ADVERTISEMENT

Q for the “IU Lacks Committment” Crowd

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bill Lynch carried the tag "Interim Head Coach" throughout the 2007 season. When he put IU in a bowl game, it was pretty hard to rationalize dumping him.

Do any of you CTA antagonists think that maybe Glass looked at the incredible defensive improvement in 2016, combined with the other attributes CTA brings to the table, and felt he had a home run hire sitting in the IU house ready to go?
Exactly. I don't mind the criticism of Tom Allen. I have plenty myself. What drives me crazy are the baseless conspiracy theories ( President gave orders to hire cheap, Glass was forced to fire Crean against his will, etc.) and the revisionist history.

Whether good or bad, the decision to keep Bill Lynch, keep Mike Davis, keep Tom Crean, not hire Mike Leach, hire Tom Allen, and multiple other IU athletic decisions mentioned on this site must be looked at in the context of the time those decisions were made. Of course some of those things look bad in hindsight. So do a lot of decisions I made in my professional and personal life.

The people who made those decisions in the moment didn't get the benefit of looking 5 or 10 years into the future and realizing that they were making the wrong decision. And anyone here who says he would have known it was wrong and made the correct decision is a charlatan.

Pretty easy to fancy oneself a modern-day Nostradamus when you get to look in a rearview mirror.

Exactly. I don't mind the criticism of Tom Allen. I have plenty myself. What drives me crazy are the baseless conspiracy theories ( President gave orders to hire cheap, Glass was forced to fire Crean against his will, etc.) and the revisionist history.

Whether good or bad, the decision to keep Bill Lynch, keep Mike Davis, keep Tom Crean, not hire Mike Leach, hire Tom Allen, and multiple other IU athletic decisions mentioned on this site must be looked at in the context of the time those decisions were made. Of course some of those things look bad in hindsight. So do a lot of decisions I made in my professional and personal life.

The people who made those decisions in the moment didn't get the benefit of looking 5 or 10 years into the future and realizing that they were making the wrong decision. And anyone here who says he would have known it was wrong and made the correct decision is a charlatan.

Pretty easy to fancy oneself a modern-day Nostradamus when you get to look in a rearview mirror.
I agree with much of your sentiment here. That said, coaching hires weigh heavily in an AD's overall performance. Miller and Allen are, in my view, Glass's last chance to get it right.

I'm not convinced McRobbie cares like we do about football. I'm not even sure he is a basketball fan. He is a university president from Australia. My director is from the UK and doesn't understand why we drink and eat in a car park and are so crazy about college sports.

McRobbie may think we are placing too much focus on athletics. IU may never have a president and AD that has a vision to invest in a winning football program.

I would hope someone finally realizes how much money they could make from a football program that sells out a stadium.
Oh man you realize that entire post was a semantic spiral...you had one doubt that led to 100 more based on...well...knowing nothing. Not smart...don't do that to yourself...it hurts...

Thank you for a great post...all in vain but hey...how else do old farts like us keep busy?.….vbg...keep 'em firing!"

I agree with much of your sentiment here. That said, coaching hires weigh heavily in an AD's overall performance. Miller and Allen are, in my view, Glass's last chance to get it right.
I certainly wont say you are wrong here. But do we really know what criteria he will be evaluated by? He does have many successes just not on the two big ones yet. Not sure he is on the hot seat at all yet...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bill Lynch carried the tag "Interim Head Coach" throughout the 2007 season. When he put IU in a bowl game, it was pretty hard to rationalize dumping him.

Do any of you CTA antagonists think that maybe Glass looked at the incredible defensive improvement in 2016, combined with the other attributes CTA brings to the table, and felt he had a home run hire sitting in the IU house ready to go?
It’s clear that Glass made the decision to hire Allen based on that one year, which is the problem. A more seasoned AD with a background of hiring coaches would’ve taken a longer view and made sure that a number of candidates were considered prior to making the hire.

Would that approach ensure success? Of course not, as nothing is guaranteed. But success would’ve been far more likely had that more mature and thoughtful process been undertaken.

As it is, Allen will get at least two more years to prove himself at IU, so this is all merely forum discussion while another season plays out into the inevitable result that history tells us it would.

Slightly off topic (but the thread has slightly veered this direction):

Here's an example of what just throwing 3 mil at a coach can buy you: https://www.apnews.com/1c02c4239aef43cab60725b23ed7abe3

Or you could bump that up and get Les Miles... (don't know why you'd want him but you could have him)...

Just throwing money at coaches won't buy you W's...

For a bunch of guys who prior to the start of the season mainly thought our win total would fall around 5 or 6 there sure is a lot of angst floating around.

I think that 6-6 or 7-5 is IUFBs ceiling, unfortunately, unless they do try to hire a big name guy. Perhaps it would be that coach's ceiling, too, given the league IU plays in.

We've seen 2 guys get their "dream job" in Hep and CTA. I think Hep was the right guy and I think he would have built something. I'm not as confident in Tom Allen but that's for another thread.

I think Lynch did a good job under tough circumstances but I also think it was the right time for him to leave. I think Wilson was a god send and I'm still pissed that he was fired for being mean.

We've seen IU hire every type of coach EXCEPT the big named guy. If things don't work out for Allen I think they should go that route. Because Why not? Nothing else has worked. Let's see if that does.

Just my .02

A more seasoned AD
You've made this same argument as "Larry" and under other user names. It didn't make sense then and it doesn't make sense now. If you want to argue that Glass has made hiring mistakes, stinks as an AD, etc., fine. But arguing that he's not "seasoned," and that this was reflected in his hiring of Allen, is just dumb. Glass had been an AD for eight years when Allen was promoted to HC, and had experience hiring coaches.

I'm not as confident in Tom Allen but that's for another thread.
Don't kid yourself. It's for this thread, too. Gradman, fpeaugh, Crimson Crock and Sonny Steele (a/k/a every name in the history of humankind) will make sure of that.

I'm not convinced McRobbie cares like we do about football. I'm not even sure he is a basketball fan. He is a university president from Australia. My director is from the UK and doesn't understand why we drink and eat in a car park and are so crazy about college sports.

McRobbie may think we are placing too much focus on athletics. IU may never have a president and AD that has a vision to invest in a winning football program.

I would hope someone finally realizes how much money they could make from a football program that sells out a stadium.
If both of them really did not care about football they would have not put all of those millions of dollars to upgrade the facilities.

No disagreement about the importance of those two. I think Miller was a home run hire. If he can recruit at a high level there is no question he will be highly successful here. This guy can flat-out coach.

I'm not going to give up on TA yet, unlike many here. I think it's a tougher job than most of us want to admit and that the players he inherited were worse than most of us realized. We are competitive even against tough competition. Still, he has to stop losing the toss-up games on the road and demonstrate that his team can occasionally pull off an upset at home.

I'm not quick to sour on coaches but we have to display some diversity and find some creativity on offense or big changes need to happen with the staff this off-season.

If Glass' new hires in WBB, softball, volleyball, and baseball all continue to elevate their programs, and Miller elevates the MBB program I don't see FG in trouble over the Allen hire. But I can see pressure from boosters to go a different direction sooner rather than later if the FB program doesn't show marked progress next year.

look this up too - how many of those games did Coach Brohmbardi have to play with a 1st or 2nd year QB? (I’ll give you the IU answer - the next time Allen plays a 3rd year QB will be his first, or maybe you feel QB play doesn’t matter, in which case we can all quit bitching about Ramsey.)

Aw hell, I won’t make ya look it up.
He’s played 4 ranked Big Ten Teams.
Allen played 5 last year.
He played 4 already this year and has 1 more to go.
With inexperienced QBs.

Actually, CTA had a 5th year senior QB last year that had finished in the top two or three in passing yards the season before. Additionally, after Brohm beat Ohio State, the whole B1G East/West argument lost some merit. Well, that, and beating the Iowa team that pillaged our town last month.

Playing ranked teams is cool...beating three ranked teams in one season is cooler. This is not even a debate at this point. I think Brohm leaves for Louisville in December, but Purdue definitely has changed the narrative and the trajectory of both programs.

I think we needed to upgrade the facilities and the stadium before we could lure a more season coach and get a high quality staff. I would say that a Les Miles if that is a big name that some might want would had looked at the facilities and laughed and said no right away.

Actually, CTA had a 5th year senior QB last year that had finished in the top two or three in passing yards the season before. Additionally, after Brohm beat Ohio State, the whole B1G East/West argument lost some merit. Well, that, and beating the Iowa team that pillaged our town last month.

Playing ranked teams is cool...beating three ranked teams in one season is cooler. This is not even a debate at this point. I think Brohm leaves for Louisville in December, but Purdue definitely has changed the narrative and the trajectory of both programs.

Lagow came here from juco - he played at IU for 2 years - 2016 and 2017, and even he split time with Sudfeld [edit - Zander] in 2016.

Ramsey redshirted as a 2016 freshman, and played 9 games (4 starts) in 2017, splitting time with .Lagow and getting hurt.

Sudfeld was the last guy we had to play 3 in seasons. And the last time we had serious continuity was Chappell/Matt Canada, who basically were on the same team for 2007 - 2010.

This is another problem with another problem - "fire the OC - the new guy will fix it all quick!"

Nope.

Even Lagow discussed how hard it was to adjust to a new offense every year.
He had to learn 4 in 5 years (if you include Oklahoma State and juco).

He came here and learned one offense from Wilson/Kevin Johns, then had to re-learn one with DeBord.
That stuff matters - it takes a while to get it right.
Thinking ain't playing.

But The Hickory Barbershop Crowd has ZERO patience.
Building a program means "win now or get fired after 2 years" or "win now or get benched for No. 2 guy".

Spent $85 million and planning to spend $3,000,000 more? "You are refusing to invest in football"

This is what our staff is up against.
A fan base as dumb as they come.

I used to marvel at how fans would not stand up and walk 30 yards to stand by the road as Hep and his team walked in from the busses.
30 yards.
Too much trouble.

Listened to guys boo Lynch as he ran the ball and forced Tiller to use his time outs, so he had none after Starr hit the FG in 2007. Football Fools. Had zero idea what was going on.

Everybody thinks like a basketball guy - "get a couple players and whip Ohio State's ass NOW"

Last edited:
If both of them really did not care about football they would have not put all of those millions of dollars to upgrade the facilities.
They did what was necessary to keep pace. We aren't ahead of many with our facilities. Our upgrades were more maintaining than upgrading. A lot of money was donated and earmarked especially for the projects to make the changes to SSAH and Memorial Stadium.

Reactions: IUgradman
They did what was necessary to keep pace. We aren't ahead of many with our facilities. Our upgrades were more maintaining than upgrading. A lot of money was donated and earmarked especially for the projects to make the changes to SSAH and Memorial Stadium.
If they did not care like you say they don't then why would they do enough for us to keep up with the others. If they did not care they would not care and put up the money for us to keep up with the others.

Reactions: ESalum86
I'm not quick to sour on coaches but we have to display some diversity and find some creativity on offense or big changes need to happen with the staff this off-season.
My hunch is that, barring a 2-1 finish (and even that might not guarantee his return), we're in the market for a new OC.

Reactions: Hoosiers Rising
Oh man you realize that entire post was a semantic spiral...you had one doubt that led to 100 more based on...well...knowing nothing. Not smart...don't do that to yourself...it hurts...
And you comment without knowing ... well anything. This thread reminded me of a conversation I had with a trustee I know (he grew up in Indiana, lives near me, loves basketball and football and yells at the TV like we do) last year about basketball and football support at the highest level. There was another conversation earlier about what the administration thought about basketball. Basically, McRobbie understands that failure to maintain a good basketball program is bad for him and the university. There is no pressure to hire a big time football coach and win immediately.

If McRobbie had a passion for football, the trustees and most surely the AD would know. That is why we hired Allen. He was good enough. He isn't disappointing McRobbie.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
It’s clear that Glass made the decision to hire Allen based on that one year, which is the problem. A more seasoned AD with a background of hiring coaches would’ve taken a longer view and made sure that a number of candidates were considered prior to making the hire.

Would that approach ensure success? Of course not, as nothing is guaranteed. But success would’ve been far more likely had that more mature and thoughtful process been undertaken.

As it is, Allen will get at least two more years to prove himself at IU, so this is all merely forum discussion while another season plays out into the inevitable result that history tells us it would.
The big thing people have to understand about the TA hire is just how badly Glass felt burned by KWs off field issues. If you understand that, you understand why he wanted Allen so badly.

The only man to produce even a decent defense literally in decades was about to be snapped up by a name program and gone.

I’m not sure I would have made that same decision or done it in the same way FG did, but it does make sense to me.

Reactions: UncleMark and 76-1
The big thing people have to understand about the TA hire is just how badly Glass felt burned by KWs off field issues. If you understand that, you understand why he wanted Allen so badly.

The only man to produce even a decent defense literally in decades was about to be snapped up by a name program and gone.

I’m not sure I would have made that same decision or done it in the same way FG did, but it does make sense to me.
Oh, I agree that Allen’s personal conduct was probably an issue for Glass, and it’s not hard to blame him for being influenced by that. But Wilson didn’t become rough around the edges or engage in questionable behavior only after arriving in Bloomington. There were long time whispers about KW and his affinity for beverages, even as he was well recognized for his expertise as an offensive coach. It was always strongly rumored as one of the reasons he never got a head coaching sniff. A seasoned AD with a track record of hiring coaches likely would’ve been aware of that before interviewing and subsequently hiring him though, and he certainly would’ve managed him more effectively after the stories started mounting of his thirsty, grab-assing proclivities, as well as his creative use of plumbing fixtures. Glass’s lack of experience, however, has been the gift that keeps on giving, and Allen-as-coach without any due diligence was yet another example of it. Nice guy, light resume, and he’s struggling. I realize some people probably think it’s dumb to point out the obvious cause and effect relationship here, but the alternative is to declare Glass incompetent, and that seems overly harsh.

But Wilson didn’t become rough around the edges or engage in questionable behavior only after arriving in Bloomington. There were long time whispers about KW and his affinity for beverages, even as he was well recognized for his expertise as an offensive coach. It was always strongly rumored as one of the reasons he never got a head coaching sniff.
There you go again - - making controversial claims without any support. And I'm talking about his pre-IU behavior. Rumored by whom? You? Where were these whispers? What were they based on? What evidence do you have for any of this?

And you comment without knowing ... well anything. This thread reminded me of a conversation I had with a trustee I know (he grew up in Indiana, lives near me, loves basketball and football and yells at the TV like we do) last year about basketball and football support at the highest level. There was another conversation earlier about what the administration thought about basketball. Basically, McRobbie understands that failure to maintain a good basketball program is bad for him and the university. There is no pressure to hire a big time football coach and win immediately.

If McRobbie had a passion for football, the trustees and most surely the AD would know. That is why we hired Allen. He was good enough. He isn't disappointing McRobbie.
Typical...lol...you just cant escape yourself, can you?...vbg

That's the problem with a limited intellect...vbg

Great hire, great coach, and I'm glad we've got him. At P5 schools, though, (and forgive me for stating the obvious) the focus is primarily football and hoops, and the revenue these sports generate.

I don't disagree - but an AD that spends all the money on football and hoops will eventually face other problems - including Title IX.

Yeagley has to recruit too - so does field hockey.

Can't fire a coach, hire another and say "you won't get what you need to be successful - live with what you have."

If they did not care like you say they don't then why would they do enough for us to keep up with the others. If they did not care they would not care and put up the money for us to keep up with the others.
Pay attention, they care about the program, but not enough to invest into the people and facilities to win at the highest level. The cost to compete with OSU, UM, and MSU is not acceptable. We are doing what it takes to finish in the middle of the pack, no more. Middle of the pack teams can go to bowl games. Middle of the pack teams can sometimes rise a rung or two if the team is lucky or other teams are down.

I have never seen evidence we aspire to be any better than middle of the B1G.

Reactions: IUgradman
Well I wouldn’t expect the new coach to keep Debord. So yes, we’ll likely be hiring someone new.
Bwaahahaha. Your comment is either an attempt at humor, or delusional.

P.S. I again remind you that, just a few weeks ago, you said you were withholding judgment on the HC until the season was over. That position lasted all of a couple of hours.

Typical...lol...you just cant escape yourself, can you?...vbg

That's the problem with a limited intellect...vbg
Funny. I thought the same about you. Maybe it would help if I drew some pictures for you?

Almost forgot .... vbg!

Well I wouldn’t expect the new coach to keep Debord. So yes, we’ll likely be hiring someone new.
Allen is safe this year and next year. If he evaluates the season and doesn't make any changes, his chance to survive after next year is nil. He can survive if he makes a good hire at OC, special teams, and hires a DC that is similar to him in his approach.

I am really interested to see if he values loyalty more than making the program better.

Reactions: td75
Pay attention, they care about the program, but not enough to invest into the people and facilities to win at the highest level. The cost to compete with OSU, UM, and MSU is not acceptable. We are doing what it takes to finish in the middle of the pack, no more. Middle of the pack teams can go to bowl games. Middle of the pack teams can sometimes rise a rung or two if the team is lucky or other teams are down.

I have never seen evidence we aspire to be any better than middle of the B1G.
We will never compete with OSU or Um because there revenue is pretty much 2 times than IU's. They get more revenue from one football game than IU does for the whole season so how do you expect us to compete financially with those programs. I checked last week and IU is 10th in the big ten and 32nd in the country in revenue at around 96Mil where OSU and UM is around 160Mil. IU last year finished 15th in the Capital's athletics so to me the programs are competing quit well with how much revenue they generate.

Last edited:
I've answered your question 3 times asshole.

Either you can't or won't read.

Enjoy your punk ass life on the free boards

You're on ignore.

Let's be real clear for the stupid:

I never said Allen would be better than Brohm - I always said I thought they were both good coaches who faced different circumstances. You attempt to change that to make yourself look better.

And yes - I said when Allen proved to be a good hire, I'd shove it down the throats of the IU "fans" who were crapping on him unfairly too soon - guys like YOU - guys who were at the time making the stupid then stupid now argument that IU admin hates football and wont invest in it - even after almost $90,000,000 was spent.

You are here to start fights and insult - not to discuss.

Good bye.

Reactions: IUCol and Lillyr66
I disagree about Leach.

He was a controversial figure that had just been released from Tech. No one even offered him.

We were coming off of our 2nd straight 1-7 B10 tilt. Pretty obvious what we had.

Look at where Leach ended up. Pullman? They were the bottom of the barrel in the PAC. But Leach isn't afraid of that.

I'm certain that if we had cut Lynch loose a year earlier, and offered Leach $3MM when his stock was low...he would have come here. We would have locked into exactly what we needed, an unconventional mad scientist, falling right into our hands.

We had the window, but "waited another year". By then, his stock was manageable, Wazzu correctly understood they had nothing to lose, and the rest is history.
Leach wouldn’t have worked here and would have been similar to CKW. I’ll make a bold statement but I have some logic to defend it... If CKW had gone to wazzu he’d have similar success to Leach. The reason is that the PAC/BIG 12 have no defense. Leach and CKW are better suited for that league, or to be offensive coordinators in any other league. They are not suited to be head coaches in the big 12 due to their lack of defensive experience. It just isn’t emphasized. You can go to the Big 12 and have no physicality, no fun defense, and put 220 pound linebackers out there and win. Not going to happen in the Big Ten and that’s ultimately why CKW wasn’t successful. Based on what I’ve seen, CKW is nearly as good as an OC is Leach, and CKW has similar passion. IMHO what you got from CKW is what you would’ve gotten from Lynch.

I do agree that IU should get an experienced coach however. There may be someone available with ties to this league, or the NFL. I think that getting an NFL assistant is what IU should target. Someone who will bring attitude, physicality, and a no nonsense attitude. But as others have noted, he might be “too mean” for the administrations liking.

Reactions: bang63 and IUCol
Oh, I agree that Allen’s personal conduct was probably an issue for Glass, and it’s not hard to blame him for being influenced by that. But Wilson didn’t become rough around the edges or engage in questionable behavior only after arriving in Bloomington. There were long time whispers about KW and his affinity for beverages, even as he was well recognized for his expertise as an offensive coach. It was always strongly rumored as one of the reasons he never got a head coaching sniff. A seasoned AD with a track record of hiring coaches likely would’ve been aware of that before interviewing and subsequently hiring him though, and he certainly would’ve managed him more effectively after the stories started mounting of his thirsty, grab-assing proclivities, as well as his creative use of plumbing fixtures. Glass’s lack of experience, however, has been the gift that keeps on giving, and Allen-as-coach without any due diligence was yet another example of it. Nice guy, light resume, and he’s struggling. I realize some people probably think it’s dumb to point out the obvious cause and effect relationship here, but the alternative is to declare Glass incompetent, and that seems overly harsh.
I believe you are correct. Someone that is close enough to know things told me (within months of hiring Wilson) “we just didn’t do enough homework on this guy” referring to his demeanor/behavior etc. etc.

I believe you are correct. Someone that is close enough to know things told me (within months of hiring Wilson) “we just didn’t do enough homework on this guy” referring to his demeanor/behavior etc. etc.

That is inexcusable and reveals we have idiots running things over on 17th Street.

That is inexcusable and reveals we have idiots running things over on 17th Street.
So...just so I understand with my limited capability...that "not doing homework" equals being an idiot? Every time? Damn...guess a lot of people (look in the mirror) are gonna fall into that bucket...

I guess that s the final word. Blow it up...halleluiah!

What a joke this is...

There is an old adage...the less you know, the louder you speak...think about it...and the ignorant shout...

Reactions: Superstar84b
Basically, McRobbie understands that failure to maintain a good basketball program is bad for him and the university. There is no pressure to hire a big time football coach and win immediately.

McRobbie doesn't care about sports, generally. He's an academic. (And rightly so.) All that matters to him is that the department be self supporting and that it not embarrass the University by cheating or by behavioral issues. For that latter reason, if McRobbie had any concerns about football, he may have had some influence on CKW's departure.

McRobbie doesn't care about sports, generally. He's an academic. (And rightly so.) All that matters to him is that the department be self supporting and that it not embarrass the University by cheating or by behavioral issues. For that latter reason, if McRobbie had any concerns about football, he may have had some influence on CKW's departure.
I think the guy personally likes some sports. He's at games all the time, many sports. But he cant worry about a sideline of the university. He has much bigger fish to fry.

Reactions: Lillyr66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT