ADVERTISEMENT

Question

We knew Hartman was out from day one.

OG's injury came AFTER we lost at home to Wisconsin and Nebraska. Played vs UL as well. And Butler. We've only been w/o OG for two Big 10 games. Went 1-1. And yes I know he was out early. But IU played Houston Baptist, SIUE and SE Missouri State during that stretch.

JBJ's injury just happened. IU's had his service's all year. Including the losses at home vs Nebraska and Wisconsin. Had his services vs UL as well. And Butler

Morgan: Only game misses due to injury are the last two. He played significant minutes vs Nebraska, Wisky and UL. All losses.

See a constant theme here? I do. We had all three of those guys during IU's slide of losing 4 of 6 games; with those two wins being against shit ass teams. The four losses? Butler, UL, Nebraska and Wisconsin.

So no, the injuries are not an excuse. Indiana was a borderline NCAAT team BEFORE these injuries. No excuse for that. And certainly not one of injuries.
Spot on

I don't think Westrook is a factor in Billy D. Their best player left for the team they should have beat. Certainlky he felt they they could beat them but I think grew tired of watching Westbrook inefficient meltdowns in crunchtime over the years. I wonder how coaching him feels.

Westbrook is under contract next season and has a player option for 30 mil in 2018-19. I doubt he will be leaving after this season. The trade deadline in the 2017-18 season before his player option summer could be realistic if they fail to start a move back up the standings. Billy D may see the writing on the wall.

The real question is does he want to leave the NBA to return to the NCAA and do it for IU. He can coach out his contract in the NBA and other jobs like Syracuse, UNC and Duke may come open not long after IU if it in fact does open up. Probably another reason IU needs to react quick. They don't need to be looking for a new coach when Boeheim, Roy or K have decided to go to the TV booth.

I think San Diego St. is the place for Crean. Next year will be the last year on fishers contract. Crean could get real tans in southern Cal.

Totally agree. Losing Hartman OG, and now JBJ is asking a lot of any coach. That excuse is very real.
Yea, going forward but we weren't playing well before OG's injury. Plus JB will be back. Unless someone has heard he's OFS, I haven't.

You're changing the discussion. I completely agree with what you're saying.
(Except that at this time, it IS partly about the injuries.)
My comments were about whether the team "tanked" this year prior to the injuries. And whether it did or did not, the injuries have dramatically lowered the team's ceiling, regardless the coaching.
It is still my belief that Crean would not have been fired after this season, nor will he be. Whether or not he SHOULD be is a different discussion.
Ok - I just read what was said differently. My apologies.

Still, I don't see how Glass can keep Crean. As in 2014, this team has talent. But, much like then, they are underperforming drastically. And it's the same song-and-dance: poor defense, careless turnovers.

If people think the state of fan unrest is horrible now, just wait to see it if Crean is retained. It will get ugly.

Last edited:
Totally agree. Losing Hartman OG, and now JBJ is asking a lot of any coach. That excuse is very real.

It is not "very real."

Before the season, everyone said this was Crean's deepest team ever. He actually had 11 guys that could play (12 if you count McRoberts who has seen quite a bit of time).

Take 3 guys off that team and he still has more talent than most teams.

Plus, with only Hartman gone, the team still looked awful most of the time.

Wrong. Whether this team "tanked" before the injuries is speculative. Injuries sometimes ARE excuses.... particularly when the injuries are as significant as are IU's.

Crean isn't out. Wasn't gonna be without the injuries. Much to our chagrin.
We knew Hartman was out from day one.

OG's injury came AFTER we lost at home to Wisconsin and Nebraska. Played vs UL as well. And Butler. We've only been w/o OG for two Big 10 games. Went 1-1. And yes I know he was out early. But IU played Houston Baptist, SIUE and SE Missouri State during that stretch.

JBJ's injury

Haven't had a Hartman all year was your key statement just happened. IU's had his service's all year. Including the losses at home vs Nebraska and Wisconsin. Had his services vs UL as well. And Butler

Morgan: Only game misses due to injury are the last two. He played significant minutes vs Nebraska, Wisky and UL. All losses.

See a constant theme here? I do. We had all three of those guys during IU's slide of losing 4 of 6 games; with those two wins being against shit ass teams. The four losses? Butler, UL, Nebraska and Wisconsin.

So no, the injuries are not an excuse. Indiana was a borderline NCAAT team BEFORE these injuries. No excuse for that. And certainly not one of injuries.
Haven't had Hartman all year was your key statement even though you didn't realize it.

Haven't had Hartman all year was your key statement even though you didn't realize it.

Was preseason top 15 and beat KU and UNC without Hartman.

Why do all these Purdue people want Crean to stay? Think hard....
That is correct. That should show you what preseason rankings substantiate. They might've taken into their equation Hartman not being available, but they didn't take into the equation, that Blackmon, Johnson, and Morgan were all coming off end of the season ending surgeries (Blackmon's prior to the start of last season's start of the Big 10 season. and could not of resume full basketball capabilities until the end of the summer. On top of this, both Davis and the JUCO arrived at Indiana at the end of the summer and missed all of the summer basketball activities. Hartman is probably the most underappreciated basketball player to play at IU in a long time, he rebounded, played defense, took charges , played hurt and was dangerous from the three-point line.

As far as the Purdue people I don't know, maybe ignorance, as Painter is never taken a team to the final four!

Last edited:
Reactions: nagemj02
That is correct. That should show you what preseason rankings substantiate. They might've taken into their equation Hartman not being available, but they didn't take into the equation, that Blackmon, Johnson, and Morgan were all coming off end of the season ending surgeries (Blackmon's prior to the start of last season's start of the Big 10 season. and could not of resume full basketball capabilities until the end of the summer. On top of this, both Davis and the JUCO arrived at Indiana at the end of the summer and missed all of the summer basketball activities. Hartman is probably the most underappreciated basketball player to play at IU in a long time, he rebounded, played defense, took charges , played hurt and was dangerous from the three-point line.

As far as the Purdue people I don't know, maybe ignorance, as Painter is never taken a team to the final four!

And Indiana is the only team in the nation that has injuries?

Excuses are easy to find if you look hard enough.

So let me guess, you think Crean should stay even though next year will be worse.

You are part of the problem. Some of us are hoping for final fours.....not NITs.

You are right, poor Crean is the only coach in the nation that has had adversity......

And Purdue fans love Crean. You figure it out.

Last edited:
Ok - I just read what was said differently. My apologies.

Still, I don't see how Glass can keep Crean. As in 2014, this team has talent. But, much like then, they are underperforming drastically. And it's the same song-and-dance: poor defense, careless turnovers.

If people think the state of fan unrest is horrible now, just wait to see it if Crean is retained. It will get ugly.

I mostly agree, though I think Glass can keep Crean. Crean might be performing near Glass's expectations. The state of fan unrest might not bother Glass until/unless AH is half full and donations are down.

I mostly agree, though I think Glass can keep Crean. Crean might be performing near Glass's expectations. The state of fan unrest might not bother Glass until/unless AH is half full and donations are down.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

The thing that bothered me the most about tonight? Effort. We had the best intensity we've had since the UNC game for about the first 4 minutes - then went soft as hell. No mental toughness whatsoever.

Did not surprise me in the least to see McIntosh have the game he had against us. He is so underrated as a player. Northwestern plays the way we used to play - tough and smart. Kills me to watch this iteration of Indiana Basketball . . . :mad:

Reactions: russelltodd
I don't think Westrook is a factor in Billy D. Their best player left for the team they should have beat. Certainlky he felt they they could beat them but I think grew tired of watching Westbrook inefficient meltdowns in crunchtime over the years. I wonder how coaching him feels.

Westbrook is under contract next season and has a player option for 30 mil in 2018-19. I doubt he will be leaving after this season. The trade deadline in the 2017-18 season before his player option summer could be realistic if they fail to start a move back up the standings. Billy D may see the writing on the wall.

The real question is does he want to leave the NBA to return to the NCAA and do it for IU. He can coach out his contract in the NBA and other jobs like Syracuse, UNC and Duke may come open not long after IU if it in fact does open up. Probably another reason IU needs to react quick. They don't need to be looking for a new coach when Boeheim, Roy or K have decided to go to the TV booth.

I think San Diego St. is the place for Crean. Next year will be the last year on fishers contract. Crean could get real tans in southern Cal.
My understanding is that Westbrook can leave OKC in 2018 if he wants to: http://deadspin.com/the-thunder-bought-one-more-year-to-solve-their-russell-1784814257 which is why I think there may be a faint glimmer of a chance for Donovan to also consider a return to college coaching, especially if it (for example) involved replacing his mentor Pitino or replacing Calipari. I know some others like OKC's remaining players, but when I look at Adams, Kanter, etc., I don't immediately think "NBA championship nucleus!"

Last edited:

The thing that bothered me the most about tonight? Effort. We had the best intensity we've had since the UNC game for about the first 4 minutes - then went soft as hell. No mental toughness whatsoever.

Did not surprise me in the least to see McIntosh have the game he had against us. He is so underrated as a player. Northwestern plays the way we used to play - tough and smart. Kills me to watch this iteration of Indiana Basketball . . . :mad:

Agree totally with your points. Just disagree whether Glass can keep Crean. I don't think he SHOULD, but I think he CAN.
If the seats are sold, and the donations are good, Fred can stand pat a while longer. Who is available as replacement also enters Glass's decision making.

Agree totally with your points. Just disagree whether Glass can keep Crean. I don't think he SHOULD, but I think he CAN.
If the seats are sold, and the donations are good, Fred can stand pat a while longer. Who is available as replacement also enters Glass's decision making.
Agree - which is why (for some reason) I'm believing Billy D makes a trip from Okie to B-town.

Reactions: russelltodd
Agree - which is why (for some reason) I'm believing Billy D makes a trip from Okie to B-town.

I have a lot of trouble thinking BD would make that move. But I could get on board fast if he did.
A year ago, an acquaintance of mine who works for Fred Glass told me that Glass's Plan A is Stevens, Plan B is Alford, and there is no Plan C.
I presume Plan A won't happen.
Plan B is terribly unappealing .

I have a lot of trouble thinking BD would make that move. But I could get on board fast if he did.
A year ago, an acquaintance of mine who works for Fred Glass told me that Glass's Plan A is Stevens, Plan B is Alford, and there is no Plan C.
Well he may want to form plan C and D. Just ask Steven's agent what it would take. If it is too ridiculous next plan.

I'm not as high as others here are on A. Miller, Holtmann or Mack, but I'd probably go with any of them over Alford--in the unlikely event Steve would want to walk away from the roster he's currently assembled at UCLA.

So if Glass has no "Plan C" and both Brad and Steve say "thanks but no thanks" it could become a scramble at that point? great....

Crean actually bragged how tough the guys played tonight.

Of course, he also cried about Hartman being out with an injury.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
I'm not as high as others here are on A. Miller, Holtmann or Mack, but I'd probably go with any of them over Alford--in the unlikely event Steve would want to walk away from the roster he's currently assembled at UCLA.

So if Glass has no "Plan C" and both Brad and Steve say "thanks but no thanks" it could become a scramble at that point? great....

The rumor is Alford is begging to be our coach.

The rumor is Alford is begging to be our coach.
I suspect that may be because he knows, with the talent he's brought to UCLA, that his time to produce is limited. I wouldn't be interested in him personally, but I can see how Glass might think hiring him would be a "brilliant stroke." There were also rumors that he begged Greenspan to be considered and he was rebuffed back then.

I would rather try A. Miller--and I'm not as impressed with him as others on here are. I want a home-run hire and IMO Alford doesn't fit that bill, except perhaps symbolically. And I'm not interested in symbols.

A lot of us Purdue fans think Painter and his staff suck as well (average or below-average coach: he peaked with the '09-'10 team). I've been convinced that he's not the guy to take the program any further than before ever since the VCU loss in the 2011 NCAA's. Maybe some sort of multi-program deal can be made where both coaches get shipped away.

We now have a plan C

Reactions: JBT Assoc
There were also rumors that (Alford) begged Greenspan to be considered and he was rebuffed back then.

Not true.

Did Steve want a shot at the job? Maybe - but there was no communication from him toward Greenspan. I know for a fact he expressed dismay to a friend here in NC that Greenspan wouldn't even give him the courtesy of a "No, we're not interested" email.

There was bad blood between the two that goes back to their days in the Missouri Valley. Steve & SMS were practicing at Illinois St when Greenspan (then the Redbirds AD) kept coming into the gym, hanging around during their practice.

Steve told him "We need you to leave during our practice". An enraged Greenspan did - and turned the lights off as he left.

Reactions: Bobsnotbucks

Pathetic excuses and nothing more.
Yes I graduated from IU, not a "wannabe" fan, as you would call it. I know many fans that didn't, but still buy apparel, purchase tickets to games and travel with the team. They bleed cream and crimson. These same fans also contribute to IU making millions in television rights. Why don't you climb down off your high horse and give that big, ugly picture of you and Crean a kiss.
You're pathetic.

Reactions: T.M.P.

Kansas was down two of their 3 big men and still went into UK and won.

I will acknowledge that the Glass employee was chatting with some friends, and it was a quip made as part of some other things he was discussing.
I seriously doubt that Glass hasn't thought beyond Plans A and B.

Last edited:
Wrong. Whether this team "tanked" before the injuries is speculative. Injuries sometimes ARE excuses.... particularly when the injuries are as significant as are IU's.

Crean isn't out. Wasn't gonna be without the injuries. Much to our chagrin.

He used JM's injury in his presser as a primary reason we lost to Butler. JM was the best player on the court that day for IU.

Crean's injury excuse no longer has any merit in my book. He has used and abused it countless times.

Newest example provided by Hondo:
https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/threads/friggin-excuse-machine.146715/

Last edited:
Not true.

Did Steve want a shot at the job? Maybe - but there was no communication from him toward Greenspan. I know for a fact he expressed dismay to a friend here in NC that Greenspan wouldn't even give him the courtesy of a "No, we're not interested" email.

There was bad blood between the two that goes back to their days in the Missouri Valley. Steve & SMS were practicing at Illinois St when Greenspan (then the Redbirds AD) kept coming into the gym, hanging around during their practice.

Steve told him "We need you to leave during our practice". An enraged Greenspan did - and turned the lights off as he left.
I knew there was friction between them, but I thought Alford had tried (through intermediaries) to get an interview and was turned down.

If Glass thinks hiring Alford now would "unite the fanbase" he's even more out of touch than I thought.

I knew there was friction between them, but I thought Alford had tried (through intermediaries) to get an interview and was turned down.

Not to my knowledge, and if it would have happened I have no doubt I'd have heard that it occurred.

had the opportunity to watch most of Steve's home games at the Pit while he was the UNM coach.

I may get crucified for posting this, but 1) I don't think he's what IU needs and 2) I don't think he'd "lock down the state recruiting-wise" simply because he played at IU 30 years ago, i.e., about twice as long as the kids he'd be recruiting have been alive.

had the opportunity to watch most of Steve's home games at the Pit while he was the UNM coach.

I may get crucified for posting this, but 1) I don't think he's what IU needs and 2) I don't think he'd "lock down the state recruiting-wise" simply because he played at IU 30 years ago, i.e., about twice as long as the kids he'd be recruiting have been alive.
Would he "lock down" the state? IDK - but he'd do much better than Crean. He - and Sam and Eddie- still have solid relationships with state HS coaches.

Reactions: fiveforsix
Would he "lock down" the state? IDK - but he'd do much better than Crean. He - and Sam and Eddie- still have solid relationships with state HS coaches.
guy I discussed this with last night said "what about Wilkes?" and I said "what about Westwood, Hollywood and Malibu?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT