ADVERTISEMENT

Psu fan here thoughts on the game

Jimfromyork

Newcomer
Sep 9, 2017
hello all,

First of all here's to a competitive, injury free week for both of our squads.

I don't know much about indiana's team this year so I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts.

As for PSU obviously you all have heard about Barkley and the transcendent talent he is, but the two guys on penn state's offense that I believe will be key for Indiana to take away are going to be TE Mike Gesicki and WR Juwan Johnson.

Both are huge (Gesicki is 6'6 and Johnson is 6'4) physical players who catch the ball well and will be key to a nittany lions victory this week. The way I believe Indiana beats PSU is by taking away their other threats and just contain Barkley as best as you can. Make no mistake, Barkley is going to have his plays, we're talking about a guy who might be the best RB the Big 10 has seen in 20 years. He is impossible to stop entirely but what you can do (which Iowa did very well) is contain the rest of the team and force psu into long drives. Psu isn't great in the red zone so if all they have that is working is barkley, you may be able to keep the game close and then who knows what will happen.

I'd be interested to hear about your team this year, who the studs are, what players Indiana needs to step up to win etc.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: 82hoosier
hello all,

I don't know much about indiana's team this year so I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts.

As for PSU obviously you all have heard about Barkley and the transcendent talent he is, but the two guys on penn state's offense that I believe will be key for Indiana to take away are going to be TE Mike Gesicki and WR Juwan Johnson.

Both are huge (Gesicki is 6'6 and Johnson is 6'4) physical players who catch the ball well and will be key to a nittany lions victory this week. The way I believe Indiana beats PSU is by taking away their other threats and just call braiding Barkley as best as you can. Make no mistake, Barkley is going to have his plays, we're talking about a guy who might be the best RB the Big 10 has seen in 20 years. He is impossible to stop entirely but what you can do (which Iowa did very well) is contain the rest of the team and force psu into long drives. Psu isn't great in the red zone so if all they have that is working is barkley, you may be able to keep the game close and then who knows what will happen.

I'd be interested to hear about your team this year, who the studs are, what players Indiana needs to step up to win etc.

Cheers
I'm curious what you guys think about Indiana's defensive performance against your RB last year? It's a serious question... I'm not trying to be an ass. He is such a great RB but IU held him to 1.8 yards a carry last year.

Our defense is better than last year. Our weak point is along the offensive line which creates problems with our attack (particularly on the ground). It can/has made us one demensional.

I think you will find our run defense and our pass defense very strong particularly through the first three quarters. A lack of a running game hurts our defense into the 4th quarter when it isn't working (my opinion. We have some very good X and O guys that can chime in).

If our running game isn't working you guys will pull away in the 4th qtr. If our OL solidifies itself behind the return of Knight, then I think you will have another tough game on Saturday. PSU, Mich., Mich St.... 2 of ya is going down this year. I picked Mich and Mich St. but I believe we have a shot against you guys. You gotta show up.

Congrats by the way on the return of your program. The scandal aside, I've enjoyed your fan base at the stadium. Your recruiting has been amazing.

I'm curious what you guys think about Indiana's defensive performance against your RB last year? It's a serious question... I'm not trying to be an ass. He is such a great RB but IU held him to 1.8 yards a carry last year.

Our defense is better than last year. Our weak point is along the offensive line which creates problems with our attack (particularly on the ground). It can/has made us one demensional.

I think you will find our run defense and our pass defense very strong particularly through the first three quarters. A lack of a running game hurts our defense into the 4th quarter when it isn't working (my opinion. We have some very good X and O guys that can chime in).

If our running game isn't working you guys will pull away in the 4th qtr. If our OL solidifies itself behind the return of Knight, then I think you will have another tough game on Saturday. PSU, Mich., Mich St.... 2 of ya is going down this year. I picked Mich and Mich St. but I believe we have a shot against you guys. You gotta show up.

Congrats by the way on the return of your program. The scandal aside, I've enjoyed your fan base at the stadium. Your recruiting has been amazing.

Last year Indiana keyed in on Barkley. I remember the game well, Barkley couldn't get going but had 7-8 guys going after him the whole game and still had 2 td's.

The thing that killed you last year and exactly why I highlighted the players I did on psu is bc Mcsorely was able to put up 331 yds on only 16 completions so basically 20+ yards per completion. If Indiana focuses on Barkley again the way they did last year I expect similar results as psu has basically the whole offense back minus Godwin and Johnson is a very capable replacement.

Psu's average height for their receivers is 6'3, Indiana doesn't have the athletes in the secondary to match up with them 1 on 1 imo. This is why I suggest focusing more on simply containing Barkley and not just shutting him down bc when you do that psu is just going to be targeting their big WR's and TE the whole game.

Make no mistake, psu is very good this year, maybe even great. You also are traveling to Beaver Stadium which is amoung the most difficult places to win on the road in the country.

I don't think Indiana has much of a chance in the game and I say that completely respectfully, although if they are going to pull off the stunner, they can't allow all the big passing plays like they did last year.

The other thing is as impossible as I thought it would be from last year Barkley has actually gotten even better... no matter what happens Saturday I encourage Indiana fans to just sit back and watch the greatness and joy that Saquon Barkley is... we're talking about a guy who by the time it's all said and done may be the first FBS RB ever to have 1000 yd rushing and 1000 yd receiving in the same year. This boy is special, Ricky Williams, Marcus Dupree, Eric Dickerson special

Last year Indiana keyed in on Barkley. I remember the game well, Barkley couldn't get going but had 7-8 guys going after him the whole game and still had 2 td's.

The thing that killed you last year and exactly why I highlighted the players I did on psu is bc Mcsorely was able to put up 331 yds on only 16 completions so basically 20+ yards per completion. If Indiana focuses on Barkley again the way they did last year I expect similar results as psu has basically the whole offense back minus Godwin and Johnson is a very capable replacement.

Psu's average height for their receivers is 6'3, Indiana doesn't have the athletes in the secondary to match up with them 1 on 1 imo. This is why I suggest focusing more on simply containing Barkley and not just shutting him down bc when you do that psu is just going to be targeting their big WR's and TE the whole game.

Make no mistake, psu is very good this year, maybe even great. You also are traveling to Beaver Stadium which is amoung the most difficult places to win on the road in the country.

I don't think Indiana has much of a chance in the game and I say that completely respectfully, although if they are going to pull off the stunner, they can't allow all the big passing plays like they did last year.

The other thing is as impossible as I thought it would be from last year Barkley has actually gotten even better... no matter what happens Saturday I encourage Indiana fans to just sit back and watch the greatness and joy that Saquon Barkley is... we're talking about a guy who by the time it's all said and done may be the first FBS RB ever to have 1000 yd rushing and 1000 yd receiving in the same year. This boy is special, Ricky Williams, Marcus Dupree, Eric Dickerson special
I say this fully expecting Penn State to win, but Indiana actually has a really good secondary. Like, one of the best in the country. I know that goes against everything you have seen the last 20 years, but they're very good.

he ain't in that company.

he ain't in that company.
I don't know if he's in that company but he's really special. He's got that wiggle to go along with the speed, like Barry Sanders. It's so hard to get a direct shot on him and plant him on the spot. I was watching him Saturday night wondering how we were going to manage to get a square lick on this guy.

On that last drive he got a little twisted up along the sideline and I was hoping with all I had that he had rolled an ankle. I don't want to wish injury on any player, but just enough of an ankle sprain to sideline him this Saturday would have been nice. He's going to be a load to contain.

So we should be scared of your weapons?

Simmie Cobbs-6"5
Donovan Hale-6"4
Ian Thomas-6"5

Yeah, our best recieving weapons are tall too. And better.

Reactions: HOOS13R and 76-1
IU in a tough slot.. would much rather play PSU at noon, PSU fans will be lubricated and ready, and team really thrives in 330 slot. Late afternoon makes PSU an even tougher out.

I say this fully expecting Penn State to win, but Indiana actually has a really good secondary. Like, one of the best in the country. I know that goes against everything you have seen the last 20 years, but they're very good.
Lol

As a PSU fan, I believe that Indiana has a much stronger shot in this game than many pundits think. Barkley was showcased last Saturday on national TV and he likely won't be as big of a factor in this game. He looked tired and a little gimpy by games end. But more importantly I expect IU to be able to score on some passing plays and if so, this game could turn out to be another shootout where anything can happen. Turnovers are always the X factor. At any rate, here's to a well fought injury free game, and a big Welcome to all Hoosier fans who can make the trip to Happy Valley. It should be a great atmosphere with 108,000 in the stands and perfect low 60s weather by game time. Note: our famous creamery ice cream is finally available in Beaver Stadium for those who desire to partake.

I'd say it's a good secondary. Idk about Elite. Allen coaches them better. Fant is a top tier CB. Crawford is one of the best S in the Big Ten. Definitely a lot more talent and depth.
Definitely good, and with some quality depth. But it’s not one of the best in the country.

Barkley was very impressive against Iowa For whatever reason, he was not impressive last year against IU.....and I say that knowing that IU was focusing on him, and that the IU defense played very tough. He made 6 or 7 runs against Iowa that were more skillful than any against IU. Maybe he wasn't feeling good that day. Maybe he wasn't motivated. Who knows.

PSU was very lucky last yaer and needed it. I agree that this years game will not be as close. Barkley's now the Heisman leader and will be motivated going into the game.

hello all,

Both are huge (Gesicki is 6'6 and Johnson is 6'4) physical players who catch the ball well and will be key to a nittany lions victory this week. The way I believe Indiana beats PSU is by taking away their other threats and just contain Barkley as best as you can. Make no mistake, Barkley is going to have his plays, we're talking about a guy who might be the best RB the Big 10 has seen in 20 years. He is impossible to stop entirely but what you can do (which Iowa did very well) is contain the rest of the team and force psu into long drives. Psu isn't great in the red zone so if all they have that is working is barkley, you may be able to keep the game close and then who knows what will happen.

Cheers

As a PSU fan, I believe that Indiana has a much stronger shot in this game than many pundits think. Barkley was showcased last Saturday on national TV and he likely won't be as big of a factor in this game. He looked tired and a little gimpy by games end. But more importantly I expect IU to be able to score on some passing plays and if so, this game could turn out to be another shootout where anything can happen. Turnovers are always the X factor. At any rate, here's to a well fought injury free game, and a big Welcome to all Hoosier fans who can make the trip to Happy Valley. It should be a great atmosphere with 108,000 in the stands and perfect low 60s weather by game time. Note: our famous creamery ice cream is finally available in Beaver Stadium for those who desire to partake.

No question Barkley was our focus last year, and no question Godwin hurt us with timely big plays.

Our offense is still unproven.
Lagow has a big arm, but can be panicked into bad throws.
Ramsey is a run/short pass dual threat, but his best game was against Virginia, who was keyed in on others and gave him good run chances. Can he repeat that against a Big Ten East leader?
OL is ungelled.
Our RB stable is decent to good, unless our freshman Ellison turns out to be the real deal (he had a nice nice game against Ga. Southern, but to quote Little Big Man, "them ain't helpless women and children waiting for you.") Can he repeat?
Our catchers are good.

On defense, we swarm a run game pretty well, but we have 6 guys who are "questionable." IMO we can't stop Barkley AND the pass game with our 2's - we need our best defense out there to give us a chance.

BUT, our return game and punt game and FG team are pretty good.
If they do their job, AND we get a decent defense, and we can run it a little, might have a shot.
We'll need 1-2 big plays, 1-2 takeaways.

See ya at the yard.

Reactions: 76-1

You guys did a great job on Barkley last year but one of the reasons was McSorely had a bad ankle and could not keep the ball on the RPO. So your Defense knew Barkley would be the only one running. Could be a bit different this year.

You guys did a great job on Barkley last year but one of the reasons was McSorely had a bad ankle and could not keep the ball on the RPO. So your Defense knew Barkley would be the only one running. Could be a bit different this year.
That is very true, also it sounds like we are going to be short at least a couple guys on the defensive side, and that is very concerning. If we are to have any chance we certainly cannot lose the turnover battle 5-0 like we did last year ,or we will get buried.

I don't know, guys. I bleed cream and crimson, but this is a rough matchup and I fear it could be a long afternoon for IU. I know the ground game finally came to life last weekend, but the opponent was Georgia Southern. The week before, against a solid but not great Virginia D, we were able to muster only 111 rushing yards. The O line still looks to be a work in progress, and who knows what kind of shape Lagow will be in after that big hit on Saturday. Also, while we've definitely got weapons in Cobbs and Hale, Penn State's secondary isn't too shabby even without John Reid. They're 20th nationally in passing yards allowed. And the entire D is formidable - - 32nd in rushing defense, 17th in total D and 2nd in scoring D (8.3 ppg).

Finally, even at full strength this would've been a tough contest for us, but the fact that a couple of key guys on D are banged up makes the situation all the more challenging.

I think Ramsey will end up getting significant playing time, but it's unrealistic to expect a whole lot from a relatively inexperienced kid playing in that kind of an environment for the first time.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong about all of this, but I think this is the toughest game (and the venue factors in) on the remaining schedule.

Hard to feel confident we can do more than "keep it close" given our history, but there's always a first.

Other than Mizzou 3-4 years ago I can't really remember a time in recent memory when we actually finished a game against a legit Top 20 at their place when we were close initially.

If we can run the ball, we have a chance.

If not, it will probably be one of those 38-24 "close for awhile but not really in the end" games that we seem to produce quite regularly these days.

Reactions: cshartle123
Hard to feel confident we can do more than "keep it close" given our history, but there's always a first.

Other than Mizzou 3-4 years ago I can't really remember a time in recent memory when we actually finished a game against a legit Top 20 at their place when we were close initially.

If we can run the ball, we have a chance.

If not, it will probably be one of those 38-24 "close for awhile but not really in the end" games that we seem to produce quite regularly these days.
Agree. IU will need to play this offensively much like they did against Ohio State, and throwing that often is difficult to sustain. I think PSU May let down a bit after such a hard game against Iowa, but this will be very difficult for IU.

So we should be scared of your weapons?

Simmie Cobbs-6"5
Donovan Hale-6"4
Ian Thomas-6"5

Yeah, our best recieving weapons are tall too. And better.

Hell, Tevin Coleman was more impressive than Barkley.

I mean with that kind of confidence why isn't Indana ranked in the top 25? I'm not trying to be arogant but it's not like ya'll have had much success vs psu in football since psu joined the big 10. Ya'll kick our ass in Basketball no doubt, but football hasn't been kind to IU vs PSU. I wonder what gives you so much confidence knowing Indiana has to go on the road and play PSU where they have lost exactly 1 game in the last 3 years. I'm not even going to get into your Idea that Coleman was better than Barkley... Coleman was a nice back for you guys. He isn't Barkley. There hasn't been a more dominant college RB since Reggie Bush. Good luck Saturday.

I mean with that kind of confidence why isn't Indana ranked in the top 25? I'm not trying to be arogant but it's not like ya'll have had much success vs psu in football since psu joined the big 10. Ya'll kick our ass in Basketball no doubt, but football hasn't been kind to IU vs PSU. I wonder what gives you so much confidence knowing Indiana has to go on the road and play PSU where they have lost exactly 1 game in the last 3 years. I'm not even going to get into your Idea that Coleman was better than Barkley... Coleman was a nice back for you guys. He isn't Barkley. There hasn't been a more dominant college RB since Reggie Bush. Good luck Saturday.
Well, in fairness to that poster, he basically said we have tall, athletic wideouts and TE, which is true. Also in fairness, you came on an IU board and opened by saying you didn't know much about our team and then proceeded to proclaim that we don't have the athletes to handle your wideouts. That may be true, and may not, our secondary is pretty good, the bigger issue is we are not very good at pressuring the QB. Given enough time McSorley can pick apart any secondary and that will be the issue. The other issue for us is a mediocre, at best, OL to this point, which doesn't allow us to run the ball well against good opponents. This leads to quick 3 and outs at times and a tired D where our 2's are not as good as our 1's. (Not to mention it looks like several 1's may be out this week)
I don't think anyone is saying we are a top 25 team and this will be a very difficult game for us to stay close. We will need to get some breaks
to stay in the game, but that is why they play the games.
I agree that Barkley is clearly a better all around back than Coleman, but Coleman was better than "a nice back for you guys", please.

Coleman broke the NCAA single-season rushing record without a quarterback, was a unanimous All-American, etc... He averaged 7.1 YPC for his CAREER. Barkley has a ton of promise, no doubt, and could accomplish any/all of those things but he hasn't yet.

Barkley is a nice back for you guys. He isn't Coleman.

Reactions: 76-1
Coleman broke the NCAA single-season rushing record without a quarterback, was a unanimous All-American, etc... He averaged 7.1 YPC for his CAREER. Barkley has a ton of promise, no doubt, and could accomplish any/all of those things but he hasn't yet.

Coleman was a very good back but Barkley is a once in a decade (or two) player. He’s much better.

Coleman was a very good back but Barkley is a once in a decade (or two) player. He’s much better.

Reggie Bush graduated a decade ago and Barkley is not on the same level. I would take Elliot over him as well. So not even the best of this decade, let alone the last two. Not a knock against him. He is remarkable. But has not yet had a season as good as Coleman's junior year, so it is all speculation. And anybody can speculate. I doubt you are a talent scout so I will hold your opinion to the same regard as the rest here.

Reggie Bush graduated a decade ago and Barkley is not on the same level. I would take Elliot over him as well. So not even the best of this decade, let alone the last two. Not a knock against him. He is remarkable. But has not yet had a season as good as Coleman's junior year, so it is all speculation. And anybody can speculate. I doubt you are a talent scout so I will hold your opinion to the same regard as the rest here.
Find 50 talent scouts and ask them if they think Coleman is better than Barkley. You’ll get 50 uniform answers that are different than your own.

So what you just wrote simply isn't true. Coleman had 2036 yds in 2014 which is extremely impressive yes, although it's good for 21st on the list for Single season rushing record. I remember that year well, Indiana had a nice team, Coleman is a nice back, I agree. He isn't a guy that's an every down back in the NFL though, thus why he was a 3rd round pick. Barkley won't make it out of the top 5 picks in the next draft. I understand having pride in your team, but comparing Coleman to Barkley is like comparing Jonathan Stewart to Adrian Peterson... Like I said I wish you all the best of luck and an injury free game on saturday, I believe Indiana is moving in the right direction and playing in the West they will be able to make up ground much quicker than in the east. I just don't know if 2017 is the year that they beat PSU for the second time when they are playing on the road and PSU has a top 5 team in the country...

Reactions: Ewezrfan1

What's pretty funny is this looks early similar to some of the things Iowa fans were saying last week leading up to the game... That Barkley is all hype, plenty of RB's better, etc. Well 358 yds later amazingly none of those people are anywhere to be found this week!

So what you just wrote simply isn't true. Coleman had 2036 yds in 2014 which is extremely impressive yes, although it's good for 21st on the list for Single season rushing record. I remember that year well, Indiana had a nice team, Coleman is a nice back, I agree. He isn't a guy that's an every down back in the NFL though, thus why he was a 3rd round pick. Barkley won't make it out of the top 5 picks in the next draft. I understand having pride in your team, but comparing Coleman to Barkley is like comparing Jonathan Stewart to Adrian Peterson... Like I said I wish you all the best of luck and an injury free game on saturday, I believe Indiana is moving in the right direction and playing in the West they will be able to make up ground much quicker than in the east. I just don't know if 2017 is the year that they beat PSU for the second time when they are playing on the road and PSU has a top 5 team in the country...

whoops typo! single-game** broken by Melvin Gordon and later Samaje Perine.

And this is college football... who cares what happens in the NFL? That would be like saying Frank Gore was a better college player than Reggie Bush because he lasted longer... nonsensical.

Edit: Again, I think Barkley is remarkable and will likely set a lot of records. But he hasn't yet. Heisman's aren't handed out in September for a reason (see: Kenny Trill). I think he has a huge day this Saturday.

whoops typo! single-game** broken by Melvin Gordon and later Samaje Perine.

And this is college football... who cares what happens in the NFL? That would be like saying Frank Gore was a better college player than Reggie Bush because he lasted longer... nonsensical.

Edit: Again, I think Barkley is remarkable and will likely set a lot of records. But he hasn't yet. Heisman's aren't handed out in September for a reason (see: Kenny Trill).

Fine,

Barkley is currently on pace to become the first fbs rb EVER to have 1000 yds rushing AND 1000 yds receiving in a single year. If he pulls off that feet will you still be going on about how Coleman is better? Barkley is the clear front runner for the Heisman trophy right now according to every news organization that covers college football. look at any and every nfl draft list and saquon barkley is listed as #1 or #2 overall on every single list. But yet your former RB who left 3 years ago who was taken in the 3rd round of the draft and isn't evfen the starter on his team is somehow more talented? Eh is what it is, I admire your pride in your program! I had a ton of fun with your fans about 6-7 years ago when we played you in DC. I was sitting right on the 45 next to the Indiana section, had a great time with your fans, some of the best in the Big 10!

Find 50 talent scouts and ask them if they think Coleman is better than Barkley. You’ll get 50 uniform answers that are different than your own.

Some people just can't understand tongue-in-cheek responses.. Ask 50 talent scouts if Barkley has had a season so far in his career better than Coleman's junior year.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Fine,

Barkley is currently on pace to become the first fbs rb EVER to have 1000 yds rushing AND 1000 yds receiving in a single year. If he pulls off that feet will you still be going on about how Coleman is better? Barkley is the clear front runner for the Heisman trophy right now according to every news organization that covers college football. look at any and every nfl draft list and saquon barkley is listed as #1 or #2 overall on every single list. But yet your former RB who left 3 years ago who was taken in the 3rd round of the draft and isn't evfen the starter on his team is somehow more talented? Eh is what it is, I admire your pride in your program! I had a ton of fun with your fans about 6-7 years ago when we played you in DC. I was sitting right on the 45 next to the Indiana section, had a great time with your fans, some of the best in the Big 10!

Haha really it was just tongue-in-cheek at your suggesting a unanimous All-American was "a decent back for you guys" .... Barkley is legit, I have said it ad nauseam in this thread. He is my current pick for Heisman, I hope he has all the success in the world because everything I have heard about him is great from work ethic to character.

Some people just can't understand tongue-in-cheek responses.. Ask 50 talent scouts if Barkley has had a season so far in his career better than Coleman's junior year.
Scouts and educated observers go just a little beyond statistics when evaluating players.

Well did Coleman ever lead his team to a Big 10 title and play in the rose bowl? Most scouts agree that you play to win the game, Coleman had more rushing yards although through 4 games this season, Barkley is only 30 yards from having more receiving yards this year than Coleman had his ENTIRE CAREER. If you genuinely believe that Coleman was a better college RB than Barkley, I assure you you will find less than 10 people on the planet that will agree with you

Haha really it was just tongue-in-cheek at your suggesting a unanimous All-American was "a decent back for you guys" .... Barkley is legit, I have said it ad nauseam in this thread. He is my current pick for Heisman, I hope he has all the success in the world because everything I have heard about him is great from work ethic to character.
I said he was a nice player, definitely better than decent but certainly not a transcendent talent... thus why he was taken in the third round of the draft. why are we even talking about a RB from 3 years ago anyway? Is coleman suiting up for IU this weekend? If he is I might care, but since Barkley is the only one among the two that will actually be playing this saturday it doesn't much matter. I'm just giving you a warning as sooo many Iowa fans (you guys are much nicer than them btw so thank you for that) were running their mouths last week about how Barkley isn't that great, he's solid but not spectacular they said, might not even be the best RB in the Big 10, blah blah blah. Well this week those fans are eating serious crow after Barkley just made a highlight reel out of their defense. As I mentioned earlier, somehow Barkley has managed to actually get better than last year, don't rest on last years laurel's of being able to neutralize him, he is an entirely different beast this year particularly with his improvement in the passing game. Not many people realize that Saquon Barkley leads the Big 10 in both Rushing AND Receiving right now...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT