ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs Maryland

So there were 3 P5 caliber players and iu recruited 2 of them, one of which they waited until he was solid with Purdue?
2024 in state class sucks. IU put its resources into others. It’s not freaking hard to fig….. well maybe it is. 😑

And again, that "core" wouldn't be anything without Edey. Take him away from this year's team and I don't think they are top 25. Now, give him a year and his incoming class and maybe he'll get them to top 25 or at least in that range, but Edey is the only reason they are where they are.
He was ranked 436 coming out of high school. IU has 3 five star players. Who would you take, your 5 stars or Edey?
I would think having that many 5 stars would have them in the top 15. What gives?

So there were 3 P5 caliber players and iu recruited 2 of them, one of which they waited until he was solid with Purdue?
Huh?

They recruited Flory hard until the end. Catchings committed to Purdue as a sophomore before anyone (IU included) else went at him hard. Benter isn’t worth the minutes even on an unlimited plan. IU does fine on the in-state kids they prioritize and I expect that trend to continue in the 2025 class.

Huh?

They recruited Flory hard until the end. Catchings committed to Purdue as a sophomore before anyone (IU included) else went at him hard. Benter isn’t worth the minutes even on an unlimited plan. IU does fine on the in-state kids they prioritize and I expect that trend to continue in the 2025 class.
I’ve watched Cline, Mathias, Sasha, and Loyer enough to know Benter will be just fine.

I guess they should have started recruiting Catchings earlier.

He was ranked 436 coming out of high school. IU has 3 five star players. Who would you take, your 5 stars or Edey?
I would think having that many 5 stars would have them in the top 15. What gives?
My discussion has nothing to do with IU; it's that I think this year's (and last years) Purdue team would be pretty pedestrian without Edey. I think you'd probably still be a tourney team and top half of the B10, but I'm not even sure you'd be top 25.

Huh?

You think? I think we could do a better job with in-state kids personally. That to me is a great opportunity to fill out rosters and develop that "Indiana Way" program feel. I think PU has kicked our butts in that regard. I'd say CMW has done well getting the top end talent, but not developing it or a roster.

Reactions: BigMobe and BoilerN
You think? I think we could do a better job with in-state kids personally. That to me is a great opportunity to fill out rosters and develop that "Indiana Way" program feel. I think PU has kicked our butts in that regard. I'd say CMW has done well getting the top end talent, but not developing it or a roster.
There's plenty of in-state kids (Sparks, Gunn, Leal) who fill-in the roster who haven't amounted to anything. There were two in-state kids worth pursuing this cycle: Flory and Catchings. As stated above IU went hard after Flory until he said no and Catchings committed to Purdue well before he blew up.

IU is heavily involved with multiple in-state kids in the 25 class. Haralson, Sisley, and Mullins are being heavily recruited. Stink Robinson has also been offered and his recruitment is picking up steam. I'm all for recruiting Indiana kids. I also want the best kids though. Sometimes they aren't mutually exclusive.

Burton at ND has been playing well and getting a ton of minutes. Better than any of our guards from what I've seen.

There's plenty of in-state kids (Sparks, Gunn, Leal) who fill-in the roster who haven't amounted to anything. There were two in-state kids worth pursuing this cycle: Flory and Catchings. As stated above IU went hard after Flory until he said no and Catchings committed to Purdue well before he blew up.

IU is heavily involved with multiple in-state kids in the 25 class. Haralson, Sisley, and Mullins are being heavily recruited. Stink Robinson has also been offered and his recruitment is picking up steam. I'm all for recruiting Indiana kids. I also want the best kids though. Sometimes they aren't mutually exclusive.
You keep saying 2 like Benter can’t play at P5. But there are enough examples with Purdue and IU to suggest there were 3 P5 players in the 2024 class. As mentioned, Benter isn’t likely to be a stud, but a 4 year contributor that’s going to make a ton of 3’s with a high ball IQ. Glad Purdue landed he and Catchings.

Reactions: Monk1014
Staff went hard after Flory. Didn't get him, such is life. I can't think of one other 2024 in-state prospect IU is missing out on.

2025 is a different matter and IU is going extremely hard after the 3 top in-state kids and has an offer out to the a 4th.

Huh?

So IU couldn't use Jack Benter... a shooter who understands how to move the ball? I'm guessing the same was said about Fletcher Loyer or Braden Smith?

Reactions: Emartin70287
So IU couldn't use Jack Benter... a shooter who understands how to move the ball? I'm guessing the same was said about Fletcher Loyer or Braden Smith?
Who was bound to be a top 10 scorer in state history before getting injured.

Maybe when you say IU is doing fine with the IN kids we prioritize, you just mean in landing them. Gunn and Leal would be 2 examples of IN kids that I don't think we've gotten much of anything out of in their time here, other than practice players. That was how I was interpreting it: we're not getting enough out of the IN kids on our roster.

Maybe when you say IU is doing fine with the IN kids we prioritize, you just mean in landing them. Gunn and Leal would be 2 examples of IN kids that I don't think we've gotten much of anything out of in their time here, other than practice players. That was how I was interpreting it: we're not getting enough out of the IN kids on our roster.
There's two in-state kids in the 2024 class who will amount to anything more than just practice players at the B10 level. IU recruited both. IU's best player each of the last 4 seasons has been an Indiana kid. Archie landed a bunch of in-state kids and most ended up being flops. IU typically gets who they want in-state and the success of each have all been mixed bags the last several years ranging from AA caliber player to D2 caliber player.

But it proves the recruiting will always be a bit of a crapshoot no matter how players are rated. Look at what Brad Stevens did at Butler.
I don't care where Benter is rated if he's even rated at all. He's a one-dimensional player without the handle or athleticism to play at this level of basketball.

He's lack of offers from a single other P5 program, that is unless you're counting Liberty and Indiana State as P5 programs.
They don’t come because he committed so early. Was in discussions with a few others.

He will be effective, similar to Mathias as a player.

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
They don’t come because he committed so early. Was in discussions with a few others.

He will be effective, similar to Mathias as a player.
He's the same caliber/type of guard that Painter has predominantly recruited for the las 20 years.

And Purdue fans still wonder why their teams can't beat Little Rock-Arkansas or Fairleigh Dickinson in the tournament.

The thing about it is when you're chasing the most recent shiny object to fill gaps for next season, you can't spend time trying to find the next kid that is going to "blow up."

Painter and Purdue are FANTASTIC at finding kids before they blow up. It's not an accident that Purdue locked in on Catchings early. I don't think IU can out-recruit Purdue in Indiana with the current staff at both schools.

IU is left to buy a team and hope to construct a roster that will play together, but that's just not looking like a good formula for success -- and even if it works, the good players aren't sticking around long enough at IU to change the culture.

IU has a systemic problem, and there is no easy fix. It's looking like Woodson isn't the guy to figure it out, either.

Painter and Purdue are FANTASTIC at finding kids before they blow up. It's not an accident that Purdue locked in on Catchings early. I don't think IU can out-recruit Purdue in Indiana with the current staff at both schools
Purdue has no shot of landing any of the big time in-state kids next year. If Purdue wants to continue to out-recruit Indiana for in-state kids like Jack Benter....have at it.

Purdue has no shot of landing any of the big time in-state kids next year. If Purdue wants to continue to out-recruit Indiana for in-state kids like Jack Benter....have at it.

I have no idea whether Jack Benter will blow up or not. But I know he will play and fill the role the team needs him to do, even if that role is on the bench.

Not every recruit has to be a home-run, 5-star get. That's the thing that IU doesn't seem to get right now. You're constructing pieces to a puzzle. Every piece fits into the puzzle in its own way. You can't make the whole picture if all you have are edge pieces.

IU is great at getting talented players. But who cares if that talent doesn't ever do anything while at IU?

Shiny objects are fun, but that doesn't mean they all have utility. IU needs much more utility when looking at its backcourt and roster.

I have no idea whether Jack Benter will blow up or not. But I know he will play and fill the role the team needs him to do, even if that role is on the bench.
IU doesn't need to recruit 4-5 year bench players out of high school in the portal era.
Not every recruit has to be a home-run, 5-star get. That's the thing that IU doesn't seem to get right now. You're constructing pieces to a puzzle. Every piece fits into the puzzle in its own way. You can't make the whole picture if all you have are edge pieces.
There's a huge difference in recruiting role players and then recruiting players of Benter's caliber. You still have to possess the ability to play at this level, even as a role player. Benter isn't one of those guys.
IU is great at getting talented players. But who cares if that talent doesn't ever do anything while at IU?
IU's guards are terrible. That is the problem. Love Galloway but he's not a lead guard and he's being forced to play that role. Recruiting someone like Jack Benter would still leave you with a guard problem that would need to be addressed every off-season.
Shiny objects are fun, but that doesn't mean they all have utility. IU needs much more utility when looking at its backcourt and roster.
Agreed. They need talented guards and guys who can create their own shot. That isn't Benter.

Well, not counting the LaLu guys, Purdue is recruiting one of them for one open scholarship, so not really a bold statement. But I’ll take 1000 career points from a guy like Benter as a role player to complement really good players.

Benter is a high IQ, athletic enough 6’6 210 SG that can get to the rim and shoot anywhere from outside. He’s a great shooter and a better passer. He might not be ultra athletic, but he’s athletic enough.

Then again, you said smith was a reach in high school as well probably. Whatever Mike Woodson is doing now is working apparently, so keep on keeping on.

Why does IU have a better shot at Haralson than Purdue? Purdue has and is recruiting him heavily just like IU.

Assistant coach Terry Johnson grew up with Jalens dad and is close with the whole family. Purdue has been recruiting Jalen for a good amount of years and was one of the first to offer him. His mom also went to Purdue.

Tbh, I’d be shocked if he stays in state once he graduates from La Lu…but Purdue has just as much of a shot as IU.

There's two in-state kids in the 2024 class who will amount to anything more than just practice players at the B10 level. IU recruited both. IU's best player each of the last 4 seasons has been an Indiana kid. Archie landed a bunch of in-state kids and most ended up being flops. IU typically gets who they want in-state and the success of each have all been mixed bags the last several years ranging from AA caliber player to D2 caliber player.
You're analysis of instate kids basically comes down to TJD then. Who are you saying is our best player this year: Galloway?? CMW didn't recruit TJD, although he did re-recruit him and I think did a good job developing him. But, with him out of the equation I think our instate recruiting and success has been pretty bad. You said we mostly get who we want, but then said we didn't get either 2024 player who could make an impact. That indicates a problem. Then when the instate kids we do have are Gunn, Leal, Galloway and Sparks, that's not a core of guys who are giving us much. Contrast that with PUs instate kids: Smith, Loyer, Colvin, Furst and Kaufman. You still think we're doing "fine" with instate kids? I don't see it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT