teams outside of the conference schedule. They also are more likely to groom a good class by taking their lumps playing young players, developing them into a formidable team as upperclassmen, and then completely rebuilding when they leave. If they're lucky, they make it to the in-conference part of the schedule without having their best players beat to hell in those early road games against the big boys from the SEC, B1G, Big 12, ACC, and PAC schools.
look south

a la walt bell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT