ADVERTISEMENT

Blueprint for beating Purdon't

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
DEFENSE

Strength: Defensive Line
Weakness: Secondary

Hagen has that DL doing wonders with the talent they have so our OL will need their continued improvement and more creative blocking schemes to get Dex and Shivers in the open. Once Dex and the RBs have gashed them, PU will begin loading the box and Spy on Dex. At that point, Dex should have WR targets running wild and free down field and its a easy pitch and catch for big gainers behind their terrible DBs.

Offense:

Strength; QB
Weakness: QB/OL

The key is confusing their QB and making him make bad decisions. He is just a journeyman QB with an egotistical and stubborn HC/OC make things tough and they'll just throw throw throw, especially when they're behind and pressing. QB will make 2 or 3 bonehead plays and we need to capitalize.

The basic blueprint is there. Can CTA exploit those weaknesses and get to a win?

Last edited:
Weather looks mild... cloudy, low 50s, wind 12-16 mph. Might be able to throw the ball better, but the emphasis needs to be running the football with Dex, Lucas, and Henderson. Get creative and open some seams! Utilize Barner on blitzing downs over the middle. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think the key is going to be passing the ball. And by that I mean PU is going to run blitz like crazy unless & until we force them to play back some. Play Action to Barner down the seams or in the flats, or WRs on the post. Rollouts & rolling pockets. That kind of thing.

If we're really only running slot motion, read option without mixing in passes, I don't expect much. I'm hopeful that last week's play calling was more about the weather & trying to limit what Dexter has to do, read wise.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think the key is going to be passing the ball. And by that I mean PU is going to run blitz like crazy unless & until we force them to play back some. Play Action to Barner down the seams or in the flats, or WRs on the post. Rollouts & rolling pockets. That kind of thing.

If we're really only running slot motion, read option without mixing in passes, I don't expect much. I'm hopeful that last week's play calling was more about the weather & trying to limit what Dexter has to do, read wise.
I want to see more rollouts and play actions for Dexter with Barner running in the seams or Lucas in the seam. See more exploding runs and give PU defense fits.

DEFENSE

Strength: Defensive Line
Weakness: Secondary

Hagen has that DL doing wonders with the talent they have so our OL will need their continued improvement and more creative blocking schemes to get Dex and Shivers in the open. Once Dex and the RBs have gashed them, PU will begin loading the box and Spy on Dex. At that point, Dex should have WR targets running wild and free down field and its a easy pitch and catch for big gainers behind their terrible DBs.

Offense:

Strength; QB
Weakness: QB/OL

The key is confusing their QB and making him make bad decisions. He is just a journeyman QB with an egotistical and stubborn HC/OC make things tough and they'll just throw throw throw, especially when they're behind and pressing. QB will make 2 or 3 bonehead plays and we need to capitalize.

The basic blueprint is there. Can CTA exploit those weaknesses and get to a win?
All year long, IU has absolutely not given up on a game.

No matter how much you thought you were in love with the chubby blonde freshman at McCutcheon Hall whom you thought might have winked at you on your h.s. senior visit with your parents, remember this: Purdue will 100% have to play the whole game to beat us... at home.

This isn't laser surgery -- it's football, and nothing like the official AMA protocols for treating a disease exist. All is on the table. We will grind it out.

POTFB.

Play action only works if you can run the ball. I think Purdue will work to get pressure with four on most downs, and they’ll spy DW. If we can’t run it effectively, we’ll be in trouble.

Last edited:
The frustrating part with the secondary this year is the complete lack of awareness of where the ball is. In 2020 the defense attacked and had eyes on the QB and the ball…this year it looks like strategy is chase your man and do some face guarding in hopes he won’t catch the ball. Not sure if it’s a scheme thing or players putting themselves out of position, but they are rarely even in a position to make a play on the ball.

At this point in the season we have a pleasant problem, rather than last year I knew we were toast for the bucket. We don't know who is gonna show up. If its the second half team against msu we torch purdue. If its the first half team put a fork in us. Hopefully the momentum from the second half of last week continues all 4 quarters.

At this point in the season we have a pleasant problem, rather than last year I knew we were toast for the bucket. We don't know who is gonna show up. If its the second half team against msu we torch purdue. If its the first half team put a fork in us. Hopefully the momentum from the second half of last week continues all 4 quarters.
IU does need to play a whole game like they did in the 2nd half of MSU game. IU hasn't played an entire game this year and this game would be the perfect game to do that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT