ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Staff Thoughts

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
Per coaching staff and lack of changes there besides the excellent hire of Bostad, I imagine there are two schools of thought: 1) You want to maintain stability and not be a revolving door staff & 2)After 2 poor seasons, maybe more than 1 replacement is needed on the staff.

I can tell you, my Hiller 2.0 is Coach T. Special Teams coordinator & Bull - outside of the natural gifts of J. Lucas last season - the special teams has been a C- grade at best, with 2 years of many costly mistakes along the way by this group. Why he is STC AND coaches the Bull is beyond to me. Let either LB or S coach coach the bull and let him be 100% STC and be judged on results of that area as a "coordinator."

The DL was pretty underwhelming last season and could question if that coach has a great handle on the fundamentals and getting the best out of those players. That would be a question for me and BTW, Wilt was DL coach at Minnesota. What about have him be DC & DL coach, and hire a new LB coach who would handle the Bull too?

The DB's this season sure appeared to regress. Are the CB and S coaches doing okay? And why couldn't we pay a big time DB coach the combined salaries of those two and have one DB coach?

The RB coach - for 2 seasons in a row - granted BOTH with Hiller for 1.75 of those two years - had some odd playing rotations. Last season, pretty much everyone saw that Henderson needed more playing time but they kept riding Shivers (often up the middle) leaving everyone shaking their heads. And the two FR RB's have seemingly not developed or really even seen the field much. Lucas finally got utilized but it took a good 7 games for them to realize what they had there. Not sure about the retired NFL coach, but that was an area of question for me.

WR coach also has NFL pedigree - though he ended with Cowboys in odd fashion. I understand he had some deaths in the family, so give him full benefit of the doubt there. But the parting was mutual and I just don't know how engaged he's been at IU. I did not think the WR's had a great year this year. I've heard the coach found the lack of speed shocking, which may not be on him either but the number of drops this season was somewhat shocking too. As well as difficulty getting open.

TE - I think this coach has done a good job in terms of them playing well, catching the ball, blocking and keeping recruiting pipeline going. My #1 critique here would probably be on Bell for not utilizing Barner and the other TE's very well this season.

Leaves LB - by Coach Wilt, who I think is in an odd position. Most people think his "apprenticeship" should be over now and let him either be the DC or not, not this half-baked version. He does seem like an up and coming coach, but he was another hire who had never done the DC job before, which as good of a guy as he is and seemingly was a solid DL coach at Minny, theoretically he should have had DC experience somewhere else first. But if last year was his "Womack internship year" then let him take over the reigns and be judged on what he does, culture he creates for the Defense, etc.

Coach Allen - without the buyout, he very well could have been gone after this season. He so hurt his credibility or what it said about his judgement in my eyes, with the Hiller debacle, that cost us 2 seasons and had a demoralizing effect on the program. I give him credit for finally making a credible OL hire, but it's definitely 2-3 seasons later than it should have been. His hiring of first time coordinators unfortunately could point out a lack of confidence of having "best and brightest" around him, and a desire to be the most senior person (though he was a first time HC hire) and it's bitten him now a few times. DeBoer was a great hire that he gets credit for and Womack has become a good coach (but he too had a one-year LB only role as an Allen apprentice.) For Allen to say "We need a running QB" at end of season was shocking, as if he just figured that out in year six. Bottom line: he should probably talk less and show more this spring/summer and into next season.

I will give him credit, he seems to do well out recruiting and doesn't sit around moping. I could see him having a lot of reflection this off season, hopefully seeing where he needs to improve, be better and hold himself and coaches (& players) accountable more quickly, be open to making player changes earlier if needed, and perhaps dial down his maniacal sideline/pregame schtick and act like he's been there before a little more. Set a more professional, less all rah rah/intensity tone for the staff and players.

The program is like a gas tank just under a quarter tank. If we can get some good portal guys in and the ones who are remaining at IU can pull together, and specifically our OL shows great improvement over the past 2-3 year debacle, then maybe it would be the equivalent of finding a $25 bucks in the glove compartment and being able to get the gas tank closer to 3/4 full, which could give everyone a better sense of not about to run out of gas but rather "maybe we can make it there to the game!"

IU is sitting here with two QBs as of today and only one mentioned in the portal. That QB visited LAST WEEK with no decision. I guess I need to research today and see what QBs are listed in the portal, throw out the pro drop back QBs and see what is left. Sure, add all the walk on QBs you want to fill "the room" but they need someone on the field with experience. Is Allen going to be stuck starting a QB with 3 completions experience and a Freshman QB as backup. I know, just wait until January 18, still I see QBs going to new schools every day on the "NCAA Transfer Portal" Twitter account.

This looks like a pretty legit list of QBs and is update with the Evers to Wisconsin.

QBs in the portal

Last edited:
Reactions: mk30
Per coaching staff and lack of changes there besides the excellent hire of Bostad, I imagine there are two schools of thought: 1) You want to maintain stability and not be a revolving door staff & 2)After 2 poor seasons, maybe more than 1 replacement is needed on the staff.

I can tell you, my Hiller 2.0 is Coach T. Special Teams coordinator & Bull - outside of the natural gifts of J. Lucas last season - the special teams has been a C- grade at best, with 2 years of many costly mistakes along the way by this group. Why he is STC AND coaches the Bull is beyond to me. Let either LB or S coach coach the bull and let him be 100% STC and be judged on results of that area as a "coordinator."

The DL was pretty underwhelming last season and could question if that coach has a great handle on the fundamentals and getting the best out of those players. That would be a question for me and BTW, Wilt was DL coach at Minnesota. What about have him be DC & DL coach, and hire a new LB coach who would handle the Bull too?

The DB's this season sure appeared to regress. Are the CB and S coaches doing okay? And why couldn't we pay a big time DB coach the combined salaries of those two and have one DB coach?

The RB coach - for 2 seasons in a row - granted BOTH with Hiller for 1.75 of those two years - had some odd playing rotations. Last season, pretty much everyone saw that Henderson needed more playing time but they kept riding Shivers (often up the middle) leaving everyone shaking their heads. And the two FR RB's have seemingly not developed or really even seen the field much. Lucas finally got utilized but it took a good 7 games for them to realize what they had there. Not sure about the retired NFL coach, but that was an area of question for me.

WR coach also has NFL pedigree - though he ended with Cowboys in odd fashion. I understand he had some deaths in the family, so give him full benefit of the doubt there. But the parting was mutual and I just don't know how engaged he's been at IU. I did not think the WR's had a great year this year. I've heard the coach found the lack of speed shocking, which may not be on him either but the number of drops this season was somewhat shocking too. As well as difficulty getting open.

TE - I think this coach has done a good job in terms of them playing well, catching the ball, blocking and keeping recruiting pipeline going. My #1 critique here would probably be on Bell for not utilizing Barner and the other TE's very well this season.

Leaves LB - by Coach Wilt, who I think is in an odd position. Most people think his "apprenticeship" should be over now and let him either be the DC or not, not this half-baked version. He does seem like an up and coming coach, but he was another hire who had never done the DC job before, which as good of a guy as he is and seemingly was a solid DL coach at Minny, theoretically he should have had DC experience somewhere else first. But if last year was his "Womack internship year" then let him take over the reigns and be judged on what he does, culture he creates for the Defense, etc.

Coach Allen - without the buyout, he very well could have been gone after this season. He so hurt his credibility or what it said about his judgement in my eyes, with the Hiller debacle, that cost us 2 seasons and had a demoralizing effect on the program. I give him credit for finally making a credible OL hire, but it's definitely 2-3 seasons later than it should have been. His hiring of first time coordinators unfortunately could point out a lack of confidence of having "best and brightest" around him, and a desire to be the most senior person (though he was a first time HC hire) and it's bitten him now a few times. DeBoer was a great hire that he gets credit for and Womack has become a good coach (but he too had a one-year LB only role as an Allen apprentice.) For Allen to say "We need a running QB" at end of season was shocking, as if he just figured that out in year six. Bottom line: he should probably talk less and show more this spring/summer and into next season.

I will give him credit, he seems to do well out recruiting and doesn't sit around moping. I could see him having a lot of reflection this off season, hopefully seeing where he needs to improve, be better and hold himself and coaches (& players) accountable more quickly, be open to making player changes earlier if needed, and perhaps dial down his maniacal sideline/pregame schtick and act like he's been there before a little more. Set a more professional, less all rah rah/intensity tone for the staff and players.

The program is like a gas tank just under a quarter tank. If we can get some good portal guys in and the ones who are remaining at IU can pull together, and specifically our OL shows great improvement over the past 2-3 year debacle, then maybe it would be the equivalent of finding a $25 bucks in the glove compartment and being able to get the gas tank closer to 3/4 full, which could give everyone a better sense of not about to run out of gas but rather "maybe we can make it there to the game!"
Coach Allen has said for a number of years he wants a QB that can run not just this past year. After seeing this season maybe he sees a running QB helps the OL. Yes, the Hiller situation was puzzling and demoralizing but he seems to have gotten it right this time. As far as the coordinators go, I think he was looking for one that would improve the running game and he was limited by the ones willing come after the 2-11 season. Wiltz seems to be more a case of wanting another Wommack following the same path he did. Putting Wiltz as LB coach instead of DL is puzzling as he could have hired an LB coach.

One thing about college coaches is they are hired as much for their recruiting chops as they are for their coaching ability. We will have to see how the team is in 2023 to see how it all comes together.

Coach Allen needs to show he has the program moving in the right direction this season.

Last edited:
I think and hope our OL in 2023 will surprise a lot of people and help IU's offense a lot. I hope our DL coach can bring in talented DL players to boost the DL. I know a couple of younger DL players are more athletic.

I hope coach can bring in talented players to boost the team but only use the portal for players that are major upgrades of the players already on the team.

Reactions: midwolfe and 76-1
I think and hope our OL in 2023 will surprise a lot of people and help IU's offense a lot. I hope our DL coach can bring in talented DL players to boost the DL. I know a couple of younger DL players are more athletic.

I hope coach can bring in talented players to boost the team but only use the portal for players that are major upgrades of the players already on the team.
Agreed, we must get WAY better along the line of scrimmage (both sides) if we ever are going to want to compete consistently. As good as recruiting has been over the past 6 years or so, we have fallen way short on the most important aspect of a championship caliber football team...... the lines of scrimmage. Some of that has been coaching but most of that has been recruiting (which you could also blame coaching for).

IU is sitting here with two QBs as of today and only one mentioned in the portal. That QB visited LAST WEEK with no decision. I guess I need to research today and see what QBs are listed in the portal, throw out the pro drop back QBs and see what is left. Sure, add all the walk on QBs you want to fill "the room" but they need someone on the field with experience. Is Allen going to be stuck starting a QB with 3 completions experience and a Freshman QB as backup. I know, just wait until January 18, still I see QBs going to new schools every day on the "NCAA Transfer Portal" Twitter account.

This looks like a pretty legit list of QBs and is update with the Evers to Wisconsin.

QBs in the portal
Hornsby from Arkansas would be #1 QB Portal fast doesn’t begin to describe him .Throw as much NIL as you have to IMO

Coach Randolph coaches the defensive line.

Coach T literally coaches that one outside backer position, the Bull.

You have a rather strange take on our secondary coaches. We are allowed 10 coaches, so you combine those two, where are you putting that last Coach? Teams generally have a cornerbacks coach and a safeties coach, Bama does, Ohio State does, Notre Dame does... just about everyone separates them. Why would we short ourselves a coach? That's one less coach out recruiting as well as one less set of eyes on a position group.

Coach Randolph coaches the defensive line.

Coach T literally coaches that one outside backer position, the Bull.

You have a rather strange take on our secondary coaches. We are allowed 10 coaches, so you combine those two, where are you putting that last Coach? Teams generally have a cornerbacks coach and a safeties coach, Bama does, Ohio State does, Notre Dame does... just about everyone separates them. Why would we short ourselves a coach? That's one less coach out recruiting as well as one less set of eyes on a position group.
I know Randolph does DL. My question was has he done a great job? Per Wilt, Instead of DC/LB, could he be DC/DL.

Per Coach T, he coaches Bull and is also STC. I think he’s been weak in that role. I’d say he should ONLY be STC, let safety or LB coach coach the bull too.

Per DB idea, I don’t say have to split them, but when I think of schools who send DBs to NFL, OSU or LSU. That Coach probably recruits damn well too. Maybe you have him coach DBs and have an assistant DB coach too via grad asst.

I never ever suggested IU go one coach less in total, asking if other ways to set up a staff.

OC/QB, RB, TE, OL, WR
DC/LB, DL, DBs, STC, HC

That’s 10 right?

The original post is dead-on, especially in regards to the ST situation....and IMHO there is more to that coach than people realize

His lack of success at his positions has had me wondering for a while now...if you look at his history of coaching positions he has held do your own analysis....not the greatest success

So many posters said this would be a tough year for the team with new coaches are now calling for coach Allen to be fired despite saying before this would be a tough year. Bazelak's issues cost IU games and now he is gone since coach Allen said he wanted dual QBs.

Next season we will have very talented roster that is young with a tough schedule and I hope the posters see this and hold their powder on coach Allen and his staff.

So many posters said this would be a tough year for the team with new coaches are now calling for coach Allen to be fired despite saying before this would be a tough year. Bazelak's issues cost IU games and now he is gone since coach Allen said he wanted dual QBs.

Next season we will have very talented roster that is young with a tough schedule and I hope the posters see this and hold their powder on coach Allen and his staff.
That is a good thought from a guy knows and understands football. However V as you know that is not most of the posters on this board . There are many on here that think they know but really have no idea.

That is a good thought from a guy knows and understands football. However V as you know that is not most of the posters on this board . There are many on here that think they know but really have no idea.
Yes, I do know and thanks for the support many don't give around here. I read your post because you know football and add a lot to this site.

Yes, I do know and thanks for the support many don't give around here. I read your post because you know football and add a lot to this site.
Thank you it means a lot coming from you. You know I respect your knowledge and also admire your support. You understand the ins and outs of the game. There are guys on here that do know a lot about the game but do not understand the process behind.

Think we need an IP check. v and palm may be same person with 2 different handles :)
Just mutual respect for a fellow coach. Got to respect a guy who has won a state championship. Been to 2 final 4s and 3 final 8’ s never a champion in 38 years and now we have to beat St Thomas Aquinas of Ft. Lauderdale so probably not gonna happen.

The roster is not yet complete but I think it is a bit of a stretch to call next season's roster "very talented." Talented maybe for the MAC but not the Big 10 where it will be lucky to be average. We have very tough competition. Plus our coaching staff, top to bottom, is probably not average for the Big 10 and we have made just one change so far, I think a good one, for next season.

I don't like to be negative but I am disappointed and discouraged about Indiana football.

I know Randolph does DL. My question was has he done a great job? Per Wilt, Instead of DC/LB, could he be DC/DL.

Per Coach T, he coaches Bull and is also STC. I think he’s been weak in that role. I’d say he should ONLY be STC, let safety or LB coach coach the bull too.

Per DB idea, I don’t say have to split them, but when I think of schools who send DBs to NFL, OSU or LSU. That Coach probably recruits damn well too. Maybe you have him coach DBs and have an assistant DB coach too via grad asst.

I never ever suggested IU go one coach less in total, asking if other ways to set up a staff.

OC/QB, RB, TE, OL, WR
DC/LB, DL, DBs, STC, HC

That’s 10 right?
You didn't include the players and blame the coaches so one year here the players didn't listen very well to coaches. Wait until after this year to see how the positions play.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
We are already seeing the advantage of our coaches in the recruiting of portal players as we have seen an upgrade this recruiting round. I am excited to see how IU plays this coming season with the type of players coming in. Will the highly rated players that didn't live up to their ratings at their old schools live up to them at IU. Will the players from smaller schools still perform as well as they did last season. If IU pulls in the right QB this could be a better year than we think is possible. There is more talent on this team and if they live up to it and coaches get them to listen to them; who knows how good this team could be.

Last edited:
We are already seeing the advantage of our coaches in the recruiting of portal players as we have seen an upgrade this recruiting round. I am excited to see how IU plays this coming season with the type of players coming in. Will the highly rated players that didn't live up to their ratings at their old schools live up to them at IU. Will the players from smaller schools still perform as well as they did last season. If IU pulls in the right QB this could be a better year than we think is possible. Their is more talent on this team and if they live up to it and coaches get them to listen to them; who knows how good this team could be.
v, do also believe Coach Allen and staff will look to make subtle and obvious changes in coaching and administration everywhere they believe improvement can happen from the past 2 seasons. Still would like to see Teegardin hired away and replacement hired. Frank Beamer put VT on the FB map by coaching up and getting a big lift from St's.

v, do also believe Coach Allen and staff will look to make subtle and obvious changes in coaching and administration everywhere they believe improvement can happen from the past 2 seasons. Still would like to see Teegardin hired away and replacement hired. Frank Beamer put VT on the FB map by coaching up and getting a big lift from St's.
I agree about the STs and get Teegarden only as a ST coach or find another ST coach to do a better job.

Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT