ADVERTISEMENT

Psu fan here thoughts on the game

Well did Coleman ever lead his team to a Big 10 title and play in the rose bowl? Most scouts agree that you play to win the game, Coleman had more rushing yards although through 4 games this season, Barkley is only 30 yards from having more receiving yards this year than Coleman had his ENTIRE CAREER. If you genuinely believe that Coleman was a better college RB than Barkley, I assure you you will find less than 10 people on the planet that will agree with you

Now he only needs nine...

The only reason Coleman dropped to the third was because he has sickle cell.

Coleman is faster and catches the ball better than Barkley... and Barkley has a much better surrounding cast then Coleman ever had.

And... none of that will matter on Saturday. Barkley is a great college back and more than likely given our key injuries on Defense will probably have a better day on Saturday then he did last year (58 yards rushing).

Reactions: wakeman3453
Now he only needs nine...

The only reason Coleman dropped to the third was because he has sickle cell.

Coleman is faster and catches the ball better than Barkley... and Barkley has a much better surrounding cast then Coleman ever had.

And... none of that will matter on Saturday. Barkley is a great college back and more than likely given our key injuries on Defense will probably have a better day on Saturday then he did last year (58 yards rushing).

We're simply going to have to agree to disagree.

I do not believe coleman would have been drafted higher regardless of his condition. Thus exactly why in his third season as a pro he just last week eclipsed 1000 yds rushing for his career. 1st round backs (who aren't busts) aren't drafted to run for 400-500 yds a season the way Coleman has along with not even winning the starting job on his own team.

Your comment about him being a better receiver is just silly, again through 4 games this year Barkley has as many receiving yards as Coleman had in 3 years at IU. He just had 12 catches against Iowa (0 drops) to follow up a game where he had just shy of 150 receiving yards... Coleman never had that many yards receiving in a whole season and Barkley just did that in one game... How in the world can you possibly say Coleman is a better receiver with numbers like that? That's just nonsense!

Also FYI, Coleman ran a 4.39 40 which I agree is extremely fast... Barkley ran a 4.33 and has 25 lb more muscle. We're talking about a generational talent here. We as PSU fans know full well what we have in Barkley and that he is not the norm. Our backup RB, Miles Sanders was the #1 HS RB prospect in the country in 2015 and it's obvious the difference when he is in the game

I think you're going to be in for a rude awakening this Saturday, I'll be interested to see if you still feel this way if Barkley has the kind of afternoon I expect him to (200 yds of offense, 2 td's is my prediction)

Last edited:
Coleman never had the supporting cast that Barkley enjoys.

Barkley ran for 200 yds as a freshman against Ohio St with an O line that both starting guards were converted DT's bc we still had the scholarship restrictions. It was the worst O line in the history of Penn State football playing against a defense on the road that featured Joey Bosa, Darren Lee, Eli Apple and about 5 other first round picks. I agree, now PSU has talent everywhere and that helps Barkley, but the dude has shown the ability to run the ball successfully against premier teams with a horrible supporting cast

Well did Coleman ever lead his team to a Big 10 title and play in the rose bowl? Most scouts agree that you play to win the game, Coleman had more rushing yards although through 4 games this season, Barkley is only 30 yards from having more receiving yards this year than Coleman had his ENTIRE CAREER. If you genuinely believe that Coleman was a better college RB than Barkley, I assure you you will find less than 10 people on the planet that will agree with you

This thread has derailed, but if Barkley was on a 4-8 IU team he wouldn't be in the Heisman conversation anymore than Tevin Coleman was. And if PSU had Zander Diamont at QB they would not be in the Rose Bowl. Once again not a knock on Barkley, just reality.

I do not believe coleman would have been drafted higher regardless of his condition. Thus exactly why in his third season as a pro he just last week eclipsed 1000 yds rushing for his career. 1st round backs (who aren't busts) aren't drafted to run for 400-500 yds a season the way Coleman has along with not even winning the starting job on his own team.

Your comment about him being a better receiver is just silly, again through 4 games this year Barkley has as many receiving yards as Coleman had in 3 years at IU. He just had 12 catches against Iowa (0 drops) to follow up a game where he had just shy of 150 receiving yards... Coleman never had that many yards receiving in a whole season and Barkley just did that in one game... How in the world can you possibly say Coleman is a better receiver with numbers like that? That's just nonsense!

I think you're going to be in for a rude awakening this Saturday, I'll be interested to see if you still feel this way if Barkley has the kind of afternoon I expect him to (200 yds of offense, 2 td's is my prediction)

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if he had better rushing numbers (58yds) then he did last year at our place.

It also wouldn't surprise me if you won. With our injuries on Defense you ought to be 27 point favorites at your place..., which makes me wonder what the bookies know that we don't...

This thread has derailed, but if Barkley was on a 4-8 IU team he wouldn't be in the Heisman conversation anymore than Tevin Coleman was. And if PSU had Zander Diamont at QB they would not be in the Rose Bowl. Once again not a knock on Barkley, just reality.
And if Coleman was on the current PSU team, he wouldn’t be in the Housman discussion, either. Very good player, but he’s not close to Barkley.

Jimmy, no one here disputes Barkley is a good RB. Of course, since you don't even realize IU is in the B1G East, I try to give you the benefit of the doubt.

What you need to know about Coleman's junior year is this: IU had to play 8 1/2 games with a fifth string, true frosh QB who was not at all ready to play college football; not only was there no passing game, IU had no threat of a passing game; Coleman played over half the season with a broken big toe; he scored 15 TD's that season with an average length of 42 yards....all this despite the other team knowing every week the only thing they had to prepare for on IU's offense was Tevin Coleman.

Tevin Coleman had a season for the ages and is a very talented RB. Saquon Barkley is a very talented RB and no one disputes it. However, since Coleman wore an IU uniform, we will support him.

And if Coleman was on the current PSU team, he wouldn’t be in the Housman discussion, either. Very good player, but he’s not close to Barkley.

He had 691 rushing yards through the first 4 games of the season, against Barkley's 518. If he did that for the #4 team in the country and B1G favorites, he would be the frontrunner for Heisman, just like Barkley is.

Your credibility erodes by the post.

I'm a Hoosier alum like many here. I'd love to boast about IU football but we don't have much to talk about. Hard to talk shit with PSU in football but here goes:
  • You're ranked 4th (and I think it's deserved)
  • You're at home
  • You're supposed to kick out A$$ on both sides of the ball
  • We've got nothing to lose
  • I'd love to light you guys up and hope we do
  • If you lose to us you're screwed
  • If we lose well maybe we'll catch you blanks at home next year
  • Good Luck
Go Hoosiers!

He had 691 rushing yards through the first 4 games of the season, against Barkley's 518. If he did that for the #4 team in the country and B1G favorites, he would be the frontrunner for Heisman, just like Barkley is.

Your credibility erodes by the post.
Ask any scout and they’d preference Barkley by a wide margin. Your credibility is through your heart and not your head. Understandable, especially if you’re an iu football fan. But Coleman still isn’t close to Barkley.

Ask any scout and they’d preference Barkley by a wide margin. Your credibility is through your heart and not your head. Understandable, especially if you’re an iu football fan. But Coleman still isn’t close to Barkley.

Once again irrelevant to college achievement. Scouts preferred Ashley Lelie to ARE as an NFL WR, I guess that makes Ashley Lelie the best dual-threat QB in college football in 2001? lol.

Back on topic, because as Jim pointed out, Coleman isn't suiting up Saturday.

Best-case scenario:
OSU is the best team in the B1G by a decent margin
UVa is a solid ACC team (looking more likely after their Boise win but still TBD)
IU has all defensive players healthy this week
Brandon Knight and Nworah are a major improvement from Stepeniak and Baker on the right side
PSU has played only one team so far that will finish >.500 and it took them a miracle to win.. slightly better than Iowa State
Lagow is the Lagow we saw in the 1st half against OSU, not the Lagow who got benched against UVa
PSU is emotionally gassed and letting their #4 ranking go to their head

outcome- toss-up game that comes down to one or two possessions in the 4th quarter.

Worst-case scenario:
OSU is the 4th best team in the B1G, PSU is better than them by a decent margin
UVa had one fluke win agaisnt Boise but is mostly still the same team that won 2 games last year
IU is missing Ball, Hoff, and a few back ups this week
Knight and Nworah are no better than Stepeniak and Baker
PSU TCOB in all their games and won ugly at night in Kinnick against a very strong Iowa team
Lagow is UVa Lagow
PSU knows IU has some talent and is hungry for another win

outcome- IU barely covers the spread and the game is never really in doubt, PSU by multiple TDs

Reactions: 76-1
Never forget. Joe knew. Remove Penn St. from the Big Ten.

10545292-large.jpg

Once again irrelevant to college achievement. Scouts preferred Ashley Lelie to ARE as an NFL WR, I guess that makes Ashley Lelie the best dual-threat QB in college football in 2001? lol.
Based on college achievement, Barkley will be a top 5 pick, while Coleman went in round 3. Coleman is a very good back who had a very good career at IU, but he’s not in Barkley’s class as a player. All one needs to do is watch both play and it’s easily seen. The Lelie comments have no relevance and only underscore that you have no argument.

Last year Indiana keyed in on Barkley. I remember the game well, Barkley couldn't get going but had 7-8 guys going after him the whole game and still had 2 td's.

The thing that killed you last year and exactly why I highlighted the players I did on psu is bc Mcsorely was able to put up 331 yds on only 16 completions so basically 20+ yards per completion. If Indiana focuses on Barkley again the way they did last year I expect similar results as psu has basically the whole offense back minus Godwin and Johnson is a very capable replacement.

Psu's average height for their receivers is 6'3, Indiana doesn't have the athletes in the secondary to match up with them 1 on 1 imo. This is why I suggest focusing more on simply containing Barkley and not just shutting him down bc when you do that psu is just going to be targeting their big WR's and TE the whole game.

Make no mistake, psu is very good this year, maybe even great. You also are traveling to Beaver Stadium which is amoung the most difficult places to win on the road in the country.

I don't think Indiana has much of a chance in the game and I say that completely respectfully, although if they are going to pull off the stunner, they can't allow all the big passing plays like they did last year.

The other thing is as impossible as I thought it would be from last year Barkley has actually gotten even better... no matter what happens Saturday I encourage Indiana fans to just sit back and watch the greatness and joy that Saquon Barkley is... we're talking about a guy who by the time it's all said and done may be the first FBS RB ever to have 1000 yd rushing and 1000 yd receiving in the same year. This boy is special, Ricky Williams, Marcus Dupree, Eric Dickerson special
ricky williams was great but never quite the same without megan

Coleman broke the NCAA single-season rushing record without a quarterback, was a unanimous All-American, etc... He averaged 7.1 YPC for his CAREER. Barkley has a ton of promise, no doubt, and could accomplish any/all of those things but he hasn't yet.

Barkley is a nice back for you guys. He isn't Coleman.
Every team knew we were running. Our 3rd string QB didn't know the playbook. All that said, he still had a big year.

In comparison, we shut Barkley down last year and you guys ate us up throwing. My point is, we keyed on him. Coleman faced that every game.... it really is something that you don't know much about because following IU is not anyone's choice unless you are a fan..... but if you are interested you should look it up. He was unbelievable.

Barkley has lateral movement that Coleman didn't..... but you are being a bit condescending...

Reactions: td75 and 76-1
What's pretty funny is this looks early similar to some of the things Iowa fans were saying last week leading up to the game... That Barkley is all hype, plenty of RB's better, etc. Well 358 yds later amazingly none of those people are anywhere to be found this week!
4 seconds and the stats wouldn't have meant squat.... I'll give him 600 yes on Saturday if it means we win by 2

Barkely is good. Would love him at IU. But I've seen many RBs in college as good as him. And at least 2 at IU alone.

Fine,

Barkley is currently on pace to become the first fbs rb EVER to have 1000 yds rushing AND 1000 yds receiving in a single year. If he pulls off that feet will you still be going on about how Coleman is better? Barkley is the clear front runner for the Heisman trophy right now according to every news organization that covers college football. look at any and every nfl draft list and saquon barkley is listed as #1 or #2 overall on every single list. But yet your former RB who left 3 years ago who was taken in the 3rd round of the draft and isn't evfen the starter on his team is somehow more talented? Eh is what it is, I admire your pride in your program! I had a ton of fun with your fans about 6-7 years ago when we played you in DC. I was sitting right on the 45 next to the Indiana section, had a great time with your fans, some of the best in the Big 10!

Dude.... is this what we have to look forward to from PSU fans? What is it about you guys needing to go create fake aliases to talk on other teams boards? Does it come natural to you guys to slither around incognito ? Somewhere there's a Boy Scout Troop missing a volunteer.

Look Barkley is a great back. I would prefer him over Coleman because of his lateral ability. You came here asking opinions then don't want to hear them when you get them.... no, we aren't crowning you anything in the B10 you gotta win it. I'm sorry, but most people thought it was a fluke last year and Ohio St was the best Big 10 team. Sorry. They usually are.

It was a fluke. 60 Yard blocked field goal return right? Your QB was dismal that game.

Also FYI, Coleman ran a 4.39 40 which I agree is extremely fast... Barkley ran a 4.33 and has 25 lb more muscle. We're talking about a generational talent here. We as PSU fans know full well what we have in Barkley and that he is not the norm. Our backup RB, Miles Sanders was the #1 HS RB prospect in the country in 2015 and it's obvious the difference when he is in the game

Jordan Howard taken in the 5th doesn't fit your argument...plus Coleman had an injury one of his three seasons I believe....

This must mean IU has arrived. PSU fans coming to an Indiana Message Board for football validation. Well done Hoosiers.

Reactions: wakeman26 and td75
Based on college achievement, Barkley will be a top 5 pick, while Coleman went in round 3. Coleman is a very good back who had a very good career at IU, but he’s not in Barkley’s class as a player. All one needs to do is watch both play and it’s easily seen. The Lelie comments have no relevance and only underscore that you have no argument.

This might be the dumbest argument you have made on this board under this name. With a sample size of 1,192 dumb arguments since May, that is really saying something.

You argued for about 5 straight posts that NFL scout preference is more important to determining the quality of a college player's career than their actual statistics and achievement in college. Scout's preferred Ashley Lelie to Antwaan Randle El. By your logic, that means Lelie was a better college player. I am wholly unsurprised that you could not come up with a rebuttal.

Of course, if the roles were reversed and Coleman was a top 5 pick but Barkley had done more in college, you would be beating down the board about how NFL draft means nothing. Very typical of your participation on this board.

Jordan Howard taken in the 5th doesn't fit your argument...plus Coleman had an injury one of his three seasons I believe....

This must mean IU has arrived. PSU fans coming to an Indiana Message Board for football validation. Well done Hoosiers.

Meh, he is just here to talk about the game Hack. We love talking IU football, adding one more to the party can't hurt!

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
Barkley is scary good. But to counter some claims made in this thread...
- No RB has been taken in the NFL draft #1 since 1996 - Ki-Jana Carter.
- No RB has been taken #1 or #2 since 2006 - Reggie Bush.
- I haven't been able to find a mock NFL draft with Barkley going above #5...the NFL just doesn't draft RBs as highly as other positions.
- I also see where Barkley is a solid Heisman candidate, but not the leading one.

Now to the team. The Iowa defense is good, and I was pretty shocked at the PSU yardage especially on the ground. But...the OSU and Michigan defenses are better, so let's use those games as a better judge.
PSU is playing with confidence and the talent and execution level is ridiculous, so I would expect you guys to continue to roll this week. Hope I'm wrong.

Barkley is scary good. But to counter some claims made in this thread...
- No RB has been taken in the NFL draft #1 since 1996 - Ki-Jana Carter.
- No RB has been taken #1 or #2 since 2006 - Reggie Bush.
- I haven't been able to find a mock NFL draft with Barkley going above #5...the NFL just doesn't draft RBs as highly as other positions.
- I also see where Barkley is a solid Heisman candidate, but not the leading one.

Now to the team. The Iowa defense is good, and I was pretty shocked at the PSU yardage especially on the ground. But...the OSU and Michigan defenses are better, so let's use those games as a better judge.
PSU is playing with confidence and the talent and execution level is ridiculous, so I would expect you guys to continue to roll this week. Hope I'm wrong.

Iowa was playing rope a dope and it came within a couple of inches of working...

Might be a strategy worth pursuing... I wouldn't care if Barkley got 700 yards and they decided to present him the H immediately after the game ended as long as we came away with the Win;)

This might be the dumbest argument you have made on this board under this name. With a sample size of 1,192 dumb arguments since May, that is really saying something.

You argued for about 5 straight posts that NFL scout preference is more important to determining the quality of a college player's career than their actual statistics and achievement in college. Scout's preferred Ashley Lelie to Antwaan Randle El. By your logic, that means Lelie was a better college player. I am wholly unsurprised that you could not come up with a rebuttal.

Of course, if the roles were reversed and Coleman was a top 5 pick but Barkley had done more in college, you would be beating down the board about how NFL draft means nothing. Very typical of your participation on this board.
I argued nothing of the sort, only that pro scouts would agree with every other knowledgeable football observer in declaring Barkley the better back. It's really not a close contest. Your moronic introduction of the ARE / Lelie comparison only shows that you can't support your original argument. Stop pretending you know things you quite clearly do not. You're only fooling yourself.

I argued nothing of the sort, only that pro scouts would agree with every other knowledgeable football observer in declaring Barkley the better back. It's really not a close contest. Your moronic introduction of the ARE / Lelie comparison only shows that you can't support your original argument. Stop pretending you know things you quite clearly do not. You're only fooling yourself.

You have some pro scouts who say Barkley is the better college football player than Tevin Coleman? Care to link me? They haven't said it because they don't care.

All they care about is his potential as an NFL RB. Just like they all thought Lelie had better potential to be an NFL WR. And we all know how that turned out, not to mention it says NOTHING of their respective college careers. Thank you for playing.

Reactions: 76-1
I was just rewatching the IU-Georgia Southern game and our LB play was very, very good. Chris Covington is an athletic freak that you typically witness playing for a SEC school. Scales is just an All American, with damn good speed. Nate Hoff is probably the best interior defensive lineman IU has had in a generation.

I think we have at least a puncher's chance, maybe better against Penn state.

Reactions: ESalum86
I was just rewatching the IU-Georgia Southern game and our LB play was very, very good. Chris Covington is an athletic freak that you typically witness playing for a SEC school. Scales is just an All American, with damn good speed. Nate Hoff is probably the best interior defensive lineman IU has had in a generation.

I think we have at least a puncher's chance, maybe better against Penn state.
Wow Hoff? I'll have to look/watch for that. I agree the LB play the last game was very good.

I think he's the strongest we've had at the point of attack. He holds up against the run better than any iu interior dline player going back to the late 90s.

Of course, we certainly haven't seen too many "good" interior players on defense, right?

Per Coleman & Barkley, loved Coleman, glad he's doing well in NFL, but c'mon Barkley is clearly a top 5 pick next year and is more of a freak of nature than Coleman was. Die hard Hoosier gives Barkley the nod.

I do think PSU expended a lot last week in Iowa and has some potential for some let down, especially if IU can hang around (or get a lead) which could make them jumpy, though PSU can also finish well.

IU O-line will need to do better job, maybe best of season, to keep IU Offense going, and the more they can stay on the field, the better our very good 1st team D can hopefully contain Barkley and not give up big pass plays.

All smart money has to be on PSU, but they still have to play the game. If QB gets injured, not sure Indiana-born Tommy Stevens would come in and dominate passing as they key in on Barkley more. And IU is a unified team that could pull off an upset. 15% chance baby!

I think he's the strongest we've had at the point of attack. He holds up against the run better than any iu interior dline player going back to the late 90s.

Of course, we certainly haven't seen too many "good" interior players on defense, right?
Well maybe that is true... I was trying to come up with an interior guy to compare him to but.... congrats TD I think you may have something.

Coleman and Barkley are opposite running styles, and they shouldn't be compared. Coleman is a one move, straight line runner with elite, NFL tested speed. Barkley can create big plays in space with his ability to move laterally. He can't hit a hole like Coleman, but he has a full tool box. An NFL GM knows they can find a handful of guys like Coleman, but Barkley's skill set is rare. His draft position and paycheck will show that. Even so, I hope we shut him down again and make PSU our #breakthrough.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT