ADVERTISEMENT

Question from an old guy...

NoVertical

Senior
Nov 29, 2003
How many teams allowed players to play this year that did not attend any classes during the second semester? Is there a way to find out? Asking for an old guy... me.

I always wonder the same thing. A player like Zion- not him specifically, because I have no knowledge of his study habits and class attendance. But use his NCAA/NBA prospects as a perfect case study. We all know a player like that is playing college ball for one yr only, because that's the rule (for the moment). So all he has to do is pull a C average in the fall semester, in 14-15 credit hrs of basket weaving, art appreciation and movie reviews or some cultural studies class (not getting racial here...just being factual)....then register for 2nd semester classes, but never actually show up for class in January? Definite hole in the system....

Probably moot too, because a few yrs from now those kids will go straight to D/G league and never step foot on campus.

On this front, I commend RMK's legacy at IU..we all know his staff kept tabs on attendance and grades. Or at least, that's what we've been told. I've heard some stories about Jay Edwards and his second semester (and final at IU) of his soph yr.

Last edited:
Need more info. “Dick nose Knight “ is Bob Knight? Never heard him called that before.
What was the quote?
it’s a old rupps rafters joke anyway, Bob basically lied and said that John Wall and Demarcus Cousins didn’t attend class while at kentucky despite both having 4.0 gpas

Reactions: Radio Zero
it’s a old rupps rafters joke anyway, Bob basically lied and said that John Wall and Demarcus Cousins didn’t attend class while at kentucky despite both having 4.0 gpas
Not saying it happened wth Wall and Cousins, but UNC proved that bball players can get decent grades while never showing face in class.

It's a different world now too...lots of work turned in on line.

Not saying it happened wth Wall and Cousins, but UNC proved that bball players can get decent grades while never showing face in class.

It's a different world now too...lots of work turned in on line.
kentucky’s team academic score has been #1 or #2 in the SEC every year cal has been here so no and if there’s one thing we can agree on it’s:SCREW UNC

Sure, Kim Jong Il has a scorecard that says he shot a -38 on 18 holes once, which is probably about as credible as a UK academic reporting.
LMAO....I heard that one...claims he had several holes-in-one in the SAME round, due to God's divine intervention since Kim was ruling via God's will for the great republic. They grow some good political ghanja in Pyongyang and their citizens smoke it...or else.

UK will play home and home with Michigan in 2021/22. Maybe it will continue after that if Mich. fans refrain from behaving like IU fans. But instead of acknowledgement of wrongdoing, IU fans would rather live in a fantasy world where other schools are afraid to play them, IU is the envy of the Ivy League, and any school with more basketball success obviously cheats. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Reactions: RunninRichie
UK will play home and home with Michigan in 2021/22. Maybe it will continue after that if Mich. fans refrain from behaving like IU fans. But instead of acknowledgement of wrongdoing, IU fans would rather live in a fantasy world where other schools are afraid to play them, IU is the envy of the Ivy League, and any school with more basketball success obviously cheats. Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Not other schools...just pUKe.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine

How dare anyone be suspicious of a school that’s been busted for cheating multiple times being led by a coach that has vacated two final fours...you’re the one that needs help sleeping at night lol.

https://www.complex.com/sports/2017/03/dirtiest-programs-in-college-basketball/

Actually, I am losing some sleep these nights thinking about how far we might have gone in the tournament. I imagine you are sleeping soundly dreaming about how IU is going to win it all next year and the rest of the nation will finally be forced to realize IU's superiority in all things academic and athletic.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I always wonder the same thing. A player like Zion- not him specifically, because I have no knowledge of his study habits and class attendance. But use his NCAA/NBA prospects as a perfect case study. We all know a player like that is playing college ball for one yr only, because that's the rule (for the moment). So all he has to do is pull a C average in the fall semester, in 14-15 credit hrs of basket weaving, art appreciation and movie reviews or some cultural studies class (not getting racial here...just being factual)....then register for 2nd semester classes, but never actually show up for class in January? Definite hole in the system....

Probably moot too, because a few yrs from now those kids will go straight to D/G league and never step foot on campus.

On this front, I commend RMK's legacy at IU..we all know his staff kept tabs on attendance and grades. Or at least, that's what we've been told. I've heard some stories about Jay Edwards and his second semester (and final at IU) of his soph yr.
At one point Athletes had to take 6 hours during the season to be a full time student. Not sure if that’s still a rule. I’m sure these guys aren’t taking 14-15 hours. Huge grin! I thought 6 full time hours was pitiful. Anybody know?

At one point Athletes had to take 6 hours during the season to be a full time student. Not sure if that’s still a rule. I’m sure these guys aren’t taking 14-15 hours. Huge grin! I thought 6 full time hours was pitiful. Anybody know?
The minimum is 12 hours. In addition, you have to be making progress toward a degree from year to year so you can't take 12 in the fall and then not successfully complete 12 in the spring if you want to play the next season. In general, you have to be advancing at a similar rate as your classmates, i.e. advancing credit-wise from freshman to sophomore to junior each year. That part of the requirement is actually known as the "Mount Rule" after the PUke legend who played four years of college basketball and left school as an academic sophomore.

Actually, I am losing some sleep these nights thinking about how far we might have gone in the tournament. I imagine you are sleeping soundly dreaming about how IU is going to win it all next year and the rest of the nation will finally be forced to realize IU's superiority in all things academic and athletic.

Don't sweat it, spares you the grief of vacating it later...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT