ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty interesting in-depth IndyStar article on the offseason with Tom Allen

A few things...
1. People are saying Hiller will be on a short leash this year. What the hell was he on last year after the abysmal performance of the OL in 2020. How many "red lines" does he get?

2. CTA did sound very spooked by last season and confused and unsure of himself. Very different from years past.

3. Six players came in after last season, but one of them was Micah McFadden and dollars to donuts he organized that - even knowing he probably wouldn't still be here. He will be sorely missed for a generation.

4. Micheal Penix was light years better than our other QBs. The best bet was to build up MPs confidence in his body than to coach up our other QBs to his level. How injured was he last season vs. shutting it down because it wasn't worth it?

5. MP was exhibit A-C of players that were injured and checked out. He was a statue on the sideline and cared less about the action on the field than a six year old playing football with his dad in the South endzone.

6. Walt Bell is a very questionable hire until proven otherwise.

7. Defense should thrive with simplicity.

8. This is the least optimism I've had since at least 2012.

A few things...
1. People are saying Hiller will be on a short leash this year. What the hell was he on last year after the abysmal performance of the OL in 2020. How many "red lines" does he get?

2. CTA did sound very spooked by last season and confused and unsure of himself. Very different from years past.

3. Six players came in after last season, but one of them was Micah McFadden and dollars to donuts he organized that - even knowing he probably wouldn't still be here. He will be sorely missed for a generation.

4. Micheal Penix was light years better than our other QBs. The best bet was to build up MPs confidence in his body than to coach up our other QBs to his level. How injured was he last season vs. shutting it down because it wasn't worth it?

5. MP was exhibit A-C of players that were injured and checked out. He was a statue on the sideline and cared less about the action on the field than a six year old playing football with his dad in the South endzone.

You are most correct. I wouldn't be optimistic either if I felt like that.

A few things...

We don't know what the issue is with Hiller not being let go. Until it comes out all anyone can do is speculate and that is all it is. My issue isn't just last season but the lack of development of OL players through the years. Things are different this season with the OC and HC working with the OL, will it be enough we will see.

I like the changes we have seen but agree Bell is a show me hirer as he has been a very sought after and good OC at a young age but hasn't done so well at a couple of stops. I see improvement with most of the coaches brought in and I am optimistic they will improve this football team.

This is the least optimism I've had since at least 2012.
I don't know what to expect. I wonder if the staff even does at this point.

I've never seen change like this in the decades I've been following IU football. Two new coordinators. Other coaches in, other coaches out. 27 guys out through the portal, second nationally only to Maryland, I believe, in number of portal departures. Thirteen guys in through the portal. One encouraging note regarding the portal activity; according to PFF, IU has gained about 5,000 P5 snaps through the portal and lost just over 2,000. That's a huge net gain in valuable experience.

2-10? 6-6? 8-4? It's anybody's guess.

Go Hoosiers!

How can you possible know if QBs will be better prepared under Bell? It's not like the guy has this incredible resume as an offensive guru. He has some experience as an OC which is good but nothing about him screams success. Let's hope he isn't just another old time CTA connection.
You’re underestimating just how broken MP was. He’s done as a QB IMO. It looks like the guy from MO will at least be competent.

I hope he does great.

If you are trying to imply that his issues in Btown were somehow IU or coaching related...you have lost whatever credibility you had left.

An insane notion.
To hell they weren’t!

His injuries were unfortunate but Nick Sheridan DeBord Jr. didn’t help his problems last year. His position coaching sucked….just like the QB coaching vs. Ole Miss sucked in the bowl game. You take a RB who is churning off 8-10 yards a pop, going down to score, and suddenly switch gears and decide to have your QB with a hurt shoulder throw the ball around for the win. Genius.
The position coach in B-town sucked and he happened to be the OC.
If he was so good, Kalen DeBoer would have hired him as his OC at Washington. That sure didn’t happen.

To hell they weren’t!

His injuries were unfortunate but Nick Sheridan DeBord Jr. didn’t help his problems last year. His position coaching sucked….just like the QB coaching vs. Ole Miss sucked in the bowl game. You take a RB who is churning off 8-10 yards a pop, going down to score, and suddenly switch gears and decide to have your QB with a hurt shoulder throw the ball around for the win. Genius.
The position coach in B-town sucked and he happened to be the OC.
If he was so good, Kalen DeBoer would have hired him as his OC at Washington. That sure didn’t happen.
He was injured.

Period.

Just stop.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Would not shock me in the least if those two dominate the PAC12 for the next two years. I fully expect it.
I wish the kid well. He's an enormous talent and, from all accounts, a hard worker. He's also extremely injury-prone. I'm not immediately recalling another IU player with four season-ending injuries - - ever.

Washington needs a game-ready backup.

Would not shock me in the least if those two dominate the PAC12 for the next two years. I fully expect it.

It would surprise the hell out of me. I'll grant you that going back to DeBoer was MP's best move, but I'm not seeing it. First thing, Washington's going to suck this year, even with DeBoer as head coach. They had less than 100 people attend their final open practice/scrimmage despite promoting it. And I agree with Court that MP's a broken QB, mentally as well as physically. Look at the SP practice reports below---doesn't sound like dominance. MP reports himself to be 100% physically, and hasn't claimed the spot over mediocre competition.

MP's got the advantage over the other two given his time with D, but I've seen warning signs. I can't find it, but one practice report said he had thrown 2 ints, one on a high throw, the other throwing late over the middle. Another said that players involved with Washington's downfield passing game were 'not on the same page'.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT