ADVERTISEMENT

Do we really need to fill the last three scollies?

SouthBendJim

Junior
Dec 19, 2004
Looks to me like we could put a pretty formidable team on the floor with what we have right now. With X coming back, we'll add some much needed scoring. Have to think that Banks and Gunn will be ready to play in their sophomore season. Cupps and Newton look like they'll be able to contribute some right away.

It's all about PT, and there's only so many minutes to go around. Gotta develop the players we have, and the new ones coming in IMO. Not sure getting transfers with maybe only 1 year left is the way to go. There's a reason players transfer: they want to play. I think that anyone who could have helped us in a big way is already gone.

Rumor/stories going around are that we are solid with McNeely and Sisley, two highly ranked 2024 players. And we have a lot of other 2024 offers out, most notably Bidunga and Queen. If we load up on short term rent-a-players (transfers) eating up playing time, it may make some of them change their mind.

Reneau, Sparks, Ware and Banks give us a solid front court. Cupps and Newton may surprise. If the good version of X comes back and runs the team well, we should be more than good.

Bank 'em! JMHO

Looks to me like we could put a pretty formidable team on the floor with what we have right now. With X coming back, we'll add some much needed scoring. Have to think that Banks and Gunn will be ready to play in their sophomore season. Cupps and Newton look like they'll be able to contribute some right away.

It's all about PT, and there's only so many minutes to go around. Gotta develop the players we have, and the new ones coming in IMO. Not sure getting transfers with maybe only 1 year left is the way to go. There's a reason players transfer: they want to play. I think that anyone who could have helped us in a big way is already gone.

Rumor/stories going around are that we are solid with McNeely and Sisley, two highly ranked 2024 players. And we have a lot of other 2024 offers out, most notably Bidunga and Queen. If we load up on short term rent-a-players (transfers) eating up playing time, it may make some of them change their mind.

Reneau, Sparks, Ware and Banks give us a solid front court. Cupps and Newton may surprise. If the good version of X comes back and runs the team well, we should be more than good.

Bank 'em! JMHO
You cant be serious.. We lost 80% plus of our scoring. Yes we need to fill them. You cant count on two guys who barely played and two unproven frosh to be the magic cure.

Why would signing three transfers with 1-year of eligibility make '24 recruits change their minds?
Every year is now free agency. Who is to say the 24 recruits dont leave after one year. You have to build a squad for each year now you have no idea who will stay or leave each spring. The spring one year guys have zero impact on 2024 recruits.

Last edited:
Every year is now free agency. Who is to say the 24 recruits dont leave after one year. You have to build a squad for each year now you have no idea who will stay or leave each spring. The spring one year guys have zero impact on 2024 recruits.
You're basically arguing to stop recruiting all but 5-stars and rely on transfers. I would hate that approach for IU. Our strength when we were consistently good was developing Indiana talent. That's what I'd expect from IU's coaching staff.

You cant be serious.. We lost 80% plus of our scoring. Yes we need to fill them. You cant count on two guys who barely played and two unproven frosh to be the magic cure.
This year stats...

TJD (20.9 ppg) (10.8 rpg)
JHS (13.5 ppg) (4.1 rpg)
Race T (8.4 ppg) (5.2 rpg)
Miller K (8.1 ppg) (2.5 rpg)
Tamar B (6.1 ppg) (1.6 rpg)
Jordan G (4.2 ppg) (2.4 rpg)
Logan D (2.9 ppg) (1.1 rpg)

Total (64.1 ppg) (27.7 rpg)

As long as they bring in quality guys get as many as possible.

What I don't want is to sign multi year players just to fill spots and potentially hurt us with top recruits for the next few years. If we can get a shooter for a year or two then sign me up.

This year stats...

TJD (20.9 ppg) (10.8 rpg)
JHS (13.5 ppg) (4.1 rpg)
Race T (8.4 ppg) (5.2 rpg)
Miller K (8.1 ppg) (2.5 rpg)
Tamar B (6.1 ppg) (1.6 rpg)
Jordan G (4.2 ppg) (2.4 rpg)
Logan D (2.9 ppg) (1.1 rpg)

Total (64.1 ppg) (27.7 rpg)
Incoming stats...

*Xavier J (9.9 ppg) (3.3 rpg) in 11 games
Kel’el W (6.6 ppg) (4.1 rpg)
Payton S (13.3 ppg) (8.7 rpg)
Trey G (6.7 ppg) (3.0 rpg)
Malik R (6.1 ppg) (3.7 rpg)
Kaleb B (2.0 ppg) (0.9 rpg)
CJ G (2.0 ppg) (0.6 rpg)
Anthony L
Gabe C
Jakai N

Total (46.6 ppg) (24.3 rpg)

Incoming stats...

*Xavier J (9.9 ppg) (3.3 rpg) in 11 games
Kel’el W (6.6 ppg) (4.1 rpg)
Payton S (13.3 ppg) (8.7 rpg)
Trey G (6.7 ppg) (3.0 rpg)
Malik R (6.1 ppg) (3.7 rpg)
Kaleb B (2.0 ppg) (0.9 rpg)
CJ G (2.0 ppg) (0.6 rpg)
Anthony L
Gabe C
Jakai N

Total (46.6 ppg) (24.3 rpg)
You expect sparks to put up 13 agame? Thats a very deceiving state that was not in a power 5 conference. And we still dont know if X is back yet.

Reactions: Zeke7

Bank 'em! JMHO
Need a couple of proven shooters. Sisley is 2025.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Yes, with a 7'1 post, a 6'9 four ...

*eyeroll*
Watch UConn play small ball again this year with a 7 ft 2-in center. Did you see 6'9" Sunogo start out the championship game hitting two three pointers?

UConn's three guards were 6'4", 6 ft 5 in and 6 ft 7 in. And they had nine players that averaged over 13 minutes a game. Everybody had at least a mid-range game.

Meanwhile the Hoosiers were still looking for a third scorer each and every game. You don't have to be short to play small ball. You just have to be able to contribute on offense more than three feet from the basket. UConn was able to play small ball with overwhelming size. Miami's big man with 6 ft 7 and Florida Atlantic played with four guards.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAppleHoosier
I would still like to get a shooter for next year to help open it up for our inside guys .
College basketball transfer rankings 2023

2. Max Abmas ( Oral Roberts) 6’1 G
21.9 ppg
4.4 rpg
38.8 3P% on 8.8 attempts per game
Won Summit League Player of the Year twice

9. Jaylon Tyson (Texas Tech) 6’6 G 210 lbs
10.7 ppg
6.1 rpg
40.2 3P% (43-107)
He also ranked as Texas Tech's best defender

Bank 'em! JMHO
Need guards

Watch UConn play small ball again this year with a 7 ft 2-in center. Did you see 6'9" Sunogo start out the championship game hitting two three pointers?

UConn's three guards were 6'4", 6 ft 5 in and 6 ft 7 in. And they had nine players that averaged over 13 minutes a game. Everybody had at least a mid-range game.

Meanwhile the Hoosiers were still looking for a third scorer each and every game. You don't have to be short to play small ball. You just have to be able to contribute on offense more than three feet from the basket. UConn was able to play small ball with overwhelming size. Miami's big man with 6 ft 7 and Florida Atlantic played with four guards.
lmao that's not small ball ...

Golden St plays small ball with a 6'6 player at 5. Houston played small ball with a 6'5 player at 5. Boston plays small ball with a 6'6 player at 5 ...

*repeated eyeroll*

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Need guards

13. Matthew Cleveland (Florida State) 6’7 G 200lbs
Former five-star prospect
13.8 ppg
7.4 rpg
35.0 3P%

20. Joe Girard (Syracuse) 6’1 G 190 lbs
16.4 ppg
2.8 rpg
40.3 FG%
85.7 FT%
38.1 3P% (88-231)

Reactions: Shuski

13. Matthew Cleveland (Florida State) 6’7 G 200lbs
Former five-star prospect
13.8 ppg
7.4 rpg
35.0 3P%

20. Joe Girard (Syracuse) 6’1 G 190 lbs
16.4 ppg
2.8 rpg
40.3 FG%
85.7 FT%
38.1 3P% (88-231)
Yes and yes

Reactions: Jfats
The reason we need to fill a couple slots with proven players is because otherwise we are relying far too much on completely unproven players (Gunn, Banks especially), plus bringing in Ware, all still hoping we get X back.

Reactions: bailey777
Thanks IU Louie, I have been looking a little bit also and there are still several guards that are available that might be good. Just because someone did not play in power 5 conference does not mean that they cannot.

In addition to the four you mentioned I found a few more. I am sure we are sill evaluating and may still end up with another quality player or two.

Jayson Tyson Texas Tech 6'6" 10.7 ppg 6.1 r
Ryan Nembhard Creighton 6'0" 12.1 ppg 4.8 a
Primo Spears Georgetown 6'3" 16.0 ppg 5.3 a
Posh Alexander St. Johns 6'0" 10.2 ppg 4.2 a
David Jones St. Johns 6'6" 13.2 ppg 6.8 r
Devan Cambridge Arizona St. 6'6" 9.8 ppg
Glenn Taylor Oregon St. 6'6" 11.6 ppg
Chico Carte South Carolina 6'3" 9,8 ppg 48% from 3
Javon Small East Carolina 6'2" 15.8 ppg 5.6 a
Keonta Kenney Memphis 6'5" 9.2 ppg 38% from 3
Tyler Perry North Texas 5'11" 17.3 ppg 41.3% from 3

I have several more that could be considered. These players are not showing as committed yet on the site ..

Reactions: IULouie
Thanks IU Louie, I have been looking a little bit also and there are still several guards that are available that might be good. Just because someone did not play in power 5 conference does not mean that they cannot.

In addition to the four you mentioned I found a few more. I am sure we are sill evaluating and may still end up with another quality player or two.

Jayson Tyson Texas Tech 6'6" 10.7 ppg 6.1 r
Ryan Nembhard Creighton 6'0" 12.1 ppg 4.8 a
Primo Spears Georgetown 6'3" 16.0 ppg 5.3 a
Posh Alexander St. Johns 6'0" 10.2 ppg 4.2 a
David Jones St. Johns 6'6" 13.2 ppg 6.8 r
Devan Cambridge Arizona St. 6'6" 9.8 ppg
Glenn Taylor Oregon St. 6'6" 11.6 ppg
Chico Carte South Carolina 6'3" 9,8 ppg 48% from 3
Javon Small East Carolina 6'2" 15.8 ppg 5.6 a
Keonta Kenney Memphis 6'5" 9.2 ppg 38% from 3
Tyler Perry North Texas 5'11" 17.3 ppg 41.3% from 3

I have several more that could be considered. These players are not showing as committed yet on the site ..
Ryan Nembhard just committed to Gonzaga.

Reactions: Shuski
Did Indiana recruit Hunter Dickinson?

1. Hunter Dickinson (Michigan) 7’1 C 260 lbs
18.5 ppg
9.0 rpg
56.0 FG%
72.7 FT%
42.1 3P% (24-57)

Maryland, Georgetown, Kansas, Kentucky, and Villanova are currently in the mix.

Last edited:
Is this thread a joke? The current roster won’t even be .500. We better find some transfers or IU is screwed
That was my thought as well but at the rate gunn and banks are being built up by the end of the summer they are going to be the next coming of eric gordon.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Tyson, Cleveland would be great
Florida State transfer Matthew Cleveland, a former five-star prospect, is down to three finalists - Miami, Missouri and Auburn - a source told
@247SportsPortal
. He has already taken two official visits with a third on the way. || Story: https://247sports.com/Article/Florid

Another one gone. We nay not even be able to find three guys to take the grants if this keeps up.

Reactions: IULouie
Common theme is if you take away caleb love none of these top portal guards are interested in the big ten. Style of play must be hurting us bad.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Your kidding right...
We have this team. With no more help.
It'll be ugly..
No chance that team makes the tournament..
Why? You’re telling me if Ware and Reneau play to their 5* star potential there’s no chance this team can’t do damage in the tournament, let alone make it? That’s just silly. Probably need to add a veteran wing just so you aren’t banking on someone like Gunn or Banks to play above expectations but there’s plenty of talent on next years roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT