ADVERTISEMENT

Progress being made in Chicago

If you're middle class or above it's always been a great place to live. Pretty much the same in most metros across America, except in CA, where you need to pretty much be rich for it to be affordable. The killing has nothing to do with people who didn't live in impoverished areas. Always been that way.

If you're middle class or above it's always been a great place to live. Pretty much the same in most metros across America, except in CA, where you need to pretty much be rich for it to be affordable. The killing has nothing to do with people who didn't live in impoverished areas. Always been that way.
You are a good spin doctor, It certainly was a good/fun place to live in the early days out of school. Hope that it gets more under control soon.

Reactions: Lying Liar
Dude, you are clueless. The Chicago Public Schools are a fracking nightmare. There is no way you would send your child to one of those schools. Hell the majority of the teachers in the Chicago Teachers Union don't send their kids to CPS.

If you're raising a family, you and your spouse better make close to $200,000 a year to even keep your head above water, if you want to live in the city.

Most sane places in the country would consider that well off.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
Dude, you are clueless. The Chicago Public Schools are a fracking nightmare. There is no way you would send your child to one of those schools. Hell the majority of the teachers in the Chicago Teachers Union don't send their kids to CPS.

If you're raising a family, you and your spouse better make close to $200,000 a year to even keep your head above water, if you want to live in the city.

Most sane places in the country would consider that well off.
Dude, you're the one that is clueless. If you're middle class or above, as I stated, you don't live in a place where your kids will go to Chicago public schools. It's never been that way. You'll more than likely live in a suburb and send your kids to those schools. Only the poor or working class send their kids to public schools in Chicago and the ones who live in wealthier downtown neighborhoods or in the high rise condos send their kids to the private schools. Oh, and if you're educated and work a white collar job you and your spouse will easily make a combined income of $200,000 per year. Higher standard of living means much higher salaries than most other places.

Couldn’t this be rolled into one of the other “Chicago sucks” threads?

I like a good Lightfoot tee off as much as the next guy but it’s becoming an obsession for some of the posters on this board.

At some point you push me to step up and defend my city.

Hope Chicago doesn’t catch Indy. Let’s use basic arithmetic vs parroting your orange messiah:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/pictures/murder-map-deadliest-u-s-cities/

https://www.mapquest.com/travel/25-most-dangerous-cities-in-the-us-in-2020/

Looking forward to a reasonable rebuttal vs being called a hillbilly. A man can dream.
Aren’t you the one that calls people hillbillies?

Anyway, it says something pretty clear that none of these cowards ever step up to defend their Indiana shit hole town or Florida retirement community when bashing Chicago.

Big cities have big city problems, Chicago’s are worse than usual right now. Bad governance is a big reason why.

But you do miss out on a lot when you live in a cultureless hellhole like most in this board. To them, a trip to Bloomington for a basketball game is like visiting Paris.

Anyway, it says something pretty clear that none of these cowards ever step up to defend their Indiana shit hole town or Florida retirement community when bashing Chicago.

Big cities have big city problems, Chicago’s are worse than usual right now. Bad governance is a big reason why.

But you do miss out on a lot when you live in a cultureless hellhole like most in this board. To them, a trip to Bloomington for a basketball game is like visiting Paris.
Me calling people hillbillies was retaliatory after being called Cletus and Jethro first. It became a boring game, so I’ve stopped.

None of those you speak of will admit where they live in Indiana or Florida which is telling. Another boring game.

Reactions: IU_Hickory

Yes, he is a 24 Karat hypocrite and a world class wannabe.

Reactions: DANC
Dude, you're the one that is clueless. If you're middle class or above, as I stated, you don't live in a place where your kids will go to Chicago public schools. It's never been that way. You'll more than likely live in a suburb and send your kids to those schools. Only the poor or working class send their kids to public schools in Chicago and the ones who live in wealthier downtown neighborhoods or in the high rise condos send their kids to the private schools. Oh, and if you're educated and work a white collar job you and your spouse will easily make a combined income of $200,000 per year. Higher standard of living means much higher salaries than most other places.

Isn't that precisely why it is hard to imagine the current cycle will ever improve? Suburban flight, primarily caused by higher levels of violence, taxes and cost of living (encompassing public education, square footage, etc.).

Marvin has been critical of the movement, but we can mostly agree on why it happened.

Me calling people hillbillies was retaliatory after being called Cletus and Jethro first. It became a boring game, so I’ve stopped.

None of those you speak of will admit where they live in Indiana or Florida which is telling. Another boring game.
Zville and Boca. That has never been a secret.

Go ahead with your standard "hillbilly" response.

Zville and Boca. That has never been a secret.

Go ahead with your standard "hillbilly" response.
I’m done with the hillbilly game.

I would never live there, but Zionsville is fine. Florida…. Not for me.

Do you claim Indy? I’m still waiting on a response to the crime stats I posted above. Kind of weird for you to pull Chicago out of the blue when you live next to a more violent city per the numbers.

"Got nothing against a big town
Still hayseed enough to say
Look who's in the big town...."

Reactions: DANC and ulrey
Bloomington isn't immune. I was at a gathering in the Pigeon Hill neighborhood a half hour ago and we heard rapid fire gunshots a couple blocks away, like someone emptying a clip. It wasn't fireworks. Within a couple minutes, the cavalry started arriving. A shit ton of them.

So…. Anyone have thoughts as to why Indy is more violent than Chicago?

Who cares. Hoops doesn’t live there. Poking hoops is what’s fun. Crime is everywhere
Agreed, but the thread is about how violent Chicago is created and supported by people who live in/adjacent to Indy. Fair question, no?

Couldn’t this be rolled into one of the other “Chicago sucks” threads?

I like a good Lightfoot tee off as much as the next guy but it’s becoming an obsession for some of the posters on this board.

At some point you push me to step up and defend my city.
If you wanna defend your city, elect a real mayor next time!

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and IU_Hickory
Agreed, but the thread is about how violent Chicago is created and supported by people who live in/adjacent to Indy. Fair question, no?
Chicago is supposed to be (is still maybe) one of the worlds great cities.

No one talks about the crime problem in Indy because no one talks about the crime problem in Gary. It’s a bit player on the national/ global scale.

Yeah I don’t know. I don’t know what’s being measured as I don’t know what constitutes Indy vs Chicago . Stl is only 300,000 and that’s what our murder rate is predicated on, leaving out 2 million of us that call Stl home but actually live outside of the tiny city proper where crime stats are derived.

Violent Crime is everywhere and on the rise. Picking on a city like Chicago is only fun bc it gets hoops’ goat. The more interesting political issues are how blue urban Dems perceive the best way to fight it vs repubs. I’ve spent years in courts in Miami and Saint Louis city, heavy violent crime areas, and to me it’s a people, law enforcement, parole and sentencing issue. Dems see (in my eyes) as more of a gun control issue. They adopt this posture bc of racial sensitivities and politics imo. I think they’re partially wrong about guns, but I don’t know for certain. What I do know is that licensing and background checks do little to reduce the 400,000 guns in circulation and the illegal trade that implicates tje lion’s share of violent crime stats in places like Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, Stl, Miami etc. lastly unlike prior years violent crime is expanding - it’s no longer limited to a few streets as hoops wants to believe. In my own hometown a guy was found floating in the park Stan kroenke’s condo overlooks

Last edited:
Yeah I don’t know. I don’t know what’s being measured as I don’t know what constitutes Indy vs Chicago . Stl is only 300,000 and that’s what our murder rate is predicated on, leaving out 2 million of us that call Stl home but actually live outside of the tiny city proper where crime stats are derived.

Violent Crime is everywhere and on the rise. Picking on a city like Chicago is only fun bc it gets hoops’ goat. The more interesting political issues are how blue urban Dems perceive the best way to fight it vs repubs. I’ve spent years in courts in Miami and Saint Louis city, heavy violent crime areas, and to me it’s a people, law enforcement, parole and sentencing issue. Dems see (in my eyes) as more of a gun control issue. They adopt this posture bc of racial sensitivities and politics imo. I think they’re partially wrong about guns, but I don’t know for certain. What I do know is that licensing and background checks do little to reduce the 400,000 guns in circulation and the illegal trade that implicates tje lion’s share of violent crime stats in places like Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, Stl, Miami etc. lastly unlike prior years violent crime is expanding - it’s no longer limited to a few streets as hoops wants to believe. In my own hometown a guy was found floating in the park Stan kroenke’s condo overlooks
That idea makes crime in Indy even more interesting from a statistical perspective considering everything inside of 465 has increased the population which in theory could dilute their ratio based on lower population density. If we’re given higher population density = more crime.

Indy is the 16th largest city in the US and still has enough violent crime to make the list. Yikes. Maybe they could gerrymander their crime map to include Zionsville, Brownsburg, etc.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
You’re acting like this isn’t the case with every city. Chicago is 3 million people. The metro area is 10 million. If you add those 7 million it dilutes Chicago’s crime stats quite a bit no?

Reactions: mcmurtry66
That idea makes crime in Indy even more interesting from a statistical perspective considering everything inside of 465 has increased the population which in theory could dilute their ratio based on lower population density. If we’re given higher population density = more crime.

Indy is the 16th largest city in the US and still has enough violent crime to make the list. Yikes. Maybe they could gerrymander their crime map to include Zionsville, Brownsburg, etc.

Most of the rates per 100k are pretty consistent across most of those cities.... until you get to the extreme outliers in the top 4 or so, where the rates are 2-3x as high as most cities.

Not really sure anyone should/ would be surprised that Baltimore and STL are fairly extreme outliers when it comes to homicide rates.

You’re acting like this isn’t the case with every city. Chicago is 3 million people. The metro area is 10 million. If you add those 7 million it dilutes Chicago’s crime stats quite a bit no?
Probably true except I don’t know what crime is like in the metro.

Most of the rates per 100k are pretty consistent across most of those cities.... until you get to the extreme outliers in the top 4 or so, where the rates are 2-3x as high as most cities.

Not really sure anyone should/ would be surprised that Baltimore and STL are fairly extreme outliers when it comes to homicide rates.

Random trivia those are the two largest cities in America without counties

Agreed, but I do find Indy’s vs Chicago’s numbers interesting because I’m very familiar with both cities.

My only conclusion is the OP was told there would be no math.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT