ADVERTISEMENT

PU gets UCLA QB grad transfer

Burton will add a dimension that Blough provided. It adds the RPO which does not exist with O’Connell. A mobile QB who is an accurate passer with great receivers is manna from heaven for an untested OL. Purdue will have a new 4 star RB and more experience for other backs. Very difficult to double team Moore, cover Bell, stop the run and deal with a QB with wheels who can throw on the run.
If I'm a Purdue fan, I would say those exact same things, but the problem is you have a very untested OL. If an OL is bad, then it doesn't matter who the QB is or what WRs you have. With a very tough schedule, the offense will go as far as the OL takes it, not the QB or the skill players.

I'm not doubting Burton's abilities as a dual threat. His limited numbers at UCLA proves he can run and throw, but he couldn't win the job on a bad UCLA team, so it's hard to imagine he will win your team's job. However it's just an odd move from my perspective. Does he bring something to the table that isn't in the room already? Idk. Maybe more dynamic legs, but Plummer moved well enough last season. Just seems odd that a supposed QB/offensive minded coach can't find his QB in year 4 and had to resort to a hail Mary grad transfer. And what's worse, Brohm added a 5th scholly QB when other positions are woefully short on people.

I hope it works out for all involved. Brohm is certainly more qualified than I am about his team's personnel decisions. But, Brohm needs this to go well or another bad season coupled with another strong season at IU, and he's in trouble. The momentum clearly has shifted some, but a solid year from him can level it out again.

This post was started to show how all teams in B10 are improving, not as a love letter to PU. PU does have a great WR room and will play IU tough even if 1-10 going into the game.

But they’ve also had a way of losing some big games along the way too, and they will be coming to Bloomington looking to win back the bucket, not defend it.

If Penix stays healthy and with all the returning experience, I’m very comfortable with IU’s chances next year in the Bucket game!
destewart is definitely a passionate fan for his team. He mainly fights a very losing battle here, much like others that go to the Purdue boards and try to logically talk to posters. I can't really blame him for his passion, I have passion too and I'm sure my passion blinds logic sometimes, which we are seeing here. There are many questions marks for all teams right now, and the biggest one is will they even freakin play this season. I hope they do so that we can get questions answered on the field!

If I'm a Purdue fan, I would say those exact same things, but the problem is you have a very untested OL. If an OL is bad, then it doesn't matter who the QB is or what WRs you have. With a very tough schedule, the offense will go as far as the OL takes it, not the QB or the skill players.

I'm not doubting Burton's abilities as a dual threat. His limited numbers at UCLA proves he can run and throw, but he couldn't win the job on a bad UCLA team, so it's hard to imagine he will win your team's job. However it's just an odd move from my perspective. Does he bring something to the table that isn't in the room already? Idk. Maybe more dynamic legs, but Plummer moved well enough last season. Just seems odd that a supposed QB/offensive minded coach can't find his QB in year 4 and had to resort to a hail Mary grad transfer. And what's worse, Brohm added a 5th scholly QB when other positions are woefully short on people.

I hope it works out for all involved. Brohm is certainly more qualified than I am about his team's personnel decisions. But, Brohm needs this to go well or another bad season coupled with another strong season at IU, and he's in trouble. The momentum clearly has shifted some, but a solid year from him can level it out again.

Well, that untested offensive line of 2019, in their final appearance of the year, allowed 1 sack, produced more than 200 yards rushing and put up 589 yards of total offense. One starter from that game is gone and there is only one senior returning. There is a lot more reason for optimism. Now you are obviously really into football so you know that good coaches always are looking beyond the present. If you are transitioning from a pro style QB to a dual threat QB, and you are aware of the greater injury exposure inherent in an RPO QB, you better have enough personnel at that position. IU fans are no strangers to how quickly you can find yourself with a 3rd or 4th string QB in a starter’s role. Not surprisingly, given the HC’s I find your team is probably top heavy defensively and Purdue offensively. I am far more concerned about DL and LB depth than our OL.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Well, that untested offensive line of 2019, in their final appearance of the year, allowed 1 sack, produced more than 200 yards rushing and put up 589 yards of total offense. One starter from that game is gone and there is only one senior returning. There is a lot more reason for optimism. Now you are obviously really into football so you know that good coaches always are looking beyond the present. If you are transitioning from a pro style QB to a dual threat QB, and you are aware of the greater injury exposure inherent in an RPO QB, you better have enough personnel at that position. IU fans are no strangers to how quickly you can find yourself with a 3rd or 4th string QB in a starter’s role. Not surprisingly, given the HC’s I find your team is probably top heavy defensively and Purdue offensively. I am far more concerned about DL and LB depth than our OL.
Strange how you weren't around these parts much from Thanksgiving through January when your sorry asses were sitting home. But here you are again with talk of your beloved Boilers now being championship contenders again. People like you with your obsession about IU fans not giving Purdue proper respect are why IU fans make fun of your "little brother" complex.

Why don't you leave your obsession on GBI with your PUke brethren and leave this board to folks who want to focus on IU football. Most of us here don't give a shit about your preseason Boiler prognosis.

Strange how you weren't around these parts much from Thanksgiving through January when your sorry asses were sitting home. But here you are again with talk of your beloved Boilers now being championship contenders again. People like you with your obsession about IU fans not giving Purdue proper respect are why IU fans make fun of your "little brother" complex.

Why don't you leave your obsession on GBI with your PUke brethren and leave this board to folks who want to focus on IU football. Most of us here don't give a shit about your preseason Boiler prognosis.

Well, maybe the first pandemic in 102 years could be blamed, but I suspect it is because some of your colleagues would love to see both state schools relevant again like the last time you had a share of the Big Ten title and the eyes of the Big Ten in late November were on the Old Oaken Bucket game!

Reactions: vesuvius13
Well, maybe the first pandemic in 102 years could be blamed, but I suspect it is because some of your colleagues would love to see both state schools relevant again like the last time you had a share of the Big Ten title and the eyes of the Big Ten in late November were on the Old Oaken Bucket game!
That may be true but your compulsion to insert backhanded snark into threads offering positive takes on IU football teams or players, and your inability to ignore any criticism of Purdue doesn't go unnoticed. Your spin on how Purdue's offense was so prolific in this years Bucket Game earlier in this thread is particularly pathetic given that you still got beat and ended the season with a losing record and no bowl. That's indicative of the thin-skinned nature of so many Purdue fans and the reason so many are insufferable.

I don't get why fans of other teams get so offended when they see criticism of their team on a rival's fan board that they feel compelled to jump in and defend their team's honor. It should be expected and if it bothers you that much, maybe you shouldn't spend your time there.

So while it may be your opinion that some IU fans want both teams to be relevant and therefore are interested in your hyper-optimistic take on Purdue's gridiron glory, it's my opinion that most here aren't interested in your fandom. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor - especially when it comes to taking a dump in your neighbor's front yard. If you start rambling on about how your kids are so much smarter and better looking than your friends kids, while sitting in your friend's living room, you shouldn't be surprised when he punches you in the nose and tells you to get the hell out of his house.

FYI, RPO does nor mean QB run, its give to RB or throw it
Burton will add a dimension that Blough provided. It adds the RPO which does not exist with O’Connell. A mobile QB who is an accurate passer with great receivers is manna from heaven for an untested OL. Purdue will have a new 4 star RB and more experience for other backs. Very difficult to double team Moore, cover Bell, stop the run and deal with a QB with wheels who can throw on the run.

The RPO offense is built around the theory of beating too many defenders in the box. Example, Power O play is called and backside LB comes over the top too quick. The QB pulls the ball and throws to the slot on a short crossing route where the LB just vacated. That my friend is the RPO in a nutshell.

The evidence is rather overwhelming that the QB run is considered and integral part of the RPO offense. One need only recall how Trevor Lawrence changed the momentum of the Ohio State game with two long runs.

That may be true but your compulsion to insert backhanded snark into threads offering positive takes on IU football teams or players, and your inability to ignore any criticism of Purdue doesn't go unnoticed. Your spin on how Purdue's offense was so prolific in this years Bucket Game earlier in this thread is particularly pathetic given that you still got beat and ended the season with a losing record and no bowl. That's indicative of the thin-skinned nature of so many Purdue fans and the reason so many are insufferable.

I don't get why fans of other teams get so offended when they see criticism of their team on a rival's fan board that they feel compelled to jump in and defend their team's honor. It should be expected and if it bothers you that much, maybe you shouldn't spend your time there.

So while it may be your opinion that some IU fans want both teams to be relevant and therefore are interested in your hyper-optimistic take on Purdue's gridiron glory, it's my opinion that most here aren't interested in your fandom. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor - especially when it comes to taking a dump in your neighbor's front yard. If you start rambling on about how your kids are so much smarter and better looking than your friends kids, while sitting in your friend's living room, you shouldn't be surprised when he punches you in the nose and tells you to get the hell out of his house.

There are a ton of clowns from GBI that I would be setting straight if they were here chirping. Des isn't one of them. If you don't want to read his views of his team just move on but what he says is usually accurate and he does not trash IU.

In fact he has more knowledge about IU FB's history than most on this forum.

There are a ton of clowns from GBI that I would be setting straight if they were here chirping. Des isn't one of them. If you don't want to read his views of his team just move on but what he says is usually accurate and he does not trash IU.

Oh he trashes IU alright but he likes to do it with "a thousand little cuts", his words.

The clown has been over here with his passive/ aggressive & baffle them with BS shitchk for decades.

If you like him, fine..., just don't expect anyone else to buy in or try to tell any of the rest of us how to deal with his nonsense...

Last edited:
That's called the read option buddy, not RPO
The evidence is rather overwhelming that the QB run is considered and integral part of the RPO offense. One need only recall how Trevor Lawrence changed the momentum of the Ohio State game with two long runs.

That's called the read option buddy, not RPO

I would suggest you contact the publishers of the cited sources and set them straight. If the public record is in conflict with what you know to be true that is where you should start.

The clown has been over here with his passive/ aggressive & baffle them with BS shitchk for decades.

If you like him, fine..., just don't expect anyone else to buy in or try to tell any of the rest of us how to deal with his nonsense...

There is much worse around. Speaking of worse is Ordy still trolling the MBB sewer these days? If so, what is the current username?

Good grief do you watch football and if so do you grasp what you are seeing?
I would suggest you contact the publishers of the cited sources and set them straight. If the public record is in conflict with what you know to be true that is where you should start.

Reactions: Grateful Redbeard
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT