ADVERTISEMENT

Real difference between IU and Maryland

They didn’t decide to stand pat—they couldn’t get anyone. Walt Bell followed about 20 Portal QBs on twitter. We couldn’t even get the WKU QB to take a visit……They 100% wanted an experienced guy who could move his feet a bit. They struck out. And to be honest, why wouldn’t they? There is a question for QBs under Ton Allen that all guys must have taken notice of. Patrick Ramsey 3 year part time starter transfers to a worse performing football program; Michael Penix went from hero to zero and left; Connor Bazelak-transferred again. Jack Tuttle, transferred. Over the last 5 or 6 years, every starting QB we have thrown out there save Dexter Williams has transferred. Gremel, Ramsey, Tuttle, Penix, Bazelak. I would imagine that next year Sorsby will transfer if he doesn’t start. And he should—he’s made a ton of progress. Think about this—in the 2022-2023 season we have had the following starters: (1) Bazelak; (2) Tuttle; (3) Gremel; (4) Williams; (5) Sorsby; (6) Jackson, 6 starters in a year and a half isn’t good for business. Moral of the story, without significant NIL money, there is no proven QB worth his weight in salt that would transfer in under this staff. Outside of the DeBoer era, it has been a position group that has been completely mismanaged.
We worked well into the Spring to find someone and simply weren’t able to get it done. Not blaming anyone, but we didn’t stand still and knew an experienced guy was very likely needed.

We worked well into the Spring to find someone and simply weren’t able to get it done. Not blaming anyone, but we didn’t stand still and knew an experienced guy was very likely needed.
we weren't able to get a portal qb better than what we already had.

They didn’t decide to stand pat—they couldn’t get anyone. Walt Bell followed about 20 Portal QBs on twitter. We couldn’t even get the WKU QB to take a visit……They 100% wanted an experienced guy who could move his feet a bit. They struck out. And to be honest, why wouldn’t they? There is a question for QBs under Ton Allen that all guys must have taken notice of. Patrick Ramsey 3 year part time starter transfers to a worse performing football program; Michael Penix went from hero to zero and left; Connor Bazelak-transferred again. Jack Tuttle, transferred. Over the last 5 or 6 years, every starting QB we have thrown out there save Dexter Williams has transferred. Gremel, Ramsey, Tuttle, Penix, Bazelak. I would imagine that next year Sorsby will transfer if he doesn’t start. And he should—he’s made a ton of progress. Think about this—in the 2022-2023 season we have had the following starters: (1) Bazelak; (2) Tuttle; (3) Gremel; (4) Williams; (5) Sorsby; (6) Jackson, 6 starters in a year and a half isn’t good for business. Moral of the story, without significant NIL money, there is no proven QB worth his weight in salt that would transfer in under this staff. Outside of the DeBoer era, it has been a position group that has been completely mismanaged.
I will agree on one aspect of your post: the QB room has been mismanaged since Wilson and Lagow.

I do think the biggest issue was thinking we would be ok going into the year with essentially 0 QB experience on our entire roster. These young QBs had no one to look to that had experience. I'm really not all that excited about Dexter Williams being "close" to coming back. He only attempted 38 passes and only completed 35% of them.

I do think the biggest issue was thinking we would be ok going into the year with essentially 0 QB experience on our entire roster. These young QBs had no one to look to that had experience. I'm really not all that excited about Dexter Williams being "close" to coming back. He only attempted 38 passes and only completed 35% of them.
Staff apparently felt the three we had were enough and that Jackson would be gone if they did. My understanding from people I trust.

I trust the people I trust.

So Jackson didn't enter the portal until January 12, 2023 and didn't commit until January 15, while the portal opened on December 5 (although guys were already in the portal). Are you saying that Indiana didn't make a run at Emory Jones, Jeff Sims, Jacolby Criswell, Malik Hornsby, etc? Tom Allen's marching instructions were to find a dual threat QB "because you have to have more than 1 on the roster" and "someone with experience", and it appears you believe we only offered 1 player and then waited a month and 7 days to only offer a guy who had just a few more plays in his true freshman year than Sorsby? That would recruiting malpractice, and nobody would subscribe to that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT