ADVERTISEMENT

QB? Check. Next: OFFENSIVE LINE

lUCX9

Benchwarmer
Nov 30, 2018
Ok folks, we got our man at QB, who is a B1G level starter by all accounts.

HOWEVER, he is not going to be successful if he is not protected by a quality offensive line. Versus P5 competition in 2021, he had 9 TDs, 11 Ints.

He feels pressure and it affects him. See article below.

Bottom Line.... no matter who is behind Center, the OL MUST IMPROVE if any QB is to have a chance at Indiana in 2022.

Just gonna leave this here....

You know what it means.

I hope after signing day coach Allen lets Hiller go. I can't imagine keeping him after the disasters over the past three years with the running game and pass pro. If coach is serious about building for a B1G championship team he can't hold on to Hiller.

A bad offensives line makes all the coaches look bad. I think Deboer did his best to mask the poor line play and Penix/Ramsey helped with that as well. At some point, the line has to at least be average. Coach McCullough isn't going to be happy when the RB's have poor blocking for a second straight year. I thought Carr played great considering the lack of holes.

If he has not let Hillier go by now, my guess is he's not going to. Maybe in a run blocking scheme Hillier is a better coach. I have seen a lot of bad coordinators make position coaches look bad (and vice versa), but it's a leap of faith to picture Hillier's lineman suddenly winning the line of scrimmage.

I hope after signing day coach Allen lets Hiller go. I can't imagine keeping him after the disasters over the past three years with the running game and pass pro. If coach is serious about building for a B1G championship team he can't hold on to Hiller.

You all need to stop with this. Hiller isn’t going to be let go untill Allen is let go. It’s like his best friend. I’ve heard he may be the hardest guy for Allen to fire on that staff.

You all need to stop with this. Hiller isn’t going to be let go untill Allen is let go. It’s like his best friend. I’ve heard he may be the hardest guy for Allen to fire on that staff.
You heard Allen has shared it would be hard to let his best friend go about Hiller?

Reactions: vesuvius13

HOWEVER, he is not going to be successful if he is not protected by a quality offensive line. Versus P5 competition in 2021, he had 9 TDs, 11 Ints.

Bottom Line.... no matter who is behind Center, the OL MUST IMPROVE if any QB is to have a chance at Indiana in 2022.
Agreed. Case in point: yesterday's game in Tampa. Facing an excellent pass-rushing team, and with an offensive line playing at less than 100%, the defending Super Bowls champs and, in particular, the "GOAT" at QB, looked very ordinary for more than three quarters. Brady was so frustrated he got his first-ever unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

I don't care who we have under center. If our OL doesn't show significant improvement out of the gate next season, it's going to be a long season.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If I were coach Bell, knowing my reputation was on the line, I would tell coach Allen coach Hiller isn't an acceptable OL coach. On the other hand, there have been times the run game looked much better in the past IE DeBord's second year, when IU went to the offense without a QB so maybe it was the system coach DeBoer ran and certainly what coach Sheridan ran.

If he is back, coach Hiller better have the OL looking much better in 2022.

I think that is fairly accepted doctrine. The QB can help himself with a fast release. The WRs can help with early route separation. The RBs can help with a ground game being a threat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT