ADVERTISEMENT

PU gets UCLA QB grad transfer

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
Will give Brohm credit, this could be a good one -year solution who will have a strong WR crew to throw to, but still ask, how strong will his OL be? And the defense isn’t top of league elite either. Every team working hard to get better, IU just has to stay focused!

Will give Brohm credit, this could be a good one -year solution who will have a strong WR crew to throw to, but still ask, how strong will his OL be? And the defense isn’t top of league elite either. Every team working hard to get better, IU just has to stay focused!

He has two years of eligibility. PAC-12 QB’s transferring to Big Ten appears trendy even if all they do is serve as backups.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think it's a smart pickup by PU. It's not a major transfer like Jalen Hurts or anything, but I'd love to have gotten a older transfer QB to fill out the room, especially if it's a kid that isn't going to be a diva about "needing" to start (which of course we don't know the situation with his attitude). We all know about critical depth is.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
He was a back up on a bad UCLA team, but he adds competition to their QB room. Still think McConnel is their best option. He was very impressive last season.

He was a back up on a bad UCLA team, but he adds competition to their QB room. Still think McConnel is their best option. He was very impressive last season.

Burton will add a dimension that Blough provided. It adds the RPO which does not exist with O’Connell. A mobile QB who is an accurate passer with great receivers is manna from heaven for an untested OL. Purdue will have a new 4 star RB and more experience for other backs. Very difficult to double team Moore, cover Bell, stop the run and deal with a QB with wheels who can throw on the run.

I never have seen Burton play, but I thought Plummer was Blough-ish in his mobility with a good arm. Don't know about Burton, but Plummer and O'Connell have some game experience against good teams. However, I think Plummer comes out as the starter. Either way, there is some serious depth at quarterback for Purdue.

You never know how transfers will work out. Just like Tuttle has shown being a highly rated QB that transfers doesn't mean they will be the starter. Highly rated QB should give more depth to QB rooms but that may be the limit.

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
I think PU has good young QB's. Its always good to have depth on your roster and having veteran depth is a really smart move. Both PU and IU have had to learn that the hard way the last few years.

I like both Plummer and O’Connell. I trust Burton and Alaimo will strengthen the QB room. Wherever they all end up on the depth chart, I just hope everyone stays healthy and we’re not playing half the season with the 4th option again. It’s fun to see young guys grow, but I’d prefer they get to do it when they’re ready.

I like both Plummer and O’Connell. I trust Burton and Alaimo will strengthen the QB room. Wherever they all end up on the depth chart, I just hope everyone stays healthy and we’re not playing half the season with the 4th option again. It’s fun to see young guys grow, but I’d prefer they get to do it when they’re ready.
i thought it was the 7th option?

Reactions: indiana ed
Burton will add a dimension that Blough provided. It adds the RPO which does not exist with O’Connell. A mobile QB who is an accurate passer with great receivers is manna from heaven for an untested OL. Purdue will have a new 4 star RB and more experience for other backs. Very difficult to double team Moore, cover Bell, stop the run and deal with a QB with wheels who can throw on the run.
Moore and Bell are great, however the jury is still out, way out on any QB's and RB's.

I never have seen Burton play, but I thought Plummer was Blough-ish in his mobility with a good arm. Don't know about Burton, but Plummer and O'Connell have some game experience against good teams. However, I think Plummer comes out as the starter. Either way, there is some serious depth at quarterback for Purdue.

And not one of them anywhere near the talent level of Penix.

Wommack will have to figure out that Brohm will work to attack the weakness of the defense not just run plays. It isn't easy when a coach has a system to counter what the defense is doing but a defense can attack and put enough pressure on the offense to slow them down.

Wommack will have to figure out that Brohm will work to attack the weakness of the defense not just run plays. It isn't easy when a coach has a system to counter what the defense is doing but a defense can attack and put enough pressure on the offense to slow them down.

The two most important players on the field this season, IMO, are going to be Taylor & Mullen. Unless the D-line goes beast mode out there, the best way we have to get pressure & cause takeaways is the blitz. And those guys being able to hold their own out there in single coverage is going to be everything. Not just against PU with their weapons, but against any of the big 3.

If the jury is out on 589 yards of total offense and 41 points just what does that say the guys on the other side of the line of scrimmage?
Probably says the same thing as there are a lot of unanswered questions for the D next year, but your post wasn't about those guys it was about a leap of faith with some people who quite frankly haven't performed all that well or haven't even played at all.

And not one of them anywhere near the talent level of Penix.
O'Connell is in my mind a late bloomer. He did well to finish the season. However, I really like Plummer who came in after Sindelar went down. He seems to be talented in his own right. Penix may be talented but since he has been hurt a lot, I have not seen much of him, not that I watch a lot of IU football anyhow. I do know one thing, Penix as talented as he may be, he does not have Rondale Moore, David Bell, and Milton Wright to throw to. Defenses are going to have to pick their poison. Ain't going to be much double teaming.

O'Connell is in my mind a late bloomer. He did well to finish the season. However, I really like Plummer who came in after Sindelar went down. He seems to be talented in his own right. Penix may be talented but since he has been hurt a lot, I have not seen much of him, not that I watch a lot of IU football anyhow. I do know one thing, Penix as talented as he may be, he does not have Rondale Moore, David Bell, and Milton Wright to throw to. Defenses are going to have to pick their poison. Ain't going to be much double teaming.

Purdue might have the best WR group in the conference.

Bro. We have Philyor, Fryfogle, Rashawn Williams. We have a bunch of All Big Ten Caliber guys too. We also have Hendershot, probably the best TE in the Big Ten and Stevie Scott one of the best RBs in the Big Ten. Along with a solid O-line. Just “consistent” QB play next year and their offense will be just as good as Purdues. With probably a better defense.

I do enjoy the Purdue fans citing the health of Micheal Penix. Lol. You guys are terrified of him being healthy. I would be too. He’s the most talented QB that I’ve ever seen here. He looks like Tua on the field. I hope he’s more durable going forward.

Bro. We have Philyor, Fryfogle, Rashawn Williams. We have a bunch of All Big Ten Caliber guys too. We also have Hendershot, probably the best TE in the Big Ten and Stevie Scott one of the best RBs in the Big Ten. Along with a solid O-line. Just “consistent” QB play next year and their offense will be just as good as Purdues. With probably a better defense.

You have some solid WR’s but top to bottom, Purdue has the better WR room than you and it’s not close. 2 4* WR coming in that are ranked higher than Rashawn Williams. You guys have us beat at QB and RB but WR isn’t close. Whop would be our 3rd best WR.

Last edited:
I do enjoy the Purdue fans citing the health of Micheal Penix. Lol. You guys are terrified of him being healthy. I would be too. He’s the most talented QB that I’ve ever seen here. He looks like Tua on the field. I hope he’s more durable going forward.

Why wouldn’t we cite his health? The guy hasn’t made it through a full season. More talented than ARE? Lol

Last edited:
With the Offensive Line the 6 million dollar man has put together they're going to need to be 12-14 deep at QB just to get thru a season.

Any QB headed to p u has a much higher chance of incurring a lower leg injury (due to that joke of "prescription turf" they have loosely tacked on top of a sand box) than at any other major conference school in the nation.

Add that pathetically dangerous turf to an offensive line that makes every play look like a jailbreak screen and you have an injury to the QB a near certainty...

This UCLA guy obviously didn't do his homework before transferring... Here's hoping he studies film the same way...

Last edited:

Hendershot? I haven't kept up on it but is he still on the team?

Hendershot? I haven't kept up on it but is he still on the team?

It's my understanding he's been brought back to the TEAM in a limited role while undergoing treatment for lovesick jealously combined a severe bout of extreme immaturity...

After he receives his final doses of medicine from both the Bloomington Court System and the University decision panel it will be determined whether he is able to remain part of the program...

Mullen is a really outstanding CB, but he held Bell to 9 catches for 136 yards without Moore. There is Wright who played as a freshman. A 4 star and 3 star who redshirted with injuries. Two incoming 4 stars (one is 6-5, 220) and two 3 stars including the third place finisher in the Big Ten indoor 60. The OL played well against your “D” and will be a year older. The defense will be young, but more talented. And there is the juniors RB who gained 164 yards.

This post was started to show how all teams in B10 are improving, not as a love letter to PU. PU does have a great WR room and will play IU tough even if 1-10 going into the game.

But they’ve also had a way of losing some big games along the way too, and they will be coming to Bloomington looking to win back the bucket, not defend it.

If Penix stays healthy and with all the returning experience, I’m very comfortable with IU’s chances next year in the Bucket game!

This post was started to show how all teams in B10 are improving, not as a love letter to PU. PU does have a great WR room and will play IU tough even if 1-10 going into the game.

But they’ve also had a way of losing some big games along the way too, and they will be coming to Bloomington looking to win back the bucket, not defend it.

If Penix stays healthy and with all the returning experience, I’m very comfortable with IU’s chances next year in the Bucket game!

Also, look at the bucket games over the last 30 years. PU leads 17-13 (so 2 wins over it being 50-50) and a lot more close games (one score or less) than blowouts. I'm not the least bit concerned that the series is going to turn into a one-sided rout-fest for years to come. I think any PU fans who don't recognize that IU is rising are not being honest with themselves. And I don't think any IU fans who don't recognize that PU has some serious talent are likewise kidding themselves.

All in all, I think it bodes well for successful football with the two major state programs in Indiana.

Also, look at the bucket games over the last 30 years. PU leads 17-13 (so 2 wins over it being 50-50) and a lot more close games (one score or less) than blowouts. I'm not the least bit concerned that the series is going to turn into a one-sided rout-fest for years to come. I think any PU fans who don't recognize that IU is rising are not being honest with themselves. And I don't think any IU fans who don't recognize that PU has some serious talent are likewise kidding themselves.

All in all, I think it bodes well for successful football with the two major state programs in Indiana.

I would like to see IU and PU as the top two teams in the B1G. Before that happens, if at all, I want both to be important nationally and having a great year going into the bucket game. Imagine the bucket game being one of the big games nationally and how it would help both programs improve.

Mullen is a really outstanding CB, but he held Bell to 9 catches for 136 yards without Moore. There is Wright who played as a freshman. A 4 star and 3 star who redshirted with injuries. Two incoming 4 stars (one is 6-5, 220) and two 3 stars including the third place finisher in the Big Ten indoor 60. The OL played well against your “D” and will be a year older. The defense will be young, but more talented. And there is the juniors RB who gained 164 yards.

No escaping the fact that the next OOB will be a good one...let's just hope there is one. If there isn't one this fall the next one may be without several key players.

Reactions: destewart
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT