ADVERTISEMENT

Real difference between IU and Maryland

newIUfan

Benchwarmer
Aug 3, 2012

TAULIA TAGOVAILOA- He is in his 5th year with the same program, and has faced IU 3 times before Saturdays game, winning the last 2. He has thrown for almost as many TDs (65) as Jackson has completed passes in his career (74). The game is easy to him. For Jackson it is still very fast. Taulia made IU pay for their mistakes, at this point Jackson can't, he can't even see them. Since 2016 games between these teams have been decided by one score. The only real difference is the most important player on the field, the QB.​

STATS

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG

Jackson's career stats

Career Stats​

See All
STATS

We will have to see what direction coach Carey goes with QB. I hope coach Tucker is working with QBs now and they are more in tune with the flow of the game so our QBs look much better.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I think the kids got a lot of talent. But right now we need a spark. Let's see what Sorsby can do.
It is definitely not fair to blame this on Indiana's quarterback. There is way too much blame to go around the entire Indiana football program. There is no quick fix. Tom Allen is not going to be fired in the offseason. And Indiana will likely be worse next year than this year. They will attempt to rebuild both lines through the portal again with 5th-year players who will excitedly announce that they are transferring to the University of Indiana for their final year of college football.

At this point I honestly think it would be best to announce at the end of the season that Tom Allen is going to be terminated after the 2024 season. Even if he makes a bowl game next year. DeBoer is long gone and he's not coming back.

Our quarterback wasn't why Maryland beat us. Let's be honest, they have better players on both sides of the ball than we do, and they are better coached. If we played Maryland 10 times, they would beat us 10 times. That is how far we have continued to fall over the last couple of years. Breaking in multiple new quarterbacks every year and changing our entire system more than once a season isn't helping.

It is definitely not fair to blame this on Indiana's quarterback. There is way too much blame to go around the entire Indiana football program. There is no quick fix. Tom Allen is not going to be fired in the offseason. And Indiana will likely be worse next year than this year. They will attempt to rebuild both lines through the portal again with 5th-year players who will excitedly announce that they are transferring to the University of Indiana for their final year of college football.

At this point I honestly think it would be best to announce at the end of the season that Tom Allen is going to be terminated after the 2024 season. Even if he makes a bowl game next year. DeBoer is long gone and he's not coming back.
The “University of Indiana” …..Now that made me laugh. You get credit for that one!

TAULIA TAGOVAILOA- He is in his 5th year with the same program, and has faced IU 3 times before Saturdays game, winning the last 2. He has thrown for almost as many TDs (65) as Jackson has completed passes in his career (74). The game is easy to him. For Jackson it is still very fast. Taulia made IU pay for their mistakes, at this point Jackson can't, he can't even see them. Since 2016 games between these teams have been decided by one score. The only real difference is the most important player on the field, the QB.​

STATS

Jackson's career stats

Career Stats​

See All
STATS

Seem like all good points.
But QB was not the only position we were inferior.

Our quarterback wasn't why Maryland beat us. Let's be honest, they have better players on both sides of the ball than we do, and they are better coached. If we played Maryland 10 times, they would beat us 10 times. That is how far we have continued to fall over the last couple of years. Breaking in multiple new quarterbacks every year and changing our entire system more than once a season isn't helping.
The thought that Locksey is a better coach than TA is more than enough to fire him right now.

I will be interested to see how good Maryland is next year without Taulia. I had an interesting conversation with one of my fellow coaches who was a starter at Maryland until he got injured and transferred to Toledo.
M sure they’ll struggle somewhat without him, as anyone would think they would. I’m not sold on ML as an Xs and Os coach, but he can definitely recruit. They were better than us pretty much all over the field.

M sure they’ll struggle somewhat without him, as anyone would think they would. I’m not sold on ML as an Xs and Os coach, but he can definitely recruit. They were better than us pretty much all over the field.
I also question Josh Gattis as an offensive coordinator. He had no success at Michigan or Miami. He is having some now with Taulia. But we will see when he is gone if it continues.

Hey Mark nice to hear from you. I don't know if you are still on the premium board or somewhere else but always enjoyed interactive with you over the years and your insight. We have a lot of issues no doubt and this year Maryland would beat us 10 of 10 you are 100 percent right.

It will be interesting to see if we make any progress through the rest of the season although we lose to Michigan 10 of 10 also. While I try to be as realistic as possible this team has a chance to keep going downhill for the rest of the season. Right now, if there is improvement, I see our only real chances are Illinois, MSU, Purdue and Rutgers. I hope the changes allow the week off to allow everyone to suck it up and pull it together for the remainder of the season.

Reactions: Mark Milton
I will be interested to see how good Maryland is next year without Taulia. I had an interesting conversation with one of my fellow coaches who was a starter at Maryland until he got injured and transferred to Toledo.
And that “interesting conversation” with fellow coach/injured Maryland starter/Toledo transfer contained what words?

Hey Mark nice to hear from you. I don't know if you are still on the premium board or somewhere else but always enjoyed interactive with you over the years and your insight. We have a lot of issues no doubt and this year Maryland would beat us 10 of 10 you are 100 percent right.

It will be interesting to see if we make any progress through the rest of the season although we lose to Michigan 10 of 10 also. While I try to be as realistic as possible this team has a chance to keep going downhill for the rest of the season. Right now, if there is improvement, I see our only real chances are Illinois, MSU, Purdue and Rutgers. I hope the changes allow the week off to allow everyone to suck it up and pull it together for the remainder of the season.

I've been in hiding :) I just do things as the spirit moves nowadays. Good to hear from you as well. But I'm not feeling very good going forward here. haven't for awhile. Fingers crossed though.

I've been in hiding :) I just do things as the spirit moves nowadays. Good to hear from you as well. But I'm not feeling very good going forward here. haven't for awhile. Fingers crossed though.
Are you not feeling good going forward “here” in the more nebulous sense, meaning life in general or is it something more specific, perhaps marriage or interest in IU football or “here” as in Hoosier.com message board, this right now? Likewise, “fingers crossed” in hope of what or simply arthritic complications? Prying minds wish to know out of concern for a member within the family Man, including Hoosier Nation.

That said, spirits move in mysterious ways, sometimes to hidden places seldom seen. It’s what makes life interesting. Thanks for coming out.

Are you not feeling good going forward “here” in the more nebulous sense, meaning life in general or is it something more specific, perhaps marriage or interest in IU football or “here” as in Hoosier.com message board, this right now? Likewise, “fingers crossed” in hope of what or simply arthritic complications? Prying minds wish to know out of concern for a member within the family Man, including Hoosier Nation.

That said, spirits move in mysterious ways, sometimes to hidden places seldom seen. It’s what makes life interesting. Thanks for coming out.
I try not to invoke my Humesian philosophical nature on football message board (although Hume's discussion on miracles certainly might be a reasonable topic of discussion as it relates to Indiana Football). So "here" would the prosperity or future prosperity (or lack thereof), of the Indiana Football Program. Dennis (Shuski), is a great guy--long time dude and smart guy. We just happen to be members of the same mutual admiration society.

Reactions: abraxis
For sure not. But I stopped counting at 10, the number of overthrown passes that would have led to first down/big gains. And these weren't rushed or difficult passes. For the most part, they were 10-20 yard passes that quite a lot of HS level quarterbacks complete in their sleep. Bazelak seemed to have the exact same, missing high affliction, last year? I don't know football scheming and strategy...but maybe something with how Bell was running the offense led to tendencies to miss passes high?

I'll agree that even if he had been on the mark on all of those passes, we probably still wouldn't have won. But that game would have looked a lot different had we gotten even more first downs, scored some more points on those early drives, and not given Maryland the ball so many times in plus territory starting their drives.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Seem like all good points.
But QB was not the only position we were inferior.
True but if the roster was the same except Patrick Ramsey was the QB last season and/or this season there would be 1 less negative about IUFB causing it's failings.

Oh no, I'm fine man. I meant I don't feel good about Indiana football
Human communication is fraught with misunderstanding, limited as it is in symbolic representation. Commercial airlines have crashed over errors in understanding garbled words. This frailty of communication is of little untoward consequence on social media, nothing that simple clarification in an additional post can’t cure. Consider ourselves lucky this time, fastening of seatbelts not required. That said, with the same seeds of doubt sewn across our vast IU alumni landscape, we feel your pain, “fine man”, and hope you stay the course, not in abandonment of sinking ship.

Let's see the team with coach Carey calling plays as he will improve the offense. I hope coach Tucker can work with QBs along with WR as other teams can do it.

Bell has been pretty well beaten up as the OC and certainly some of his play calls were on "what was that" side of things. But in fairness how would all of you feel if Tom Allen, or any head coach, been fired in his second year after just 16 games. Bell had to work with what he had in player personnel and in our three losses the opponents in my opinion had better players and were better coached. I have watched the game recordings and we had numerous open receivers missed, overthrown, or dropped passes that suggest to me his schemes were not all that bad. I also do not think our RBs are on par with other B10 teams.

Allen has now had I believe 5 OC's in his seven years as head coach. That is not a recipe for continuity and success on any football team. At the same time, we have been last in scoring defense the last two years in the B10 and may be headed there again this season but after every game we hear how hard we fought etc.

I guess I am defending Bell even though I also questioned some of his calls, but my real point is team has a whole lot more problems than just a bad offensive coordinator. And no one should doubt where the buck stops.

Bell has been pretty well beaten up as the OC and certainly some of his play calls were on "what was that" side of things. But in fairness how would all of you feel if Tom Allen, or any head coach, been fired in his second year after just 16 games. Bell had to work with what he had in player personnel and in our three losses the opponents in my opinion had better players and were better coached. I have watched the game recordings and we had numerous open receivers missed, overthrown, or dropped passes that suggest to me his schemes were not all that bad. I also do not think our RBs are on par with other B10 teams.

Allen has now had I believe 5 OC's in his seven years as head coach. That is not a recipe for continuity and success on any football team. At the same time, we have been last in scoring defense the last two years in the B10 and may be headed there again this season but after every game we hear how hard we fought etc.

I guess I am defending Bell even though I also questioned some of his calls, but my real point is team has a whole lot more problems than just a bad offensive coordinator. And no one should doubt where the buck stops.
Walt Bell might be the re-incarnation of Don Coryell, but the dumb sob continually thought running Lucas up the gut was a winning play. Same with having him try to pass block a rushing DE. Nah, not gonna miss him. But you are definitely correct about where the buck stops.

Reactions: midwolfe and 76-1
I think the kids got a lot of talent. But right now we need a spark. Let's see what Sorsby can do.
I don't believe either QB was going to be successful with Bell calling the plays. The option was horrendous. Lucas was put into positions where he wasn't going to be successful;

I believe Jackson is a better leader and has a higher ceiling.

The problem is, with like 300 QBs in the transfer portal, our staff was like, "let's take the one that's never played before, so that he can duke it out with our (lone) current quarterback who only played once and looked like Uncle Rico."

It didn't have to be this way. I get that Ben Bryant is probably getting a Northwestern MBA, but were we really less appealing than that dumpster fire?

The problem is, with like 300 QBs in the transfer portal, our staff was like, "let's take the one that's never played before, so that he can duke it out with our (lone) current quarterback who only played once and looked like Uncle Rico."

It didn't have to be this way. I get that Ben Bryant is probably getting a Northwestern MBA, but were we really less appealing than that dumpster fire?
Many thought that TA would try to capture an experienced portal QB that could give us one season while Jackson/Sorsby developed. They chose to stand pat with these two.

The thought that Locksey is a better coach than TA is more than enough to fire him right now.
Anyone who served as an OC for Saban can’t be a slouch.
I read that he told Saban the Terps were his CFB dream job,
and he earned it with Bama’s performance on the field.
His 5th year SR QB had the Bucks on the ropes.
T.T. Following Locksley to MD makes sense now. Not leaving for a pile of NIL cash makes sense too.
I thought the Terps WRs should have made more catches than they did, Saturday.
Terps AD made a good hire, and improved.
Rutgers has improved too.
IU needs to respond to the challenges.

Last edited:

The consistent figure in all of this is Allen. His teams just constantly shoot themselves in the foot. The last two seasons have been horrible. The players change. The staff changes. The results are the same. Even in two years of post-season play, he allowed 2 winnable bowl games to be squandered. The Gator Bowl was the worst.
Bell had zero feel for the game. We aren’t great by any stretch but with a solid HC, we’d be better than we are.

The consistent figure in all of this is Allen. His teams just constantly shoot themselves in the foot. The last two seasons have been horrible. The players change. The staff changes. The results are the same. Even in two years of post-season play, he allowed 2 winnable bowl games to be squandered. The Gator Bowl was the worst.
Bell had zero feel for the game. We aren’t great by any stretch but with a solid HC, we’d be better than we are.
Didn't you leave this board?

Many thought that TA would try to capture an experienced portal QB that could give us one season while Jackson/Sorsby developed. They chose to stand pat with these two.
They tried early on to nab an experienced QB and failed. Jeff Sims, Emory Jones and a few others. Very hard to recruit a proven QB to a team that has come off of 2-10 and 4-8 seasons...And then there is the NIL money deal.

They tried early on to nab an experienced QB and failed. Jeff Sims, Emory Jones and a few others. Very hard to recruit a proven QB to a team that has come off of 2-10 and 4-8 seasons...And then there is the NIL money deal.
Correct on one of those and it was very early. Staff decided to stand on the three we have.

• Haha
Reactions: Jackskip23
Correct on one of those and it was very early. Staff decided to stand on the three we have.
They didn’t decide to stand pat—they couldn’t get anyone. Walt Bell followed about 20 Portal QBs on twitter. We couldn’t even get the WKU QB to take a visit……They 100% wanted an experienced guy who could move his feet a bit. They struck out. And to be honest, why wouldn’t they? There is a question for QBs under Ton Allen that all guys must have taken notice of. Patrick Ramsey 3 year part time starter transfers to a worse performing football program; Michael Penix went from hero to zero and left; Connor Bazelak-transferred again. Jack Tuttle, transferred. Over the last 5 or 6 years, every starting QB we have thrown out there save Dexter Williams has transferred. Gremel, Ramsey, Tuttle, Penix, Bazelak. I would imagine that next year Sorsby will transfer if he doesn’t start. And he should—he’s made a ton of progress. Think about this—in the 2022-2023 season we have had the following starters: (1) Bazelak; (2) Tuttle; (3) Gremel; (4) Williams; (5) Sorsby; (6) Jackson, 6 starters in a year and a half isn’t good for business. Moral of the story, without significant NIL money, there is no proven QB worth his weight in salt that would transfer in under this staff. Outside of the DeBoer era, it has been a position group that has been completely mismanaged.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT