ADVERTISEMENT

Progress being made in Chicago

What would you recommend I do to decrease the murder rate in Chicago?

It’s as if you think regular people in the city just living their lives are somehow responsible for the crime problem.
Seems fairly obvious... The people of Chicago and other dangerous cities (Including Indianapolis) should just use some Common Sense and quit voting for Democrats...

Cause and Effect. Top 7 most dangerous cities are All run by Democrats and have been for awhile...

Reactions: DANC and stollcpa
Charlotte is cute. I know a lot of failures that moved there because they couldn’t hack it in a real city.

Charlotte is an awesome city. They've done a fantastic job growing the region there. Chicago is an amazing city, too. An absolutely incredible place to live. I don't get the obsession people have with trashing somebody else's home, particularly when both have so much going for them. Both Charlotte and Chicago have a lot of strengths and many problems to deal with. The unhealthy obsession with Chicago isn't supported by the data (unless they're just apoplectic about Columbia, SC and Birmingham, AL). Similarly, the insistence that people outside of NYC/Chicago/LA are bumpkins is just silly.

Reactions: Spartans9312
What do you recommend for the 27 cities (Including Indianapolis) who have a murder rate higher than Chicago?

That's because they have already fixed Birmingham, AL and Columbia, SC and have worked their way to Chicago. Chattanooga, TN and Augusta, GA are next.

That's because they have already fixed Birmingham, AL and Columbia, SC and have worked their way to Chicago. Chattanooga, TN and Augusta, GA are next.
Crime is surging everywhere. The numbers sound more shocking the bigger the city. Criminologists are opining that it is a product of financial/social pandemic consequences. It will be interesting to see if it's sustained or declines when pandemic numbers drop

Reactions: hoosboot
The numbers sound more shocking the bigger the city.

The aggregate numbers are what some folks quote when the rates should be at least as disturbing. But that would only matter if the people gleefully quoting the aggregate numbers were actually interested in addressing problems, policy, and issues. I don't see much evidence of that in the "Chicago is a shithole" crowd.

The aggregate numbers are what some folks quote when the rates should be at least as disturbing. But that would only matter if the people gleefully quoting the aggregate numbers were actually interested in addressing problems, policy, and issues. I don't see much evidence of that in the "Chicago is a shithole" crowd.
i've been reading a lot about this, as crime here is off the charts, and there really isn't much explanation for it other than the pandemic. it's getting back to like early 90s

i've been reading a lot about this, as crime here is off the charts, and there really isn't much explanation for it other than the pandemic. it's getting back to like early 90s

It's an interesting topic, but from what I've seen the pandemic has exacerbated problems that have been simmering for a while. As such, I suspect it's a combination of issues where the pandemic is the spark that ignited the combustible material lying there.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
It's an interesting topic, but from what I've seen the pandemic has exacerbated problems that have been simmering for a while. As such, I suspect it's a combination of issues where the pandemic is the spark that ignited the combustible material lying there.
winter is coming and that always helps. cooling off period, literally. then hopefully by spring we have the pandemic under control and the numbers decline

winter is coming and that always helps. cooling off period, literally. then hopefully by spring we have the pandemic under control and the numbers decline

From your mouth to God's ear. All kinds of crime escalates here when summer comes. Longer days, kids out of school, hotter temperatures (in multiple ways), and the like combine to drive it up. Until we really get through this pandemic, I suspect we'll have lots of issues to struggle with on all fronts.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Only 4 killed and 28 injured yesterday in mostly peaceful gunfire,

The old days of being a great place to live may be coming back one day.
I live in NC Indiana (Kosc Co to be exact). My better half and I took our daughter to CHI last weekend for some culture (we did the Van Gogh Immersion Experience at the Germania Center downtown and the Frida Kahlo exhibit at the College of DuPage in the afternoon). We hit downtown around 9:30 am and walked around for HOURS afterward, had lunch and then walked around again...no gangs of wild dogs taking over the city, no bullet proof vests, no bunkers, no menacing folks etc. just a lot of people walking their dogs, jogging, riding bikes and tourists enjoying all that is CHI in the summer. The most lawlessness we experienced was a young lady finishing her hand-rolled and tossing it to the ground like it was a cigarette butt. That made me chuckle!!!

Upon my return to Mayberry, a number of folks questioned our judgement, wondering why we would subject our 10 year old daughter to a war zone...the questions they asked were astounding (e.g. were you able to find a place to eat given that everything is in shambles, boarded up etc.?). DAFUK planet are you from?

Y'all have been scared out of minds, played...you've allowed your minds to be controlled. Get bloody help!! Go see for yourself...might do you some good.

Crime is surging everywhere. The numbers sound more shocking the bigger the city. Criminologists are opining that it is a product of financial/social pandemic consequences. It will be interesting to see if it's sustained or declines when pandemic numbers drop
Just wait until the GOP succeeds in getting abortion banned. Violent crime will SKYROCKET.

Just wait until the GOP succeeds in getting abortion banned. Violent crime will SKYROCKET.
You think? In regards to your above Chicago post and crime what you write is true. The same holds for most cities, but it misses the point. The point is that we are seeing an enormous amount of violent crime all over the country. Kids, little kids, being shot. That's a problem we should all care about - not well it's confined to shitty neighborhoods - my hood is great!

What's more perception matters. From people leaving the states to businesses looking to relocate.

Reactions: stollcpa
I live in NC Indiana (Kosc Co to be exact). My better half and I took our daughter to CHI last weekend for some culture (we did the Van Gogh Immersion Experience at the Germania Center downtown and the Frida Kahlo exhibit at the College of DuPage in the afternoon). We hit downtown around 9:30 am and walked around for HOURS afterward, had lunch and then walked around again...no gangs of wild dogs taking over the city, no bullet proof vests, no bunkers, no menacing folks etc. just a lot of people walking their dogs, jogging, riding bikes and tourists enjoying all that is CHI in the summer. The most lawlessness we experienced was a young lady finishing her hand-rolled and tossing it to the ground like it was a cigarette butt. That made me chuckle!!!

Upon my return to Mayberry, a number of folks questioned our judgement, wondering why we would subject our 10 year old daughter to a war zone...the questions they asked were astounding (e.g. were you able to find a place to eat given that everything is in shambles, boarded up etc.?). DAFUK planet are you from?

Y'all have been scared out of minds, played...you've allowed your minds to be controlled. Get bloody help!! Go see for yourself...might do you some good.

Damn Chicago Sun Times!!!

I guess they're fooling All of us... 🙄

Maybe we can get some more accurate news from the Chicago Tribune.....:

Hmmmn, must be a couple of right wing rags... Those stories Can't be true.. 🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: DANC

That poster was up in Old Town, which is still safe during the day (for the most part). Then he was out in Dupage lol, which is night/day vs. Chicago.

Most of the shootings and issues are confined to specific areas, though Streeterville and other Near North areas are looking less safe than they used to be.

2021_city_map_090321.png

That poster was up in Old Town, which is still safe during the day (for the most part). Then he was out in Dupage lol, which is night/day vs. Chicago.

Most of the shootings and issues are confined to specific areas, though Streeterville and other Near North areas are looking less safe than they used to be.

2021_city_map_090321.png
NBC tv Chicago had a piece on shootings having doubled on the Expessway ( probably just more right wing propaganda [DWS]... ) 🙄

My Indianapolis neighbor fairly recently married an attractive Bangkok lady some sixteen years his junior.

She has visited Chicago three times in the past month. Once with her husband and twice with two female Thai friends. Shopping on the Near North Side, especially the Chanel shop, is her favorite pastime.

To my amazement she is reticent about walking our neighborhood, but has no qualms about walking the area north of the Chicago River. She must have posted fifty pictures of selfies in various Chicago locations on Facebook for her friends back home in Thailand.

SHOALS, Ind. (WISH) — A 22-year-old was arrested after the shooting death of a 39-year-old man Monday afternoon in Martin County, Indiana State Police said in a news release on Tuesday.

Wait! Shootings happen outside of Chicago??? But not in small towns, right??? But, not near Loogootee, IN, right???

:rolleyes:

Seems fairly obvious... The people of Chicago and other dangerous cities (Including Indianapolis) should just use some Common Sense and quit voting for Democrats...

Cause and Effect. Top 7 most dangerous cities are All run by Democrats and have been for awhile...
76-1, is it the policies of the Dem mayors which cause violence or the fact voters who live in urban cities vote for Dems?

Glad things worked out for you.

Reactions: Indinia Hoosiers
You should have taken your daughter where the poor folks live and crime rages. It sounds like she got the white privilege tour.

You should have taken your daughter where the poor folks live and crime rages. It sounds like she got the white privilege tour.

It's just good that there's a thoughtful discussion happening about urban policy and no one offered shallow drivebys that thoughtlessly brought race into it...oh, wait.

@mcmurtry66 , is this what you mean by sniping? Or is it just when someone notes that stoll really seems eaten up by anger? Asking for a friend.

It's just good that there's a thoughtful discussion happening about urban policy and no one offered shallow drivebys that thoughtlessly brought race into it...oh, wait.

@mcmurtry66 , is this what you mean by sniping? Or is it just when someone notes that stoll really seems eaten up by anger? Asking for a friend.
yes it's snipe on your part, again. you aren't posting content. post content or if you're more interested in the posters than posting content just be a mod. you would be a good mod.

as for stoll you know nothing about him. he could hate the current state of politics and be drinking on the beach happy as a clam. your posting that he seems eaten up by anger is frankly idiotic. you'd have said the same about watching half the people watching iu playing iowa. dumb

yes it's snipe on your part, again. you aren't posting content. post content or if you're more interested in the posters than posting content just be a mod. you would be a good mod.

as for stoll you know nothing about him. he could hate the current state of politics and be drinking on the beach happy as a clam. your posting that he seems eaten up by anger is frankly idiotic. you'd have said the same about watching half the people watching iu playing iowa. dumb

I agree that stoll's post was dumb, but I still confused. Both things I said are sniping or just the one?

I agree that stoll's post was dumb, but I still confused. Both things I said are sniping or just the one?
All this anger stuff. I had a great day and ribeyes on the grill.

My son got the diverse view of Chicago, St Louis, Louisville, Memphis and other cities while playing AAU. Being one of two white kids on his team gave him and me a lot of great life lessons.

The white young kid mentioned in this thread doesn’t have any idea about all of Chicago, nor do I.

I will admit to anger and disgust watching this board every day the four years of Trump. Really shouldn’t be that awful for you guys if a few give you guys back some of the same stuff. I’ll probably grow tired of it soon. Maybe even tonight while enjoying dinner.

It's my common sense "opinion" that it's the Democratic administrations policies that create the circumstances for increased violence...
76-1, could you tell us just what are the Dem mayor's policies which encourage violent crimes?

This touches on it. Some real. Some perceived. Dem prosecutors play a role with bond, charging, Recs, sentencing recs, parole, which isn't touched upon in article

MM66, so according to your link Dem mayors blame the availability of guns and want to defund the police.

Meanwhile Dem prosecutors are focusing on major crimes instead of minor crimes when everyone knows minor crimes which go unprocecuted eventually leads to a wave of
major crimes ( Broken Windows theory).

Very interesting.

MM66, so according to your link Dem mayors blame the availability of guns and want to defund the police.

Meanwhile Dem prosecutors are focusing on major crimes instead of minor crimes when everyone knows minor crimes which go unprocecuted eventually leads to a wave of

Very interesting.
And I believe the lion's share of it stems from a lack of money and opportunity and guidance. Guns and cops and prosecutors are the consequence

Reactions: stollcpa and hoot1

The amount of repeat offenders in urban America is not just discouraging, it's downright maddening.

The reasons behind recidivism and the challenges in how to address them would be an interesting topic.

More relaxed prosecution and sentencing may work or be beneficial for drug charges, but it doesn't seem like a good idea related to other offenses:

This list is growing rapidly

• Wow

How far south did you go in Chicago?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT